• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media RedLetterMedia |OT| Is This OT Replacing the Other OT?

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
Give them a rewatch they really hold up

not really agreeing with Mike here. first of all he thinks the movie is some cheap studio cash in on BTTF. it wasn't, it was written by the two guys who came up with the idea. he keeps running with this misinformed take this whole thing was a cash grab, when it was a passion project from two young screenwriter friends who wanted to make a classic style b movie adventure.

Mike says the princesses were a forced studio romance. "A case of the notgays". why does he think that? the two guys who wrote it were making a movie about dopey teen boys who went on classic fantasy adventures through time. seems weird to me to think they should avoid that classic fantasy trope of a princess when the whole movie is about time travelling power fantasies. the guy gets the girl in the classic stories this movie is about.

Last edited:

Space Runaway

Sep 5, 2018
Mike says the princesses were a forced studio romance. "A case of the notgays". why does he think that? the two guys who wrote it were making a movie about dopey teen boys who went on classic fantasy adventures through time. seems weird to me to think they should avoid that classic fantasy trope of a princess when the whole movie is about time travelling power fantasies. the guy gets the girl in the classic stories this movie is about.
Yeah he was really locked in on that but the characters and actions in the movie never come across as such where one would need to create princess characters so the audience wouldn't think they're gay (And as mentioned in the review, the "fag" joke alone would alleviate that). Not to mention all the Missy stuff. It seemed just more classic adventure formula where the hero(es) gets the girl(s) in the end.

I was happy they took the time to point out the "I fell out of my suit when I hit the floor!" line/joke. It's just so stupid and impossible yet perfect.

Last edited:

Karma Jawa

Jan 20, 2020
Give them a rewatch they really hold up

not really agreeing with Mike here. first of all he thinks the movie is some cheap studio cash in on BTTF. it wasn't, it was written by the two guys who came up with the idea. he keeps running with this misinformed take this whole thing was a cash grab, when it was a passion project from two young screenwriter friends who wanted to make a classic style b movie adventure.

Mike points out that it was already in production before BTTF came out, then says they changed the time machine from a van to a phone booth to distinguish it from BTTF. They even talk about the two writers and the origin of the characters. It didn’t seem like he was calling it a cash grab.

Agree with your second paragraph though.

Lanrutcon

Feb 19, 2014
Irrelevant
I didn't get the "cashgrab" impression either.

Rewatched both movies after watching RLM's review. The second movie is still great. The first...a little meh.

Revolutionary

Sep 13, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Bill & Ted Face the Music HiTB

Was hoping for a Bill & Ted / New Mutants double bill so they can rightfully shit on New Mutants, but I guess we'll get that later...

Last edited:
Reactions: Space Runaway

bender

Bending Rodríguez (22, 1,729)
Apr 12, 2010
Face the music sounds like a bummer and mostly because of Keanu. Haven't seen Bogus Journey in a long time but my last viewing of Excellent Adventure was fairly recent and I wished I"d left that in the nostalgia banks.

Revolutionary

Sep 13, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
They predicted the future

Also I've probably watched the Diamond Fox video about 5 times now (I usually have RLM in the background while I work) and I notice something new every time. I hope that lady has made more movies for them to cover in the future.

Gp1

Sep 17, 2019
Jay is having the same quarantine hair problem that i'm having right now lol