• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: Innovation Drives Nintendo And Always Will Because It's The Company's Mantra - Reveals His Favourite Meme After 15 Years At Nintendo.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

During the chat with IGN recently, the former Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aimé explained how the company's innovative ways (that have contributed to the growth, popularity, and success of the video game industry in general over the years) stem from a simple mantra on a plaque located within the executive area of Nintendo's Kyoto headquarters.

There is a plaque in the Nintendo executive area in Kyoto that says in Japanese, ‘Create Something Unique.’ This has been Nintendo’s mantra for decades. Within the video game space, Nintendo has innovated so often… from hundreds of games, consoles, controllers and peripherals. Just about every element of modern gaming was started by Nintendo.
He further stated how "everyone" at Nintendo challenged themselves to create something unique:

This focus on innovation runs throughout Nintendo and into the disciplines of Sales, Marketing, Operations, even Finance. Everyone challenged themselves to Create Something Unique.

Speaking to IGN recently, the now-former Nintendo of America president was asked "what his favourite Reggie meme" was, after 15 years at the company. Of course, it's that moment on-stage at Nintendo's E3 2007 press conference, when the world was introduced to Wii Fit and the Wii Balance Board.

There’s a meme compilation on YouTube that I got a kick out of seeing; all my funny and epic moments in one place! If I’m pressed to pick just one favorite meme, it would have to be when we launched the Wii Fit, and I was quoted as saying, ‘My body is ready!

Playing Devil's Advocate here but "create something unique" these days for them means Hardware rather than the software. SEGA have always been unique in the software department but Nintendo have only recently tried to make more unique games in regards of Splatoon, Ring Fit Adventure and ARMS.

Great Hair

Banned
A meme made him famous, he got awarded with a dubious spot on a hall of fame where a known cheater is a paid board member ... yet Satoru Iwata get´s nothing. One made/worked on games, the other was just a spokesman for Nintendo of Japan.

Wrong people getting awarded for doing but their jobs, not contributing at all. Where are the indies surviving on their own with 5, 3 or just 1 person? Doing PR for company X, should not give them any form of entitlement.

This guy was less annoying than Major Nelson or Greenborg while doing his duties. "Like you, i like video games! Thank you for the award" , an award that board members pay to be part of :

This is the website, with PAID board members (a cheater among them), from $200 to $2100 ...

No inductees from 2011 to 2014, none in 2016 ...all wishy-washy shite made by a bored person, no one knows anything about.

And care to explain, where Nintendo is innovative? Last time Nintendo tried to be innovative, this was their best : Virtual Boy 1996.

Wii Remote/Motions/Kinect 2007+ = PlayStation 2 Eye Toy 2003

Also where are the NEOGAF awards?
Based on public perception, contribution, image, reputation, results, work? Should we not have at least a thread with the companies, peoples who really pushed the envelope for the past 30+ years? From SID MEIER, Suzuki to Myamoto etc.? And less PR dudes?

What a farçe.

Edit:
Im going one step further, and claim that a fictional character "Kevin Butler" has done more PR, a better job than Reggie. If we take public perception, acceptance, image, pr with marcus, commercials etc...

Last edited:

Jeeves

And care to explain, where Nintendo is innovative? Last time Nintendo tried to be innovative, this was their best : Virtual Boy 1996.

Wii Remote/Motions/Kinect 2007+ = PlayStation 2 Eye Toy 2003
On the off chance that you're serious...you do know that innovation can be about more than being the first to think of something, don't you?

And if you're kidding, well done, I got a good laugh.

Great Hair

Banned
you do know that innovation can be about more than being the first to think of something, don't you?

Gaming wise i would call Splatoon innovative, a new take on MP and to some extent Pikmin. Before that though, nothing on the same vein as let´s say : Halo MP, Dreamcast Online, Ico 2, Socom MP, FF11, GT to Silent Hill, PSVR, PlayStation Home, Eyetoy.

How can you be innovative, many years later when someone else has done it years prior? Nova = from NEW, in short something NEW, never seen before, made etc.

Okay! the gameboy had a fucking portable printer, i will give you that!

A meme made him famous, he got awarded with a dubious spot on a hall of fame where a known cheater is a paid board member ... yet Satoru Iwata get´s nothing. One made/worked on games, the other was just a spokesman for Nintendo of Japan.

The part about Nintendo not being innovative doesn't even annoy me anymore, but this part gets me. Are you implying that Iwata, one of the all time most beloved figures in gaming, if not THE most beloved, is somehow overshadowed by Reggie?

Innovation drives every successfully Company not just Nintendo.

Nintendo has been driven by trash ideas for a while that's why their Wii U sucked....

Abandon thread guys, it's now "Wii U sucked" territory. Reggie was a rockstar, let's end it on that note.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Probably the last thing I think about when I think about Nintendo is "innovation".

6tb.gif

Terce

Edit: Im going one step further, and claim that a fictional character "Kevin Butler" has done more PR, a better job than Reggie. If we take public perception, acceptance, image, pr with marcus, commercials etc...

Preach!

I used to actively watch Kevin Butler commercials where I would just tune out Reggie for being yet another out of touch boomer.

Great Hair

Banned
Are you trying to imply this thing was any good?

It worked, they released 5? game collections and for 2003, you like it or not, was revolutionary. Not sure the public perception of it, but i think it got somewhat successful. Again they supported the damn thing for like 5 game collections.

hunthunt

Banned
Fantastic games with a clear vision of good gameplay and steady level of greatness: true

Innovation: give me a fucking break, they haven't invented a shit in their life.

Of course that Sony, Microsoft or anyone could have come up with stuff like Wiiu and Switch but they want to sell 100 million consoles., not 30.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Some weird console war stuff going on here. To claim that Nintendo does not innovate is pure willful ignorance.

They're basically stuck in 1996. I'm glad companies still exist like this to a degree but nothing really innovative about what they are doing.

Its like seeing the old popcorn poppers at the store, it puts a smile on my face.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Is this it? Being so easily triggered even likely on a daily basis? Sometimes it's sad seeing how fragile some of the trolls' mentally these days.

No creativity, can't even be funny, just straight up childlike ignorant.

Great Hair

Banned
The part about Nintendo not being innovative doesn't even annoy me anymore, but this part gets me. Are you implying that Iwata, one of the all time most beloved figures in gaming, if not THE most beloved, is somehow overshadowed by Reggie?

Na, just that Iwata did not get jackshit even postmortum while a nobody projected into your mind thanks a dumb meme got "elected" into one of the 2 or 3 or more? different hall of fame "institutions, awards" that exist. Which one is the real one, the one that counts?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walk_of_Game "defunct"

Known cheater is board member, paid one.

I mean, even Reggie knew ... "wtf? ME an award for talking on stage?" "Who are they? A just send a video message, of me giving my thanks!" ...

Iwata
joined HAL in 1982 as a programmer and helped create major games such as Balloon Fight, Kirby's Dream Land and EarthBound. In 1993, Iwata was promoted as the president of HAL Laboratory, at the request of Hiroshi Yamauchi, then president of Nintendo.

Reggie
Fils-Aimé had held previous sales and marketing executive roles at Procter & Gamble, Pizza Hut, Guinness, Derby Cycle, Panda Express, and VH1.

Our strategy is gaming for the masses - Reggie Fils-Aime (it worked while he was at MTV or VH1)
aka "kids, pestering their parents | no kids = no cash

One got the award, the other not. All what´s left is to give someone from the Encarta Team the same award, for his or her contribution aka burning CDs :p

#JM2C

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Fantastic games with a clear vision of good gameplay and steady level of greatness: true

Innovation: give me a fucking break, they haven't invented a shit in their life.

Of course that Sony, Microsoft or anyone could have come up with stuff like Wiiu and Switch but they want to sell 100 million consoles., not 30.
You’re right. The Wii only sold 30 million. The DS- what a joke only sold like what a few thousand?
Meanwhile Microsoft has 100 million seller console every generation!

NickFire

I can't argue with his company's mantra. I figured their time was up countless times, yet the Switch in my living room reminds me I was wrong every day.

zenspider

Playing Devil's Advocate here but "create something unique" these days for them means Hardware rather than the software. SEGA have always been unique in the software department but Nintendo have only recently tried to make more unique games in regards of Splatoon, Ring Fit Adventure and ARMS.

That's nothing to sneeze at though, and I think turning a major franchise like Zelda upside-down should be considered a kind of innovation, as are "smaller" games like Tetris 99.

They're less experimental than the Wii/DS days for sure, but comapred to the Gamecube days their swashbucking.

jdforge

Banned
Well, they have come up with something new each console generation except for the Gamecube.

They had the GBA Player adapter for GameCube.

There was also the mini disc which while hampered storage, vastly reduced loading times.

And also the Win button on the GameCube controller.

That's nothing to sneeze at though, and I think turning a major franchise like Zelda upside-down should be considered a kind of innovation, as are "smaller" games like Tetris 99.

They're less experimental than the Wii/DS days for sure, but compared to the Gamecube days their swashbucking.

Yeah, they are definitely one of the few to try something new with their franchises at least.

I actually liked some of the stuff they did on Gamecube as Pikmin is a great franchise.

zcaa0g

Banned
How about instead of innovation, add analog triggers to the controllers, add an onboard NIC to the Switch dock and instead of boop boop boop noises and bubble text, quit being cheap asses and start using voice actors for your games. That would be a good start.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Gaming is a graphically demanding industry, gamers will always get pissed with Nintendo on every level, why? Because they neglect graphics.

Jubenhimer

but Nintendo have only recently tried to make more unique games in regards of Splatoon, Ring Fit Adventure and ARMS.

Nintendo has always tried to make unique games. It's just that the Wii U was a creative weak point for them. Before that, they would regularly put out games like Nintendogs, Brain Age, Rhythm Heaven, Daigassio Band Brothers, Endless Ocean, Big Brain Academy, Wii Fit, among others.

Videospel

They had the GBA Player adapter for GameCube.

There was also the mini disc which while hampered storage, vastly reduced loading times.

And also the Win button on the GameCube controller.
Yeah, I guess you could count the GBA player. I don't know whether to count the mini disc as innovative though. Wasn't it just to fit in with the cute little cube, or maybe to make piracy harder? What's the Win button by the way?

zenspider

I don't think so. The Switch could end up beating the DS in the long run. We already have 7 New IPs, plus several reinventions of established properties.

But you're talking about Wii Sports, Nintendogs, Brain Age, Super Mario Galaxy, Wii Fit, Ounden/Elite Beat Agents, Kirby: Canvas Curse, Electroplankton, Personal Trainer, Art Academy, Style Saavy, Link's Crossbow Training...

Fuck new IPs - these were new ideas in gaming. As much as I love current Ninty, they broke so much ground in that era it's ridiculous.

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

But you're talking about Wii Sports, Nintendogs, Brain Age, Super Mario Galaxy, Wii Fit, Ounden/Elite Beat Agents, Kirby: Canvas Curse, Electroplankton, Personal Trainer, Art Academy, Style Saavy, Link's Crossbow Training...

Fuck new IPs - these were new ideas in gaming. As much as I love current Ninty, they broke so much ground in that era it's ridiculous.

You also have to consider the platform and time period as well. Nintendo needed to prop up two platforms at the time, and Development costs for several of these games were significantly lower than today as well.

Wii/DS era Nintendo was groundbreaking, yes. But I wouldn't throw the Switch era under the bus either. Nintendo still continues to push the envelope of what interactive entertainment can be, even if it's not quite at the rapid pace of the previous generation.

jdforge

Banned
Yeah, I guess you could count the GBA player. I don't know whether to count the mini disc as innovative though. Wasn't it just to fit in with the cute little cube, or maybe to make piracy harder? What's the Win button by the way?

The form factor of GameCube could be argued in totality as an innovative engineering solution for a home console.

The Win button is in reference to the oversized A button on the GameCube controllers.

The Wavebirds were also innovative for that time.

zenspider

You also have to consider the platform and time period as well. Nintendo needed to prop up two platforms at the time, and Development costs for several of these games were significantly lower than today as well.

Wii/DS era Nintendo was groundbreaking, yes. But I wouldn't throw the Switch era under the bus either. Nintendo still continues to push the envelope of what interactive entertainment can be, even if it's not quite at the rapid pace of the previous generation.

I wouldn't either - I'm loving the Switch era output. I think they're integrating their experimental output from that era better now and segregating it from the mainstream channels (i.e. LABO and Ring Fit), but I don't think we'll ever see that kind of Wii/DS era without the 19.99-29.99 price point to play in.

Last edited:

GymWolf

So having a shitty underpowered tablet who can't do 2010 resolution, with a cheap plastic stand who scratch your screen and some of the worst joypad the world has ever seen (with serious drifting problems) and rehashing\squeezing the same fucking brands from 30 years ago is innovation?

tenor.gif

Everything has been done before, and everything after a certain point is just done for the sake of it. Nintendo has not been truly innovative since the 80s to be honest, and they love to gather praise for things they didn't even invent.

Top Bottom