• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Regardless of frame rate... I refuse to buy any game that has screen tearing.

that's the beauty of VRR.

should invest in a TV with HDMI 2.1 (and pray your console game supports it lolol) or build a PC with a gsync monitor. let me tell ya playing at 165hz on a gsync monitor .... perfection. i bought a 120Hz Gsync TV too but i don't really expect many games on console to support it. still hook my PC up to it.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Screen tearing is the worst on xbox one, was pretty bad on fallout 3 and nv on the 360 and was even worst on red dead redemption for ps3

Didnt Fallout 3 run at like 22fps or something?
Vsync triple buffered or not was not going to save that game from being a smooth experience.

As I said im more of a PC gamer generally, but my XB1 and then XB1S then XB1X never really exhibited screen tearing, but as I said ive been on a freesync monitor pretty much since its introduction and prior to that I barely noticed it in console games.

Maybe just lucky with the games I would play.

Kenpachii

When i moved over to gsync, all that shit was gone forever. now whenever i see tearing on my mates PC i straight up just want to stop playing its horrible.

When i moved over to gsync, all that shit was gone forever. now whenever i see tearing on my mates PC i straight up just want to stop playing its horrible.
Yeah I used to game on PC with 144Hz/FreeSync. It was pretty amazing. I also used to cap my frame rate at 142fps just to make sure I didn't get any extra input lag. I also enabled vsync anyway as it usually worked better with vsync enabled.

Ok, cool but Guilty Gear Strive has a good amount of input delay nonetheless on Consoles.
Never played it, but games like Spider-Man, Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart and Horizon Zero Dawn are all vsynced and they're very responsive still. Also, DriveClub is vsynced and it has some of the best input responses even though it's only 30fps. I think TLOU2 is even more responsive than DriveClub too.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Never played it, but games like Spider-Man, Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart and Horizon Zero Dawn are all vsynced and they're very responsive still. Also, DriveClub is vsynced and it has some of the best input responses even though it's only 30fps. I think TLOU2 is even more responsive than DriveClub too.
You call this some of the best?

I dropped the game fast because of the high lag...

Last edited:

GymWolf

It's a non problem on pc and extremely rare on console (at least on exclusive console games).

But yeah, tearing is absolutely terrible to see.

GymWolf

Is it an OCD or spectrum/autism thing? Not meaning that comment to be rude, genuinely asking.
You don't need to have any patology to notice and hate tearing.

The screen literally breaks everytime you move the camera, you need to be blind to not see it.

It's by far more distracting than any aliasing or chromatic aberration effect.

You call this some of the best?

I dropped the game fast because of the high lag...

Hmm. Never seemed to be an issue for me. I'm saying for a 30fps vsynced game, the input response was very good. You have to consider all things. Are there more responsive games... of course, but for a vsynced 30fps game, DriveClub was very responsive.

But, then you take a game like Rocket League and enable vsync and it's unplayable (this is the only game where I cannot enable vsync)... so I guess I'm a hypocrite only on Rocket League.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
You probably skipped the Xbox 360 then.
I didn't remember it having noticeable more screen tearing compared to the PS3?
Vsync does have consequences in that it adds quite a bit of inputlag. Now that is on PC and consoles could be a different story but I don't see why it would of it's the same process.
Its a different story because of free sync and g sync.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Never play the PS5 version of Subnautica. Awesome game, horrifying performance. The screen tearing is all over the screen at all times, it's by far the worst I've seen since the PS360 days. There's no apparent reason whatsoever that this game shouldn't run at a locked 60 on that console, but that's Unity I guess.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
You could try upgrading to a better monitor with a not so low refresh rate. Change output resolution settings. I can think of other solutions other than trying to say it's the games. Ever try running a blu-ray remastered at 1080 through HDMI on an LCD with maximum 720 resolution? We're going to blame the blu-ray in that case? These are fixable problems...

assurdum

Banned
After played the last Watch Dog, I refuse to buy again a game by Ubisoft. Game is not bad at all but the graphic ugh is horrible. Worst use of raytraycing reflections hand down (all the cars reflected have no glass, it's very noticeable the hell ubi thinking o_O). Switched to 60 FPS, resolution drastically improve, though AA getting worse and graphic obviously is still the same shit. Like embarrassing, I can't even explain, seems too much "cheap" and low budget; and good Lord the vegetation seems fake as hell, especially in the foliage of some trees in the medium/long distance. If I was Ubisoft I take in serious consideration to revamp drastically their engine because their games lately show a graphic quite below the standard expectable by a AAA company.

Last edited:

RobRSG

I didn't remember it having noticeable more screen tearing compared to the PS3?

The X360 had better performance all around, but a lot of games had Vsync off. I remember mainly:

1 - Most of UE3 games with Vsync off.
2 - MT Framework games.
3 - Ubisoft games.
4 - Whatever outing from Platinum Games.
5 - Some Need for Speed games

Juza

literally can't play a game with screen-tearing! It makes me sick, headache and nausea :messenger_dizzy:

I remember Deus Ex: Human Revolution on Xbox360 had a horrible screen-tearing at launch made me drop it, and I played it later on PC.

Prekk

Neo Member
Screen tearing is the worst on xbox one, was pretty bad on fallout 3 and nv on the 360 and was even worst on red dead redemption for ps3
Red Dead Redemption on PS3 is fully vsynced. Horrible performance, yeah, but no screen tearing.

FeldMonster

I have never been able to see frame rate differences in games or pre-recorded game videos (though 24 fps movies annoy the heck out of me), and I certainly have never been able to notice screen tearing.

Top Bottom