• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reference to Xbox series X VR found in Flight sim source code

Romulus

I wish they would partner with HP to bring the Reverb G2 to the Xbox, or better yet partner with Oculus. Sadly I don't see either coming true

That would be ideal. That G2 has incredibly good resolution. I'd love to see flight simulator paired with that. Closed box 12TF? It would look glorious.

ZehDon

giphy.gif

Kagey K

Banned
VR is waaaaay ahead of were it was even 4 years, 8 is ridiculous. The technology is moving extremely fast.
It’s really not. I admit the quest and quest 2 are nice, but it’s not moving near at the pace it should be.

The games aren’t getting better, and adoption seems to have stalled.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Seems unlikely now, but maybe they will watch quest 2 and see how it goes. Having seen its performance, I can now see at least a low cost viable option that does not have screen door, which is a big deal.

Romulus

It’s really not. I admit the quest and quest 2 are nice, but it’s not moving near at the pace it should be.

The games aren’t getting better, and adoption seems to have stalled.

The games aren't getting any better? Let's do a comparison to 4 years ago and now. And VR has seen more AAA games in the last 16 months than its entire history, combined. I would even say that VR as a whole rivals console exclusives(especially on the xbox side)and many would agree.

Adoption "seems" to have stalled? Do you have recent Quest 2 and PSVR data? No, you don't because it hasn't been officially released yet.
But is that why more VR headsets are being announced because its stalled? Is that more games are being announced and getting VR modes? More than ever actually.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
The games aren't getting any better? Let's do a comparison to 4 years ago and now. And VR has seen more AAA games in the last 16 months than its entire history, combined. I would even say that VR as a whole rivals console exclusives(especially on the xbox side)and many would agree.

Adoption "seems" to have stalled? Do you have recent Quest 2 and PSVR data? No, you don't because it hasn't been officially released yet.
But is that why more VR headsets are being announced because its stalled? Is that more games are being announced and getting VR modes? More than ever actually.
Ok so instead of coming at me with my “made up numbers” how about you use facts and numbers to dispute it.

Tell me where I am wrong instead of being irrationally upset about it.

Because you provided nothing except a bunch of hurt feelings in that post.

Romulus

Ok so instead of coming at me with my “made up numbers” how about you use facts and numbers to dispute it.

Tell me where I am wrong instead of being irrationally upset about it.

Because you provided nothing except a bunch of hurt feelings in that post.

So, you come up with zero numbers, only opinions, yet I'm required to? Makes no sense.

And I told you where you were wrong. "VR got stale." Okay. PSVR and Quest make up a massive portion of VR growth and theres no recent numbers indicating anything other than oculus stating that Quest saies "exceeded expectations." So do you posses the numbers?

As for games, were where games like Half Life, The Walking Dead, Metal of Honor, Splinter Cell, Asgards Wrath, 4 years ago? Consoles would happy to get most of those titles.
The fact is there wasn't a single AAA game 4 years ago for VR, and I left off about 15 from PSVR and other PCVR games.

Hurt feelings? It's hard to feel anything when you bring nothing to the table but uninformed opinions. You basically copied Polygons headline from a few days ago and pasted it.

I guess you're just projecting? Its just a bizarre thing to even bring up feelings. I could understand if you had all those cold hard facts that were indisputable. You basically said "me no like VR, stale" and copied polygon's headline.

Last edited:

TBiddy

I don’t think Ms will waste the money, and I know for sure I won’t.
It’s still 5 mins away from ready, same as it was 8 years ago. IMO.

Agreed. If people want to fiddle around with VR - feel free, but it's definitely not for me.

Compsiox

Banned
Keep in mind that code is left in products all the time, from simply testing things.

That said, I pretty much expect Microsoft to make the plunge into VR this generation. Perhaps through a partnership with one of the existing big names.
Partner with Valve. Nothing on the market is better than their lighthouse tech.

Lower end headset and controllers with lighthouse tech would win the world.

JimiNutz

Banned
VR support is the one thing missing from Series X that I desperately want.
Hopefully this does mean VR support in future.

Would be funny if MS announce a VR partnership with an existing headset before Sony announce PSVR2.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Yeah I don't know, even when they announced VR for the Xbox one X they never released it.So I stay a bit suspicious about it.

Flintty

Probably Valve VR compatibility

It's a win-win situation.
Microsoft won't need to invest money in creating another VR to add to the pool, and at the same time will boost Valve's VR harware sales.
Plus, Steam games on XBOX, both sides win.

Also, Half Life 3

I hope they go in and support all PC headsets.

My concern is lack of DP though. Can they achieve it via USB?

Romulus

It’s still 5 mins away from ready, same as it was 8 years ago. IMO.

This is where I read your quote earlier. Extremely similar.

The VR revolution has been 5 minutes away for 8 years

But even the article you copied strongly disagrees with you about VR's rate of advancement:

VR is getting better and less expensive at such a ridiculous pace that it’s impossible to know when to jump in

Last edited:

Three

MS won't do it. Everything on the console points to unlikely. They chose slow USB ports, they chose slow wifi. I hope they do but their console hardware choices make future VR hardware support more flaky.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I wish they would partner with HP to bring the Reverb G2 to the Xbox, or better yet partner with Oculus. Sadly I don't see either coming true

I can't tell if you're aware or not, but Microsoft is already partnered with HP and Valve developing the Reverb G2 (Windows Mixed Reality).. Which is why the Reverb G2 is the first VR headset to get Microsoft Flight Simulator VR support this winter, or hopefully next month when the VR headset will be released. It isn't out of the realm of possibility that the XSX would be supported, albeit at 2160 per eye resolution it would most likely drain its resources pretty quickly without some form of DLSS tech.

..and I have it pre-ordered of course..

Last edited:
I can't tell if you're aware or not, but Microsoft is already partnered with HP and Valve developing the Reverb G2 (Windows Mixed Reality).. Which is why the Reverb G2 is the first VR headset to get Microsoft Flight Simulator VR support this winter, or hopefully next month when the VR headset will be released. It isn't out of the realm of possibility that the XSX would be supported, albeit at 2160 per eye resolution it would most likely drain its resources pretty quickly without some form of DLSS tech.

..and I have it pre-ordered of course..

id love to play FS in VR but even on my 3080 that sounds like a stretch.

is the Reverb any better than the Index? I have am oculus but am looking to add a second vr setup soon

nemiroff

Gold Member
id love to play FS in VR but even on my 3080 that sounds like a stretch.

is the Reverb any better than the Index? I have am oculus but am looking to add a second vr setup soon

For the Reverb G2 reports indicates yes. Here's an informal through the lens comparison.

This is not from final hardware, lenses are actually further improved since that video.

One potential exception is controller tracking where the Index appear more accurate.

Last edited:

IDappa

Wasn't there some sort of Microsoft valve news recently?. I know they recently allowed you to link steam friends to Xbox friends. What if they announced valves knuckles and be headset was compatible with Xbox one X while also helping push the headset into more markets (not currently available in Aus). Would be interesting, I may pull the trigger for one of I could use it on my PC and Xbox.

JCK75

I feel like if they adopt a Steam VR style model, they could support every option and IMO that would be the best way..
some people would rather buy a solid cheap option, I'd personally like to use my existing Index, Vive or Odyssey+ (I had a vive, got an Odyssey+ because it was cheap and something I could use on the go with my gaming laptop, upgraded to an index and have not yet sold my vive... but I'd gladly keep it for the series X if they support it)

pr0cs

I feel like if they adopt a Steam VR style model, they could support every option and IMO that would be the best way.
The hardware won't be the sticking point, adding support for that would likely be pretty straightforward and is probably what a lot of excitement would be around (VR in a close environment would likely mean a lot better performance than native PC VR).
The big sticking issue is software. Oculus already has it's own store, I can't imagine how hard it would be to convince them to port their software/store to xbox, agreements on profit sharing would be nightmarish.
The best part of xbox (closed system) is likely the biggest hurdle around getting pre-existing VR onto the system.

TheMan

I'm not convinced this means anything yet. They could just be hedging their bets and leaving the code in just in case since they're adding it to the PC anyway.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I feel like if they adopt a Steam VR style model, they could support every option and IMO that would be the best way..
some people would rather buy a solid cheap option, I'd personally like to use my existing Index, Vive or Odyssey+ (I had a vive, got an Odyssey+ because it was cheap and something I could use on the go with my gaming laptop, upgraded to an index and have not yet sold my vive... but I'd gladly keep it for the series X if they support it)

Microsoft could just bring their MR platform to Xbox. I see no reason why the Series X couldn't support any VR headset that MR supports.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
No fuckin way. Dude im not spendin 1000 dollars for a Valve headset. If they do this. Give us options please. Quest is just more reasonable

Last edited:
VR has to come to Xbox, whether Microsoft like it or not. Their best bet is to partner with someone who has their own headset or buy a company that wants to/is making a headset (Sega?)

Wonko_C

Maybe Phil saying something like "that's not where or focus is" is meant to be taken just like that: Not focusing on something implies they're doing (or at least planning) something but it's on the back burner for now.

He didn't say "Nope, we're 100% not doing VR at all". PR is gonna always cover their bases just in case.

BGs

Industry Professional
At first it was contemplated. But then the idea was dropped for Scarlett, both in VR and Mixed Reality.

We currently have no news on our team that this has changed.

This is not to say that such an option cannot be added in the near or distant future, or that MS will continue to test internally (I suppose it can). But if I have to give an opinion right now based on what is known "today" I would say that these traces of code are residuals of the initial idea / test that was not carried out in the end.

Wonko_C

At first it was contemplated. But then the idea was dropped for Scarlett, both in VR and Mixed Reality.

We currently have no news on our team that this has changed.

This is not to say that such an option cannot be added in the near or distant future, or that MS will continue to test internally (I suppose it can). But if I have to give an opinion right now based on what is known "today" I would say that these traces of code are residuals of the initial idea / test that was not carried out in the end.
Thanks for the clarification. One kinda forgets software isn't made in a single day and plans can change over the years.

Last edited:
Top Bottom