• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption II |OT| Who knew horse testicles had such a crunch?

MMaRsu

Banned
The controls really are fine, but I doubt most people know that they can switch to STANDARD FPS controls in the control menu. That alleviates most of the issues.

GymWolf

The controls really are fine, but I doubt most people know that they can switch to STANDARD FPS controls in the control menu. That alleviates most of the issues.
Having the run on L3 is better than run on X, but you still have to tap X like a mad man for the max velocity, that shit was hilarious...even more when you are on the horse.
And that is not the only problem with the controls in this game...

There is a reason why only rockstar has auto-aim as a default in a fucking open world tps, because they know how shitty their aim (and cover) system is, yes even with the trick where you put dead zone to the min and another thing to the max, it doesn't change almost anything, i usually play almost every tps at max level of difficulty but i can't play rdr2 with manual aim even with his retarded human enemies.

You literally have guides and articles on how to make the controls less cumbersome, where the fuck have you seen something similar for a game with 97 of metacritic??

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Really? I had no trouble with the free aim, although Ive been using that for every rockstar game out there that has the option.

Yeah you have to tap x for the horse, but that really doesnt bother me.

Woggleman

The game has room for improvement but I genuinely love it and to me it is a 9/10 game. Why is it so hard to believe that some people genuinely love it. It is divisive but just as many people love it as hate it and it is one of the best games ever to many people. The controls are typical for a Rockstar game and if you are used to playing them than it is no big deal. Maybe it can be improved but the last thing I want them to do is make their games some ultra arcadey experience. They already somewhat did that with GTAV and to me it is worse off for it. There are enough arcadey open worlds out there so why can't those of us who want a realistic and immersive kind of game have our happiness? To me and many others this is fun.

Holgren

I'm having a blast with this game and have no problem whatsoever with the controls. I'm at Rhodes right now, but advancing very slowly since I enjoy hunting a lot and the different things I find throughout the world (Had a fun time watching the show at Saint Denis's Cinema). One thing I disliked was the long travel to get to the Trapper, but I found another one at Saint Denis so problem solved. I certainly like how there are no shortcuts since many of the interesting things that have happened to me in game that are not related to the story happened in those moments.

I don't know if you guys are playing without the aim assistance (the option that is default in consoles for aiming), but I have no issues with it be it on the ground or horseback. I consistently headshot enemies in horse persecutions and have only used Dead Eye for hunting. You just have to tilt the stick towards where the enemies head and most of the time you get the headshot. It is way too easy in fact, so if you guys are having issues with the autoaim assist all I can say is git gud fellas.

The controls were muddy for the initial snow area, but after that they are joy to control IMO. This is especially true after coming off The Witcher 3, now that game controls like shiiiiiiit.

D3SCHA1N

Really? I had no trouble with the free aim, although Ive been using that for every rockstar game out there that has the option.

Yeah you have to tap x for the horse, but that really doesnt bother me.

Me either. There is a reason max speed movement requires constant input, because players are not expected to be constantly moving at that speed. The horses have far more nuanced control and variance in their movement speeds than any other game and so you need multiple types of input to account for that. There is a reason RDR2 is the first game to ecipse RDR1's horseback control, no other game I've played has even come close. The Witcher 3 might be the closest anyone else has come but RDR1's on horse control is far better, let alone RDR2.

There are honestly very few instances in the game outside of combat encounters where bursting into a full on sprint is even necessary, it's just that most players by default are spastic and out of habit or conditioning believe they have to get to or do the next thing in the least amount of time possible and this is a game where players are encouraged to slow down and soak in the experience of it all.

Holgren

As a person who enjoyed the simulation aspects such as shaving, eating stuff to keep weight and talking with the band at camp:

Getting sick of tuberculosis is a real punch in the gut. Seeing Arthur's deteriorating aspect, the look in his eyes, the unfillable cores and how different your partners treat you (whats left of them) is sad man. I haven't even finished the game and I know the end is going to be a tear jerker. :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom