• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall Is Always Online Even In Single-Player, Bethesda Confirms

YuLY

For all the weirdos with the "its 2023 bro I'm always online", Crossfire X just announced that they will close the servers and the Single Player campaigns made by Remedy, which were forced to be always-online, will no longer be accessible , basically they will be gone, forever. Their quality is irrelevant, its about the preservation of games as an art form. Imagine not being able to just go now and play Dishonored 1 cause the servers were closed, a game from about a decade ago.

Fuck this game for going that route, I refuse to support this. Even if I'm a drop in an ocean, its for my own piece of mind of not contributing to the literal death of games.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
For all the weirdos with the "its 2023 bro I'm always online", Crossfire X just announced that they will close the servers and the Single Player campaigns made by Remedy, which were forced to be always-online, will no longer be accessible , basically they will be gone, forever. Their quality is irrelevant, its about the preservation of games as an art form. Imagine not being able to just go now and play Dishonored 1 cause the servers were closed, a game from about a decade ago.

Fuck this game for going that route, I refuse to support this. Even if I'm a drop in an ocean, its for my own piece of mind of not contributing to the literal death of games.
The Office Thank You GIF

SeraphJan

The person he was responding to had responded to your quote. DeepEnigma DeepEnigma only provided your quote for context.
I see, that was like almost a year ago, didn't quite remember the context of it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since I was quoted in regards to GaaS, the main reason I think it suck as a single player game was because I'm more of a collector type. Other reason also include regional censorship which when a game was not available in my region I at least have the option to import. Another would be the ability to buy used game for much cheaper price (this is probably the one of the incentives for company to do GaaS)

For me I use to preferred physical copies, but since game rarely work properly without patches these days, I prefer the GOG model where you could store the stable build (even if its not the latest build) of a game on your own term. As for physical copy I only collect GOTY edition for a stable build, day one physical releases is kind of meaningless now.

I disliked cloud gaming for the same reason above (with added benefit of input lag). Again I don't dislike it if they gave multiple options (like games that could do both), but for GaaS, that was rarely the case, I could see the same thing in the future if cloud gaming was widely adopted, they might just take that option away as well.

Basically as consumer there is nothing to gain for a single player game to be GaaS (unlike MP where its necessary), but with only downsides, for those people that's rooting for SP GaaS, I just don't understand your motivation, maybe you are a stock holder of the company?

Last edited:

None of those two companies involved with the making of that game are Microsoft and Xbox. Microsoft is quite literally one of the top server companies in the damn world. Whatever this game will require to run, Microsoft will always be able to provide now and well into the future. I think you also require a connection to the internet once every 30 days to play games on Game Pass if the console is set to your home Xbox. For a set of gamers who are always so connected to the internet for everything there shouldn't be this much complaining over a modern video game requiring a persistent internet connection. It's so damn common these days.

If a persistent internet connection is an issue for you, don't play this game. If the implausible scenario of the game one day not being able to be played even in single-player (as if Microsoft is seriously going to open itself up for that after so many people will have spent money towards it) ever emerges is a thing that bothers you in the here and now, don't bother with the game. There is plenty else out there to play I am sure.

Thebonehead

Banned
Woah. You've gone full Reeeeee. Never go full Reeeeee.

Always online games are anti human rights... Or something right?

furrie i sit on you GIF by beeeky

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Kinda shit I guess.

Do we know the reason yet?

Does it have dynamic events etc?

If you could play destiny offline then I'm sure you can play this offline. I guess you could play destiny offline lol

Assaulty

None of those two companies involved with the making of that game are Microsoft and Xbox. Microsoft is quite literally one of the top server companies in the damn world. Whatever this game will require to run, Microsoft will always be able to provide now and well into the future. I think you also require a connection to the internet once every 30 days to play games on Game Pass if the console is set to your home Xbox. For a set of gamers who are always so connected to the internet for everything there shouldn't be this much complaining over a modern video game requiring a persistent internet connection. It's so damn common these days.

If a persistent internet connection is an issue for you, don't play this game. If the implausible scenario of the game one day not being able to be played even in single-player (as if Microsoft is seriously going to open itself up for that after so many people will have spent money towards it) ever emerges is a thing that bothers you in the here and now, don't bother with the game. There is plenty else out there to play I am sure.
Yet Halo: Infinite has some of the WORST networking performance I've ever seen on an FPS. I feel like it's 100% up to the developer how to use the Microsoft server park.

I can't help but feel like Redfall kind of looks like a stinker. I hope I'm wrong and the game blows me away tho. Always online for single player isn't that big of deal for me even tho I'd rather it just not be a requirement.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I imagine this is done so the Steam players of future Xbox games get counted under the Xbox MAUs.
Pretty sure Microsoft already does this.
They dont separate console and PC players in their MAU counts.

Riky

$MSFT
Kinda shit I guess.

Do we know the reason yet?

Does it have dynamic events etc?

If you could play destiny offline then I'm sure you can play this offline. I guess you could play destiny offline lol

Yes it has dynamic events, it also has drop in co-op.
Each time you play the world will have changed they've said so it needs to be online, it's that simple.

YuLY

Woah. You've gone full Reeeeee. Never go full Reeeeee.

Always online games are anti human rights... Or something right?

furrie i sit on you GIF by beeeky
You're kinda weird lad. First, what exactly from what I wrote made you think that I see this on the level of human rights or something like that ? That I said I wont support this aka vote with my wallet? thats it ? Or cause I said literal death of games ? Isnt that what it is , considering those wont be accessible ever again ? the piece of art on which tens if not hundreds of people worked on, wont be able to be experienced again, relegated to some youtube videos that will become more and more pixelated as years go by due to the mandatory compression.

Taking a small basic stance like not purchasing something, is like human rights for you ? You're either super weird or desperate for attention.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yes it has dynamic events, it also has drop in co-op.
Each time you play the world will have changed they've said so it needs to be online, it's that simple.

Many games have that and can be completely played offline. There is zero excuse. It's simple greed.

Thebonehead

Banned
You're kinda weird lad. First, what exactly from what I wrote made you think that I see this on the level of human rights or something like that ? That I said I wont support this aka vote with my wallet? thats it ? Or cause I said literal death of games ? Isnt that what it is , considering those wont be accessible ever again ? the piece of art on which tens if not hundreds of people worked on, wont be able to be experienced again, relegated to some youtube videos that will become more and more pixelated as years go by due to the mandatory compression.

Taking a small basic stance like not purchasing something, is like human rights for you ? You're either super weird or desperate for attention.
It was your histrionics about it being the "literal death of gaming" that was weird and smelt very Ree-like. Hence alluding to the same sort of headlines and tags they love over there.

You being you and taking "your stand" announcing that is the pure definition of being an attention whore

Dutchy

If the implausible scenario of the game one day not being able to be played even in single-player (as if Microsoft is seriously going to open itself up for that after so many people will have spent money towards it) ever emerges is a thing that bothers you in the here and now, don't bother with the game.
Many always-online games nowadays have their SP and MP counterparts fall under the same restrictions sadly. And even if it wasn't, it's a bad practice in general. I think games should be preserved as an art form as much as possible so they can withstand even the most extreme of scenario's.

I'm thinking about my personal friend who was in the top 16 of last Halo 2 players to be online on the OG xbox servers until his console literally bit the dust after three consecutive weeks of being turned on. Microsoft closed down the online servers despite the public outroar and recently also did the same to Halo 3 and 4 to the surprise and disappointment of many fans. The MCC games are very sloppy ports of the real deal. Everything feels off, and I say that as someone who still plays Halo 3 on MCC almost every day. To me it's a bummer that I'll never be able to load up a co-op custom or matchmaking game on the older iterations ever again.

It's not implausible. And even if it *almost* is, that should be enough for you to simply not stand for such a sleazy and easily unavoidable practice.

Last edited:
Isnt gamepass always online? You can't even launch the games without a connection and most people will be playing this through gamepass. So it's always online anyway. Obviously this is still stupid because you should be able to play it offline if you own the game.

Edit: I'm wrong. You don't need to be online to play your gamepass library.

Last edited:

Banned
You can? Well that's good to know. Though I'm pretty sure last time my Internet was down I couldn't access the games. Thats why I assumed otherwise.

I actually had to use that ability recently to fix a save state mismatch on my cloud save.

my save of Hi Fi Rush on Xbox didn't sync correctly with my most recent save on PC (I think I turned my PC off too quickly after exiting the game which didn't leave enough time for it to upload), so I accidentally uploaded my older save, which wqs locally stored on my Xbox, to the cloud.
so I had to cut the internet from my PC to keep it from syncing up with my outdated cloud save.

and while I was in-game I reconnected and had to restart some process with task manager to force it to sync my current PC state to the cloud...

man, Microsoft really has to add options to manually manage cloud saves. having everything work automatically can be nice and all, but in fringe situations like these it can be annoying.

Last edited:

Teletraan1

Banned
Microsoft shut down the servers for 360 versions of all the halo games earlier last year. Sure you can still play Halo online with the Master Chief collection but that requires you to buy a new game. Acting like companies especially MS as some server company wouldn't shut down servers is disingenuous as hell. They just did it to their largest IP because they want to sell you something else.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Yes nostalgia doesnt mean anything to you i get it
It does, sure. I just know an online game won’t always be available. As PS5 owner, I know I won’t be able to play Warhawk, but I’m not going to get mad at Sony about it. Not everything needs to be available forever. I’m not sure when this started, the need to have everything at your your fingertips at all times.

I’ve come to terms that I will never play certain games from my childhood again. And I’m not losing any sleep over it. But should the occasional one make its way back up to the surface, I’ll enjoy it. Goldeneye was a huge part of my teenage years. But I’ve yet to boot it up on either Switch or Xbox.

MMaRsu

Banned
It does, sure. I just know an online game won’t always be available. As PS5 owner, I know I won’t be able to play Warhawk, but I’m not going to get mad at Sony about it. Not everything needs to be available forever. I’m not sure when this started, the need to have everything at your your fingertips at all times.

I’ve come to terms that I will never play certain games from my childhood again. And I’m not losing any sleep over it. But should the occasional one make its way back up to the surface, I’ll enjoy it. Goldeneye was a huge part of my teenage years. But I’ve yet to boot it up on either Switch or Xbox.
Disengenous comparison. Warhawk was an online only MP game. Which Redfall is not.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Disengenous comparison. Warhawk was an online only MP game. Which Redfall is not.
Redfall is an online GaaS title that lets you play single player. If you really feel the need to play this game in 10 years, and haven’t moved on the the next 20 GaaS titles, I’ll buy you a coke.

Banned
Redfall is an online GaaS title that lets you play single player. If you really feel the need to play this game in 10 years, and haven’t moved on the the next 20 GaaS titles, I’ll buy you a coke.

nothing they announced so far shows any GaaS elements. it's an open world game, they themselves described as Arkane's take on Far Cry, that can be played entirely alone.

YuLY

I replayed Borderlands 2 solo 1 year ago, so a decade after it came out. Literally the same type of game, a looter shooter that can be played in coop. But you see, Borderlands can be played offline and will never be in danger.

Not everyone is nuts about the shiny new thing and only can play games that came out that year, cause they always feel the need to be a part of the zeitgeist. There is a reason I have a games library, so I can enjoy it whenever I want.

Havoc2049

nothing they announced so far shows any GaaS elements. it's an open world game, they themselves described as Arkane's take on Far Cry, that can be played entirely alone.
The single player and co-op system in Redfall is just like Grounded. Each player will have their own host game and friends can be invited to your game and jump in and out. The city of Redfall and the island seem like the Backyard in Grounded. The Backyard in Grounded is persistent and constantly updated and tweeked, new enemies and areas added etc., along with the systems and gameplay mechanics updated as well. Year 2 Redfall will probably be very different from Day 1 Redfall.

Banned
The single player and co-op system in Redfall is just like Grounded. Each player will have their own host game and friends can be invited to your game and jump in and out. The city of Redfall and the island seem like the Backyard in Grounded. The Backyard in Grounded is persistent and constantly updated and tweeked, new enemies and areas added etc., along with the systems and gameplay mechanics updated as well. Year 2 Redfall will probably be very different from Day 1 Redfall.

drop-in coop is not a justification for always online.

and for the rest of your comment, any sources for this where the devs talk about adding things to the map over time?

Havoc2049

drop-in coop is not a justification for always online.

and for the rest of your comment, any sources for this where the devs talk about adding things to the map over time?
Experience in the Xbox multiplayer and online ecosystem, and announcements that Arkane has already made tell me the game will receive constant updates. They already announced the Bite Back physical and digital deluxe edition, which includes new weapons, outfits and the Hero Pass for future heroes (a pass, just like Forza Horizon, Sea of Thieves and Halo Infinite, games that are constantly updated). Unless a game bombs, Microsoft is really good at updating their online single and multiplayer games.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Grounded can be played offline. Redfall can’t.

Banned
Experience in the Xbox multiplayer and online ecosystem, and announcements that Arkane has already made tell me the game will receive constant updates. They already announced the Bite Back physical and digital deluxe edition, which includes new weapons, outfits and the Hero Pass for future heroes (a pass, just like Forza Horizon, Sea of Thieves and Halo Infinite, games that are constantly updated). Unless a game bombs, Microsoft is really good at updating their online single and multiplayer games.

having additional cosmetics is a common thing for special editions, even Hi Fi Rush has a special edition with a handful of cosmetics.

and the hero pass sounds like the standard DLC season pass many games have, and those games usually do not need an internet connection.

also Forza Horizon 5 can be played offline even tho it literally gets 3 to 4 new cars each month with events happening all the time and a shitload of online functionality like a car marketplace where people can sell their cars to other players and all of the custom races, liveries, tunings and stuff being directly incorporated into the game dynamically whenever you interact with any of these things.

it also has realtime seasons and day/night cycles that are synced up online.

and it has a car pass where you get a bunch of new cars regularly as well as higher tier editions that give you bonuses like additional wheelspins.

it gets even better! Drop-in/drop-out coop? hah! casual shiz! Forza Horizon 4 and 5 throw every player into a populated server with other players that drive around and can interact with you.

yet, it works offline just fine...

there is not a singular reason a game like RedFall needs a forced online connection.

Last edited:
Top Bottom