• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall Is Always Online Even In Single-Player, Bethesda Confirms

Gamezone

Gold Member
I'm always online aside from maybe a few hours of my ISP doing maintenance, so I couldn't care less, but I suppose RIP to the 20 people that are affected by this. 🤷‍♂️

How many was affected by always online in Diablo and Sim City? A few million? I'm sure they was connected to the Internet. Not to mention what'll happen once they shut down the servers.

Reactions: Fuz

nkarafo

The POINT is that it has never really affected me. I own plenty of games that have had their online functionality stripped off over the years and it has never affected me as I never had any desire to play those games again.

The few times I have had issues playing games is when Xbox live has gone down, and even then it had nothing to do with the devs deciding to add online functionality to their games, but rather the online infrastructure going down. As I mentioned in one of my other posts, In the times in which that happened(which I can count on a single hand) I just do something else like make dinner or go out for a walk or something.

It is not a big deal TO ME. You guys keep telling me I am missing the point...but it is YOU guys are missing the point. I simply don't care.

Um, in your previous post that i quoted, you only specified that it doesn't affect you because you always had access on the internet, not because you never had any desire to play those games again. I wouldn't bother responding at that.

But anyway, either you care or not it doesn't change the fact that it's one extra dependency for the game to work, without adding anything in functionality or value.

Last edited:

Superkewl

Um, in your previous post that i quoted, you only specified that it doesn't affect you because you always had access on the internet, not because you never had any desire to play those games again. I wouldn't bother responding at that.

But anyway, either you care or not it doesn't change the fact that it's one extra dependency for the game to work, without adding anything in functionality or value.

The main point I made and have been making in all my posts, is that it doesn't affect me, therefore I do not care.

As for posting, this is a discussion board where we discuss all things gaming. While you are free to oppose the opinions of others, but to suggest that others censor themselves because their opinions don't align with yours is simply wrong

images

Shut0wen

Ah, lets see how this gets treated.
Last year it was a problem for GT7. But pretty sure the tone and narrative will change now that an Xbox game is doing it…..
Never even knew it had to have online play on gt7 tbh, biggest problem about this is bethesda servers are fucking shit

Metnut

They have already started. Did you see the $30 bite back upgrade for redfall. The High Fi Rush Deluxe Edition upgrade? Forza and the early access and other things you can purchase. They will basically be releasing a "bare bones" version of a game on gamepass and suppliment it with a ton of additional content you can buy in the game

Impossible for anyone to see this coming! Who could have predicted it!

Thebonehead

Banned
The POINT is that it has never really affected me. I own plenty of games that have had their online functionality stripped off over the years and it has never affected me as I never had any desire to play those games again.

The few times I have had issues playing games is when Xbox live has gone down, and even then it had nothing to do with the devs deciding to add online functionality to their games, but rather the online infrastructure going down. As I mentioned in one of my other posts, In the times in which that happened(which I can count on a single hand) I just do something else like make dinner or go out for a walk or something.

It is not a big deal TO ME. You guys keep telling me I am missing the point...but it is YOU guys are missing the point. I simply don't care.

Why are you in this thread? You don't want to discuss. We already know it doesn't matter to you, so, ok, move on...
It matters to a lot of us, though.

Careful Superkewl Superkewl we have the thread police here. You're not allowed a divergent opinion apparently

Car Chase Police GIF

Superkewl

Nah, I said he can have his opinion, but it's pointless to keep discussing because he already made it clear that it doesn't matter to him.

And yet people keep quoting me, therefore I reply.

Also, for those who have clearly stated that it does matter to them, why is it appropriate for them to post and for people like me, to not post? Sounds like censorship to me.

nkarafo

As for posting, this is a discussion board where we discuss all things gaming. While you are free to oppose the opinions of others, but to suggest that others censor themselves because their opinions don't align with yours is simply wrong

images

And when did i ever suggested that?

Why would you be upset about not being able to play a game years after release if it's a flop with barely any players?
Only a stupid person or a raging Xbox fan would say that.
Maybe the people who did buy the game enjoys it? Also pc players can usually find a work round to play with each other using 3rd party programmes. They can't do that if everything is server side.

The only people defending this are the biggest warriors on the forum.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
The main point I made and have been making in all my posts, is that it doesn't affect me, therefore I do not care.

images
No ...I'm sorry but no.
I did not want to interfere in your quarrel, but using that meme when you could use the malcolm in the middle intro "you're not the boss of me now" means that you automatically lost. And I haven't even read your quarrel, the other could be saying the moons doesn't exists or things like that, you lost there.

Kvally

Banned
There are numerous things wrong with this post.

1. The Bite Back Edition of Redfall is essentially the "gold edition" of the game and is a practice that long predates GamePass, and isn't anything remotely exclusive to Xbox.
2. Same with HiFi, it's a $10 upgrade that includes some digital content. Existed long before GamePass, and is something lots of other publishers do, including Sony.
3. Early access for the more expensive versions is another thing that existed before GamePass, and is also something Sony does, maybe even Nintendo, but I doubt that.
4. Can you point out these "bare bones" games on GamePass? I mean maybe you'll say Sea of Thieves, which launched bare bones but didn't have a ton of DLC and now is certainly not bare bones but I can't really think of anything else. But I could be missing something.

I mean just off the top of my head I can list stuff like:

Fire Emblem, just launched, already has an expansion pass. Does that mean it's bare bones?
MLB The Show 23 will have numerous special editions with bonus digital content and early access, plus microtransaction currency you can buy (stubs). Just like Sony has done with The Show for years.
GT7 had a digital deluxe edition with some small digital content and in game credits, plus you can buy more credits via MTX.
HFW had a digital deluxe edition with extra digital stuff. $10 like HiFi.
GoWR had a digital deluxe edition with extra digital shit, also $10.
Sony will release Lightfall for Destiny later this month, has numerous editions with extra content, game is loaded with other ways for them to make money.

But yes, it's all that damn GamePass!
Oh No Fire GIF

Superkewl

And when did i ever suggested that?
You said in your previous post "I wouldn't bother responding at that.". Maybe I misconstrued your meaning, but thought you were trying to tell me what to do.

No ...I'm sorry but no.
I did not want to interfere in your quarrel, but using that meme when you could use the malcolm in the middle intro "you're not the boss of me now" means that you automatically lost. And I haven't even read your quarrel, the other could be saying the moons doesn't exists or things like that, you lost there.

LOL, sorry if I had offended you. I have never seen Malcolm in the Middle. Therefore, was not aware of the proper meme usage. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:
What is the big deal, of course its online only, GT7 was too, this is a live service game.
In the future if they are closing servers I am sure they will patch it to play offline.

Such drama over nothing.
Not over nothing.
How many games have been patched when the servers go down? Not many. You can probably count them on one hand. We get new cases of games going offline or the dlc not available or not playable every month.
Do you really think Polyphony is going to patch that shit? I doubt it. They want you to forget all about past versions and buy their new game.

For example Little big planet a game series where the servers had millions of user created content. Now gone as Sony didn't want to keep the server up. Bean counters said, close it. Same happened to Drive Club, GT5, GT6, and countless other titles. I even seen it with an indie game like sound shapes. There was dlc that expanded the game. Now that the user created content server is down , no more dlc that people payed for. Its crazy.
Its even worse for single player games.

When This is no longer feasible due to bean counters see only a few thousand playing, in a few years, they will shut the servers down. You will not be able to play the game. A game like borderlands you can still play, as online co-op is peer to peer, not locked behind servers.

I have no problem with the model for multiplayer only games, but single player portions should be available offline. I get an hour at most for gaming each night (sometimes more, if i escape into the bathroom, thank you switch and steam deck!!!) That being said, I don't get to play everything at launch. I also wait for sales. I have well over a 1000 games when you combine switch, ps4/5, and steam going back decades. Plus older and retro consoles, and handhelds will bring that up even more. I can play nes, ps1 and ps3 games from long ago.

Hell I can play a game like gt4 and use old cars that aren't in the new games.
One of my favorite Sim-light racing game is Need For Speed Shift 1 and 2. I can play both of them offline as back then single player wasn't tied to online. The online leaderboards and challenges from opponents ghosts is gone, but the base game is still there.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
You said in your previous post "I wouldn't bother responding at that.". Maybe I misconstrued your meaning, but thought you were trying to tell me what to do.

LOL, sorry if I had offended you. I have never seen Malcolm in the Middle. Therefore, was not aware of the proper meme usage. :messenger_winking_tongue:
Don't worry man , half of my posts aren't serious, but do yourself a favor and go watch it, I think a lot of people here would agree.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Wrong side of 50 here.

I remember when steam was a peculiar DRM license activation for your half life 2 cd. Look what it's evolved into now. As per those 2030 predictions from the world economic forum fun a few years back, they would seem to be true sooner.

I'm now at the stage where I just don't care enough anymore about these things. A game being always online that I play through gamepass, a service that will disconnect me if I'm not online, isn't a hill I feel worth taking a stand and dying on.
You and me both brotherman :) Been gaming almost since it all started. The services we have today.. man.. it'd seriously blow my mind back in the days.. Feels like I've got the whole world at my fingertips. Good times.

Beechos

. . .well, "anything" would be nice if you are going to jump into a thread about said game to criticize it.

I know all i need to know about the game for myself. mulitplayer coop shooter from arkane with a vampire theme/setting thats been delayed mult times.
Whats so astounding about coming to a hypothesis that the always online is prob due to loot system and players being able to jump in and out of your game?

Have you even followed the game? Cause it does in fact seem like theres looting/gear/comestics where this will be a gaas style looter shooter.

nkarafo

I was referring to myself. That i, nkarafo, wouldn't bother to respond and quote you if i knew that information (that you don't care revisiting those games).

Sorry, English is my second language i could probably express that more clearly.

Not over nothing.
How many games have been patched when the servers go down? Not many. You can probably count them on one hand. We get new cases of games going offline or the dlc not available or not playable every month.
Do you really think Polyphony is going to patch that shit? I doubt it. They want you to forget all about past versions and buy their new game.

For example Little big planet a game series where the servers had millions of user created content. Now gone as Sony didn't want to keep the server up. Bean counters said, close it. Same happened to Drive Club, GT5, GT6, and countless other titles. I even seen it with an indie game like sound shapes. There was dlc that expanded the game. Now that the user created content server is down , no more dlc that people payed for. Its crazy.
Its even worse for single player games.

When This is no longer feasible due to bean counters see only a few thousand playing, in a few years, they will shut the servers down. You will not be able to play the game. A game like borderlands you can still play, as online co-op is peer to peer, not locked behind servers.

I have no problem with the model for multiplayer only games, but single player portions should be available offline. I get an hour at most for gaming each night (sometimes more, if i escape into the bathroom, thank you switch and steam deck!!!) That being said, I don't get to play everything at launch. I also wait for sales. I have well over a 1000 games when you combine switch, ps4/5, and steam going back decades. Plus older and retro consoles, and handhelds will bring that up even more. I can play nes, ps1 and ps3 games from long ago.

Hell I can play a game like gt4 and use old cars that aren't in the new games.
One of my favorite Sim-light racing game is Need For Speed Shift 1 and 2. I can play both of them offline as back then single player wasn't tied to online. The online leaderboards and challenges from opponents ghosts is gone, but the base game is still there.
You do realize once GT7 and Redfall is "dead" there will probably be a patch that disable the need for online. Back 4 blood did this I believe.

Kdad

I'm winding down gaming just at the right time it seems...persistent online for single player can go fuck its self with an N-Gage.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Or it's simply that the vast majority of people don't give a shit and are always online already.

Nobody is "always" online. Technology is imperfect, and there are outages that are going to affect everyone at one time or another. Even if someone's internet is running smoothly, there is still a chance that Xbox's servers could have an issue. If Xbox's servers are running smoothly there is a chance your ISP has an issue. There is no 100% uptime for internet.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Nobody is "always" online. Technology is imperfect, and there are outages that are going to affect everyone at one time or another. Even if someone's internet is running smoothly, there is still a chance that Xbox's servers could have an issue. If Xbox's servers are running smoothly there is a chance your ISP has an issue. There is no 100% uptime for internet.

The chance of your local hardware (console, controller, whatever) failing is generally higher than your ISP going down at the moment of you being in a game (just for illustration purposes of course). Also by now most people are getting mostly used to online dependencies by playing multiplayer games and streaming services. Which why some of us lift our eyebrows over the sometimes exaggerated outrage over a technical chance of something theoretical happening while / despite also being partly understanding of the basic principles behind the resistance.

Edit: drganon, what, you're not mentally capable of discourse? My sympathies.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
The chance of your local hardware (console, controller, whatever) failing is generally higher than your ISP going down at the moment of you being in a game (just for illustration purposes of course).

Flying unicorns and Bigfoot both exist. See? I can make shit up, too. Bye Felicia.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
My biggest problem with these games is the forced updates. If it needs to be online all the time, the asshole publishers decide that I need to have the latest version all the time. This means I can't sneak in a quick session if there is a new update because I need to wait for the download and install. So basically they steal my gaming time so they can force me to keep current. I was playing Fallout 76 for the last few weeks and got hit with the forced update 3 fucking times. 3 fucking times in 2 weeks and I only played as a single player. One was 17 GB and took over an hour, a day later there was a 1 GB one and a few days after that was another fucking patch that I let install, then uninstalled the fucking game.

I want to play games on my time, not wait for updates to install.

Ar¢tos

Maybe it has server generated loot or planned server events (like the original Demon's Souls).
(or maybe it's just good old fashioned DRM...)

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Sucks for those who do not have the internet. If there is no reason for it, it shouldn't be there. Just like GT7.

But anyway...

call the midwife GIF by PBS

drganon

The chance of your local hardware (console, controller, whatever) failing is generally higher than your ISP going down at the moment of you being in a game (just for illustration purposes of course). Also by now most people are getting mostly used to online dependencies by playing multiplayer games and streaming services. Which why some of us lift our eyebrows over the sometimes exaggerated outrage over a technical chance of something theoretical happening while / despite also being partly understanding of the basic principles behind the resistance.

Edit: drganon, what, you're not mentally capable of discourse? My sympathies.
I'm not arguing with an idiot.

Top Bottom