• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie Fils-Aime Reveals Why Nintendo "Abandoned" F-Zero

PanzerAzel

I mean, hasn't this been said to death? They simply haven't had an idea that justifies a sequel. That is the mindset at Nintendo for most of their games and I don't necessarily disagree with them.

It's a little silly in case of F Zero though, since just having a new game with modern graphics would be enough for most people.
I’ve never bought this excuse, because they have absolutely no problem having ideas to justifying sequels…..as long as they sell a bajillion copies…..like Kart. No problem there.

This is nothing but their excuse to enable laziness because the RoI isn’t there enough to have them want to bother with the innovations that are at the core of their design philosophies.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

pgvy4hfi0pa41.jpg

nkarafo

It is the definitive F-Zero experience, that we can agree on.
Nah. F-Zero X has:

- Better controls and handling.

- Better difficulty curve and more balanced difficulty overall.

- Metal music. VS whatever the hell was that over distorted sound in GX.

Sure, GX had better graphics. But that was it. The controls were the biggest downgrade. X had the left/right side bumping on the shoulder buttons that also helped bump yourself into tight corners. It felt natural and awesome. GX had a single "attack" button that didn't feel.as good and the steering wasn't as tight.

As for Nintendo.not making a new F-Zero because they couldn't add something new to it... What a load of bullshit. As if just adding online multiplayer isn't enough. As if all Mario Kart games are that different compared to each other, eh?

coffinbirth

Nah. F-Zero X has:

- Better controls and handling.

- Better difficulty curve and more balanced difficulty overall.

- Metal music. VS whatever the hell was that over distorted sound in GX.

Sure, GX had better graphics. But that was it. The controls were the biggest downgrade. X had the left/right side bumping on the shoulder buttons that also helped bump yourself into tight corners. It felt natural and awesome. GX had a single "attack" button that didn't feel.as good and the steering wasn't as tight.

As for Nintendo.not making a new F-Zero because they couldn't add something new to it... What a load of bullshit. As if just adding online multiplayer isn't enough. As if all Mario Kart games are that different compared to each other, eh?
I go back and forth on this, but I'm currently siding with X.

Naked Lunch

Its simple really. Nintendo knows no one in their entire company can top what Sega did with F-Zero GX. The franchise was perfected then. Nintendo devs know it - its why they havent even bothered for nearly 2 decades.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
GX doesn't really have any fresh ideas over X, it's just a more modern version of the same thing (plus Story Mode, but that's hardly the main mode in the game). Do the Luigi's Mansion and Pikmin sequels have these dramatic new ideas over the originals? Do the MK games (there I would say what DD did counts, but magnetic tracks or the gliders, eh).

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
This is the most frustrating thing about Nintendo IMO.

Sometimes it seems they just refuse to revisit or update classic franchises because "they cant do something fresh with it". But every Pokemon game is basically the same thing ...

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
They abandoned F-Zero when they sent it to die on the GBA with GP Legend and Climax(Japan only). They could easily make a new F-Zero but Mario Kart brings the money so they won't.

The closest you'll ever get to F-Zero are the Big Blue and Mute City Mario Kart racetracks.

In a perfect world we'd have a 50 player F-Zero game on F-Zero GX's level. Go fast play fast.

Top Bottom