• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 PC [OT] - “Vengeance is an idiot's game”

Don't recommend using Rivatuner or any other fps limiters outside the game because it causes weird glitches with clothes flickering when changing outfits or jackets and possibly other visual glitches not fully identified.

As for performance, don't expect to get 120+ fps in this game. It's a pipe dream even if you had a 10900k and 3090. Your best bet is to crank up the graphics, enable gsync and play with a controller enjoying it for what it is. This is not a high performing well optimized game. It's meant to be ran at 30 fps with a controller and it will bring most PCs to their knees at anything around console level graphics settings.

GymWolf

Don't recommend using Rivatuner or any other fps limiters outside the game because it causes weird glitches with clothes flickering when changing outfits or jackets and possibly other visual glitches not fully identified.

As for performance, don't expect to get 120+ fps in this game. It's a pipe dream even if you had a 10900k and 3090. Your best bet is to crank up the graphics, enable gsync and play with a controller enjoying it for what it is. This is not a high performing well optimized game. It's meant to be ran at 30 fps with a controller and it will bring most PCs to their knees at anything around console level graphics settings.
I'm not searching for 120 frame, i'm perfectly good with 60 frames but this fucking game can't even achieve that with a damn 2070super and a lot of things on medium...

I don't have a gsynnc monitor that's why i notice the slowdowns...

I'm gonna disable rivatuner tho.

A lot of people say that the game is not nearly as bad optimized like some other people say but to me it's one of the most badly optimized game that i played this year, my pc is far more powerfull than a ps4, i'm not gonna bend the knee and play at 30 fps wkth console details, rockstar can kiss my ass.

Last edited:

DJT123

So umm,i bought the game for 30 euros but it still run like absolute and total shit on my pc even after following the guide on yt for the best settings.

I have a 2070super and a 8600k both stock and 16gb ddr4 3200 and i can't achieve 1440p60 no matter the settings, i have a shitload of things on medium, some stuff on high and some stuff on ultra but the framerate is absolutely all over the place with slow down of 15 frames sometimes...usually i stay between 60 and 50 frames but it's pretty wild and frankly unplayable for me.

There is some secret stuff to do outside of the in game settings?

I'm using riva tuner to lock the framerate and the vsync from the nvidia control panel, no ingame vsynk or triple buffering.

I'm following these guide for the settings, do you have something better?!

The game is very poorly optimized and the narrative that ultra settings are future proof is bullshit, the yt guy clearly show how almost nothing change between ultra and high most of the times, sometimes even ultra to medium is barely a loss in fidelity.

Can someone help?

Try and lockit to 30 FPS and use a gamepad. (better gfx than consoles) Maybe make a custom resolution 1080p at 30 hz (if you cant edit Hz use CRU https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU) in Nvidia control panel and use v-sync in-game?

Last edited:

GymWolf

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Have you tried using the Geforce experience software? I find it's not bad at finding a decent sweet spot of performance versus appearance. I usually just tweak resolution down generally if I want to increase the bells and whistles graphically.

GymWolf

I know your PC is great and you shouldn't have to do this but... Try locking it to 45 FPS or 40 FPS, in case 60 ain't happening.
Yeah but what about all the people with a similar pc who get 1440p60 with decent details?? All forum bullshit from people who doesn't even have the game??

Fuck me the last game i locked to 45 frame was that shitshow of ac odissey...

I can't even crank the graphic up because the game barely maintain 45 frame, sometimes he goes down to 30-35...

This game running on console is the greatest miracle ever even if they have sub-low quality for some settings...

I literally bought the pc version to replay the game at higher resolution\framerate compared to the console...

Last edited:

GymWolf

Have you tried using the Geforce experience software? I find it's not bad at finding a decent sweet spot of performance versus appearance. I usually just tweak resolution down generally if I want to increase the bells and whistles graphically.
I don't even have that thing on my pc, i decide how to tailor the settings not an app that probably cut more than he has to do to maintain the framerate.

I only used that thing one time in the past and i was laughing my ass off for the results, never again.
Also i heard that it can create some conflicts with some games.

Thanks for the advice anyway.

Last edited:

GymWolf

So I'm right on the verge of buying a new graphics card for this game. From a performance to price ratio in the range I'm looking (400-500), it seems that the RTX 2070 Super is the best pick. Do any of you guys have this card, or do your recommend something different?
Fucking lol.

DJT123

Yeah but what about all the people with a similar pc who get 1440p60 with decent details?? All forum bullshit from people who doesn't even have the game??

I can't even crank the graphic up because the game barely maintain 45 frame, sometimes he goes down to 30-35...

This game running on console is the greatest miracle ever even if they have sub-low quality for some settings...

Try: Use DX12 API, not Vulkan, Make RDR high priority in taskmanager, Vsync off, MSAA 2 or off, medium settings everywhere, change to windowed and resize window if it lets you and positively affects FPS with smaller window.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
I'm sorry, is this some sort of joke?! :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I have to play at 1080p30 with a 2070super?!

For the record, i already use a controller, i hate using m+k.
No you don't. I was getting 50-60fps in 1440p with custom settings which had a lot of options to high with a 1660 super paired with a r5 3600. Heck I was even getting 30fps in 4k but played in 1440p for better framerates. Look up best settings online

GymWolf

No you don't. I was getting 50-60fps in 1440p with custom settings which had a lot of options to high with a 1660 super paired with a r5 3600. Heck I was even getting 30fps in 4k but played in 1440p for better framerates. Look up best settings online
How in the fuck you had almost stable 60 at 1440p with a 1660 super?? Everything on medium-low maybe?

I already looked for the best settings,i even posted the video i'm following... do you have any better videos??

Am i cpu bottlenecked with a 8600k maybe??

Last edited:

GymWolf

This is the guide I used:

Same as mine, even following these setting the framerate does the fuck he wants...

Did you played with a framecounter on screen or you just Think that your framerate was stable?

Some people can't even say when they have 20 frame slowdowns sometimes...

Malakhov

Banned
Same as mine, even following these setting the framerate does the fuck he wants...

Did you played with a framecounter on screen or you just Think that your framerate was stable?

Some people can't even say when they have 20 frame slowdowns sometimes...
Always have rivatuner going. This is pretty accurate from what I was getting

I went through settings one by one in the guide and decided on what was worth it or not as for the hit. Pretty much everything was high/ultra

GymWolf

Always have rivatuner going. This is pretty accurate from what I was getting

I went through settings one by one in the guide and decided on what was worth it or not as for the hit. Pretty much everything was high/ultra
Well fuck me again, i hate pc gaming when performances are so wildly different...
It's not even a matter of having pc problems, i tried another 2 big open world games and they run perfectly at 1440\1800p with hogh details...

I did the same as you dude, i watched several guides and then turned to medium or high all the unimportant stuff, but the game still run like shit.

Do you use vulkan or dx12?

Malakhov

Banned
There is something definitely wrong since I had no problems with odyssey as well, heck even hzd pc. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling your drivers from a clean state?

Malakhov

Banned
Well fuck me again, i hate pc gaming when performances are so wildly different...
It's not even a matter of having pc problems, i tried another 2 big open world games and they run perfectly at 1440\1800p with hogh details...

I did the same as you dude, i watched several guides and then turned to medium or high all the unimportant stuff, but the game still run like shit.

Do you use vulkan or dx12?
Vulkan, everything I read recommends vulkan

GymWolf

Vulkan, everything I read recommends vulkan
Yeah i know, i'm using vulkan too, i was just hoping for a different opinion just to try something different...

Well today is an historic day for pc gaming, a 1660 super beat the shit out of a 2070super in a 2018 game 🕺

Malakhov

Banned
Yeah i know, i'm using vulkan too, i was just hoping for a different opinion just to try something different...

Well today is an historic day for pc gaming, a 1660 super beat the shit out of a 2070super in a 2018 game 🕺
I was running hzd on a fucking rx 470 and it was damn good, I upgraded to the 1660 super and I was getting 50+ fps in 1440p with almost everything on high. Only thing I noticed that was different is I was using a r5 3600 when most of my friends had problems with an intel cpu. I don't know if it's a coincidence or it has something to do with it. Pc gaming is weird, that's the negative about it

GymWolf

I was running hzd on a fucking rx 470 and it was damn good, I upgraded to the 1660 super and I was getting 50+ fps in 1440p with almost everything on high. Only thing I noticed that was different is I was using a r5 3600 when most of my friends had problems with an intel cpu. I don't know if it's a coincidence or it has something to do with it. Pc gaming is weird, that's the negative about it
I kinda hate you right now :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

J3nga

RDR2 isn't exactly going to win best optimized game award or even be amongst nominees but on a 3080 @4k with a mix of high/ultra settings 60 is totally doable. There are options that'll totally drag down the performance though. I can see why some recommend using gamepad because the controls feel floaty due to being console port.

Last edited:

GymWolf

RDR2 isn't exactly going to win best optimized game award or even be amongst nominees but on a 3080 @4k with a mix of high/ultra settings 60 is totally doable. There are options that'll totally drag down the performance though.
It would be hilarious if a 3080 would not be enough to run this fucking game...

DJT123

RX470/80 is a monster card for its time.

Malakhov

Banned
I kinda hate you right now :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
I was extremely lucky for hzd, I kept reading the comments in the hzd pc thread and I was dumbfounded as how I could play this without any crashes and having it run smoothly while others with a higher end card couldn't even play the game

RX470/80 is a monster card for its time.
Yeah it was, also sold it used for a decent amount. Still pretty crazy it ran hzd that well

Last edited:

GymWolf

I was extremely lucky for hzd, I kept reading the comments in the hzd pc thread and I was dumbfounded as how I could play this without any crashes and having it run smoothly while others with a higher end card couldn't even play the game
This is the best\worse of pc gaming, sometimes you read people having problems while your game run fine and sometimes is the opposite...

Thank god it's only for 3-4 games every year.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
How in the fuck you had almost stable 60 at 1440p with a 1660 super?? Everything on medium-low maybe?

I already looked for the best settings,i even posted the video i'm following... do you have any better videos??

Am i cpu bottlenecked with a 8600k maybe??

8600K should be fine. Try DF settings (graphics like on Xbox one X)

hm-dTexMIwoCtP2_8H0Ch8r_ijLSJ6gV8ItBQDIJhyw.png

With this i got ~75FPS on 2060 Super (so like 2070) in 2560x1080. Check your score in Time Spy, if your setup is working correctly.

Last edited:

GymWolf

8600K should be fine. Try DF settings (graphics like on Xbox one X)

hm-dTexMIwoCtP2_8H0Ch8r_ijLSJ6gV8ItBQDIJhyw.png

With this i got ~75FPS on 2060 Super (so like 2070) in 2560x1080. Check your score in Time Spy, if your setup is working correctly.
You have to guide me through this part, i'm pretty noob with this stuff, i don't even know what time spy is...

edit: ok it's a benchmark on steam, any setting to change before doing a test?

edit2: oh you have to buy 3dmak first, forget it, not gonna spend money on benchmarks.
My pc works fine i think, i just played shadow of war at 1800p60 ultra without a problem.

Also, no way im gonna play this game with console details, i rather wait to buy a 3080 to bruteforce it.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
You have to guide me through this part, i'm pretty noob with this stuff, i don't even know what time spy is...

edit: ok it's a benchmark on steam, any setting to change before doing a test?

edit2: oh you have to buy 3dmak first, forget it, not gonna spend money on benchmarks.
My pc works fine i think, i just played shadow of war at 1800p60 ultra without a problem.

Also, no way im gonna play this game with console details, i rather wait to buy a 3080 to bruteforce it.

It's free https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/3dmark-download.html

RDR2 doesn't look much better on higher settings, it's mostly just upping lods and stuff like that while fucking up performance. They did something no a lot devs do, most games are straight console ports and you can' t set much better GFX than on consoles and with RDR2 PC gamers as always set everything to the max an cry shit optimization on Rockstar part.

I have 8 870 GPU score in TS, you should have more on 2070. If not, something is fucked in your system.

Last edited:

GymWolf

It's free https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/3dmark-download.html

RDR2 doesn't look much better on higher settings, it's mostly just upping lods and stuff like that while fucking up performance. They did something no a lot devs do, most games are straight console ports and you can' t set much better GFX than on consoles and with RDR2 PC gamers as always set everything to the max an cry shit optimization on Rockstar part.

I have 8 870 GPU score in TS, you should have more on 2070. If not, something is fucked in your system.
Dude i already saw the video with the differences between all the settings from ultra to low, it's not my first rodeo, i never try to put everything on ultra if i don't have power to spare.

But some settings look horrible on medium or low and i'm not gonna play the game with shitty settings, i already played the game on console, i only bought the pc edition to enjoy the eye-candy and 60 frames, i'm not gonna lower the setting to console level.

And if i have problem in my pc is something only related to this game because the others run perfectly fine like always.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Don't do that just for one game. You might end up disappointed. Some games are so badly optimized that even brute force can't make them run well. Rockstar already had one such game, it's called GTA IV. RDR 2 may just be another one.

GymWolf

Don't do that just for one game. You might end up disappointed. Some games are so badly optimized that even brute force can't make them run well. Rockstar already had one such game, it's called GTA IV. RDR 2 may just be another one.
Buying a 3080 was already in the plans for my rig, rdr2 has nothing to do about it. (I already completed the game on ps4 pro)

Last edited:

GymWolf

Try: Use DX12 API, not Vulkan, Make RDR high priority in taskmanager, Vsync off, MSAA 2 or off, medium settings everywhere, change to windowed and resize window if it lets you and positively affects FPS with smaller window.
ok in order:

i briefly tried dx12 during the first start but the general framerate was a little worse than vulkan, maybe i will try again tonight.

i will try the high priority thing

i can't play without some sort of vsync because of the tearing, i usually use the nvidia panel control one and never the ingame one, who is the worse here?

Is that thing the third type of AA in the game right? it's already off, i'm using taa, if it's the other msaa related setting, is already at 2x but i can scale down to off.

a lot of stuff is already on medium but i'm not gonna play with important stuff below high, i saw the difference of some settings between ultra\high and medium and the perfromance gain is insignificant but they look far worse.

isn't usually fullscreen who gave you the best performance? i never play on windowed, at best borderless window, but i'm really no expert with these settings, what do you mean in the bolded part?

thanks for the patience buddy.

Last edited:

DJT123

ok in order:

i briefly tried dx12 during the first start but the general framerate was a little worse than vulkan, maybe i will try again tonight.

i will try the high priority thing

i can't play without some sort of vsync because of the tearing, i usually use the nvidia panel control one and never the ingame one, who is the worse here?

Is that thing the third type of AA in the game right? it's already off, i'm using taa, if it's the other msaa related setting, is already at 2x but i can scale down to off.

a lot of stuff is already on medium but i'm not gonna play with important stuff below high, i saw the difference of some settings between ultra\high and medium and the perfromance gain is insignificant but they look far worse.

isn't usually fullscreen who gave you the best performance? i never play on windowed, at best borderless window, but i'm really no expert with these settings, what do you mean in the bolded part?

thanks for the patience buddy.

It doesn't sound like you're winning but I don't have other ideas really. Its just bad luck. If you try and run it in a window you might be able to resize that window so the game is running in a smaller window and drawing less resources from your PC. That's the last thing I'd try. Otherwise the game will always be there when you upgrade.

Guilty_AI

So umm,i bought the game for 30 euros but it still run like absolute and total shit on my pc even after following the guide on yt for the best settings.

I have a 2070super and a 8600k both stock and 16gb ddr4 3200 and i can't achieve 1440p60 no matter the settings, i have a shitload of things on medium, some stuff on high and some stuff on ultra but the framerate is absolutely all over the place with slow down of 15 frames sometimes...usually i stay between 60 and 50 frames but it's pretty wild and frankly unplayable for me.

There is some secret stuff to do outside of the in game settings?

I'm using riva tuner to lock the framerate and the vsync from the nvidia control panel, no ingame vsynk or triple buffering.

I'm following these guide for the settings, do you have something better?!

The game is very poorly optimized and the narrative that ultra settings are future proof is bullshit, the yt guy clearly show how almost nothing change between ultra and high most of the times, sometimes even ultra to medium is barely a loss in fidelity.

Can someone help?

From my experience, the main problem of this game performance can be summed up in:
-It wasn't optimized to run at 60fps, so it struggles when you try to (There was even a bug at launch that made Arthur get hungry/thinner faster at higher framerates)
-Graphical settings are all over the place and the benchmark test is very much useless. I don't know if you did those already but my recommendations would be: Turn reflections quality to low, reduce grass distance to around 2 or 3, water physics at medium/high, shadow quality at high, volumetric quality at medium/high

Last edited:

GymWolf

I played a bit with the settings and now it seems to maintain 60 frame, i still have texture and something else on ultra and illumination on high, i had to make some sacrifices with the shadows but i don't give a fuck about shadows...

let's see how it goes while playing a little and forcing some hell on screen with police, explosions, npcs running etc.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I played a bit with the settings and now it seems to maintain 60 frame, i still have texture and something else on ultra and illumination on high, i had to make some sacrifices with the shadows but i don't give a fuck about shadows...

let's see how it goes while playing a little and forcing some hell on screen with police, explosions, npcs running etc.
Lol forget this, it was a fluke, at night or in the camp the game still run like shit...

I locked the game at 30 fps to enjoy at least the 4k and all the ultra-high details.

YCoCg

Rockstar's support for this game on PC has been abysmal. Each patch that mainly focuses on Online stuff usually ends up breaking small things here and there for the base game or settings and then there's still small bugs that were reported over a year ago at this point that have still not been fixed! It really is a shame how everyone just sucks off Rockstar to NOT call them out on this stuff but for such a high profile studio I'm honestly amazed at the shit they fuck up.

Top Bottom