• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Reeee rumor] Sony to acquire Bluepoint Games very soon

RaySoft

I kinda hate that they don't wanna be a remake studio when

1. That what they made their name on
  2. They are damned good at it
You'd always want to aim that little bit higher each time. Best practice againt fatigue and stagnation.

Mr Hyde

Now Sony be ambitious, buy From Software, if I remember correctly they regret not purchasing From Software back in the PS3 days seeing how successful the souls series are now.

No, they regretted dropping the ball on the publishing of Demon's Souls. If Sony had done it correctly and pushed a worldwide release of DS, From Software wouldn't have struck a deal with Namco Bandai instead for Dark Souls. Souls-franchise would most likely have been a first party IP and From Software most likely acquired in the process.

But I still think Sony will pursue From, since they have a close working relationship, and with two of their most successful and iconic IPs in their portfolio. It would seem a natural step for From to be part of Worldwide Studios.

Would love if Sony hired the veterans from the old Westwood studios make a team up for a great RTS game even if they brought command and conquer from EA

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I genuinely thought Sony owned them already. Seems like a no-brainer.

whitesugar

Banned
Not a good get for me unless they are cheap. Rather Sony funded an original game from them first to see what level they are at and purchase if it's good. Buying a studio that wants to make it's own stuff but never has is a pointless risk.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I kinda hate that they don't wanna be a remake studio when

1. That what they made their name on
  2. They are damned good at it

What creative person would want to do remakes with their life? It's got to be soul crushing working on remakes for years on end.

Futaleufu

But I still think Sony will pursue From, since they have a close working relationship, and with two of their most successful and iconic IPs in their portfolio. It would seem a natural step for From to be part of Worldwide Studios.

From would lose all the money they get from PC games

Astral Dog

It's not an exciting acquisition and doesn't net any big IP's but from a content production standpoint it is the smart move.

I do hope they will get a bit more aggressive with acquisitions in the future. They are really not rocking the boat at all when it comes to this aspect.
Agree its a matter.of time be4 Microsoft acquires fromsoft. Possible sega ubisoft capcom u name it and sony / Nintendo aint gonna have sod all
Or... exactly what happens 🤷‍♂️

Microsoft acquiring Zenimax/Bethesda was a big move and they are back in the game don't get me wrong, but Sony has already the most prestigious teams outside of Nintendo making games exclusively for them, nobody outside of console warriors benefit from Sony aggressively buying Ubisoft, Square, Sega or Capcom (well maybe Ubi games would have less bugs) when they are doing mostly well on their own, and have a healthy ecosystem across all platforms. A smaller company, sure, especially if they are at risk and need backup.

But the bidding wars can be very dumb, , there was no real need of having FFXVI exclusive for PS5 for example. The game was going to get made anyways without problem but now its coming to one console only for X years.

Nintendo the same, they rather just order games than pay for the developer because they aren't fans of bidding wars

Edit: the biggest wild card Xbox has is not exactly software, if GamePass and Series S prove to be wildly successful Sony can't just counter with surprise acquisitions, they would need to revalue their business model (but thats worst case scenario)

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I'm just never going to play Metal Gear 1 & 2 until they get remade. Its been so long, I think I can wait another 10-15 years.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
They are basically on what seems to be an exclusive contract for Sony remakes anyway, so it would make sense.

Ar¢tos

I could see them waiting to be part of Sony before taking the risk of doing an original IP.
But if they want to make remakes, Sony's vault has plenty of choices.
I would start with the old Psygnosis IPs.

sublimit

Banned
Sony should acquire them like yesterday. They are a fresh and very talented studio that has gained a lot of knowledge in recent years. They are a perfect fit for Sony's WWStudios and regardless if Sony buys them or not i expect great things from them in the future.

Grinchy

Banned
Somehow give these guys opportunity to create new IP.
Maybe they'd be good at it, maybe they wouldn't. It's hard to say since they're kinda known for perfect remasters and remakes. If that's what they do best, let them do their best!

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
tenor.gif

Hudo

Wasn't that what BluePoint secretly were working at all these years? Congrats to them (if the rumor is true).

RaySoft

No, they regretted dropping the ball on the publishing of Demon's Souls. If Sony had done it correctly and pushed a worldwide release of DS, From Software wouldn't have struck a deal with Namco Bandai instead for Dark Souls. Souls-franchise would most likely have been a first party IP and From Software most likely acquired in the process.

Your first paragraph are 100% correct, but I think From software is way beyond a Sony acquisition at this point. As you pointed out, their chances were best during the DS relationship, and Sony knows it. Hence your first paragraph is spot on.

Last edited:

They would have to pay a massive premium but I suppose its possible. Don't see them spending that much on a single dev tbh.

Can someone explain whats the point of buying a studio that already made games for you exclusively since 2012?

I understand getting a third party studio that made games for both and then you want their exclusivity for yourself....but they already had that with BP and i dont even remember BP ever saying publicly that they would port any of their games to MS.

Last edited:

gow3isben

Makes a lot of sense. Why does everyone keep talking about Housemarquee? Is that developer even good? I thought it made some indie games here and there.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Meh, i prefer a studio that make new games.

Yes they can make new games too, but we know jack shit about their talent in making new games without improving other people masterpieces, remake\remaster and making new games is hardly the same thing.

I take an arkane studios or from software before bluepoint any day of the week.

Dargor

Why? They literally won't bring anything. If sony wants them to make some remakes, they can just hire them.

Go use that money in something that actually is worth something.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sony would’ve been better off acquiring From Software. That company is very well suited to be a Sony exclusive studio and they CLEARLY make some of the best video games.

You need to work well with them first and their talent must trust you else you risk to spend money and see the talent flee. Sony does acquisitions quite well.

nowhat

Why does everyone keep talking about Housemarquee? Is that developer even good?
Their main niche is twin-stick arcade shooters. Which is a niche, for sure, but within that niche they are absolutely at the very top, if not the reigning champion. Check out Nex Machina for example (available on PC too). It will be interesting to see how Returnal turns out - while there seem to be bullet hell -like sequences, it's still quite a departure from their comfort zone.

ManaByte

Gold Member
If true then we won't see their first non-remake game released until 2024 or so. But we'll see it at E3 2022, 2023, etc.

Last edited:

yurinka

It would make sense. Same goes with acquiring Quantic Dream, Kojipro, From Software or Housemarque.

If they buy the game, let's hope they grow their workforce to a point they can have 2 teams: one to make brand new games and another one for remakes.

For their next remake, I'd like them to do Wipeout Alpha Collection: Omega collection had basically Fury, Fury HD, 2048, Pure and Pulse content. In Alpha Collection I'd include remake circuits and ships from the early Wipeout games and the remaining Pure/Pulse stuff not included in Omega Collection. This game would be a PSVR2 launch game (it would have an option to play it on a TV with a normal PS5, obviously).

P.S.: Please someone ask Bluepoint and Sony Japan to make a 60fps -and if possible dynamic 4K too- patch for PS5 BC (or PS5 native version include also DualSense features and super short loadings) for Bloodborne. I assume it wouldn't take them too much time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom