• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RedLetterMedia |OT| Is This OT Replacing the Other OT?

MetalAlien

Banned
New Re:view for Tron and Tron Legacy is up.

Haven't watched it yet but I have to admit I'm surprised they made an episode on the Tron series. Personally, I think the only thing good about those movies are the visual effects. :messenger_confounded:

They have never sounded so young. They clearly don't have the perspective to enjoy Tron part 1. They just can't place themselves into our shoes.

Shantae

Banned
I liked the visuals, and soundtrack for Tron Legacy, but I always hated how the world didn't seem like a computer world anymore. It just seemed like some seedy real world, especially when you have the club scene. That didn't feel like a location that would have existed in original Tron. It's a different grid, and it was meant to be a free system, so I get that things might be different, but it didn't feel like a world inhabited by programs. Just shitty real people with glowy clothes.

I think whenever I think of Tron Legacy, the only thing I think of now is how smoking hot Olivia Wilde is in it. Otherwise, it is forgettable.

So I watched Legacy again after finishing this re:View and I’m not sure how I feel about it anymore. Visually it still looks so great to me, I only really am bothered by CGI Jeff a couple times. The soundtrack is amazing. The action is Ok. I dunno, it just feels maybe a little too long?

I think Tron could be something special but it would take some really solid writing

Karma Jawa

Hi. New to the forum, largely due to RLM (see my intro post for further details).

Long time fan of their work. Like many it was the Plinkett’s TPM that drew my attention. I even bought a couple of signed Plinkett posters for no reason. BotW is often a source of inspiration for my next viewing, though I haven’t plucked up the courage to watch a Breen film. I get a strong Ring vibe from his ‘work’.

Anyway, latest episode confused me too MetalAlien MetalAlien

I was under the impression that they were all roughly around my age, but I guess Jay and Jack must be a few years younger than Mike and Rich. I remember Tron making an impact. Haven’t seen Legacy, but I’m tempted to now.

Grinchy

Banned
I haven't watched or liked any Star Trek show after The Next Generation. I just can't seem to force myself to give this Picard show a shot after seeing the terrible clips from the STD series.

Shouta

I'm like halfway through their re:View and I'm surprised at how much they weren't paying attention in the first episode of Picard. It's kind of laughable and a bit sad.

Damn, was hoping their next video would be a Half in the Bag on Color Out of Space. Guess it'll be in the catch-up video.

As for Picard, I watched the first episode of Picard but didn't really have any strong feelings for or against it. It was just "meh".

Teletraan1

Banned
On one hand I see their point about how the OG Trek showed how humans had moved on from racism with the space Lincoln episode. On the other hand McCoy was xenophobic as fuck with Spock all the time. Most of the other xenophobia was related to military conflicts. The Picard version of Starfleet's current stance seems pretty hamfisted and sloppy like most things when they try to graft a certain view of current events on something that existed in the world building of a series prior.

GreyHorace

I loved this video because it made me realize something, they are much better and funnier at their critique when they don't like what they're watching.

Take their re:View of The Mandalorian, it has some funny moments yes, but for the most part it's not as fun as this Picard review. When they praise something they hardly make any jokes, but here the comedy was on point because it was clear they had a blast tearing this episode to shreds.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
the Y2K video. that guy smashing his phone against the wall. that crazy montage. lol. some of this is gold.

i really liked the tape that was just car interiors with awesome funk music playing on the soundtrack and the gangster with the moustache in the tracksuit. lol.

love me some DIY videotapes so much. RLM is really a celebration of that subculture.

Karma Jawa

Not a huge fan of the black spine episodes. The Chasity cartoon was pretty funny though.

Not sure who the guy with the moustache is (I know he’s appeared before), but he’s funny and has great taste in bourbon. Still not sure about Culkin. He’s pretty annoying and hyperactive at times.

Blond

Banned
Not a huge fan of the black spine episodes. The Chasity cartoon was pretty funny though.

Not sure who the guy with the moustache is (I know he’s appeared before), but he’s funny and has great taste in bourbon. Still not sure about Culkin. He’s pretty annoying and hyperactive at times.

I also have to say I'm getting kinda annoyed at millionaires jumping onto small/medium popular folks like this in an effort to remain relevant for a slice of the pie they're not able to eat from.

Every time I see an update for this thread, I get excited thinking there is a Plinkett review for Rise of the Skywalker. Ready to grab some beer and popcorn and enjoy that crude old fat fuck and his hour long rant.

But... alas... nothing.

I don't even blame Mike for it not being out. I blame Rich. I blame Rich for everything.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I also have to say I'm getting kinda annoyed at millionaires jumping onto small/medium popular folks like this in an effort to remain relevant for a slice of the pie they're not able to eat from.
Yeah I don't hate him or anything but he is just there. Sorta like Rich Evans's laugh. Ugh.

Yeah I don't hate him or anything but he is just there. Sorta like Rich Evans's laugh. Ugh.

giphy.gif

Shantae

Banned
It's nice to see them finally talk about Doctor Sleep. I saw it in the theater, and left very impressed. I was happy to see a movie that was just really good, and it was a sequel to The Shining which is even more impressive that they pulled off so well. It managed to pull some fan service, but it still stands alone as just a real good movie, while also being a good sequel. It's a shame it didn't do better, because it deserved it.

Also, Holy shit, I did not realize that was Henry Thomas playing Jack Torrence in Doctor Sleep.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Not that Parasite needed more praise, but it's nice to see. Having lived in Korea in the 90s for four years, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for their cinema and that affection has been rewarded with some of my favorite films of all time.

Wasn't crazy about Doctor Sleep (the final act was fan servicey crap), but Parasite was my favorite movie of the year. That huge spoiler, though! I guess without context it doesn't really mean much but yeah.. still a pretty massive spoiler if you're interested in the film.

Huh? RLM has wanted to have Mack on the show for a very long time. Funnily enough, it was Max Landis that finally hooked them up in some capacity - which is arguably Max Landis' greatest contribution to human history.

Blond

Banned
Huh? RLM has wanted to have Mack on the show for a very long time. Funnily enough, it was Max Landis that finally hooked them up in some capacity - which is arguably Max Landis' greatest contribution to human history.

Probably should've mentioned it as a general thing. I know most people look at it as cool to get famous folks on smaller things, but it's bothering me because it's creative outlets for guys like RLM are going to start having that space imposed upon soon.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i don't think Mac is just any "millioniare". it's not like he is jumping on to shill for Marvel or something. he has no movies coming out. he's not peddling some narrative or anything. he just like watching bad movies. nothing wrong with that.

this would be different if it was a current movie star with a blockbuster in theaters. then you could say that yes a millionaire is using this DIY platform for their own promotion. but that isn't what is happening here. he doesn't even promote the little indie projects he does involve himself in, which shows how humble he is.

it's healthy to be skeptical but just because he's a millionaire doesn't make him a bad person.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Culkin doesn't strike me as someone who's using the RLM guys to reclaim fame. I don't even think he cares about Hollywood anymore, and I wouldn't blame him. After what he went through, who'd want to return to that shitshow that was his childhood?

I really think he's a big fan of the guys and he's just enjoying himself. So long as Mike, Jay and Rich are okay with it I don't mind him being there.

GreyHorace

Ahhhh shit

Half In The Bag: Doctor Sleep and Parasite

two of my favorite films from last year

I've yet to see Parasite, but it's nice to know Mike and Jay think it's great.

And damn, Mike was on fire with that rant about the Oscars and Hollywood in general. I thought he was more on point than Ricky Gervais in savaging the showbiz industry for their preachy holier than thou attitude.

GreyHorace

Rich and Mike are back to talk Picard, episodes 2 and 3

Hilarious as always. But Rich's theory about the Zhat Vash's reason for hating artificial lifeforms because the Romulans created the Borg thousands of years ago is a stupid enough idea that I'm afraid it may actually be the series' big twist. :messenger_grimmacing_

I think Mike's theory that Soji is a Q would be an asspull though.

Great Hair

Banned
Those crazy kids are back at it again! This time with another Best of the Worst.

Cant watch anything with macualuy mackilin in it. What a creep, cringe AF, feels like a 5th wheel in their videos and to be honest, no idea what they keep him inviting. Pretty sure they only intended to have him once on the show, now he seems to show up at their location uninvited.

Cant watch anything with macualuy mackilin in it. What a creep, cringe AF, feels like a 5th wheel in their videos and to be honest, no idea what they keep him inviting. Pretty sure they only intended to have him once on the show, now he seems to show up at their location uninvited.
No offense, but some of you guys are weird as fuck - this is like the third or fourth post I've seen where someone is upset that they filmed with someone they don't like. If they didn't want to hang out with him, they'd drop him like a sack of potatoes like they did with Max Landis. Get over it.

Personally, I fucking hate Patton Oswalt, but I still watched the episode with him and had a great time with it. Didn't see me coming here and crying about RLM spending time with someone I don't like. :messenger_winking_tongue:
However, on the subject of Patton, I do wish they asked him on his opinion of Ghostbusters 2016 since he was one of the idiots that was attacking men over it. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Great Hair

Banned
Max Landis BOTW Episode ended with Mackulauin Caukiln´s introduction (outro) ... and that episode is legendary. Something is wrong with nackajudaling alkalin, a guy who does manicure himself is dangerous! Patton and Max Landis dont have black nails.

He even couldnt laugh at that micheal jackson joke Mike? made of bad pun?

Sleepydays

Banned
People aren't into Mack? Huh. I think he's a natural fit for the show.

The other guy he brings along is a chocolate teapot, though.

bender

What time is it?
Mack was probably looking to grow his internet exposure with the initial collaboration, but I think both sides enjoy their time together or you wouldn't have seen so much additional content. He's a little weird and eccentric, but how could he not be? I don't mind him.

Top Bottom