• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redfall Is Always Online Even In Single-Player, Bethesda Confirms

Katajx

Gold Member
Come on man. . .like what're you even defending here? At BEST the person you're defending has bad English and doesn't understand the weight of the words they are using. This:

- doesn't sound good whether you're talking about video games or not. At the very least they could have used code words ("Ugh, I hate how WOKE this cast looks"), but they just went in on the whole hog there.
That he made a stupid comment and had a very poor choice of words.

I’m not going to label him as a homophobe and a racist over that.

He said he gets more immersed playing certain characters in a video game and doesn’t want to be forced into certain things.

Am I not allowed to express my opinion about his? Are you the arbiter of that? See? Works both ways, don't it?

And yeah, I think he should have referenced "character customization" rather than saying he didn't like the "ethnic race" of the characters. That's my opinion.
Yeah perhaps you are right that would of sounded better.

I just find encroachment on speech bad, I seen this place morph from fun to a hell hole (with the mods and people who formed resetera) then back again to a fun forum after 2019.
He didn't target anyone specifically, or any group of people, if he did i missed it. All good, we all have opinions.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah perhaps you are right that would of sounded better.

I just find encroachment on speech bad, I seen this place morph from fun to a hell hole (with the mods and people who formed resetera) then back again to a fun forum after 2019.
He didn't target anyone specifically, or any group of people, if he did i missed it. All good, we all have opinions.

He has some cringe-worthy posts in this thread, imo. I'll leave it at that. I get what you are saying though. Having a banned account on resetera myself, I understand all too well what heavy-handed politically motivated moderation looks like and I'm thankful we don't have that here.

In games like Skyrim, I prefer to play as the Nord, Khajit, or Argonian, but I will never see myself as playing as a Dark Elf, Orc, or Red Guard. It's a preference thing.
It's like I don't want to be forced to play a male character doing gay romances in video games, me being straight, I find that shit uncomfortable and off putting.
There’s like two POC characters and two white characters. I don’t get it are you saying the mere fact that a couple of characters aren’t white puts you off?

Topher

Gold Member
There’s like two POC characters and two white characters. I don’t get it are you saying the mere fact that a couple of characters aren’t white puts you off?

Not to mention......it's a first person game.

Just Sayin GIF by MOODMAN

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Yes, I don't like the playable characters. I don't like their ethnic race, their facial structure, or their personality. I just can't relate to them, it feels off. If this game had some type of character customization where I can create a character that represents how I want them to be, then I tend to enjoy it more like most Action RPGs like Elden Ring, Fallout, and Elder Scrolls titles. Because I don't like the characters, it's not appealing to me. So I don't want to bother even trying out the game, even if it's available on GamePass.

6Iqqdsr.png

Not even gonna bother trying to hide it huh?
These Ninjas really living the good life.
Ive never used the ignore feature on NeoGAF......but people really are testing me.
This is why i wanted Arkane to stay independent.
Why so they could make a sequel to KarmaStar?
picture-006.png

Cuz thats the last game they made while they were independent, before that they did Dark Messiah and Arx Fatalis and basically went broke.

Last edited:
It sounds that way. But to each their own, he can just not play it.
Yeah, I get that - but he’s saying the game puts him off due to the presence of non-white characters that you don’t even have to use. That’s… kinda fucked up. I dunno maybe I’m missing something here. I’m not gonna call for whatever I just think that’s very clearly a racist line of thinking. Not saying he’s a racist and that’s that - but maybe it’s a teachable thing and he can examine why this bothers him

Last edited:

Puscifer

I think it’s safe to say that if you don’t have your console connected online at all times, you might have a bigger issue than Redfall requiring an online connection.
My PS5 is an exclusives machine and honestly outside of downloading horizon that came bundled my console is often months without touching the Internet. You have a master chief icon, not being mean but that says you have an Xbox and when you have a console that's doing authorisation checks just to create an offline profile you're getting used to stuff that's a bit bothersome.

Puscifer

I'm not racist or homophobic, I just have preferences. And my preference is not being gay. Other people can be gay, sure that's them, but I'll do me and pursue straight relationships in my video games. Female lesbian romances are okay with me though, that has eye candy.
I just don't like people pushing their agenda on me that I have to be gay or transgender in video games. No, fuck that shit. I want my video game relationships to be simple like Banjo Kazooie a simple relationship between a bear and a bird.

There's so much I love about this post 😆

ZehDon

Gold Member
I thought this was a looter shooter? I presumed it was always online because that's what that genre is?

Puscifer

Video game footage from the devs.

Yes, I don't like the playable characters. I don't like their ethnic race, their facial structure, or their personality. I just can't relate to them, it feels off.

Yeah, I get that - but he’s saying the game puts him off due to the presence of non-white characters that you don’t even have to use. That’s… kinda fucked up. I dunno maybe I’m missing something here. I’m not gonna call for whatever I just think that’s very clearly a racist line of thinking. Not saying he’s a racist and that’s that - but maybe it’s a teachable thing and he can examine why this bothers him
Can we just mention dude didn't just say race, he said FACIAL STRUCTURE. That's beyond saying you want to create a character, dudes on some racial superiority shit without outright saying it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I thought this was a looter shooter? I presumed it was always online because that's what that genre is?

It's a story based looter shooter, likely there is drop-in drop-out co-op all the time which requires this.

But worse comes to worse they might just patch offline playability years later when the game is about to be sunset.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
We really still don't know. It definitely has some of those elements, but I think they have done a shit job explaining how this game is going to work.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
We really still don't know. It definitely has some of those elements, but I think they have done a shit job explaining how this game is going to work.

They literally just did that last week. Like. . .other than explaining EVERYTHING about what you do in the game, I don't think you can have a clearer view of what kind of game REDFALL is.

Can we just mention dude didn't just say race, he said FACIAL STRUCTURE. That's beyond saying you want to create a character, dudes on some racial superiority shit without outright saying it.
I’m trying to give the benefit of the doubt to a massive, ludicrous degree and hope he meant he doesn’t like the general art style of the characters? “Facial structure” is a very strange way to say that though… either way he’s already said enough with his comments to clearly display he has some sort of racial problem. The preference thing makes zero sense.

Neolombax

So this game isn't a GaaS? Huh, surprising. In any case, the people who said its not a problem since the internet is always available, just wait until you can't play they game because there's tons of people queuing to enter the game, or have your progress potentially wiped because of server issues. I think these are legitimate concerns when games are always online.

Actually, I do. What exactly do layoffs, all of which have not yet transpired, have to do exactly with their ability to patch a game for offline play and preservation purposes? Microsoft isn't stupid. Do you realize how easy a class action lawsuit that would be if people bought or subscribed to Redfall only to never be able to play it again at all? Just stop and think for a moment. Put the Xbox hatred aside.
What lawsuit? You living under a rock for the last decade? Every few months we have threads about certain games being disconnected and never being able to play again. This is not hypothetical, this is what had happened for an entire Console generation.

Game studios don't want you to keep playing. You being locked out is not a flaw, it is a feature. If you keep playing the old game then they can't sell you the sequel. You are acting like this is something NEW.

It isn't, it is old shit and we are tired of it. Now we know the game is GAAS with single player that would one day be unplugged and rendered unplayable.

That he made a stupid comment and had a very poor choice of words.

I’m not going to label him as a homophobe and a racist over that.

He said he gets more immersed playing certain characters in a video game and doesn’t want to be forced into certain things.
Forced into certain things like what? Being black or brown is a skin color it’s not a behavior. And it’s first person. He can also easily play as a white male for the entire game and call it a day so I don’t really understand.

Anyway done mentioning it just some things are obvious.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Borderlands is a looter shooter and doesn't have such a requirement.
Borderlands didn't really describe itself as a "looter shooter", because we didn't have that term when it first got rolling. Destiny was when the term got popularised, as a way of differentiation it from "MMO". The Division, Wildlands, Breakpoint, etc., all rode on it. It means an online game about looting and shooting with friends, like an MMO but smaller. I was under the impression that Redfall was a "looter shooter" in the way its typically used.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
I’m trying to give the benefit of the doubt to a massive, ludicrous degree and hope he meant he doesn’t like the general art style of the characters? “Facial structure” is a very strange way to say that though… either way he’s already said enough with his comments to clearly display he has some sort of racial problem. The preference thing makes zero sense.
I think it’s pretty clear what he meant and it’s not the artstyle, which is cool btw.
JqAo3x3.jpg

levyjl1988

Banned
I think it’s pretty clear what he meant and it’s not the artstyle, which is cool btw.
JqAo3x3.jpg
None of these characters are attractive, they look fucking ugly like the characters you play as in Sea of Thieves. The facial feature of the girl on the far right is too masculine. The characters suck, the art style sucks, and None of them is appealing to me. I find this thread unbelievable in how people are misconstruing what I'm saying. There are no sexy anime waifuus or character races I want. I can't even play as a rogue vampire in this game.

It reminds me of Black Widow's face before the fix.
RFYzWVc.jpg

Last edited:

Beechos

. . .so you basically haven't followed the game but are now totally willing to discuss it with some authority.

Nah. It just isn't all Chad's. So immediately "woke" and of lower quality.

Holy Christ this is fantastic.

What else does one need to know to talk about this game? Sorry if i havent followed every press release, tweet, post about this game. You seem to be the "authority" of this game getting triggered.

KXVXII9X

I am fairly engaged with video game culture and visit and post here, look at vg news, follow accounts on twitter and I just don't recall unstable connections or data caps being much of a problem recently and as such honestly didn't think that it was a problem - I know people used to talk about download sizes of games and how data caps made that difficult, but I haven't heard of it in a long time. I know some people are passionately against always online, but I thought the angle on always online was that you couldn't play a game if the servers were off or you'd never truly own it, how would you play it in 40 years, which you can still do with an Atari and pac man, etc. I can understand those points, but it just doesn't really bother me.

Does your internet connection or data cap stop you from playing or downloading or updating games? I'm sorry to hear it if so.

EDIT: So disappointing to get a notification only to find it's something from Ezekiel.

200.gif
Lol at the last part.

Unfortunately, the only internet available where I live (Rural US), I have been unable to play most online games due to my internet and it seems to be getting worse every year. Some games I would be able to play, I can no longer play.

Stuff like Genshin Impact doesn't even connect to my internet. I can browse and do stuff online but it is kind of slow. I just have DSL. Ping is usually so high on online games I hardly bother. I bypass it using my phone tethering through an app.

None of these characters are attractive, they look fucking ugly like the characters you play as in Sea of Thieves. The facial feature of the girl on the far right is too masculine. The characters suck, the art style sucks, and None of them is appealing to me. I find this thread unbelievable in how people are misconstruing what I'm saying. There are no sexy anime waifuus or character races I want. I can't even play as a rogue vampire in this game.

RFYzWVc.jpg
How can anyone misconstrue the “I don’t like their ethnic race”? Comment. I’m genuinely curious. Because the “immersion”/“preference” shit makes no sense. Even if that was the case that it was acceptable that you couldn’t stomach playing as anyone but your own race (which itself is an issue). You CAN play as a white male if you choose to, or a white female - there is literally no reason their ethnicity would factor into anything here beyond the idea that you simply don’t like non-whites in your video games. Which no matter how you slice it is problematic.

And no you’re not talking about race as in vampire or elf “races” - you said “ethnic race”. And they’re all humans, you don’t play video games where you play as a human being? I think not.

On the topic at hand:

I feel like we’re just gonna have to get used to this being the norm as years go on. Not enough people cared enough to stop it from happening in the first place and now it is what it is. Just like day one patches and what not. The days of putting a game disc into a console and it just playing wherever you are - effectively they’re over.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I thought this was a left 4 dead online coop game? Seems like all the marketing was around that. It's not?? Single player?

Swift_Star

Banned

RFYzWVc.jpg
There’s no misconstrue to be made when you yourself said you don’t like their ethnic race. Your words.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I'm not racist or homophobic, I just have preferences. And my preference is not being gay. Other people can be gay, sure that's them, but I'll do me and pursue straight relationships in my video games. Female lesbian romances are okay with me though, that has eye candy.
I just don't like people pushing their agenda on me that I have to be gay or transgender in video games. No, fuck that shit. I want my video game relationships to be simple like Banjo Kazooie a simple relationship between a bear and a bird.
Cbs Reaction GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Where the fuck did that come from and what does it have to do with Redfall?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I find this thread unbelievable in how people are misconstruing what I'm saying. There are no character races I want.
Whats there to misconstrue?
We are quoting you directly.
You dont like the characters ethnic races.

Mate no need to hide behind language just say what you mean.
This hidden lingo shit is tired we all know what you are saying.

Digital games I buy all can be transferred. I deliberately do not buy games that act otherwise.

And as for GAAS game, that is even more reason to avoid it. "Cheaters" are just people who don't want to be financially ripped off. Basically you just explained why people shouldn't buy it. It is GAAS.

You may not like GAAS games, but millions do. Don't just ask me, just look at the most played games on XBL, PSN, Steam, etc. If online is necessary for a game mechanic or to prevent cheater then so be it.

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
Whats there to misconstrue?
We are quoting you directly.
You dont like the characters ethnic races.

Mate no need to hide behind language just say what you mean.
This hidden lingo shit is tired we all know what you are saying.
You know what, whatever, you interpret whatever you think I'm saying, but I know what I'm saying, and this is exactly what's wrong with the internet. I don't need to justify myself to a bunch of random people on the internet.
You people all sound like some type of social justice police. anyway conforming to some hive mind shit and forcing your belief structures. So you can all fuck off then.
I stuck with NeoGaf and I find that ResetEra culture has invaded these forums as well. Everything is woke and I am against this woke culture.
Woke culture is what made The Star Wars franchise fail with the latest trilogy of movies.
It's what destroyed the latest Saints Row game and pretty much destroyed every franchise that I enjoyed.
I like playing as attractive sexy characters with good facial structure, why? Well, there is a whole fucking documentary on attractive faces by John Cleese called "Faces", watch it.
I prefer symmetry and perfection.
I'll stick with my opinion.
I will rage against the dying of the light and die on the hill of my own damn based opinion.
I like J.K Rowling and she shouldn't be canceled. I think Jordon Peterson is brilliant and I find C.K Louis funny. Fuck cancel culture.
I dislike watching gay men have sex on screen, it's off-putting to watch like watching your parents kiss or seeing your ex. I am not gay. Nor do I want to watch it. People can celebrate that shit in private.

You pretty much all derailed this topic anyways with your hidden agenda to dismiss the topic anyways.
I'll vote with my wallet and not buy this game because it doesn't appeal to me anyways.
Fuck GAAS! I want this shitty trope to die so we can get more games like Elden Ring. Fuck you and your forced opinion and belief in how others should conduct themselves.

Yoboman

Video game footage from the devs.

Yes, I don't like the playable characters. I don't like their ethnic race, their facial structure, or their personality. I just can't relate to them, it feels off. If this game had some type of character customization where I can create a character that represents how I want them to be, then I tend to enjoy it more like most Action RPGs like Elden Ring, Fallout, and Elder Scrolls titles. Because I don't like the characters, it's not appealing to me. So I don't want to bother even trying out the game, even if it's available on GamePass.

Not to mention that the anticonsumer of always being online for single-player campaign is offputting.
No.way...Yall are getting way too comfortable

Redfall was given a release date during the Xbox Bethesda event last week, but it turns out there could be significant downsides to the multiplayer portion of the game. As confirmed by Bethesda, the game will be “always online” even when you’re playing in single-player, which could raise concerns as to the longevity of the game and how long you can actually play it for.

As stated in the official FAQ:

“A persistent online connection is required for single-player and co-op. A Bethesda.net account is required.”

gen_204
IMG_7169.jpg

This means that Redfall joins the infamous Always-On DRM list of games that includes Crash Bandicoot 4: It’s About Time, Forza Horizon, Gran Turismo 7, and more.

The main concern with DRM of this nature is the potential that eventually servers could be completely removed, which would render the games completely unplayable. This leads to a loss of investment and especially a loss of a product that the player has paid for. It also means that players need their console to always be connected to the internet, even if they wish to play Redfall offline.

It remains to be seen exactly how this will play out for Redfall, since the game has the potential to last for years from release.
Microsoft/Xbox sound worst and worst the more i hear 💯

Nubulax

No one should be surprised about this.

Will be interesting to see what schemes Microsoft comes up with next to monetize Gamepass.

Weren’t they just talking about how this game provided a full single player experience?
They have already started. Did you see the $30 bite back upgrade for redfall. The High Fi Rush Deluxe Edition upgrade? Forza and the early access and other things you can purchase. They will basically be releasing a "bare bones" version of a game on gamepass and suppliment it with a ton of additional content you can buy in the game

Last edited:
Top Bottom