• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption II |OT| Who knew horse testicles had such a crunch?

cormack12

Gold Member
Has anyone else played most of their 2nd playthrough in Chapter 2?
I'm doing as much side content as soon as possible. I've completed most hunting outfits except for the ones requiring animals from New Austin. I completed all the Legendary Fish, sans New Austin areas, Dinosaur Bones as well except New Austin. All rock carvings complete, Dreamcatchers are next.

I'm on first playthrough. I have the dinosaur bones quest. How do I find them? And how do I fish/create legendary outfits. Do I need to advance the story?

I'm on first playthrough. I have the dinosaur bones quest. How do I find them? And how do I fish/create legendary outfits. Do I need to advance the story?
Use a guide for collecting stuff, sorry.
No need to do it for the story it's purely side content.
The legendary animals once hunted(and animals in general) can be brought to trappers specifically to create clothing and outfits.

These sorts of games need a radar for collectibles like BotW had. Then it becomes feasible to actually find collectibles without a guide.

B-cell

Neo Member
Any words on when PC version will get announced?? it is rumored to be release in 2019.

I really want it on PC.

ruvikx

Banned
I finally got round to playing this today. I loved Red Dead Redemption... & this is so far a huge freaking question mark. I finished the (overlong) tutorial-esque chapter 1 & so far, it's sub-par cr*p. I'm essentially an errand boy for a group of assholes who send me from one marker to another on the mini-map whilst the game pressures me into permanelty looking at the map itself, reading some text on the top left of the screen & never letting the gameplay breath. For example the game introduced me to looting bodies & cupboards... & then I get hassled into "hurrying-up" by the gang & I'm forced to somewhat overlook all the lootable bodies around me because "muh narrative dissonance" cannot have Arthur loot whilst the plot wants the gang to hurry the f-up. The controls are also clunky as hell & totally counter intuitive (Lenny getting in my way on the train was bullshit).

I'm just happy I turned off auto-aim (it would be beyond boring otherwise) & I also hope it'll now come to life in Chapter 2. The locations do look nice though.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
This game borders on genius to ridiculous. I'm still only in chapter 2.

I don't understand death - people were talking about losing items and horses? I haven't lost anything ever. I just wake up a little way away?
There should be an auto-greet whilst in cinematic camera
People react way too quickly - I accidentally got on someones horse. Didn't move but before I'd even had time to unsaddle he started shooting at me!
When moseying round, how do you guys deal with being set on by multiple bounty hunters? I dunno whether it's because I'm still low level but I get taken out really easily and it's difficult on open roads to scramble to cover.
I take it I'll get crafting items as I progress as I don't think I have anything to make yet
The amount of witnesses to quick dirty killings as well is insane. Feels like the M6 the amount of traffic going past!

Right. I haven't reached those parts yet but in chapter 1 I got on my horse & trotted off into the snow from the camp... & the bad weather killed it instantaneously. Then 1 minute later in exact same weather conditions, the cutscene & mission sends Arthur & his gang on horseback across the same freaking snow without any effect whatsoever.

I call bullshit on that gameplay mechanism (a cheap trick to limit the open world at that point). So far it just feels like a total step-back from Red Dead Redemption 1 in terms of fun.

cormack12

Gold Member
ruvikx ruvikx you sound similar to me. I'd be interested in your thoughts on fail states in about 4-5 hours of progression....

It's almost there though, that's what frustrating. Just some really poor decisions though in how certain events play out. Like I can;t just pass someone on the trail at a trot. I slow down and get that obnoxious 'jump to horse' prompt and then attach to the other rider and have to break free. Have to give them a massive berth to avoid it.

I don't mind the auto-aim, it fits the gameplay I think. It's also not aggressive enough to stop the flick adjustments for head shots etc. so I'm fine with that.

Horse exiting cinematic camera and coming to a stop is another frustration as well. I mean they have inertia anyway but that's another level of daft. I'm still generally liking it, not using fast travel and I think there needs to be more interactive things to do while idly riding.

Klondyke

Banned
This online mode is really barebones. After the updated prices and rewards, I've obtained everything I want from the game. Completed every mission, and mission type. What is the endgame here? I have a ton of gold bars and cash, I have the horse I want, the clothes I want, I've got every weapon I need and even customized them.

What now? Where are the players supposed to spend they're money, there is no end goal.

Even Sea Of Thieves at launch had a goal, become A Pirate legend, and as grindy as that was, it was a goal.
And It really doesn't help that Rockstar isn't saying shit about future updates or even what MIGHT be coming, it's just nothing.

Horns

On my second play though now. It's so much easier playing as a bad guy. My first game I tried to do good, but it was a chore at times.

One thing about the ending...
I disliked how the ending credits ran for 2 minutes then a cut scene then 2 minutes of credits. This went on for way too long. They should have played all the cut scenes then done the credits so I could skip them.

Nymphae

Banned
I disliked how the ending credits ran for 2 minutes then a cut scene then 2 minutes of credits. This went on for way too long. They should have played all the cut scenes then done the credits so I could skip them.

I will never complain about credit length after playing MGS4. Didn't even notice this in RDR2.

Horns

Not sure if that was a spoiler or not so I tagged it just in case.

I was never invested in MGS' story and probably skipped the credits. The way RDR2 ending
tied into RDR1 and basically left off right where the first began was perfect except I could care less about seeing the credits.
It was 1am when I finished so I was ready for bed.

Klondyke

Banned
Not sure if that was a spoiler or not so I tagged it just in case.

I was never invested in MGS' story and probably skipped the credits. The way RDR2 ending
tied into RDR1 and basically left off right where the first began was perfect except I could care less about seeing the credits.
It was 1am when I finished so I was ready for bed.
Yeah agreed, although I would have enjoyed it more like this:
Ditch John, and let us play as Sadie. It makes almost no sense storywise playing as John, after Arthurs death. Sadie kept roaming the wild-west, and John went on to live a family life.

ruvikx

Banned
ruvikx ruvikx you sound similar to me. I'd be interested in your thoughts on fail states in about 4-5 hours of progression....

Since the start of chapter II I've been playing around with the open world & gameplay mechanisms (I only did the drunkard reverend mission). First of all, the graphics (on a standard PS4) & detail are absolutely stunning & shame so many other developers. But, searching through my horse's items for a rifle, shooting a deer, then calling for my horse, skinning the deer & then placing the separate deer skin & skinned deer on the back of the horse... only to then be murdered by some roaming O'Driscoll NPC's was not my idea of a good time. On the same topic, accidentally riding over a man's dog (which I couldn't see in the dark whilst the man was fishing) & having the man pull his gun out & start shooting was also 'not fun'. In Far Cry 3 I remember checking which animal skins I needed for an upgrade, looking at the map & finding where they were before using a shotgun to blow them to pieces. In Red Dead, there's a whole list of button pushing & map traversal required for the exact same result. Is it more realistic? When I'm pressing controller buttons to achieve something, nothing ever really is.

Now, I've had many games which I didn't particularly enjoy at first & then a fell in love with (Skyrim being the most memorable), but Red Dead 2 is a difficult one which I have to force myself to continue playing. For me, it's (so far) a sort of western variant of LA Noire, i.e. spectacular in terms of graphics & animation & detail, yet lacking in terms of what I consider pure straight up fun.

ruvikx

Banned
I'll also say there's (once again) a tone issue in a Rockstar game, whereby the mood (music, setting, ambiance, character interactions) would seem more appropriate in a sort of wagon-trail "good guy" story, with the adventures of specifically stated good people being the essence of the narrative. But what we get here is a group of literal murderous assholes... with soft melody music accompanying their voyage & a morality system in which being a good guy is very, very difficult... simply because the NPC's are so twitchy & make playing as a good guy very punishing.

GenericUser

NEW Update, lets see if they fixed the HDR or if they are just greedy assholes that spend all their time making the already pointless MP an even bigger cashgrab.

Edit: according to the changelog, just minor MP changes. Have fun.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
NEW Update, lets see if they fixed the HDR or if they are just greedy assholes that spend all their time making the already pointless MP an even bigger cashgrab.
Probably just fixes harmless stuff like the horse fence money glitch.

Horns

Ditch John, and let us play as Sadie. It makes almost no sense storywise playing as John, after Arthurs death. Sadie kept roaming the wild-west, and John went on to live a family life.

Sadie was an amazing character. She would work well as a female playable character. I really hope DLC touches on her and Charles after their story ends. I am also very interested to see if they can explain more of others in the gang and what they were doing. What happened to Karen? What were Dutch, Bill and Javier up to between the end of Chapter 6 and RDR1?

Dacon

Banned
So I'm replaying the game, and in Chapter 2 I run into the fortune teller a 2nd time and he says this:
Be warned sir. Be warned. Surrounded by fields of fire and burning flesh the Devil will make his sacrifice.

What event do you think he's referencing?

So I'm replaying the game, and in Chapter 2 I run into the fortune teller a 2nd time and he says this:
Be warned sir. Be warned. Surrounded by fields of fire and burning flesh the Devil will make his sacrifice.

What event do you think he's referencing?
Plantation

MC Safety

It makes perfect sense if you think about the game's title and Arthur's tale.

I really like the game, but it's far too difficult to locate objects and interact with them. I'm talking about sorting through items that are close together and finding the right point, physically, to be allowed to pick something up or open it or such.

Horns

I really like the game, but it's far too difficult to locate objects and interact with them. I'm talking about sorting through items that are close together and finding the right point, physically, to be allowed to pick something up or open it or such.

Useful tips you may already know. Use the hunting vision (click both sticks down) to locate objects you can interact with. Hold square/X to pick multiple objects nearby. No need to pick up each individually. Press RB to sort through multiple objects if there are a few where you are. There will be dots for each item you can sort through in the lower right.

MC Safety

Useful tips you may already know. Use the hunting vision (click both sticks down) to locate objects you can interact with. Hold square/X to pick multiple objects nearby. No need to pick up each individually. Press RB to sort through multiple objects if there are a few where you are. There will be dots for each item you can sort through in the lower right.

Thanks for this. The hunting vision is useful for sure. I'm not sure I've tried the other tricks.

Is there some sorcery to allow me to immediately navigate to a spot to loot a chest or something? I'm not exaggerating when suggesting I may have spent an entire minute of my life fotzing around trying to get my cowboy in position to grab and open a box.

Thanks for this. The hunting vision is useful for sure. I'm not sure I've tried the other tricks.

Is there some sorcery to allow me to immediately navigate to a spot to loot a chest or something? I'm not exaggerating when suggesting I may have spent an entire minute of my life fotzing around trying to get my cowboy in position to grab and open a box.
Some are just stupidly positioned and would require a lot of positioning. You could try going first person since controls are apparently more responsive but you'll still need to hit that sweet spot to loot. Most aren't worth looting anyway.

Horns

Occasionally happens to me as well. Like Author's tent when you're left items and you have to pick them up. Takes way too long to get into the right spot.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Some of these stranger missions are fantastic, especially the collectible ones. I completed the "Rock Carvings" last night, and what an adventure. Some of the vistas you get to expereince are truly breath taking, and that draw distance is amazing.

The twist at the end was super cool!

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Occasionally happens to me as well. Like Author's tent when you're left items and you have to pick them up. Takes way too long to get into the right spot.

Try going to the bed in the Valentine hotel. They put a drawer right next to the 1"x1" space you have to stand in to activate the sleep prompt, I spent so much time walking just a hair to try and get the prompt, only to have it disappear when I went to actually hold triangle to activate it. There should really be a way to focus on prompts with a lock on or something, so you can toggle between nearby items that are too close to eachother. It's maddening just trying to pick your hat up near a bunch of other items sometimes.

Last edited:

Horns

Try going to the bed in the Valentine hotel. They put a drawer right next to the 1"x1" space you have to stand in to activate the sleep prompt, I spent so much time walking just a hair to try and get the prompt, only to have it disappear when I went to actually hold triangle to activate it. There should really be a way to focus on prompts with a lock on or something, so you can toggle between nearby items that are too close to eachother. It's maddening just trying to pick your hat up near a bunch of other items sometimes.

Try to use RB to cycle through them. When there are multiple things you can interact with in the same position you can cycle through them.

GenericUser

Quick question for the pros here:

I'm thinking about restarting the game and do the side activities. Just because I don't like playing as John, I prefer Arthur. What would be the best chapter/mission to stop progressing with the story, arthur still being healthy and all game mechanics unlocked?

I'm like two missions from completing Chapter 2 on my second playthrough.
I haven't rescued Venom Shit man from Strawberry yet. The game did however give me the offhand holster early, basically everything
(that can actually be done by Arthur)
can be done in chapter 2 except for stranger missions that only unlock later.
You can finish the
Bone Collection outside of New Austin, Rock Carvings, Dreamcatchers, Cards, Legendary Animals and Fish outside of New Austin, Treasure Maps(there are only 4 or so, one is random event but it CAN be done in Chapter 2 if lucky), etc.
Basically anything that isn't locked to post-game is completable very early on once you unlock Fishing. I have most weapons in the game, two holsters early, working through Challenges to complete my Health/Energy/Dead Eye rings. I also visited the trapper a LOT and have all outfits except post game one's complete.

If you're wondering where to start though, begin with the Satchels. Having the Legend of the East Satchel as early as possible makes life so much easier.

Last edited:

I'm thinking about restarting the game and do the side activities. Just because I don't like playing as John, I prefer Arthur. What would be the best chapter/mission to stop progressing with the story, arthur still being healthy and all game mechanics unlocked?

Personally I've decided that I am going to keep a game save near the start of each chapter that I can jump to if I want to. That said, I think I am going to stay in Chapter 2 until I have completed as much of the various challenges as I can. I really want to do more hunting and such. I didn't craft any of the satchels or try to complete any specific challenges in my first playthrough.

Horns

Finished my first play through on PS4 being good. Almost at Chapter 3 on Xbox playing as a bad guy. It is sooo much easier to play when the moral system doesn't matter.

Nymphae

Banned

Maybe I'm just tired, but when I scrolled down I thought this was EviLore EviLore at first until I saw the moustache

jpg

Mexi-Malka

GenericUser

I'm like two missions from completing Chapter 2 on my second playthrough.
I haven't rescued Venom Shit man from Strawberry yet. The game did however give me the offhand holster early, basically everything
(that can actually be done by Arthur)
can be done in chapter 2 except for stranger missions that only unlock later.
You can finish the
Bone Collection outside of New Austin, Rock Carvings, Dreamcatchers, Cards, Legendary Animals and Fish outside of New Austin, Treasure Maps(there are only 4 or so, one is random event but it CAN be done in Chapter 2 if lucky), etc.
Basically anything that isn't locked to post-game is completable very early on once you unlock Fishing. I have most weapons in the game, two holsters early, working through Challenges to complete my Health/Energy/Dead Eye rings. I also visited the trapper a LOT and have all outfits except post game one's complete.

If you're wondering where to start though, begin with the Satchels. Having the Legend of the East Satchel as early as possible makes life so much easier.
thanks, so chapter 2 it is then. Good stuff, I don't have to endure most of the boring main missions then.

thanks, so chapter 2 it is then. Good stuff, I don't have to endure most of the boring main missions then.
I hit one snag in my Chapter 2 completion run.
The rest of the plants required for Herbalist Challenge #9 are in New Austin. This is the only challenge that can't actually be completed in Chapter 2 by Arthur that I'm aware of.

Maor22

Neo Member
Finished the game and after thinking about RDR1 there are still two things i don't understand:
1. Why after everything that's happened, Dutch teamed up with Micah again in 1907? Was it just for the money from Blackwater that he also left behind?
2. What led to Dutch starting a new gang with those native Americans and shooting innocenct again?After RDR2's epilogue he doesn't seem insane anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Why does everyone who’s replaying the game do everything in Chapter 2? Is there a specific reason?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Put me in the camp that is 100% in favor of them re-releasing the original RDR using the RDR2 map. They would probably have to retcon a few things, but most of the assets are already available and it's something I'd pay $40 for in a heartbeat.

Sadie Adler DLC isn't a bad idea either, but yeah

Unfortunately since Rockstar screwed us out of GTAV DLC I am less optimistic.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Why does everyone who’s replaying the game do everything in Chapter 2? Is there a specific reason?
That's when the entire map opens up and almost everything is available to you.

I made the mistake of trying to do all that in my ASAP in my first playthrough as hunting and fishing became much easier after the game has sidequests explaining them to you.

Horns

Chapter 2 and 3 open up and give you the side missions is my guess. On chapter 3 in my first replay and I am finding lots of stuff I missed in my first play through.

Golgo 13

That's when the entire map opens up and almost everything is available to you.

I made the mistake of trying to do all that in my ASAP in my first playthrough as hunting and fishing became much easier after the game has sidequests explaining them to you.

Chapter 2 and 3 open up and give you the side missions is my guess. On chapter 3 in my first replay and I am finding lots of stuff I missed in my first play through.

So generally speaking you can complete pretty much all the side quests in the game at chapter 2? That doesn’t sound right

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So generally speaking you can complete pretty much all the side quests in the game at chapter 2? That doesn’t sound right
No. Not even close. You can complete all challenges and get most upgrades. Not the Stranger missions as many of them don't appear until later.

Golgo 13

No. Not even close. You can complete all challenges and get most upgrades. Not the Stranger missions as many of them don't appear until later.
Got it. Ok, that makes much more sense.

Seriously considering a second play through, I’m currently playing RDR1, it’s pretty interesting basically continuing the story left off in RDR2. The X1 4K update doesn’t hurt.

Horns

Not all of them, but all the side content like collectibles, hunting, and compendium stuff becomes available. Some stranger missions and random encounters are not available until later. Chapter 2 also gives a bunch of missions which show you how to do stuff or open up abilities. It's a lot to take in.

Top Bottom