• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 Tops 50 Million in Sales

Draugoth

Gold Member
Streamer_6_mil_horas_Red_Dead_Redemption_2_Stadia_PS5.jpg

Rockstar Games' parent company Take-Two Interactive has today revealed that Red Dead Redemption 2 has topped 50 million units sold across PlayStation, Xbox, and PC platforms. Since first launching back in 2018, Red Dead Redemption 2 has been a massive hit for Rockstar and Take-Two. And while the open-world western never reached the same obscene heights as Grand Theft Auto V, this new milestone for RDR2 has put it in very rare territory.

Announced by Take-Two today during a new financial call, Red Dead Redemption 2 was confirmed to have now shipped 50 million copies globally. Within the past quarter alone, RDR2 sold over 4 million units, which is pretty incredible given the game's age. Take-Two said that this performance within the quarter was unexpected but was led by many sales for the game that took place around the holidays.

In case you're wondering, only eight video games in history have ever been able to top 50 million copies sold. Red Dead Redemption 2 is the latest title to join this mix and is now alongside games such as Minecraft, PUBG, Tetris, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, and the aforementioned Grand Theft Auto V. It remains to be seen if RDR2 can end up climbing to the 7th spot overall, but it will have to pass Mario Kart 8 to do so, which is absolutely a tall task.

Woggleman

They are leaving money on the table by not doing a next gen update. Just import what they did for GTA V on to RDR2 and finally give it some good HDR.

Pejo

Slower burn than I'm sure Rockstar wanted to see, but that's an insane number, regardless. It's pretty much my favorite cowboy game ever made for just enjoying the world. Still preferred the story of Red Dead Redemption 1 though, John was a better lead and it was a more personal story for the main bits that fit a western better, IMO.

Madflavor

It's funny, I was actually thinking a lot about RDR2 lately. I'm thinking about playing it in April after I'm done with RE4R and Wu Long. RDR2 was such a generation defining game.

Philfrag

Banned
They should have supported the online more.
I would love to know what was going through their minds when they decided not to bother with it anymore. I know GTAV is a massive success but to me they're both very different beasts. RDO would have had its own identity and I think it could have easily got the numbers of people playing eventually with the release of new content over time. I trust they have all the numbers on their end which would have informed their decision making but to me it looked like they didn't even try to market the experience to people. My thought is that RDR2 really pushed their engine to its limits and RDO caused major complications when trying to get it to function in an online setting. I think all of their great ideas were probably bottlenecked by the technical limitations and they figured it wasn't worth the hassle and instead work on the GTAVI engine instead (as its rumoured they're really going all out with the online component this time around). I'm hoping that once the new GTA is out they eventually go back and re-release RDR2 with a remade RDR1 as part of it and maybe have a second crack at online. A fully realised RDO with it reaching its full potential is a dream game for me and many others.

Spyxos

What only 50 million, thats like nothing. Rockstar will support this game starting at 100mil. If we are lucky, we get a 60Fps patch and if we are really really lucky, we get new Rdo content.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

I would love to know what was going through their minds when they decided not to bother with it anymore. I know GTAV is a massive success but to me they're both very different beasts. RDO would have had its own identity and I think it could have easily got the numbers of people playing eventually with the release of new content over time. I trust they have all the numbers on their end which would have informed their decision making but to me it looked like they didn't even try to market the experience to people. My thought is that RDR2 really pushed their engine to its limits and RDO caused major complications when trying to get it to function in an online setting. I think all of their great ideas were probably bottlenecked by the technical limitations and they figured it wasn't worth the hassle and instead work on the GTAVI engine instead (as its rumoured they're really going all out with the online component this time around). I'm hoping that once the new GTA is out they eventually go back and re-release RDR2 with a remade RDR1 as part of it and maybe have a second crack at online. A fully realised RDO with it reaching its full potential is a dream game for me and many others.
I would argue that RDR2 generated a fraction of the revenue that GTA did. They expected a certain level of revenue from online and those expectations were not met. The business decision was to put resources on the one that generated the most revenue. Resources moved to GTA.

I am sure GTA generates a higher percentage of revenue based on money spent to create content.

Philfrag

Banned
I would argue that RDR2 generated a fraction of the revenue that GTA did. They expected a certain level of revenue from online and those expectations were not met. The business decision was to put resources on the one that generated the most revenue. Resources moved to GTA.

I am sure GTA generates a higher percentage of revenue based on money spent to create content.
You would think though that a business as large as Rockstar would be interested in diversifying their business model. RDO was its own thing and could have definitely attracted its own audience that wouldn't have originally played GTA. That's why I think something else was going on, like some internal issues or something. Even if you play RDO now, its still an amazing platform to build on. There are companies/developers out there that would dream to have that framework to work from, but Rockstar just spent all this money on this game and just left it. To me it seems weirder than just 'GTA is too big'.

Rockstar needs to stop being lazy and give us that patch. Just get rid of the ugly 4K Checkerboard mode on PS4 Pro version and give us Dynamic 4K 60fps on PS5.

AJUMP23

You would think though that a business as large as Rockstar would be interested in diversifying their business model. RDO was its own thing and could have definitely attracted its own audience that wouldn't have originally played GTA. That's why I think something else was going on, like some internal issues or something. Even if you play RDO now, its still an amazing platform to build on. There are companies/developers out there that would dream to have that framework to work from, but Rockstar just spent all this money on this game and just left it. To me it seems weirder than just 'GTA is too big'.
It depends on the margins. If the margins are not there then they want to cut the business to focus on a more profitable business with better margins.

Freeman76

Been replaying this lately, such an incredible world to relax in. I wonder if there are any secrets people still havent found at this point

I love Red Dead Redemption 2 but it is disappointing that Rockstar showed no love for the current gen consoles by releasing a 60 fps patch for the game. The cynic in me says that because they will just sell it as an enhanced "remaster" at some point like they have with GTA V (3 or is it 4 times now?). The image quality on the PS4 Pro version is also pretty nasty (checkboard rendering) versus the native 4K Xbox One X as they never bothered to fix that either.

Gudji

After almost 3 years of PS5 and XSX and no patch fuck you. Must be another of those creative decisions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom