• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Matter 2 - Announcement Trailer

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Red Matter 2 picks up right where the first game’s story concluded. After breaking free from the simulation that held your own mind hostage, your first priority is to escape the Atlantic Union’s base. However, you unexpectedly discover a distress signal belonging to an old friend. Determined to come to his rescue, you will travel to the farthest reaches of the solar system to find him. During your journey you will unveil Volgravia's darkest secrets and confront the unstoppable Red Matter.

Red Matter 2 introduces new mechanics to expand the existing gameplay into the adventure genre. Not only will you face brand new and challenging puzzles, but thanks to a new jetpack you will be able to traverse the game’s environments more freely than ever before through platforming sections. A new tool has been added to the classic loadout that will enable you to hack terminals, as well as a (projectile) weapon that will prove useful in various environmental puzzles and come well in handy when dealing with certain ‘surprises’ that you’re sure to face during your adventures.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

At Vertical Robot we believe that immersion is key. To increase the feeling of immersion, Red Matter 2 runs a heavily modified version of Unreal Engine. These are just some of the features we have implemented for Meta Quest 2 to enhance the graphics and sense of presence. Red Matter 2 launches on August 18, 2022 on Meta Quest 2, Rift and Steam.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Looks really great. That metahuman models really puts the game on par if not better than the best looking PSVR titles, graphically speaking

nkarafo

The one thing that annoys me about these games is the trademark chatty woman on the radio.

Most games that use this trope would be 500% better if they were just silent.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Will get this. Looks great. Loved the first one.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Red Matter 2 reviewed on PC and Meta Quest 2 by Henry Stockdale.

Red Matter 2 is an impressive sequel that builds upon its predecessor well, pushing the Meta Quest 2 to its limits to nearly match the PC version’s graphics. With its intuitive control system, excellent object interaction, and some great UI design, this adventure is one of VR’s most polished games yet. It’s unfortunate that combat doesn’t quite hit the mark but there’s some delightfully tactile puzzles to sustain the six-hour story. It all leads to a curious mystery which is satisfying, if not entirely mind-blowing. Of course, the journey is more important than the destination, and Red Matter 2 takes us to some fantastic places.

Last edited:

Darak

I just played through it. It is probably the best Quest game visually, and is much bigger compared to the first one. In fact, in my opinion, the game is overly ambitious and it would have been a better game if they just focused on puzzles and narrative. Stealth, combat and platforming are frequent and poorly implemented, and many puzzles are variations of very tired tropes such as pipe grids or matching signals with knobs (and they are not even good or inspired variations of those). I also think the game would have been better without the constant and annoying radio chat, and especially with a silent protagonist. There are enough pick-ups and environmental storytelling to figure out everything, and in fact the game forces you to explore those in order to solve some puzzles.

Despite those flaws, I had fun, mostly due to the visual spectacle and great environments. I hope they sell enough to do a third game and I wish they go for a more focused or polished experience.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm going to get this. Just don't have much time to play games these days. Absolutely loved the first one.

Top Bottom