• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Reeee rumor] Sony to acquire Bluepoint Games very soon

AmuroChan

This is not the kind of acquisition that will melt the internet, but from a business perspective it's a solid move. Bluepoint is the premiere remake studio in the industry and they have a long-running relationship with Sony. It makes sense for both sides.

Sony would’ve been better off acquiring From Software. That company is very well suited to be a Sony exclusive studio and they CLEARLY make some of the best video games.

That would suck - since it would be like Microsoft acqusitions designed to take away content from other players.

vpance

FromSoftware was bought in 2014 by Kadokawa. With Sony interested in CrunchyRoll and having the anime monopoly it's more likely that Sony will buy Kadokawa than MS.

Maybe they could be persuaded to sell off From? I mean, anything for the right price.

Anyways I see it as a good defensive move for Sony. BP were always going to be there for them but now they can potentially fire up BB2 or DeS2. From will be focused on Elden Ring for a while I think.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Maybe they could be persuaded to sell off From? I mean, anything for the right price.

Anyways I see it as a good defensive move for Sony. BP were always going to be there for them but now they potentially have BB2 and DeS2 in the making. From will be focused on Elden Ring for a while I think.
After the huge fame growth fromsoftware had they are definitely not going to sell them. Kadokawa is not in money problems and FromSoftware prints money for them.

I'd rather them acquire Square, as someone on this forum already brought up. It's not impossible and they'd be dominating the Japanese market even more.

Papacheeks

Banned
I'd rather them acquire Square, as someone on this forum already brought up. It's not impossible and they'd be dominating the Japanese market even more.

Square probably wants something up in the Billions for an acquisition. Remember that your not just buying the publishing house and studios under it but any debt, assets, holdings as well. Which makes the price very high than buying a singular studio.

Square probably wants something up in the Billions for an acquisition. Remember that your not just buying the publishing house and studios under it but any debt, assets, holdings as well. Which makes the price very high than buying a singular studio.
I'm fairly aware, if the net worth on Google is accurate then they're only (and I don't mean "only" ignorantly, but in comparison to Sony's size) worth $1.26 billion, so it's not out of question, it's whether or not Sony can profit and/or afford it pretty much.

But Google shows Bethesda's net worth is $3 billion but they got bought out for $7 billion so who knows, maybe it'd cost Sony $2-3 billion to acquire Square?

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
I'm fairly aware, if the net worth on Google is accurate then they're only (and I don't mean "only" ignorantly, but in comparison to Sony's size) worth $1.26 billion, so it's not out of question, it's whether or not Sony can profit and/or afford it pretty much.

But Google shows Bethesda's net worth is $3 billion but they got bought out for $7 billion so who knows, maybe it'd cost Sony $2-3 billion to acquire Square?

Yea it's way higher than that. Net worth is a collection of current stock price x shares and assets. The purchase price will more than likely be double that. Case in point Majong was bought for 2.7 Billion. And that literally is like one game/franchise that made money came from that deal. Imagine How much the final fantasy IP is worth? On top of also Hitman, Tomb raider they also own.

That is going to add up to more than 2-3 Billion. I mean if they have a good amount of debt they could buy them for 4 Billion. But it totally depends on how much there assets are appraised at.

Right now FF is on a high, Tomb raider is on a low, hitman is on a high.

I doubt they would be able to buy square for anything less than 4 Billion.

Last edited:

vkbest

Can someone explain whats the point of buying a studio that already made games for you exclusively since 2012?

I understand getting a third party studio that made games for both and then you want their exclusivity for yourself....but they already had that with BP and i dont even remember BP ever saying publicly that they would port any of their games to MS.

Quantic Dreams

kyoji

FromSoftware was bought in 2014 by Kadokawa. With Sony interested in CrunchyRoll and having the anime monopoly it's more likely that Sony will buy Kadokawa than MS.
not to mention sony and froms relationship goes wayyy back id like to think that means something as well.

Last edited:

SilentUser

Buying studios like Bluepoint would be great: they have a healthy relationship of years, plus they are doing Sony titles for a while. It's not like Switch or Xbox fans will miss Bluepoint games IP, which is something I really dislike when a big studio is bought by a company (Bethesda and other studios).

Sony would’ve been better off acquiring From Software. That company is very well suited to be a Sony exclusive studio and they CLEARLY make some of the best video games.

I’m getting to the point where I don’t think Sony wants to acquire any Japanese studios or even any major to fairly major studios in general. I think they will mostly target smaller studios if they do any more acquisitions.

Kokoloko85

I thought Gaf was against buy studios and that they should do fresh start ups?

would make sense for them to buy these as they do a lot together and have a good partnership

No I think PS / Nintendo Gaf was against buying out studios that they have bever worked with or partnered up with before...

Theres a slight different between buying out Ninja Theory ( who made exclusives and timed exclusives for Playstation, never worked with MS ) and Bethesda who is multiplatform studio
To buying studios you have years of exclusives with like Bluepoint, Insomniac etc

Yes your probably gonna come back and say theres no difference blah blah blah,but its a small difference.

One you building a relationship with over years of making exclusives together. The other your just buying studios because you have the money and never worked with them before.
Who cares anyway. If you buy them you buy them. MS can buy the whole VG market with the money they have and so could Amazon

MS buying Playground games is more like what Sony does with Bluepoint and Insomniac etc

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Anyways theres 4 studios i would love sony 2 buy aint the big ones. Looks like bluepoint is one and the other 3 has to be from software , kojima productions and house marque

Id be happy with those 3 too. From Software and Kojima pro please

Last edited:
I'll take that with a grain of soy
Source:
Capture2.png

A.Romero

I don't know... I mean, when a studio is purchased normally what has value are the IP. What does Bluepoint has?

They could sign a 5 game deal and be done with it. I don't get what Sony would be purchasing with this. In a couple of years all current devs could be going somewhere else.

Maybe this is in case MS buys From. Then at least they got a leg up on making Bloodborne 2 and DeS2.

I don’t think buying Bluepoint would compensate for MS buying From. I don’t think Microsoft would get them because I feel Microsoft and From aren’t a good fit for each other. Bethesda and Microsoft or even EA or Microsoft would be a more appropriate for each other. Then again, you never know.

Last edited:

Umbral

I think it would make sense to have them to maintain PlayStation’s history through remakes and remasters.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I don't know... I mean, when a studio is purchased normally what has value are the IP. What does Bluepoint has?

They could sign a 5 game deal and be done with it. I don't get what Sony would be purchasing with this. In a couple of years all current devs could be going somewhere else.
Talent, Knowledge of how Sony operates and experience working with them, already communicates with other Sony studios as a first party, and Sony has a ton of forgotten IPs they can reimagine as they want, if they don't want to make something new.
Sony didn't buy Insomniac because of Sunset Overdrive.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Bluepoint would be a wise choice because objectively its a studio that's always going to be able to find work due to their track-record in porting titles. By buying them, Sony would at least ensure that they wouldn't end up occupied on projects that specifically benefit them.

Their expertise dealing with code inherited from Japanese developers also makes them a better fit for Sony than MS.

Raven117

Gold Member
Yeah, they are a niche stuido and they are excellent.

Maybe even will give them the reigns for a sequel to something that is in the Sony stable. (Like Obsidian with Fallout New Vegas with Bethesda)

vpance

I don’t think buying Bluepoint would compensate for MS buying From. I don’t think Microsoft would get them because I feel Microsoft and From aren’t a good fit for each other. Bethesda and Microsoft or even EA or Microsoft would be a more appropriate for each other. Then again, you never know.

Oh of course not. I'm just saying Sony would be wise to hedge their bets. From can't make all of ER, new DeS and new BB this gen anyways.

DeS and BB IP sitting around doing nothing for this gen would be a big waste.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Always been a matter of when and not if. Indie studios don't need to be acquired, especially ones that never go without a contract like Bluepoint but as their ambitions grow (and their owners look to retirement lol) it makes sense to sell. I would expect Sony would be the one to acquire given the relationship there but there isn't anything that would preclude another publisher from swooping in.

Well, duh.

I don't think they've worked with anyone else in an entire generation other than Sony.

Hell, I dont think anyone cared about them until they worked with Sony and began delivering some noteworthy games (even if they were remasters).

It only made sense.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
No I think PS / Nintendo Gaf was against buying out studios that they have bever worked with or partnered up with before...

Theres a slight different between buying out Ninja Theory ( who made exclusives and timed exclusives for Playstation, never worked with MS ) and Bethesda who is multiplatform studio
To buying studios you have years of exclusives with like Bluepoint, Insomniac etc

Yes your probably gonna come back and say theres no difference blah blah blah,but its a small difference.

One you building a relationship with over years of making exclusives together. The other your just buying studios because you have the money and never worked with them before.
Who cares anyway. If you buy them you buy them. MS can buy the whole VG market with the money they have and so could Amazon

MS buying Playground games is more like what Sony does with Bluepoint and Insomniac etc
It makes no difference lol

if the studio is for sale then Sony have their chance to buy them to, also the studio can refuse the buy out if they don’t wanna work with Sony/Microsoft and stay indipendant

Last edited:

J____Av

It's not an exciting acquisition and doesn't net any big IP's but from a content production standpoint it is the smart move.

I do hope they will get a bit more aggressive with acquisitions in the future. They are really not rocking the boat at all when it comes to this aspect.

Man fuck that! Last thing we should want is company's buying up big studios and getting games that were already coming to the console. Sony is doing it right. Buy small studios and grow them or start new studios.

Why would you care if they bought a studio that got them a big IP? You probably could play that big IP on PS anyway. We need more games. Not just taking games we already have away from other people

So they should buy Bluepoint.
I makes alot of sense, they wouldn't be overly expensive, and are basically a Sony studio already.

Top Bottom