• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RedLetterMedia |OT| Is This OT Replacing the Other OT?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
The Assistant is from the lady who was Harvey Weinstein’s assistant and who is now working on the next female led Star Wars tripe

Edit: nevermind that was Leslye Headland’s “Assistance”. Guess there is a big market for profiting off weak ass Harvey Weinstein stories

How am I not surprised. Hollywood is in love with itself

Last edited:
It's sad hearing Burton told Elfman to do those genre songs.

I agree with Jay that Oingo Boingo/Elfman are great. If you want to see Elfman do a low budget musical (like Wonka), check out The Forbidden Zone. That movie would get everyone involved with it canceled if anyone saw it these days. It's also one of my favorite hidden gems.

Behind a spoiler, because NSFW at all. Tits, slurs, blackface imagery and coon imagery. The movie is a real life jazz era cartoon, which is hard for youngens to understand.

Willy Wonka is one of those movies I actually like better than the book. When Burton's Charlie is cited as being closer to the novel, that's not a positive for me. =P

Also that Rawhead Rex/Neil Breen vid got nuked but has been reuploaded. Looks like they had to remove all that Rawhead Rex comic art.

Also that Rawhead Rex/Neil Breen vid got nuked but has been reuploaded. Looks like they had to remove all that Rawhead Rex comic art.
Yeah, I remember seeing someone complaining in the original RLM tweet about their art (singular) being in the video. Some people were trying to make him see reason (it was on-screen for literally half a second) but I guess he took it further. Seems like he got a lot of backlash because his Twitter is private now.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Willy Wonka really is a timeless classic. I am in love with the movie both the very 60s psychedelic nature of the art design and the legendary lead by Gene Wilder. Wonka has a very strange personality that almost comes across very ironic and modern. I mean the whole “no, please, stop” is in the lifeblood of all pop culture from the Simpsons to Seinfeld to 21st century memes.

Plus those songs are so dope in the og version. Forbidden Zone is a classic BOTW style b movie and Danny Elfman is a genius but the alternate versions in the remake are sooo cringey they are just a gross cgi bummer. The original’s jazzy folk oompa mystery music is so fun by comparison.

Last edited:
Is it as bad as it looks in the review? it looks like a fake movie in the review, like a joke from reddit
Yes, it is as bad.

I normally have a soft spot for Adam Sandler movies.
They are usually full of shit, but there is also some gold to be found. Plus Rob Schneider.

But this is like a Sandler movie where only the bad stuff is left, and none of the good.

I feel bad for Lauren Lapkus starring in this.
Liked her cute dorkyness a lot in Orange is the new Black.

Karma Jawa

Willy Wonka really is a timeless classic. I am in love with the movie both the very 60s psychedelic nature of the art design and the legendary lead by Gene Wilder. Wonka has a very strange personality that almost comes across very ironic and modern. I mean the whole “no, please, stop” is in the lifeblood of all pop culture from the Simpsons to Seinfeld to 21st century memes.

Plus those songs are so dope in the og version. Forbidden Zone is a classic BOTW style b movie and Danny Elfman is a genius but the alternate versions in the remake are sooo cringey they are just a gross cgi bummer. The original’s jazzy folk oompa mystery music is so fun by comparison.

It’s a legitimate classic and one of Gene Wilder’s most hypnotic performances.

A film I watched many times as a child. Many of the British actors involved were very well known here in the UK and had successful careers.

Never watched Tim Burton’s version. I loved his earlier films but never been tempted to watch it. For the record, Wilder hated the film but liked Depp’s performance. I suspect that was probably just courtesy to a fellow actor. Wilder struck me as that type of good egg.

Earn0RyXgAEaPCM

O-N-E

Just finishing off the Wrong Missy video and wow Mike lost me with his take on improv comedy. It can be and is hilarious when done by the right people in the right environment. Comedy Bang Bang is my go-to for that and in fact, Lauren Lapkus is one of my favourite guests when she comes on. She can be really hilarious and I'm sure she was told to go over the top for that awful movie.

Mike is so wrong on this. Saying that comedy needs to be scripted.... It's like saying the conversations he has with Jay can't be funny since they don't follow a strict script. Tons of comedians are funny on podcasts but awful during their standup. In fact, I find that to be the case an overwhelming amount of the time.

Last edited:

april6e

Still waiting for a Birds of Prey video.

Mike is so wrong on this. Saying that comedy needs to be scripted.... It's like saying the conversations he has with Jay can't be funny since they don't follow a strict script. Tons of comedians are funny on podcasts but awful during their standup. In fact, I find that to be the case an overwhelming amount of the time.

I completely agree with Mike. Watching improv comedy is so painful. Yes, comedy doesn't need a script but it is extremely helpful to have one. Which is why Improv asks for audience prompts. It would be much better if the performers just came up with the prompts themselves as they are actual professionals (I've been to a couple where they do this and the end product is so much better). Instead of the extremely generic and weak premises the audience often comes up with.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Still waiting for a Birds of Prey video.

I completely agree with Mike. Watching improv comedy is so painful. Yes, comedy doesn't need a script but it is extremely helpful to have one. Which is why Improv asks for audience prompts. It would be much better if the performers just came up with the prompts themselves as they are actual professionals (I've been to a couple where they do this and the end product is so much better). Instead of the extremely generic and weak premises the audience often comes up with.
Count me in the camp that can't stand improv comedy movies 99 percent of the time as well. Maybe its because the ones that do it the most are just untalented but I almost never find the shit funny. Best example is the original Ghostbusters vs the 2016 version.

Grinchy

Banned
Obviously it depends on the source. Going to an improv show and yelling out "chainsaw!" and then having the person on stage pretend to use a chainsaw to open his car door is not that funny.

But a show like Curb Your Enthusiasm, that uses a general outline but improvs the actual lines, is hilarious.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Oh yes I love this movie! Caught it on OTA tv a few weeks ago. The parodies are so good. Michael Richards is so good too! Weird Al is a god damn living legend.

Last edited:
Gotta admit I never saw UHF until RLM uploaded their video. It was silly and funny but I agree with Weird Al's assessment that the plot was too generic. Pretty interesting how Michael Richards' character was essentially Proto-Kramer, though.

Also, the "can poodles fly?" scene really triggered me because I love dogs too much lmao
However, I saw in the deleted scenes that the dogs got their revenge so I'm alright with it.

Did jay get some weight or it's just the clothing?
Probably both tbh

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Funny stuff. I was impressed they tried to take Turtle Dreams seriously.

I saw that stuff in art school man performance artists are the biggest con artists in the world lol

Jon Neu

Banned
I don't know if anybody else noticed, but in the last video around the 36 minutes mark, Mike says some disrespectful joke about Rich's mom to Jay.

I'm actually dissapointed not only for the remark itself, but for the fact that he didn't edited it out of the video.

I think Mike crossed a line there he shouldn't had crossed. One thing is mocking Rich, but mocking his mother is just too much.

Just in case you were wondering, yes you can see this beauty on YouTube

I'm surprised and delighted that the comments section hasn't been shit up by weird RLM fans. But then I'm perplexed by OTHER weirdos calling the performance "beautiful" and "brilliant" lol

Anyway, I was curious to see if any 2-B Moms videos made it on YT and thankfully, one did!

Still better than 99% of modern rap tbh

Last edited:

Fret Runner

The last 2 mins of the shatner video actually made me laugh so hard my eyes started watering.
Probably one of my favourite RLM moments now.

Ememee

Love that they addressed it and you only get a glimpse of how surreal and soul-crushing it must be for Mike.

The last 2 mins of the shatner video actually made me laugh so hard my eyes started watering.
Probably one of my favourite RLM moments now.
It's funny, but I honestly feel bad for Mike. One comment on YT said it best: RLM fans on Twitter basically made Shatner hate Mike and everything he's done.

This is why I constantly refer to most RLM fans as weirdos, because it's one thing to enjoy their shows to the point of adoration, but it's another to berate an old man because he doesn't "get it".

Fret Runner

It's funny, but I honestly feel bad for Mike. One comment on YT said it best: RLM fans on Twitter basically made Shatner hate Mike and everything he's done.

This is why I constantly refer to most RLM fans as weirdos, because it's one thing to enjoy their shows to the point of adoration, but it's another to berate an old man because he doesn't "get it".
It was just the way he said "I can't take shatner posting pictures of me on twitter and calling me a moron" that just hit my funny bone bad for some reason.

I'm sure Mike doesn't really care and that Shatner was just trolling an never would've gone on their shows even if they were verbally felating him for 2 hours anyway.

I'm sure RLM fans can be unbearable with bugging people to go on their shows though.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Twitter itself is a mistake

i dont think any of them take this stuff personally.

it was funny to imagine RLM fans posting clips of Nerd Crew and Shatner thinking "This is dumb, these guys seem like idiots"

Top Bottom