• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 and Grand Theft Auto 4 DESTROYS Cyberpunk 2077

martino

Unfortunately, this sentence is also destroyed by bad grammar.
tumblr_n704k6qnzH1smcbm7o1_250.gif

This is where the argument fails hard. I don't want a Rockstar open world. Absolutely not. But absolutely bog standard AI and almost non interactive world makes drags the whole game down. Nothing feels real. Once you stray away from scripted missions the game falls apart.

Also CDPR said your actions will make your open world experience different and potentially dangerous. I've played the game for 55 hours and haven't seen anything like it except scripted parts. I enjoyed it but one would expect the open world to be better than TW3, it's been 5 years since it came out after all. It's ok to expect better, especially when CDPR hyped it up to the moon saying 'Next-Gen Open World' experience and stuff.

These are facts.

Doesn't change how amazing the game can be when you're playing the main or story focused side missions, but the game is really archaic in terms of "open world" gameplay.

Kadayi

Banned
Last edited:

waquzy

8ElAST8.gif

LOL. You know Tags are given right?
Oh sorry my bad, I wasn’t aware of that.

It’s just that I don’t spend my whole day on here writing long essays, spitting lies and reporting posts you little rat! Try removing CDPR’s gunk out of your holes, it might make you think more before you post rubbish next time!

Kadayi

Banned
Oh sorry my bad, I wasn’t aware of that.

It’s just that I don’t spend my whole day on here writing long essays, spitting lies and reporting posts you little rat! Try removing CDPR’s gunk out of your holes, it might make you think more before you post rubbish next time!

645 posts in less than 2 months....

Unfortunately, this sentence is also destroyed by bad grammar.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

waquzy

645 posts in less than 2 months....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Don’t worry it’s not going to go higher at this rate, it’s just been exciting few months with the launches of 2 next gen consoles and one of the most hyped game of the generation CP 2077, so a lot to talk/post about...

I’m sure your persistent stalking of me and reporting my posts will have me locked out of even more threads. Isn’t that right mr. PC?!

Hugare

I remember when RDR2 was criticized for all those details. They were accused of putting realism before fun.
Because now people has a dead horse to beat

Those details are cool, but as said before in here, they dont make a videogame fun to play

Sometimes I boot RDR 2 forthe virtual tourism, not because I want to play it. The actual gameplay is shit.

Shooting feels like shit, mission design is bad, even moving has terrible delay due to animation priority.

waylo

Banned
I bought RDR2 when I got my 3080. The game is absolutely gorgeous. That aside, it's really not a ton of fun to play. It's boring as fuck and the mission structure is just literally every other Rockstar game.

Cyberpunk on the other hand is gorgeous and incredibly fun to play. And the story is pretty damn good.

So yeah, both pretty games, however one is actually fun and engaging and the other is a snoozefest.

THEAP99

Banned
I always see people giving Rockstar shit for red dead 2's gameplay, but I think the gameplay is pretty great. The gameplay is very immersive and a lot better than gta 5's or cyberpunks or even all other open-world games.

Here's an excerpt from this video:

When I talk about gameplay what comes to mind is combat and movement but think of a grand strategy games, there are no such systems outside of extremely basic win or lose combat scenarios. Yet they are considered games, which means they must have gameplay - this is obvious but I need to clarify what the gameplay is and how gameplay just isn't movement or combat.
Gameplay is how you interact with the ruleset you've been given. So when I talk to a random stranger, accidentially pull my gun out, get into a fight, then rush down to a river and dump the body - I call that excellent gameplay. If gameplay is how you interact with the world kind of like highly immersive rule set then the dynamism present in rockstar games is still gameplay and that puts it leagues above the vast majority of other open world games.
You see train in the distance, you can go to it, rob that train, stop it, loot the safe, take the passengers jewlery, deal with the guards and the patrol, that comes after. That patrol can chase you for miles in which you may lose a horse and steal another, hide, you can take the fight into a town which will get civilians killed or provide a more managable zone to execute your pursuers. Other notable things you can do is rob carriges or horses to either take and sell as your own or loot.
What's special about Rockstar open worlds is that all the systems are combined to provide memorable experiences dynamically - in that they're not scripted. Meaning that no chase will feel the same being almost a different experience each time - and when those experiences are reliably fun (which they are) - you get an endlessly enjoyable gaming sandbox.
And at the end of the day, Cyberpunk is a game in which choices should matter and change the world, but they really don't and aren't dynamic. It ultimately underwhelms.

I remember when RDR2 was criticized for all those details. They were accused of putting realism before fun.

Shhh, don't do that. You're expecting people to be consistent with their criticisms. GTA IV is a masterpiece all of a sudden yet was shit on greatly by a very large number of people at release.

When we have GTAs from past gens beating easy Cyberpunk, just imagine what Red Dead Redemption 2 does.
lol and remember when folks liked to shout that CDPR was at or above Rockstar just because of 1 game?

CDPR does subjectively best Rockstar in many ways. Character development, narrative, dialogue choices, combat, sound design, guns, and quests. Cyberpunk destroys every single GTA game in terms of shooting, gun animations and gun sounds. And it was their first crack at it! Rockstar has had literally decades to improve the shooting yet they've barely improved from GTA 3 to RDR 2.

Not really hard to destroy Cyberpunk when it comes to open world attention /detail /care. Saints row 1 probably destroys it

Jesus, another hot garbage take. If you're saying Cyberpunk isn't packed to the gills with attention, detail and world building, you're either blind, a goddamn fool or a combination of both. Saint's Row 1? Oh lawd. Really scraping the bottom of the barrel for unjustified comparisons. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Red Dead Redemption 2 is literally the benchmark by a mile in so many categories.

Open world map.
Story.
Characters.
Voice acting.
Visuals.
Soundtrack.
Small details.
How alive the world feels.
Animations.

God knows what else, no wonder it destroys CP77 (which I also loved by the way). RDR2 is by far the greatest video game I’ve ever played.

Some of those, I can agree. Many of those, I have to highly disagree. Up until the Red Dead games, GTA protagonists, while very fun and enjoyable in their own way, are one note, have always been cliched characters with next to no development. Rockstar does voice actor casting very well as does CDPR.

Visuals? :messenger_tears_of_joy: Nah. Debatable at best.
Soundtrack? Nah again.
Characters? Nope again. Both have excellent characters
Story? Maybe if you've never watched a Western before. It's story, just like the previous RDR and every GTA game, lifts nearly everything wholesale from movies.

No need to keep going down the checklist as it's really all just personal preference. Enjoy what you want.
It takes literally 30 seconds to realise that even GTA IV > Cyberpunk in terms of dynamics and mechanics.

Lol. No, just no. This sudden revision of everything people complained about in GTA IV is baffling yet hilarious.

Yeah, it's only getting praised now because Cyberpunk lacks both realism and fun.

Lacks realism and fun? Now you're just making stuff up, didn't play the game or it simply wasn't your cup of tea. To say it lacks both of those is a hot garbage take.

It's hidden because the poor state of the game is the primary focus for complaints.
Plays just fine on PC and is a visual and gameplay treat. Excuse me while my decades of experience with (yes, indeed) broken worse than Cyberpunk PC console ports and I bathe in the salty tears of console players.

Shhh, don't do that. You're expecting people to be consistent with their criticisms. GTA IV is a masterpiece all of a sudden yet was shit on greatly by a very large number of people at release.

CDPR does subjectively best Rockstar in many ways. Character development, narrative, dialogue choices, combat, sound design, guns, and quests. Cyberpunk destroys every single GTA game in terms of shooting, gun animations and gun sounds. And it was their first crack at it! Rockstar has had literally decades to improve the shooting yet they've barely improved from GTA 3 to RDR 2.

Jesus, another hot garbage take. If you're saying Cyberpunk isn't packed to the gills with attention, detail and world building, you're either blind, a goddamn fool or a combination of both. Saint's Row 1? Oh lawd. Really scraping the bottom of the barrel for unjustified comparisons. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Some of those, I can agree. Many of those, I have to highly disagree. Up until the Red Dead games, GTA protagonists, while very fun and enjoyable in their own way, are one note, have always been cliched characters with next to no development. Rockstar does voice actor casting very well as does CDPR.

Visuals? :messenger_tears_of_joy: Nah. Debatable at best.
Soundtrack? Nah again.
Characters? Nope again. Both have excellent characters
Story? Maybe if you've never watched a Western before. It's story, just like the previous RDR and every GTA game, lifts nearly everything wholesale from movies.

No need to keep going down the checklist as it's really all just personal preference. Enjoy what you want.

Lol. No, just no. This sudden revision of everything people complained about in GTA IV is baffling yet hilarious.

Lacks realism and fun? Now you're just making stuff up, didn't play the game or it simply wasn't your cup of tea. To say it lacks both of those is a hot garbage take.

Plays just fine on PC and is a visual and gameplay treat. Excuse me while my decades of experience with (yes, indeed) broken worse than Cyberpunk PC console ports and I bathe in the salty tears of console players.

it's a buggy mess on PC too mate.

The only impressive thing about the game is the scale and intrecacy of night city. Everything else falls between bad to serviceable, with some good stuff mixed in

Last edited:

Mozzarella

They made another video before this one about Witcher 3 Destroying Cyberpunk too, so we can't claim they are biased for Rockstar against CDPR.

I think their video is just unprofessional.

Night.Ninja

Banned
Red dead 2 is just not enjoyable to play, I would rather watch paint dry.

Its an open world liner game, you stray just a touch of what they want you to do and it's a failed mission.

Rockstar were better of making it into a movie, because its not enjoyable to play constantly feels like you stuck in tar. It's just an interactive movie when you think about it.

Thank god for game pass I would have been pissed if I spent money on it.

Red Dead 2 is just not fun.

Last edited:
it's a buggy mess on PC too mate.

The only impressive thing about the game is the scale and intrecacy of night city. Everything else falls between bad to serviceable, with some good stuff mixed in
Not in the least if you've ever played an open world game at release....like RDR2, H:ZD, nearly every Ubisoft game, etc etc. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Not in the least if you've ever played an open world game at release....like RDR2, H:ZD, nearly every Ubisoft game, etc etc. We'll have to agree to disagree.

None of those games were as buggy as Cyberpunk at launch with the exception of like Assassin's Creed unity lol

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Horizon was just an unoptimised PC port that needed some quick patching.

Cyberpunk is an undercooked game across the board.

Across the board? Nah. Definitely needs some work in key areas, but it's a damn good game already with a great foundation should they continue to improve upon it.

Roni

Gold Member

When comparing Cyberpunk 2077 to CD Projekt RED's earlier success, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, it's easy to see how the latter trumps the former's immersion. It's a shame since the developer touted this to be a much deeper role-playing experience and even “that one last, big, exceptional looking title” for previous-gen hardware. But what if we compare it to Red Dead Redemption 2, the current benchmark in open world immersion, regardless of console generation?

Well, obviously Red Dead Redemption 2 wins out but it's still fun to see all the ways that it immerses the player and where Cyberpunk 2077 falls short. Let's take a look at 10 ways how Red Dead Redemption 2 destroys Cyberpunk 2077 as far as world immersion is concerned.

People need to learn how to play RPG's.

harmny

Banned
I remember RDR2 supposedly had a lot of issues on PC as well.
Yeah I had a lot of issues with rdr2. No crazy visual glitches but potato textures no matter what I did. performance was horrible and I had 3 crashes and 4 quest breaking bugs. Worse than cyberpunk for me. Except I had many visual bugs in cyberpunk but no crashes and no broken quests except for the no reward cyberpsychos.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Yeah I had a lot of issues with rdr2. No crazy visual glitches but potato textures no matter what I did. performance was horrible and I had 3 crashes and 4 quest breaking bugs. Worse than cyberpunk for me. Except I had many visual bugs in cyberpunk but no crashes and no broken quests except for the no reward cyberpsychos.
so you did then.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is literally the benchmark by a mile in so many categories.

Open world map.
Story.
Characters.
Voice acting.
Visuals.
Soundtrack.
Small details.
How alive the world feels.
Animations.

God knows what else, no wonder it destroys CP77 (which I also loved by the way). RDR2 is by far the greatest video game I’ve ever played.
Yep.

Red Dead 2 is more well rounded and polished as well.
Cyberpunk does have amazing story and quest design as well but overall as a package it falls woefully short of Rockstar best.

DeaDPo0L84

One is really immersive but boring as fuck to play, one is less immersive but fun as fuck to play, I know which I'll go with every single time.

MiguelItUp

I still don't quite understand these comparisons. One title is developed by company that knows open-world VERY well, basically like the back of their hand. The other, this is the first kind of game like this for them. A largely ambitious project for them across the board. I feel like those differences alone don't really make it fair to honestly compare the two. Sure, there are comparisons in the type of game they are as they're both open-world, but man there's no comparison in terms of overall polish and functionality. I mean, just looking at what R* has done with AI pedestrians moving around, flow of traffic, and law enforcement systems across all their titles compared to what CP:2077 is vastly superior.

acm2000

ive just started RDR2 last night after 80+ hours in Cyberpunk and im already a bit bored, literally at the beginning doing the first quests hunting the 2 deer, capturing the o'drisscal guy and theres just so much of nothing, gunplay isnt fun either so far.

would be a bit better if the first person mode actually worked well but rockstar always mess that up too.

Top Bottom