• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall Is Always Online Even In Single-Player, Bethesda Confirms

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This is utter bullshit. No reason for any single player game to release as Always Online. It was bullshit with Diablo III, it was bullshit with Gran Turismo 7, its bullshit now.

Also love seeing the twat warriors defending this after they claimed always online was bad. Even continuing after being called out. Pathetic.

Don-Mattrick-1.jpg

Soon don soon, your time will come
never gets old lol

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
My PS5 is an exclusives machine and honestly outside of downloading horizon that came bundled my console is often months without touching the Internet. You have a master chief icon, not being mean but that says you have an Xbox and when you have a console that's doing authorisation checks just to create an offline profile you're getting used to stuff that's a bit bothersome.
It’s an avatar of Fox McCloud and the aMaster Chief. I have a switch, series X and a PS5. All always connected. No problem with it.

Nydius

The High Fi Rush Deluxe Edition upgrade?
I didn't even know this was a thing until your post. Then I went to look it up.

20,000 Gears and a bunch of extra cosmetics that can't be accessed until after they beat the game once? For $9.99?
I feel sorry for anyone who buys it early and then wonders why they can't immediately access 95% of the deluxe edition content.

sendit

Who cares the game looks meh
.........you totally missed the point! People want to own their games and not have to connect to the internet in 2023. I don't use credit cards or banks. My cash is safely stored underneath the second floor board as your enter my abode. I have a farm of gerbils generating electricity via their fun wheel. I am entirely off the grid and disconnected from the outside world.

Last edited:

Thebonehead

Banned
people want to own their games, not rent. it's not about having internet.
Well that's obviously untrue based on the digital versus retail split these days.

Buying from the digital stores such as Steam, Xbox, PSN,Epic etc gets you a license to play the game for as long as the publisher wants you to. You own nothing.

clarky

Gold Member
Ya'll outraged because you need an internet connection for the game, in the other thread ya'll think the game looks shit and wont be playing anyways, before that it was because its a co-op game. Make your minds up.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Always online not an issue by itself but for a single player game? That is stupid. So I’ve bought a single player game that I can’t play later because you decided to shutdown the servers? I mean if they committed to remove that requirement by the end then that would be the optimal solution but if it is always online by design and can’t be changed then again, that is stupid.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Well that's obviously untrue based on the digital versus retail split these days.

Buying from the digital stores such as Steam, Xbox, PSN,Epic etc gets you a license to play the game for as long as the publisher wants you to. You own nothing.
Well, a license for a long time vs a server fee rent that might shutdown in 2 years. I don’t have an issue with always online but not for single player games.

How many games have lost server access and are now not playable, or loose dlc access or online. There are tons. Having single player tied to always online is the problem.

I am starting to think there are two types of gamers here. Those who are casual players who play 1 or two shooters and play the "newest thing" then discard it, and those who like to keep a collection and go back to classics and older games.
I noticed this with a lot of gen z gamers (son and friends) who seem to play more f2p multiplayer then anything else. It must be a generational thing or that some people will go along with all change and others will push back.

Yeah I was thinking that the new generations must believe in the permanence of the internet or something (lol).
Also, they have been brought up in a world of subscription services and where the idea of owning things like music and video is old-fashioned.
And the point made earlier about an American company believing the rest of the world has America's internet infrastructure was a good one.

But I don't know how old everybody here is. The alternative reasons are just sad imo.

Last edited:

Thebonehead

Banned
Yeah I was thinking that the new generations must believe in the permanence of the internet or something (lol).
Also, they have been brought up in a world of subscription services and where the idea of owning things like music and video is old-fashioned.
And the point made earlier about an American company believing the rest of the world has America's internet infrastructure was a good one.

But I don't know how old everybody here is. The alternative reasons are just sad imo.
Wrong side of 50 here.

I remember when steam was a peculiar DRM license activation for your half life 2 cd. Look what it's evolved into now. As per those 2030 predictions from the world economic forum fun a few years back, they would seem to be true sooner.

'You’ll own nothing. And you’ll be happy. What you want you’ll rent, and it’ll be delivered by drone.”

I'm now at the stage where I just don't care enough anymore about these things. A game being always online that I play through gamepass, a service that will disconnect me if I'm not online, isn't a hill I feel worth taking a stand and dying on.

Digital on steam gets me the files that I can copy and paste into new computers. Some of the games require login but that is on the studios. You are being dishonest; you can be digital while NOT being always-online. Trying to use Digital as an argument is LYING.

Thebonehead

Banned
Digital on steam gets me the files that I can copy and paste into new computers. Some of the games require login but that is on the studios. You are being dishonest; you can be digital while NOT being always-online. Trying to use Digital as an argument is LYING.
You're obviously too stupid to comprehend what I said, as nowhere in my statement did I talk about always online..

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I didn't even know this was a thing until your post. Then I went to look it up.

20,000 Gears and a bunch of extra cosmetics that can't be accessed until after they beat the game once? For $9.99?
I feel sorry for anyone who buys it early and then wonders why they can't immediately access 95% of the deluxe edition content.

Just to throw this out there, but you gain access to the cosmetics as soon as you gain access to the mirror in the hideout (so after the first boss)

No need to beat the game.

Naru

I am also always online, even in single player. I hope they find something that works with quick resume though.

Last edited:

H4ze

I don't give a shit, i am always online anyway, like everybody else at this point.. and dont tell me that you want to play it 20 years from now..

I don't give a shit, i am always online anyway, like everybody else at this point.. and dont tell me that you want to play it 20 years from now..
If the game isn't worth playing 20 years from now, it isn't worth playing today.

I would be happy to restart a new game on Chrono Trigger. If you don't yet have a single game you feel is going to survive the passage of time, I hope you find it one day. And when that happened, I hope that the game isn't always online so that you would be able to conserve it for yourself.

H4ze

If the game isn't worth playing 20 years from now, it isn't worth playing today.

I would be happy to restart a new game on Chrono Trigger. If you don't yet have a single game you feel is going to survive the passage of time, I hope you find it one day. And when that happened, I hope that the game isn't always online so that you would be able to conserve it for yourself.
That's bs because I know exactly beforehand, that a GAAS game is going to be shut down at some point. A SNES game can be played forever via emulation lmao, it's a bad example.

And what shit opinion is the one about a game not worth playing now. Like you only play absolute masterpieces all the time. 98 % of all games played wont be touched for a second run ever by most players.

If the game is that good, people will find a way to keep it alive, no matter what. If it's not, no one will give a damn about it being shut down years from now...

That's bs because I know exactly beforehand, that a GAAS game is going to be shut down at some point. A SNES game can be played forever via emulation lmao, it's a bad example.

And what shit opinion is the one about a game not worth playing now. Like you only play absolute masterpieces all the time. 98 % of all games played wont be touched for a second run ever by most players.

If the game is that good, people will find a way to keep it alive, no matter what. If it's not, no one will give a damn about it being shut down years from now...
You know WHO keeps good games alive no matter what? The kind of people who are arguing with you. The kind of people who don't treat games like they are one night stands. If everyone thinks like you, then no games get saved.

H4ze

You know WHO keeps good games alive no matter what? The kind of people who are arguing with you. The kind of people who don't treat games like they are one night stands. If everyone thinks like you, then no games get saved.
lol where did I say I don't want to preserve these games?
And who said Redfall will be a good game? We don't know yet, could be shit and not worth the effort to make it playable in 20 years.
Did YOU ever preserve a game on your own?

All I say is, that always online in the year 2023 is no problem for 99 % of the people in this forum. It's mostly bitching about it for the bitching itself.

Spaceman292

Banned
All this does is ensure I'll only play it via Game Pass and will never purchase it. I'm not going to buy a product whose single player content will, by design, be a coaster in the future. Same reason I haven't bought GT7.

Anyone justifying this because "lulz who doesn't have the internet" doesn't have the mental capacity to understand why this level of DRM is shitty for the industry and consumers. Companies already have consumers by the balls with regards to copyright law, and yet there are people in here cheering for a future where you pay your money but can lose access at any time with no recourse. FOH.
These posts really annoy me. I can't believe people are still using this argument even after the dozens of examples of other games doing this exact thing and running in to problems. Outriders being broken on launch, Fallout 76 leaking people's data from the Bethesda launcher, Anthem being totally gutted and dogshit, Titanfall 1 being hacked and never fixed...

Last edited:

Regginator

I'm always online aside from maybe a few hours of my ISP doing maintenance, so I couldn't care less, but I suppose RIP to the 20 people that are affected by this. 🤷‍♂️

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
What else does one need to know to talk about this game? Sorry if i havent followed every press release, tweet, post about this game. You seem to be the "authority" of this game getting triggered.

. . .well, "anything" would be nice if you are going to jump into a thread about said game to criticize it.

They have already started. Did you see the $30 bite back upgrade for redfall. The High Fi Rush Deluxe Edition upgrade? Forza and the early access and other things you can purchase. They will basically be releasing a "bare bones" version of a game on gamepass and suppliment it with a ton of additional content you can buy in the game

There's nothing "barebones" about any of these base games. The hyperbole is something else. . .

Spaceman292

Banned
They have already started. Did you see the $30 bite back upgrade for redfall. The High Fi Rush Deluxe Edition upgrade? Forza and the early access and other things you can purchase. They will basically be releasing a "bare bones" version of a game on gamepass and suppliment it with a ton of additional content you can buy in the game
The deluxe edition for Hifi Rush only gives you an extra tshirt for your guy to wear. I wouldn't call the base game 'barebones.'

Regginator

Then don’t cry at launch when servers get hammered and you can’t play the game. I will copy your post then.
I'm still not seeing the problem because that sounds like a Bethesda-problem for skimping on server costs and not principally an always-online-problem, which was the point I tried making.

Guilty_AI

I'm still not seeing the problem because that sounds like a Bethesda-problem for skimping on server costs and not principally an always-online-problem, which was the point I tried making.
The problem with always online and drms are precisely how they increase the number of variables that can go wrong. And for what? To forcefully get their hands on player data? Neurosis over piracy? It gives no benefits to the players while simultaneously increasing software instability.

hemo memo

Gold Member
It is an always-online problem if all I wanted is to play single player.

Superkewl

That's not the point. It's a needless requirement for single player games. Also, if the servers ever go down, you won;t be able to revisit your game.

The POINT is that it has never really affected me. I own plenty of games that have had their online functionality stripped off over the years and it has never affected me as I never had any desire to play those games again.

The few times I have had issues playing games is when Xbox live has gone down, and even then it had nothing to do with the devs deciding to add online functionality to their games, but rather the online infrastructure going down. As I mentioned in one of my other posts, In the times in which that happened(which I can count on a single hand) I just do something else like make dinner or go out for a walk or something.

It is not a big deal TO ME. You guys keep telling me I am missing the point...but it is YOU guys are missing the point. I simply don't care.

FBeeEye

Banned
There are all sorts of reasons why people might not be able to/want to have their console online the whole time. You don't buy a console expecting that to be necessary.

Besides, that clearly isn't the point. Does any other industry have people cheerleading anti-consumer practices within it? How do you feel about BMW introducing subscription services to heat your seats?
What year are we in again?

What is the big deal, of course its online only, GT7 was too, this is a live service game.
In the future if they are closing servers I am sure they will patch it to play offline.

Such drama over nothing.
That is what back 4 blood did. I don’t want the integrity or features being held back because people can’t seem to connect online.

This is a huge L for their marketing department, stop having the developers talk about single player if it needs a persistent internet connection.

That is not what the majority of gamers consider single player. Single player means I can buy this shit for my Steam Deck and play wherever I want and think about syncing my save later when I have a connection.

There are numerous things wrong with this post.

1. The Bite Back Edition of Redfall is essentially the "gold edition" of the game and is a practice that long predates GamePass, and isn't anything remotely exclusive to Xbox.
2. Same with HiFi, it's a $10 upgrade that includes some digital content. Existed long before GamePass, and is something lots of other publishers do, including Sony.
3. Early access for the more expensive versions is another thing that existed before GamePass, and is also something Sony does, maybe even Nintendo, but I doubt that.
4. Can you point out these "bare bones" games on GamePass? I mean maybe you'll say Sea of Thieves, which launched bare bones but didn't have a ton of DLC and now is certainly not bare bones but I can't really think of anything else. But I could be missing something.

I mean just off the top of my head I can list stuff like:

Fire Emblem, just launched, already has an expansion pass. Does that mean it's bare bones?
MLB The Show 23 will have numerous special editions with bonus digital content and early access, plus microtransaction currency you can buy (stubs). Just like Sony has done with The Show for years.
GT7 had a digital deluxe edition with some small digital content and in game credits, plus you can buy more credits via MTX.
HFW had a digital deluxe edition with extra digital stuff. $10 like HiFi.
GoWR had a digital deluxe edition with extra digital shit, also $10.
Sony will release Lightfall for Destiny later this month, has numerous editions with extra content, game is loaded with other ways for them to make money.

But yes, it's all that damn GamePass!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Always online is a talking point if they allowed play without always online we know some would be onboard with that.

DaGwaphics

Why would you be upset about not being able to play a game years after release if it's a flop with barely any players?

In all honesty though, even if it totally flopped it could still be someone's favorite game of all time. I'm sure there were dozens of people upset with the loss of Babylon's Fall.

Swift_Star

Banned
The POINT is that it has never really affected me. I own plenty of games that have had their online functionality stripped off over the years and it has never affected me as I never had any desire to play those games again.

The few times I have had issues playing games is when Xbox live has gone down, and even then it had nothing to do with the devs deciding to add online functionality to their games, but rather the online infrastructure going down. As I mentioned in one of my other posts, In the times in which that happened(which I can count on a single hand) I just do something else like make dinner or go out for a walk or something.

It is not a big deal TO ME. You guys keep telling me I am missing the point...but it is YOU guys are missing the point. I simply don't care.
Why are you in this thread? You don't want to discuss. We already know it doesn't matter to you, so, ok, move on...
It matters to a lot of us, though.

Top Bottom