• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 Is Having A Rough Launch On PC

Terenty

I love how ppl always say not gonna play the game now i will wait for the true experience on pc or next gen console as if the game will magically become this true next game game with mind blowing graphics all of a sudden.

I can barely see any difference between my standard ps4 and pc with 2080 card. The game is made and optimised for this generation of consoles there's only so much they can improve graphically without making some serious adjustments to the engine etc and nobody will be doing it just to port a game.

First of all spending 1200 for a GPU just for gaming is plain stupid but I do appreciate the effort, secondly to those people saying next gen consoles should target 60 FPS and that because PC'S can do it I say they either don't understand gaming or computers that much,

The reason your pc could do 60fps 4k ultra is simply because the developers haven't pushed that game or you haven't pushed the graphics fidelity, there is no equipment out there that is the holy grail of rendering, lastly I appreciate consoles because they target a specific performance due to their games design and it works, rdr2 was awesome in consoles and that's enough for me. I have no time to start bickering and maneuveruing with pc hardware and drivers n all that shit to play a game, goodluck.

I love how ppl always say not gonna play the game now i will wait for the true experience on pc or next gen console as if the game will magically become this true next game game with mind blowing graphics all of a sudden.

I can barely see any difference between my standard ps4 and pc with 2080 card. The game is made and optimised for this generation of consoles there's only so much they can improve graphically without making some serious adjustments to the engine etc and nobody will be doing it just to port a game.
It's not only that current pc gpus have 8b vram on average a ps4 has 8gb the games would always look similar except for a few gizmos

It's not only that current pc gpus have 8b vram on average a ps4 has 8gb the games would always look similar except for a few gizmos

PS4 has 5 GB ram for games, about 2 ~ 3 GB of which will be used for buffers and textures, similar to a PC GPU. An 8GB PC card will have about 7GB free for games, and can overcommit to use main ram for additional texture storage.

You can easily go to much higher levels of detail on a PC with an 8GB card. Back buffer resolution, shadows, alpha buffers, volumetric effects, past frames for temporal effects, textures lods ... PC has a big advantage over base consoles. X1X is much closer though.

But it's up to them if they use such high settings. The only people they should be pissed off at are themselves.

If you can't stop yourself moving a slider up and getting bad performance for improvements you either can't see or don't value, then you're the problem.

So long as the game presents you with reasonable initial settings that give you good results for good performance, everything else is on you. IF the game just dumps you in with ultra settings, then yeah that's shitty.
Unfortunately a lot of people have this completely arbitrary anal retentive obssession with Ultra quality. I had this friend who upgraded GPU like 8 times in 6 months or something stupid because he was obsessed with running games at 4K and when I suggested he turn some settings down, even going so far to show him examples on my system where you couldn't even tell it wasn't running at Ultra quality, he was like "uh...no".

nani17

are in a big trouble
this chat has become an absolute embarrassment full of fanboys and childish comments. Please don't respond but it's the internet just shouldn't give anybody the reason to be an absolute child. This reminds me of the time Arkham Knight came out for the PC and was optimised very badly to the point were modern cards couldn't run the game properly at all. People laughed at the fact someone bought a game and couldn't play it rather than feel sorry for them that the game was badly optimised. You had similar comments about the console been able to run it and hahaha PC. The usual comments about why pc is trash and didn't blame the development of the game at all.

I'm not saying it's badly optimised but for all we know a few patches could fix these issues. I don't mind a good joke but some here take it way too serious. I own consoles and a Pc in case anyone need to know and yeah I spend fucking ridiculous money on my PC because its my money 🤑😂

Last edited:

NeoGiffer

3SFW.gif

Woo-Fu

Banned
I grew out of PC gaming about a decade ago. Reading all this stuff brings back those PTSD moments of buying the hottest new title and realising my faithful old rig can't handle it. It's a never ending cycle of chasing the highest numbers and only feeling satisfied when a arbitrary setting is switched on in the graphics menu.

Moving back to console was the best decision of my gaming career, both for my sanity and the sake of my wallet.

You do realize that the problem in this scenario is you yourself and not pc gaming, right? I drop a new GPU into my pc about every 3 years and do cpu/ram/mobo around every 6. The money I save paying less for games than I would if I bought the console versions pays for the hardware upgrades.

The only thing pushing you to spend 90% of your budget on that last 10% of performance is you. So yeah, people lacking in self control, willpower, and the ability to analyze return on investment should definitely stick with consoles. :)

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
People are dumb when it comes to PCs. Up date Windows, there’s an important .NET framework that needs to be installed before playing also.
It's not people fault. ..net should be installed automatically and windows should also update itself... don't see why windows update. It's all happening in the background usually

thief183

People are dumb when it comes to PCs. Up date Windows, there’s an important .NET framework that needs to be installed before playing also.

Yea, I don't get why ppl don't want to update windows, with windows 10 you can make it do all by himself, yes you can incur in some problems sometimes, but they are usually fixed in a matter of hours

Airbus Jr

Banned
no way they wil. they wil only focus on their online wich is extremly overpriced

I already expected this...

But yet Im still incredibly dissapointed with this situation....

A game as big and as great as Red Dead Redemption 2 could use at least one or two additional expansion....

Such a shame Rockstar decided to focus on online microtransaction money these days instead of making great single player dlc...

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
After the ultra shitty ps4 pro version rockstar can't get the pc version to work properly at launch?

Fakeshock.gif

But hey, it's future proof guys, in 3 years you are gonna put everyrhing on ultra and the game will still be destroyed by any proper triple A nextgen game :ROFLMAO:
RDR2 has amazing vistas, nice foliage and depicts the realistic nature element well, but it also has lots of low rez textures and character models are not it's strong suit.....It's definitely not on Horizon Zero Dawn's level in terms of overall graphics and consistency.......I mean the game runs well enough on PRO and XBONEX at 30fps, so it's strange that such expensive GPU's are struggling so much, even with some graphical enhancements. In all other games, you can even max out AF and slide up some settings or in cases get 1440p 60fps on an RX 580, even at times when XBONEX is 30fps with dynamic resolution.....

PRO was never optimized like XBONEX, but maybe Rockstar has an issue with optimizing for many different PC's and configs altopgether, Vulkan + DX12 etc....

If you know it's all rockstar's fault truly fault on this problems occured due the game is just so fast to release on pc unlike other rockstar game like gta v(this game released on 2years with current gen release) clearly the game itself not fully optimized on pc usage I wish they delayed the game itself than this situation its take-two's curse buggy release games like 2k20 and dreaded wwe2k20 in 2019

PS4 has 5 GB ram for games, about 2 ~ 3 GB of which will be used for buffers and textures, similar to a PC GPU. An 8GB PC card will have about 7GB free for games, and can overcommit to use main ram for additional texture storage.

You can easily go to much higher levels of detail on a PC with an 8GB card. Back buffer resolution, shadows, alpha buffers, volumetric effects, past frames for temporal effects, textures lods ... PC has a big advantage over base consoles. X1X is much closer though.
Yeah but on average it's 8gb there's not much room for improvement yes you can add system ram but that's slower, and games are console ports they are designed to consume not more than 6gb so besides higher resolutions and a few effects here and there the games all look similar across the board.
And even worse games would look even more similar coming next gen

It's not people fault. ..net should be installed automatically and windows should also update itself... don't see why windows update. It's all happening in the background usually
Microsoft did that at the beginning of windows 10 however everyone hated that the computer was updating by itself and they got flack for that.

Terenty

PC is relegated to indie games and coop/online games nowadays. There is literally no reason to have a high end pc for gaming because all the major games will be limited by the next gen console hardware anyway. Buy a video card comparable to that of Ps5 or xbox and you are good to go

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
yeah imma wait to build my new pc when the new GPU'S are out. And the first game i will play is cyberpunk 2077
also i want those new intel cpu's for dank emulator possibilities

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
PC is relegated to indie games and coop/online games nowadays. There is literally no reason to have a high end pc for gaming because all the major games will be limited by the next gen console hardware anyway. Buy a video card comparable to that of Ps5 or xbox and you are good to go
hold on, just gonna throw out my £3,000 gaming pc. what a waste of money! no reason for me to play games on this.

are you serious or just trying to troll?

some people actually care about how their games look/run.

yeah imma wait to build my new pc when the new GPU'S are out. And the first game i will play is cyberpunk 2077
also i want those new intel cpu's for dank emulator possibilities
new intel CPUs aren't going to do much over the 9900K.

if you mean the die shrinked cpus ... 10nm or 7nm (can't even keep track of WTF intel is doing) then have fun waiting. by the time they are out Cyberpunk will have been out for a good while.

i have a 9900K and i don't think there will be any need to replace it for many years yet. 8 cores is more than enough for gaming. if intel release a 10 core cpu that's not gonna do much for games or emulation. the 9900K can hit 5.0 without breaking a sweat. some can do 5.2Ghz. any new 14nm cpus might get a 100-200Mhz boost but with 5.0Ghz already easily achievable that is more than enough for emulation today.

It’s just a poorly ported game I bet driver updates can improve things down the road.
there's only so much drivers can do. if the game is truly unoptimised or badly ported then that is up to Rockstar to fix.

GTA V had problems at launch too. I'm sure Rockstar will sort the PC version out.

Last edited:

Terenty

hold on, just gonna throw out my £3,000 gaming pc. what a waste of money! no reason for me to play games on this.

are you serious or just trying to troll?

some people actually care about how their games look/run.

Have you seen comparisons of rdr 2 on ps4 and high end PC in this very thread? You are telling me its worth £ 3000?

GymWolf

yeah, why bother with real 4k and 60+ frames when you can play at 1080p30 frame with shitty iq on console...

ultrazilla

I'm not getting anything near 60fps. I'm getting between 30fps up to mid 40fps. Anyone can trouble shoot me? I'm of the belief that
my cpu i7-7700 is bottlenecking my graphics card. Could my monitor be doing that as well? Thanks!

Acer XFA240 1080p/144hz freesync monitor(running in game resolution at 1440p) 16 gig ddr 4 ram, i7-7700, Nvidia GTX 2080 Founder's Edition 8 gig, all drivers up to date. As for settings, here are my settings:

cOFFYlY.jpg

hek8Bye.jpg

QVUDeKL.jpg

hGJr9kU.jpg

Seems to be hit and miss. I played for hours with no issues. I know a lot of people couldn’t even get it to launch.

Because it runs at 4K 30 on a $400 console and in many ways looks almost exactly the same while that is a $1,200 GPU in a $3,000+ system which should computationally outperform it by leaps and bounds.

The end result is you either get a game that looks just like it does on the X at 60 FPS or you get it where it looks mostly the same with some marketable improvements at the same 30 FPS...

yeshrug.png

It doesnt run at max settings on any console.

Loke

I really hope they can fix the performance issues and crashes in the online mode soon; they're killing off my patience fast.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Nope. It would have been a surprise if it didn't have issues.

A whole year later than the console versions and Rockstar still couldn't get the game optimised for PC.

They even took money from Epic to keep the game off Steam for a limited time period.

The whole thing stinks of cash grab.

pawel86ck

Banned
RDR2 has amazing vistas, nice foliage and depicts the realistic nature element well, but it also has lots of low rez textures and character models are not it's strong suit.....It's definitely not on Horizon Zero Dawn's level in terms of overall graphics and consistency.......I mean the game runs well enough on PRO and XBONEX at 30fps, so it's strange that such expensive GPU's are struggling so much, even with some graphical enhancements. In all other games, you can even max out AF and slide up some settings or in cases get 1440p 60fps on an RX 580, even at times when XBONEX is 30fps with dynamic resolution.....

PRO was never optimized like XBONEX, but maybe Rockstar has an issue with optimizing for many different PC's and configs altopgether, Vulkan + DX12 etc....
I havent played RDR2, but I do own Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4P and graphics compromises are everywhere. Grass is sometimes loading in front of you, and blurry textures are very frequent. I have really no idea why so many people consider Horizon the best looking game on PS4, because Uncharted 4 looks way better.

Last edited:

juanjocerero

Neo Member
Good thing I didn't finish Disco Elysium yet. Not really in a rush to play, specially after reading about all the problems with the 1080Ti. Seems like in recent years a lot of these triple A titles end up not really being a good deal for most PC gamers that just want to play and not get frustrated at the quality of the ports; Arkham Knight, which I had to uninstall out of pure frustration after tweaking its settings and modifying config files for days, also comes to mind. It gets to be a bit tiring.

Last edited:
Top Bottom