• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is still the best open world game made

Crayon

It's on plus (last time I checked) and I told myself I'd try it but I have a weird feeling I'm going to hate it. At this point it's a real touchstone tho so I feel obliged.

intbal

RDR2???

You can't platform for agility orbs in that game!
Do you even open world, bro?

LxkIZhi.gif

and then you start a mission and it's more linear than House of the Dead, paired with the most dogshit gamedesign ever seen
yes, there's some truth to this. &, yes, despite this being so, it still doesn't alter/contradict the fact that the op's opinion is a valid one...

red dead redemption 2 is fucking stunning...

Freeman76

Great western simulator, terrible videogame. I still can't understand why people blow this game so much, it was a drag with clunky controls and boring moment to moment gameplay.

Simple fact here, you werent the target audience so you didnt "get it'.

Its regarded highly for a reason, but its not for everyone.

We dont all need non stop action to enjoy a game, some people like a slow burn, where you soak in the atmosphere and take things at a low pace. The controls are fine and the gameplay is far from boring, to call it terrible is just reductive bullshit.

_Ex_

OP is 100% correct. I've been gaming for 40 years now and RDR2 is unquestionably the best game I've played. But RDR2 is not a game for everybody. Especially impatient people who like their games arcadey. Nothing against those folks, there's plenty of games for their tastes. For me, as someone who loves nature, loves westerns, and enjoys morally grey stories RDR2 is pure magnificence. My asshat takeaway is RDR2 is GTA for grown ups.

ikbalCO

To some extend, yes.

Rdr2 is spectacle. It is still stunning visually and compared to other open world games it is unrivalled at capturing the feeling of the open "world" that they wanted to create. It is the onyle game ever where it actually feels like you are playing in a different time and in a different place. rdr2's world is not just a background scene for game to happen but it is actually a living and breathing place.

Gameplay vise, it is really bad. Aiming is bad. Movement is bad. Horse is bad. So interacting with that surreally real world is just boring.

Botw and elden ring on the other hand manage to create fantastic worlds with actual gameplay.

Soooo, no.

_Ex_

Aiming is bad. Movement is bad. Horse is bad. So interacting with that surreally real world is just boring.

Play RDR2 in first person with the field of view maxed out. Fixes aiming, movement, horse control, and speeds up the game significantly, due to cutting out all the slow player animations. RDR2 is a first person game at heart. The third person view was a concession.

looks great for sure. Unfortunately great graphics blind ppl. Thats how Last of Us tricked so many ppl into thinking it was good.

The controls and lack of variety in Red Dead 2's world make it worse than Red Dead 1 for me. Nothing really happens in Red Dead 2. In red dead 1 open world events happen way more frequently. And the controls in Red Dead 1 are just more crisp. I shoot where i want. I move where i want. I appreciate the extra things u can do in the sequel that aren't in the first game, but sometimes simplicity is more fun.

and this brings me to the point of Breath of the Wild being the actual best open world game. They just nailed that 30 seconds of fun game loop. Every little area has a weapon, enemy, puzzle, shrine, point of interest. Just a reason to be everywhere and see everything the game has to offer. The traversal options. The physics engine. For me BOTW is number 1.

number 2 for me is San Andreas. Just so many things you can do and vehicles to drive/pilot make it a game you will always have fun jumping in

mxbison

It might have the best open world, but it's not the best open world game.

Gameplay is average, mission design is complete trash.

Also there is a lot of space between DMC movement and RDR2's laggy ass tank character. It's not the slightest bit realistic. If walking and turning is that slow and hard for you, you should see a doctor.

Last edited:
I totally agree it’s a beautiful looking open world, and it feels alive too, But this very basic, linear game runs through it and struggles to marry up to the promise the open world presents to the player.

I never gave this a chance last gen and really, really want to play this on my Series X, but won't touch the game unless it's given a 60fps patch.
Please stop being a spoiled brat. 30fps is fine for games like this.

You're missing out a beautiful experience. And that just because now all of a sudden 30fps is subpar?
No, its just next gen owners wanting an update that justifies having a nextgen console. It's pathetic.

Same goes for idiots claiming 30fps hurts their eyes. B.U.L.L.S.H.I.T Its entitlement. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

I personally preferred the first Redemption. It has better physics and gunplay. It's a real shame they couldn't tie some good gameplay around RDR2's absolutely phenomenal world and presentation.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Please stop being a spoiled brat. 30fps is fine for games like this.

You're missing out a beautiful experience. And that just because now all of a sudden 30fps is subpar?
No, its just next gen owners wanting an update that justifies having a nextgen console. It's pathetic.

Same goes for idiots claiming 30fps hurts their eyes. B.U.L.L.S.H.I.T Its entitlement. Nothing more, nothing less.

Or, how about I just play the games I want to play and you mind your own business?

If others want to play this game at 30fps, go for it. I don't want to. It's just a game. I don't think I've seen anyone so angry about someone else not wanting to play a game lol. And you're calling me pathetic?

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
opinions are like buttholes and all that.

I loved it to death, spent the time to get the plat. Very raerly do that these days.

I found the whole experience really fun, no idea how people found it boring. The realism and systems you mentionned made it so interesting, I had never seen that detail in a game. Was almost like a life sim at times, I've always loved the old west genre and it was amazing to live in that world for a time.

jaysius

Banned
RDR 1 was my Game of the Generation for 360/PS3.

RDR 2 was a huge fucking let down in every aspect.

Still had Rockstars' shitty aiming, had awful dragging story with the similar "twist" ending bit.

It's not the best western game, but it's the most lively created open world western game.

R* needs to hire writers from Deadwood or another good show before they do another game.

Boy bawang

and then you start a mission and it's more linear than House of the Dead, paired with the most dogshit gamedesign ever seen

This is the real, most important issue with this game. With how amazingly organic the open world feels, having such limitation is even more noticeable.

Beautiful game and I don't mind the controls (but agree they could be improved a bit) but I drifted away because of how slow it was to work through the story (not that the gameplay was slow). It felt like there were 10 sidequest-type missions that you had to do before you could get back to a mission that would move the story forward.

Hydroxy

One of the most boring gameplay. Just because it has sweet graphics, story and acting doesn't mean its automatically a great game. The gameplay is most important which it fails at.

rahuljx

Beautiful game but didnt enjoy my time with it.

I found it so strange that they go the realistic route for everything, but the law system is so frustratingly broken. No matter where you are the law pretty much teleports to you within seconds. You bump into someone in town and it leads to a shootout and you have pretty much no hope of winning.

The story also stopped working for me when for the 100th time Arthur would just go along with Dutch.

And what is it with the controls. Did anyone like it? How do reviewers justify giving the game so many perfect scores when the controls were so clunky and tedious?

Nah. I don't want to fall asleep doing a bunch of tedious cowboy chores, I want to fight a fucking giant murder bear with dual katanas and a jellyfish ghost partner.

Red Dead is BORING and the combat is only slightly better than a Naughty Dog game, which is to say it's pretty bad.

If I want any of the pretty environments, I'll just quite literally go outside and be like "oh look, it's a fucking tree."

Last edited:

Paasei

It does everything very well apart from one the most important one: gameplay/controls. It's still as shit as it was with GTA 3.
To make it playable you'll have to wait for a PC release and then it's still sloggish at best. And therefore alone it cannot be the best GAME ever.

It still beyond me that this company also made Max Payne and yet they still have fucked up controls in all their GTA/RD games.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I think it has the most lovingly-crafted open world, but the sparse fast travel prevents me from agreeing that it's the "best". After the honeymoon phase with the game is over it becomes an absolute chore getting around. Same with GTA V.

Warablo

I agree OP.

Think you need to get used to the snappy lock on aiming system if you want to enjoy the gameplay.

Kataploom

Gold Member
opinions are like buttholes and all that.

I loved it to death, spent the time to get the plat. Very raerly do that these days.

I found the whole experience really fun, no idea how people found it boring. The realism and systems you mentionned made it so interesting, I had never seen that detail in a game. Was almost like a life sim at times, I've always loved the old west genre and it was amazing to live in that world for a time.
Well, can't speak for others and I myself find it graphically unappealing to me, but I can see all the things you mentioned are exactly what makes it look "boring" and uninteresting to me... I mean, I don't care about "life like" stuff and if that's the focus of the game, I prefer to keep ignoring it...

Well I'll probably play it eventually, it's just not in the top of my priorities, I got too much to play already and that games feel like "just another realistic thing" to me..

Last edited:
Top Bottom