• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 PC [OT] - “Vengeance is an idiot's game”

sertopico

Beautiful and great game...but a game that I cant play. :( My PC has been stabile from the start and every software/game has been working great. Even Prime95 with AVX can be run hours without problems. Red Dead 2 is the only thing that just keeps crashing. At first it didn't even start but the first patch corrected that problem. I've tried to search for a solution but to no avail. Can't pinpoint it to a single hardware issue as it seems people are having similar issues be it with NVIDIA, AMD or Intel. There must be something fundamentaly wrong with the game itself.
I just ran a small test and apparently the game crashes while playing also when you do not have any active internet connection. So you might check that as well.

Ironbunny

I just ran a small test and apparently the game crashes while playing also when you do not have any active internet connection. So you might check that as well.

Thanks for the heads up. My connection doesn't seem have any issues. :/ Wonder what kind of DRM RD2 uses. Would not be surprised if that is the final culprit. :S

sertopico

If I got that right, you can avoid that issue by going in the control settings and changing the input mode from "raw" to directinput... Anyway do you just get a generic crash in the event viewer?

I feel like an idiot but on console I tap the holster button twice and he spins the pistol as he puts the gun away, on PC I can’t seem to duplicate this unless I’m just a moron?

Shooting still feels very clunky and unnatural in this game. Can't imagine having input delay on top of it. I had no issues in GTA5 so it's strange it feels so off even with direct input.

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
inwQmz.png

inwmyF.png

inwVuT.png

iny8Pc.png

inxhtH.png

rdr2_2019_11_10_21_58lhkcq.png

inwqQ7.png

inwBnr.png

rdr2_2019_11_10_23_20hskbq.png

rdr2_2019_11_10_18_335mjvy.png

inwd8b.png

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
Woah the tree tessellation which just got introduced eats up to 6-8 fps. I think it's better keeping it off.

Yeah I actually got an out of memory error or something with it on. I'm running a 2070 that should not happen. Feels a bit experimental right now!

Ironbunny

If I got that right, you can avoid that issue by going in the control settings and changing the input mode from "raw" to directinput... Anyway do you just get a generic crash in the event viewer?

Glad to say the latest patch fixed everything for me. Not a single crash after the patch. Game runs very smooth and both vulkan and DX12 work now.

I’m no longer getting crashes at all and have found a pretty stable 45ish FPS with ultra textures and most everything else on high except water settings on medium

I’m definitely enjoying it more on PC even though aiming doesn’t feel quite right and I’ve tried all different settings and can’t get the aiming to feel perfect

Tried that too. Vulkan had some stuttering issues when pressing run button which went away when changing to DX12.

I too had that issue, workaround is changing the mouse from raw input to direct input and that stopped the stuttering while holding a system key like Ctrl Alt or Shift & moving the mouse.

Since a few days after the game launched, once it actually got working, I managed a really solid 1080/60 on my ancient hardware, some areas even in the 80's, with the game looking fantastic with a mix of medium/high settings and couple at ultra.

Then after one of the patches I just can't seem to get the game looking as good anymore, blocky shadows in particular. Even with everything on medium and the demanding settings on low, I'm still dropping into the 45-50fps area quite often where I wasn't before.

Last edited:
Since a few days after the game launched, once it actually got working, I managed a really solid 1080/60 on my ancient hardware, some areas even in the 80's, with the game looking fantastic with a mix of medium/high settings and couple at ultra.

Then after one of the patches I just can't seem to get the game looking as good anymore, blocky shadows in particular. Even with everything on medium and the demanding settings on low, I'm still dropping into the 45-50fps area quite often where I wasn't before.

thats a drastic drop....odd

perhaps something got enabled by the patch that was disabled before?

Last edited:

sertopico

Yesterdays patch broke both my and my GF's game :/ Instant crash when using Vulkan.
I also got problems. One crash and a very annoying frame skipping/stuttering when moving the mouse fast, on Vulkan as well as on DX12. It never happened until now... Apparently I solved the issue by deleting the settings folder (path: X:\Documents\Rockstar Games\Red Dead Redemption 2 ) and therefore resetting the graphical options.

Last edited:
I also got problems. One crash and a very annoying frame skipping/stuttering when moving the mouse fast, on Vulkan as well as on DX12. It never happened until now... Apparently I solved the issue by deleting the settings folder (path: X:\Documents\Rockstar Games\Red Dead Redemption 2 ) and therefore resetting the graphical options.

Ah thanks I'll remember that if we ever get those issues.

I actually narrowed our crashing issue down to nVidia DSR. I noticed the game would successfully load every time when selecting 4K, the res it defaulted to even though I have a 1080P monitor. And every time I select 1080p it would crash on load. I then disabled DSR and gone is the crashing on both our PCs.

Top Bottom