• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Reeee rumor] Sony to acquire Bluepoint Games very soon

Azurro

Banned
I got curious and found this article that seems to read something different: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...ecrets-of-ratchet-and-clanks-15-year-survival

At least it doesn't sound like Sony had it and just assigned it to them.

I'm just trying to understand the play. It doesn't make sense to me to purchase a company that doesn't have anything other than talent. As we know, talent can move and the studio would lose it's value.

Well, the way you are understanding this is not exactly how it works. A lot of the development studios create their own ideas and pitch it to publishers, who agree to bankroll the development. This usually includes ownership of the IP, that's why so few development studios own any.

Sony bought Insomniac because even if talent leaves every once in a while, there's still a lot of technology developed there that is very valuable and aside from that, creating the culture that allows the creation of consistent AAA titles is not exactly easy, you can take a look at Microsoft and 343 studios, they have failed at creating one from scratch even after throwing tons and tons of money at it, so there is value there.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Fully agree. Not saying they won't be successful on creating original contents, it is just Sony already have many top tier studios working on new games, it is so precious to have a top-notch studio that focuses on bringing classics into modern generation.

tenor.gif

Thirty7ven

Banned
I got curious and found this article that seems to read something different: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...ecrets-of-ratchet-and-clanks-15-year-survival

At least it doesn't sound like Sony had it and just assigned it to them.

I'm just trying to understand the play. It doesn't make sense to me to purchase a company that doesn't have anything other than talent. As we know, talent can move and the studio would lose it's value.

You’re thinking of talent as if these are football players. That’s the mistake a lot of people do, that’s why we see stupid shit like people following LinkedIn profiles.

It’s the structure, most importantly the management structure that really makes these studios what they are. And that takes a long time to get right, a lot of effort and trial and error.

Then when it comes to Sony at least, they seem to put a lot of weight also on the relationship a studio builds with the rest of WWS.

What leads me to believe that Blupoint might be purchased is exactly because Demons Souls wasn’t just an ambitious project that they passed with flying colors, but one where they worked with WWS in a much more extensive way than before.

Kerotan

I hope they remaster Motorstorm for the PS5 and the Resistance Trilogy too. Imagine it came with the multiplayer and Co op from R2! Apart from that I'd take a Killzone Trilogy remaster.

Interesting that a company who has shown absolutely zero gameplay chops is getting so many thumbs up here.

I hope Bluepoint has a bright future, but they literally copy other developers homework and make the graphics slightly better. Snooze.

That's probably the most disingenuous thing I've heard about bluepoint.

If it was so easy to do 'Slightly better' for classic games, why was MCC broken for years?

Allandor

Buying bluepoint should be relative cheap. Just because they don't have anything they own. They have knowledge and experience, but you can't buy that. Developers can leave anytime so you don't pay for that.
Or are there any IPs bluepoint owns?

Ar¢tos

Buying bluepoint should be relative cheap. Just because they don't have anything they own. They have knowledge and experience, but you can't buy that. Developers can leave anytime so you don't pay for that.
Or are there any IPs bluepoint owns?
They own a few IPs of the old days when they did their own games (a couple of indies that nobody even remembers)

I wonder if Bluepoint gave the Demon's Souls treatment to G-Police or Colony Wars, people would still say it doesn't count because it is a PS1 game?

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
That's probably the most disingenuous thing I've heard about bluepoint.

If it was so easy to do 'Slightly better' for classic games, why was MCC broken for years?

I have no idea why. I assume the code for different games provide vastly different challenges.

Still not going to give much credit to a company who has yet to make original gameplay for themselves.

Elios83

I think it's bound to happen at this point.
The studio fits all the criteria for an acquisition. It has been close for years, they have proven success stories working together, the working conditions in the studio are good, it's not a massively expensive studio.
I guess the biggest question is not if they're being bought by Sony but if they're going to make the big jump with their next title and do their own IP.
Maybe they could do something in between and could be tasked to do a sequel?

Last edited:
Top Bottom