• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption II |OT| Who knew horse testicles had such a crunch?

Inuteu

trying to get the legendary bullgator

its supose to pop after the chapter 4 mission related

but nothing so far

its bugged?

cormack12

Gold Member
Been actually playing through this the last couple of days after getting some time. Got to say the lighting and general environment is jaw dropping. I actually don't mind the deliberate pace - the only thing that is irritating is the long horse rides even on cinematic.

Do I need to equip improved arrows or are they used by default? Do the requirements for a clean kill exist explicitly - like if the clean kill is use a bow and an improved arrow, do I still have to get a headshot?

anyone knows how to fix the newspaperboy bug? i cant buy any newspapers.
There are only 14 newspapers. Technically there's 42 but each paper has 3 variants and getting one locks the other 2 out. Each version has the same stories but they change the name of the paper based on where you bought it. Once you have all the papers available the paper boy will stop interacting with you and sometimes he'll disappear entirely despite the map marker showing up when you're far away. If you want to keep him there for a more complete looking town, don't buy every paper.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Do I need to equip improved arrows or are they used by default? Do the requirements for a clean kill exist explicitly - like if the clean kill is use a bow and an improved arrow, do I still have to get a headshot?

You need to equip them from the radial menu, with the dpad. Not sure about clean kills, headshots are the surest way though I've found. An improved arrow does not guarantee a perfect pelt.

cormack12

Gold Member
You need to equip them from the radial menu, with the dpad. Not sure about clean kills, headshots are the surest way though I've found. An improved arrow does not guarantee a perfect pelt.

Thanks, I'll have a little play round with that legendary bear tonight :)

Do the requirements for a clean kill exist explicitly - like if the clean kill is use a bow and an improved arrow, do I still have to get a headshot?

Yes, you still need a critical shot for most. From my own experience the exception are varmint rifles and small game which don't require critical shots to get the best pelts. Except for snakes, those actually do need headshots but they're probably the easiest small game to hunt. Incidentally now that R* has patched it so that crafted saddles do give the equivalent of stirrups bonus they're now the better than bought saddles and the saddle crafted from snake skins is arguably the best.

Also the tooltips aren't always right about what weapon to use. Snapping turtles state that you should use small game arrows, that's wrong and you actually need regular arrows.
And don't ever, ever listen to tooltips for legendary animals. As Nymphae said you can't damage their pelts and that legendary bear is just going to laugh at your improved arrows. Reminds me of what happened to me last night in RDO, I pumped 7 repeater rounds into a regular grizzly and it just kept charging. Thankfully there's not much penalty for dying in online.

Last edited:
I have no idea what you are trying to ask with that question.

Well the online world of RDO is somewhat lacking in depth in terms of a living breathing world RDR2 single player had, particularly in the towns and city......

So I was wondering if the more powerful machines like PS4 Pro and Xbox X versions of RDO were much closer to the single player experience?

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Well the online world of RDO is somewhat lacking in depth in terms of a living breathing world RDR2 single player had, particularly in the towns and city......

So I was wondering if the more powerful machines like PS4 Pro and Xbox X versions of RDO were much closer to the single player experience?

I can't imagine that anything at all would change outside of some minor graphical enhancements that you get with upgraded machines. The world feels lifeless because there is simply less dynamic stuff happening with NPCs and random stranger mission type stuff, essentially no NPCs to interact with really kills the vibe.

Last edited:
I can't imagine that anything at all would change outside of some minor graphical enhancements that you get with upgraded machines. The world feels lifeless because there is simply less dynamic stuff happening with NPCs and random stranger mission type stuff, essentially no NPCs to interact with really kills the vibe.

Well hopefully someone will chip in on this who has experienced RDO on one of those machines.

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
Does there come a point of no return in chapter 6?

I've kind of negelcted going after any of the legendary animals and just doing random crap. The story has me pushing forward but I don't want to miss out on this other stuff. Doubt I'll be replaying this anytime soon.

If I can keep playing after the
epilogue(s?)
I'd much rather do that.

Zimmy68

Chapter 2 I have to steal a oil wagon, best approach?
Do a search on it. You can make it as easy or hard as you want.
It took me a couple of tries.
I basically went to the back of the factory, waited until most guards were looking away, hopped on and drove away like hell.
They will chase you but you should be able to fight them off.
As with most Rockstar games, put in a waypoint when you get on the oil wagon to the destination because once they start attacking you, the mission waypoint gets removed.
To do it easy, you can either ignore it or wait until nighttime.
I think if you ignore it, Marston will already have done it.

Last edited:

Klondyke

Banned
There is no difference in the NPC count or animal count, if you are playing with the X/Pro versus base consoles.
That's just silly, imagine if you are playing with a PRO, and your friend with a base ps4, that would mean that you two aren't seeing the same stuff on screen. That just doesn't work.

There is no difference in the NPC count or animal count, if you are playing with the X/Pro versus base consoles.
That's just silly, imagine if you are playing with a PRO, and your friend with a base ps4, that would mean that you two aren't seeing the same stuff on screen. That just doesn't work.

No need to say it's silly or lol at my question just wanted to know. Thanks. :messenger_ok:

Klondyke

Banned
No need to say it's silly or lol at my question just wanted to know. Thanks. :messenger_ok:
Yeah, sorry about that, peace! the common rule is that in online games, there needs to be a certain level of parity between "platforms", just so the game can function as intended for everyone.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Do a search on it. You can make it as easy or hard as you want.
It took me a couple of tries.
I basically went to the back of the factory, waited until most guards were looking away, hopped on and drove away like hell.
They will chase you but you should be able to fight them off.
As with most Rockstar games, put in a waypoint when you get on the oil wagon to the destination because once they start attacking you, the mission waypoint gets removed.
To do it easy, you can either ignore it or wait until nighttime.
I think if you ignore it, Marston will already have done it.
Martson will eventually do it. I was doing side quests, eventually that quest marker disappeared and Marston told me he'd gotten the oil wagon.

When I did the oil wagon mission it was leaking all over the place but I still passed. Though saying that for most of the missions I only got a bronze. :messenger_hushed:

Klondyke

Banned
about online, I really hated it for the first couple of hours, but I'm slowly starting to get into it. @ level 22 right now, with 4 gold bars, and 1500 cash.

I wish the survival elements of the game were more of a thing in multiplayer, and that players would not see each other on the map, that would add so much the sense of "discovery" when running into a other player. But there are some design issues I can't really understand, why the hell won't players receive a bounty on their head, if they constantly kill other players? It just feels like a complete blunder given the setting, but i guess it will be there for the actual launch.

Also, I'm enjoying the story missions, which are basically single player missions in co-op, but they are so fun with a friend, so i hope they really add a ton of these missions.

My hopes and dreams going forward:
- A shit ton of missions
- Passive mode
- Legendary animals, or some kind of hunting missions
- The ability to buy a homestead, which could provide missions, and steady income (farming or something)
- More weather effects, deadly blizzards, wildfires etc.
- A Battle-royale mode, with added wildlife, and survival elements. One game could take "days" you need to sleep, eat, out-survive the other players. A more tactical BR, like if you need to craft something you will need a fire, start a fire and everyone can see where the smoke is coming from, or you could even start a fire as a ambush. Possibilities are there.
- Gold flushing (Is that the right term?)
- bank/train robberies
- Duels
- Add Mexico, since it is already basically done in the game (This will happen, either in single player DLC, or multiplayer, or even both)
- TRAPS, for animals and humans alike

Sorry if this reads as rambling, I'm writing this between load-times and I am high as hell.

Do we have a GAF posse?

Last edited:

929rcurh47021.jpg

Red-Dead-Online-Beta-Week-1-Update

As an added thank you for playing and helping us through the beta period, we're also awarding everyone that joined in to play the Red Dead Online Beta at any point through midnight PST today with a gift of RDO$250 and 15 Gold Bars. Gifts should start arriving today and will hit all eligible players by Friday, December 14th.

giphy.gif

Catalogue Changes: Mauser Pistol: $1,000 -> $600 (40% OFF) Semi-Auto Shotgun: $900 -> $540 (40% OFF) Semi-Automatic Pistol: $895 -> $537 (40% OFF) All weapons prices were reduced to 40% of their original prices.

Last edited:
As a reminder to anyone wanting to do "better" in missions, you can always go back and replay any of the main story missions later. That is, you don't have to immediately "replay" the mission again just to chase that gold completion trophy. Not sure everyone know that.

cormack12

Gold Member
This game borders on genius to ridiculous. I'm still only in chapter 2.

I don't understand death - people were talking about losing items and horses? I haven't lost anything ever. I just wake up a little way away?
There should be an auto-greet whilst in cinematic camera
People react way too quickly - I accidentally got on someones horse. Didn't move but before I'd even had time to unsaddle he started shooting at me!
When moseying round, how do you guys deal with being set on by multiple bounty hunters? I dunno whether it's because I'm still low level but I get taken out really easily and it's difficult on open roads to scramble to cover.
I take it I'll get crafting items as I progress as I don't think I have anything to make yet
The amount of witnesses to quick dirty killings as well is insane. Feels like the M6 the amount of traffic going past!

Last edited:

MDSLKTR

I am too emotionally exhausted after the final chapter. Now I've read there's epilogues that will take a couple hours to complete... Funny thing is, I felt the exact same after RDR1 and watched the final ending on yt because I lost the connection to the character. I will force myself this time because the game is this generation masterpiece but disappointed I will rush trough it.

amigastar

I've rented a PS4 Pro just for this game, but i didn't finish it. I hope it comes out on PC then i will finish it. Idk it just didn't feel as good on console with auto aim and clunky aiming with the stick. M&K all the way.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Chapter 2 I have to steal a oil wagon, best approach?

Run in, hop on, and take the fuck off like a bat out of hell. Just be careful, their bullets can cause the tanker to leak when shot. If so, then die, reload checkpoint, and you will be on the carriage still but the enemies will not be around, and the tanker will not have holes in it.

Edit: Saw that Marston will finally get his lazy butt going and do it. Good to know.

Last edited:
Has anyone else played most of their 2nd playthrough in Chapter 2?
I'm doing as much side content as soon as possible. I've completed most hunting outfits except for the ones requiring animals from New Austin. I completed all the Legendary Fish, sans New Austin areas, Dinosaur Bones as well except New Austin. All rock carvings complete, Dreamcatchers are next.

Top Bottom