• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redout 2 gameplay overview trailer feels like the next-gen Wipeout you always wanted

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Redout 2 is a tribute to classic arcade racing games and the sequel to Redout, where racing through the dystopian wastelands of a semi-abandoned Earth is one of the galaxy’s most popular sports

maxresdefault.jpg

KEY FEATURES

Speed and Control - In the tradition of Anti-Gravity racing classics like Wipeout and F-Zero, experience blazing fast speeds and an intuitive driving system that makes Redout 2 a blast to pick up and play, but also rewarding for those prepared to master the super-high skill ceiling.
Bend, loop and swoop through the most insane twists and jumps in racing game history.

Extensive Career Mode - Fly through hundreds of events across 36 unique racetracks - all of which are reversible!
From Arena Races and Time Attacks to Last Man Standing and intense Boss Races.

ss_cf0e213d7479f7cfab1bf7b916df7b2a2a716e60.jpg
ss_a3582d3e6b5f6503e7347d7e1e2ba03b4c36f8ae.jpg

Competitive Multiplayer - Race against others in intense 12-player online multiplayer action.
Dive into fresh challenges with regularly-added custom content, alongside seasons that include unique aesthetic rewards.

Comprehensive Customization - Choose from 12 distinct chassis and fully customize your own hovership with an incredible selection of propulsors, stabilizers, rudders, intercoolers, flaps, magnets, wings, spoilers, rocket engines, paints and more!
Create and share your best high-speed highlights with Photo Mode.

Jaw-Dropping Soundtrack - Featuring superstar electronic artists, including the legendary Giorgio Moroder and acclaimed talents like Zardonic and Dance with the Dead.
Our music-master algorithms seamlessly and dynamically mix tracks based on real-time race data.

[Steam link]

ro2_steam_gif_MAIN_v1.gif

Kuranghi

Doesn't look better than last gen WipEout.

BallisticNG is WipEout on steroids.

This is my problem, I tried Red Out 1 and Pacer but the former doesn't hook me or feel as good as Wipeout HD/Fury/Omega Collection and the latter had weird performance problems I couldn't solve, the framerate would crash when I passed over transparent track sections even when it perfect 60 at all other times, made it unplayable. I should go back and try it at 1080p maybe to brute force through the issue but the game was crusty as fuck at 1440p so I just gave up. Obviously gameplay is king but I want it to look decent as well.

I should just play Omega Collection on PS5 I suppose, because I never really dug into the new league much, I had Elite Gold on every track in the HD league except bloody the Phantom Sol 2 Single Race and the Phantom Tournament on the last page because I would/could get Gold on every race but I couldn't even finish Phantom Sol 2 without exploding and would come 2nd or 3rd on Chenghou Project at best. Eventually I just had to accept I can't do it, or at least not the way I was playing. Maybe the more fine-grained/accurate sticks and triggers on the Dualsense will help with cornering.

I haven't tried Grip but Rollcage was always more of a silly fun game than something where I felt driven (harhar) to actually do better and progress.

Miles708

How is is Redout 1 ?
It was ... not bad, but it felt like a bit amateur in the overral "packaging" of the experience, from UI to UX in general. Soured me on the rest of the game, t the point where i resold it.
I hope they managed to craft a better User Experience with this sequel, hope it'll feel more like a complete package than an indie PC game.

yurinka

It looks good, but isn't the next-gen Wipeout I want. The one I one is a brand new proper Wipeout and made by Sony (Firesprite). Until now the most similar game to Wipeout I saw recently is Pacer (specially its PC version).

Banned
the issues I have with most modern Racing games like these is the lack of an actually enticing career/campaign mode.
I feel like that part gets so often neglected and the games suffer from it. and I hope this one does it better

because let's be real here. how long will the online community really have a stable playerbase to make the game interesting beyond the initial release window if it doesn't have a good career mode?
especially for games without crossplay that splinter the already relatively small playerbase into multiple systems

ReBurn

Gold Member
my apologies for the necro, but someone leaked the original Wipeout source code: PSX and Windows builds

I found the most recent, and relevant discussion, and here I am. If someone wants to make a dedicated thread, cool. This could then be deleted.

I wonder if the Windows version will compile and run?

Notabueno

Banned
Redout is a good game, but unfortunately is nowhere near Wipeout, especially in terms of design, some of the most renowned designers worked on it in the 90s/Y2K.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The next entry in the acclaimed anti-gravity racing series will launch on May 26, 2022 for PlayStation®5, Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation®4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and Windows PC via Steam and the Epic Games Store.

The next entry in the acclaimed anti-gravity racing series will launch on May 26, 2022 for PlayStation®5, Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation®4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and Windows PC via Steam and the Epic Games Store.
Strafe, tilt, and boost your customizable hovership through dozens of mind-bending, jaw-dropping courses in a variety of game modes, including an expansive single-player campaign plus competitive online multiplayer for up to 12 players on PC, PlayStation, and Xbox, and up to six players on Nintendo Switch.

Key Features:
● Speed & Control: With blazing-fast speeds of over 1,000 km/h and an intuitive driving system, Redout 2 is a blast to pick up and play, but truly rewarding for any who can master its super-high skill ceiling.
● Extensive Career Mode: Fly through hundreds of events across 36 unique racetracks – all of which are reversible! From Arena Races and Time Attacks to Last Man Standing and intense Boss Races, dart past the competition and dominate the finish line.
● Competitive Multiplayer: Take on rivals in intense online multiplayer. Dive into fresh challenges with regularly added custom content and seasons featuring bonus rewards.
● Comprehensive Customization: Choose from 12 distinct chassis and fully customize your hovership with an incredible selection of propulsors, stabilizers, rudders, intercoolers, flaps, magnets, wings, spoilers, rocket engines, paints and more!
● Experience a futuristic soundtrack from leading electronic artists like the legendary Giorgio Moroder and acclaimed talents such as Zardonic and Dance with the Dead, with music seamlessly and dynamically mixed based on real-time race data.
● Create and share your best high-speed moments with Redout 2’s Photo Mode.

nikos

Looks good, and the dynamic soundtrack sounds interesting.

For some reason, I've never been a fan of the strafing in these games. Just something I didn't want to deal with, and it has sort of kept me from playing them more than I'd like to.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
This is a promising candidate (but doesn't have AAA+++ gfx either).

It seems like WipEout meets Jetborne Racing but less simmy than it.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

34BigThings' sci-fi series Redout decided to branch off and experiment with things, and last year, the result of that was space shooter Redout: Space Assault. When all was said and done, it wasn't an experiment that worked out for the best, but thankfully, the series will soon be returning to what it's good at.

After some delays, Redout 2 is finally going to launch imminently, and here, we're going to talk about the game, its key details, and why you should be excited about it.

Fahdis

Wipeout Vet here with muh Plats. RedOut is the only game that satisfied my itch for speed but not necessarily vehicular combat because there isnt any. But the music, colors and speed is absolutely amazing and the DLC track design is BONKERS! Wipeout doesn't come close in terms of this. What Wipeout is good at though is the stress of the vehicular combat while going at Super-Sonic or Rapier speeds. RedOut is definitely faster. Unless we talk about Zone mode, but to get to those speeds you have to be a Zone Zeus.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Since Sony brought Firesprite back into the fold, they were formerly Studio Liverpool who made Wipeout before Sony shut them down, I wonder if we'll see another entry from them. Firesprite seems to be working on a lot of projects. Last I heard they could be working on as many as five right now. Obviously Horizon VR, but also a mobile game, a narrative adventure, and two multiplayer games. If they can work on four or five projects at once, I would imagine in the future it wouldn't be much of a hassle to set aside a small team to work on a new Wipeout. This game just reminds me how much fun I had with the franchise. Especially back in the early days.

Fahdis

Physics seem more arcadey and vehicles feel a bit weightless compared to wipeout. Solid ripoff though, didn't even bother to change the name a bit to set itself apart. Reminds me of Land Rover vs Land Wind.

evoque.jpg

Just tells me you haven't played the game. Its not a ripoff by any stretch of the imagination just because its an anti-grav racer. In this scenario Forza, Arsetto, Project Cars and Gran Turismo are also rip-offs of one another. Wtf.

Apocryphon

The first game was ok. This also looks like it will be pretty good but I'd kill off all of these Wipeout-inspired racers for an actual next gen Wipeout or an F-Zero game for Switch.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Just tells me you haven't played the game. Its not a ripoff by any stretch of the imagination just because its an anti-grav racer. In this scenario Forza, Arsetto, Project Cars and Gran Turismo are also rip-offs of one another. Wtf.

Yeah, redOUT, and fictional anti-gravity vehicles that are not found in reality is the same as racing cars that exist in real life.

Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The fastest game in the universe is here at last! Redout 2 is available now for PlayStation®5, Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation®4, Xbox One, and Windows PC via Steam and the Epic Games Store: http://redout2.com

Redout 2 is the biggest and fastest entry in the series yet, with more tracks than ever before. Strafe, tilt and boost your customizable hovership through dozens of mind-bending, jaw-dropping courses in a variety of game modes, including an expansive single-player campaign plus competitive online multiplayer for up to 12 players on PC, PlayStation and Xbox, and up to six players on Nintendo Switch.

Key Features:
- Speed & Control: With blazing-fast speeds of over 1,000 km/h and an intuitive driving system, Redout 2 is a blast to pick up and play, but truly rewarding for any who can master its super-high skill ceiling.

- Extensive Career Mode: Fly through hundreds of events across 36 unique racetracks – all of which are reversible! From Arena Races and Time Attacks to Last Man Standing and intense Boss Races, dart past the competition and dominate the finish line.

- Competitive Multiplayer: Take on rivals in intense online multiplayer. Dive into fresh challenges with regularly added custom content and seasons featuring bonus rewards.

- Comprehensive Customization: Choose from 12 distinct chassis and fully customize your hovership with an incredible selection of propulsors, stabilizers, rudders, intercoolers, flaps, magnets, wings, spoilers, rocket engines, paints and more!

- Experience a futuristic soundtrack from leading electronic artists like the legendary Giorgio Moroder and acclaimed talents such as Zardonic and Dance with the Dead, with music seamlessly and dynamically mixed based on real-time race data.

- Create and share your best high-speed moments with Redout 2’s Photo Mode.

Cattlyst

Picked it up yesterday. More of the same - if you enjoyed the first game you’ll enjoy the sequel. I picked it up on XSX and it’s super fast. Intrigued to see how it runs on Switch when it launches (played the first game on Switch a few years back)

Drew1440

Looking forward to this, Now we just need a new Wipeout from Sony, F-Zero from Nintendo and Quantum Redshift remake from Microsoft.

I really enjoyed the first Redout and the visual design was really stunning too as was the sheer sense of speed. I've been waiting for a sequel for a long time but I also enjoyed Pacer as well, which was graphically more sophisticated and closer resembled the PlayStation WipEout games.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Thanks to its focus on speed and a relatively high-skill ceiling, Redout 2 might end up being too niche for some. This also means that it’s a rather one-of-a-kind game these days, and if going down insane tracks at high speeds in futuristic rocket ships sounds fun, Redout 2 can be a great time.

Top Bottom