• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption II |OT| Who knew horse testicles had such a crunch?

ok what the fuck am I missing here. I can't aim my gun. on the controls list its saying L2 to aim. Yet on the game it says R2 to aim, but whenever I hit R2 it just shoots automatically. Whenever I try to press L2 NOTHING HAPPENS. at my wits end with this shitty game. I know I'm stupid but I'm not this dumb. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!?

Thank you in advance.

Stuart360

So is online an auto-aim fest like in GTA Online?
I haven't played online, but i did watch someone stream it for a couople of hours, and yes it is. People throwing Tomohawks accross the map and hitting people, people hip firing revolvers are killing people 100 feet away. It seemed a pointless mess to be honest.

So I fired the game up for the first time in a while to check out the update in single player and something about it appears to look different like the lighting is slightly less hazy or something, I'm not sure. On xbo X one x.

Further it looks like the cloud system has been modified because up until now clouds would form and dissipate and others form in their place in a matter of seconds throughout my gametime (something I found very unrealistic and dissapointing) but I just got done watching the clouds move over Annesburg while keeping their shape which I hadn't seen up to this point.

Besides that, and I'm hesitant to say this, but it feels like the controls and animations have seen a slight bump in snappiness. I felt it immediately when I took control of Arthur and began jumping around and trying different things I felt were a slog before but now feel pretty okay..??

I dunno maybe I'm just tired and this is all placebo but it seemed like he was reacting to my inputs much faster and beginning animations right when I'd activate them. Jumping and climbing seems better, something about the horse controls feels tuned also, like they lowered the turning speed... Mind you this is from playing for only ten minutes....

Anybody else seeing this? Maybe I should take my crazy pills.

*edit - I'm sure of it now. Gunfights feel better. Interacting with the horse is much faster. Swapping weapons and brushing happen much quicker. General movement feels snappier.

Also it appears that you always exit the horse with your previously selected loadout!

Last edited:

CyRuZ

Banned
Has anyone tried the gta5 ps4 mtu glitch to get an empty Lobby and does it still work? Fuck Rockstar and their griever friendly crap. Just wanna play casually with friends without being worried someone wait around the corner to blow you up with some dynamite.

TimFL

ok what the fuck am I missing here. I can't aim my gun. on the controls list its saying L2 to aim. Yet on the game it says R2 to aim, but whenever I hit R2 it just shoots automatically. Whenever I try to press L2 NOTHING HAPPENS. at my wits end with this shitty game. I know I'm stupid but I'm not this dumb. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!?

Thank you in advance.
You hold L2 and then press R2 once to unholster your gun. Be sure to not hold R2 or you fire your weapon automatically.

Geki-D

Banned
I haven't played online, but i did watch someone stream it for a couople of hours, and yes it is. People throwing Tomohawks accross the map and hitting people, people hip firing revolvers are killing people 100 feet away. It seemed a pointless mess to be honest.
Yeah, I'm not surprised. Think I'll pass on the online part. I don't know why but Rockstar always ruin their games with auto aim. I don't mind aim assist but full on lock-on is totally unacceptable.

Last edited:

Thank you in advance.
"R2 to Aim" is just an NPC interaction...

So, it's different than combat. It's a weapon sheathed NPC interaction, e.g. if you use L2 to select an NPC, you gets options to buy, sell, talk, etc -- or to Aim (R2).

If you're not interacting with a NPC, then R2 will always* be to attack.

(*though technically if you press it briefly enough, you can quick draw but not fire).

GenericUser

Quick Question towards the people that finished the game:

Is chapter 6 the last chapter?

I honestly have to admit, that I'm more or less bored now with the game and I want it to end, to play something else. It's a technical marvel, but I think the gameplay design is not the best and I somehow outgrew rockstars' edgyness. Cool game, but I've had my share with it.

Last edited:

TimFL

Quick Question towards the people that finished the game:

Is chapter 6 the last chapter?

I honestly have to admit, that I'm more or less bored now with the game and I want it to end, to play something else. It's a technical marvel, but I think the gameplay design is not the best and I somehow outgrew rockstars' edgyness. Cool game, but I've had my share with it.
Ch6 is kind of the end of one story arc. After it you get 2 more, shorter chapters (epilogue 1 and 2).

Mista

Banned
Auto-aim must be automatically off in Online. No skill at all in just pressing to buttons! Also your online progress may not be permanent when it’s officially released..

hecatomb

Banned
I find it best to test online games for myself, the streams I watched are all bad. Like streamers just running out in the open the whole time like chickens with their heads cut off.

Freeman76

The online is really good so far. The map is so huge its easy enough to avoid other players if you need to. Its kinda cool stacking up a load of pelts to sell and then making sure no wankers are in the town before you go to sell it all. The 425 challenges give you things to aim at in nearly every aspect of the game as well. Impressed so far, although I hate griefers so if it turns out there are easy ways for people to ruin my fun that could change.

TrainedRage

Banned
What time did the online go up for the non collectors edition? I know it's today but I tried before work at 7 and it said coming soon. Are day one people playing online now?

The online is really good so far. The map is so huge its easy enough to avoid other players if you need to. Its kinda cool stacking up a load of pelts to sell and then making sure no wankers are in the town before you go to sell it all. The 425 challenges give you things to aim at in nearly every aspect of the game as well. Impressed so far, although I hate griefers so if it turns out there are easy ways for people to ruin my fun that could change.

I tend to shy away from these types of online games due to the amount of griefing that can happen. I played a little this morning but was just hanging at my camp and sure enough someone comes along and tries to lasso me. I had my flag up so he couldn't get me but he wanted to come and fuck with me.

I just pretended to go and cook and waited for a bit then checked my map and noticed he was still hanging around just be low a ridge near my camp. I tried to sneak up on him with my rifle but auto aim either has some kind of range limit or something because I couldn't get my sights on him for the life of me. He ended up lassoing me and slowly loads me up on his horse.

The whole time he was tying me up and loading me on the horse I was tapping O to break free though and got free just after being stowed and managed to get free and shoot the bastard. He got on his horse and rode off before I could finish him but he must have bled out or something because I found a body and his horse running off a little after chasing him down. I didn't get any credit for a kill or anyrthing and couldn't loot the corpse but it was an experience. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

zwiggelbig

I dont get why you see everyone on the map and everyone can see where u are.. whats the fun in that

I got on for an hour while the baby was asleep (we got home today) and I haven’t seen anyone yet. Seems very basic character customization tho.

lefty1117

Gold Member
The online is pretty fun and looks to be a solid structure upon which to build. The only part I don't like about it is the free kill anywhere stuff. let people opt in or out on that. Nothing more aggravating than being at the end of a lengthy mission or task and getting needlessly killed by a bored player. Hopefully they are or will be some controls for limiting who can be in your session, or a way to opt-in to "friendly fire off".

They removed elite horses in SP ….or you checked RDROnline?
They weren't removed they just patched out an exploit that made horses spawn in Saint Denis. That place even used to spawn unobtainable horses such as Uncle's and Sadie's. You can still get any horse normally.

lefty1117

Gold Member
I got on for an hour while the baby was asleep (we got home today) and I haven’t seen anyone yet. Seems very basic character customization tho.

On the character customization, once I realized that you can press Y to customize each area (like eye width, lip shape, etc) then it does become a bit deeper and you can get closer to the look you want.

I ended up choosing that point. It included one extra mission (Blessed Are the Peacemakers) that I didn't think would trigger, but that's where I end up choosing. Been free roaming there since my last reply and I think it's a pretty great point to 'infinitely' free roam at. I'll probably rotate between the post-credits Epilogue and there, at least until RD Online, but for now I think it's my favorite point (story-wise) to stop and free roam at.

Posted earlier that I thought this was a near perfect point except for Molly disappearing bug due to an earlier mission. New patch fixed this and she's back. This is the most complete that the camp will ever be.

Nymphae

Banned
Anyone else think that the rain looks a little...phony? Like it's really thick and chunky. The weather effects and scenery have generally been blowing my mind across the board, but this stands out to me. It does look cool that when you go into hunting dead eye mode or whatever it's called (and presumably the dead eye as well) the individual rain drops slow down with everything and you can rotate the camera and see them all individually.

Anyone else think that the rain looks a little...phony? Like it's really thick and chunky. The weather effects and scenery have generally been blowing my mind across the board, but this stands out to me. It does look cool that when you go into hunting dead eye mode or whatever it's called (and presumably the dead eye as well) the individual rain drops slow down with everything and you can rotate the camera and see them all individually.

Yea, I've noticed this from day one. Rain effects are so weird looking I thought they were bugged. I think the biggest problem is most surfaces have a lazy damp look to them at best and no like streaming rain effect. Also there is no splashes on most objects or environment! Only the flat-ish ground areas that have the rain puddles on them have splash effects. Everything else looks like the rain just hits it and disappears which is disappointing as I wanted to see the rain drip and drain off my cowboy hat.

The other thing is the AI doesn't react to the weather at all, they just awkwardly stand outside in the middle of a monsoon without a care in the world, another knock to the immersion.

Very strange honestly that these details are missing in a game that prides itself on details.

Last edited:

Zewp

Hmm, tried Online last night. The controls are very laggy on my PS4 Pro. They were much better in SP.

I might try again over the weekend and see if I can't tweak them a bit.

TimFL

Is there no discord server to discuss the mode? I have a few questions but I feel it's not that easy to get them answered, regarding permanent posses:

- Can you just invite 7 friends to it and that's it? Or is it 7 online friends (means when someone goes offline they are removed, if so can they easily rejoin? How R* didn't use crews goes beyond me...)
- How is progress shared between users in a permanent posse? I'm logically only doing the story once, and since the story quests pop up based on the posse leaders progress no old quests would pop up for people in my posse (that just started playing online)? Can one pick who is in charge of the quest population/posse for a session?
- Can the leader of a permanent posse join a temporary posse? Picture this: 6 friends from a community are in my permanent posse and online, but I just talked to 3 work friends about the game and they want to play with me: can I host a temporary posse to play with them?
- How do quests that have 2-4 player slots work with a permanent posse that has 8 online players? Is it people nearby that join the quest? Do you get to pick?

I feel like R* dropped the ball insanely in terms of FAQs and info videos for this mode. They threw us in blind and the systems aren't even intuitively explained. A permanent posse is $200, which is a lot of IG cash. I feel like we should have a 2 minute (female narrated) video giving you a rundown of what's possible and how it works compared to temporary posses.

Zimmy68

never used the gold glitch. money is no worry in this game
True, but it helped me immensely early in the game.
I fully upgraded my camp and it removes any thought of buying items, horse upgrades, and paying bounties.
It gives you the limited fast travel option nice and early.
You really only need around $4k - $5k if I stopped and thought about it.

GenericUser

Fuck this game, my thumb already hurts from pressing x soooo much. I want it to end, this game is giving me physical pain. Just a few missions to see the credits roll, I can do this.

Edit: finished the game

Arthur is a real man, John is a cuck, abigail is an ungrateful whiny bitch

Last edited:
Is there (or is there going to be) a thread for openly discussing spoilers for RDR2 or is all discussion being left in this thread and just spoiler tagged?

that's too bad the removed the St. Denis horse spawn...

it was cheesy but it's pretty lame the game restricts so many horses (and guns) to later chapters.

I rather free roam in CH 2 or 3 but I want my Fox Trotter, striped Mustang, etc haha.

anyhow, mostly gonna play RDO now I guess so maybe doesn't matter -- tho wow is the economy in RDO shameless greed AF... even by GTAO standards, Rockstar pushing M/Ts going to a whole new level

pretty much every decent horse, much of the clothes, even fricken gun customization like changing the type of barrel steel can't be bought with cash and only uses the premium currency 'gold bars' lol

i didn't mind GTAO pricing and encouraging shark cards but at least we had the option to grind -- in RDO tho, especially as a hunter selling pelts, i'm pretty much forced to RMT gold to buy like 99% of all the horses or clothes i even found i liked haha

i spent a few hours in the stores and catalogue and other than my hunting rifle, pretty much the entire mid-game and end-game content of stuff i want all requires gold o.0

(well, except for the _only_ two fur winter coats in the game which for some insane reason require Rank 90 or so lol.... smh)

Posted earlier that I thought this was a near perfect point except for Molly disappearing bug due to an earlier mission. New patch fixed this and she's back. This is the most complete that the camp will ever be.
Yup I'm pretty happy with that point... I kept free roaming there until RDO went live.

Only other flaw I found with it is that Arthur's beard chin and chops are capped at 7/10 in Chapter 3 =/ ... my mustache reach 10/10 long ago but chin and chops just won't grow any more. Some reason they may the full 10/10 beard Chapter-restricted o.0

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Fuck this game, my thumb already hurts from pressing x soooo much. I want it to end, this game is giving me physical pain. Just a few missions to see the credits roll, I can do this.

Edit: finished the game

Arthur is a real man, John is a cuck, abigail is an ungrateful whiny bitch

john = big doof last chapters where sheit

Red Dead Online is very lifeless. How did they not bring some of RDR2 best feature into online?

I can’t even say Hey There Mister to NPC’s that ride by.

Smh

Skyr

So I‘m being matched with auto-aim players while playing free aim. Is there no way to play on free aim only servers?

Red Dead Online is very lifeless. How did they not bring some of RDR2 best feature into online?

I can’t even say Hey There Mister to NPC’s that ride by.

Smh
It is only the beta though Musky, I'd say they are off to a decent start, better than Bethesda did with a 'completed' Fallout 76. I think it'll be interesting to see how it all plays once the beta is through and its fully launched.

That being said I noticed the collision detection on my horse felt off, getting stuck in a cluster of trees like I was in an invisible barn. I had to get off my horse, call him away from the trees, hop back on and ride off.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

Thank you in advance.
Welcome to RDR2.

Top Bottom