• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 and Grand Theft Auto 4 DESTROYS Cyberpunk 2077

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

When comparing Cyberpunk 2077 to CD Projekt RED's earlier success, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, it's easy to see how the latter trumps the former's immersion. It's a shame since the developer touted this to be a much deeper role-playing experience and even “that one last, big, exceptional looking title” for previous-gen hardware. But what if we compare it to Red Dead Redemption 2, the current benchmark in open world immersion, regardless of console generation?

Well, obviously Red Dead Redemption 2 wins out but it's still fun to see all the ways that it immerses the player and where Cyberpunk 2077 falls short. Let's take a look at 10 ways how Red Dead Redemption 2 destroys Cyberpunk 2077 as far as world immersion is concerned.

Thanks mods for the title change

Thank U GIF by Amanda

Last edited:

Spokker

Years ago I was raging against walking simulators and other non-game games. Today I would rather just walk around RDR2 than actually play its boring and hand-holding story missions.

I literally just fire up the game every now and than and simulate an in-game day. Okay, wake up, head to the general store, go fishing, ride the train, get drunk, punch a war widow and then go to sleep. All in a day's work.

cryptoadam

Banned
CDPR just didn't have the talent+time+money to keep up with the open world big boys. They also over promised on what they could deliever, which goes back to the talent+time+money thing.

The game shouldn't have been sold as a open world game though. That was CDPRs mistake saying this will be the most immersive open world game.

The open world is just there to give you some side missions and move you around the world.

MarlboroRed

I feel the unsung hero of RDR2s perceived immersion are the defuse/escalate responses Arthur can give to just about everyone he comes across. It's something I now crave in every open-world game, at least those that want to have the world feel alive.

harmny

Banned
two completely different games. one is a sandbox the other is an action adventure rpg

also Rockstar mission design:
mission failed - you turned right
mission failed - you ran too fast
mission failed - you ran too slow
mission failed - you shot twice instead of once
mission failed - you walked too slow
mission failed - you farted too loud

yeah no thanks.

Last edited:
When we have GTAs from past gens beating easy Cyberpunk, just imagine what Red Dead Redemption 2 does.
lol and remember when folks liked to shout that CDPR was at or above Rockstar just because of 1 game?

harmny

Banned
I remember when RDR2 was criticized for all those details. They were accused of putting realism before fun.

yeah well. that's the internet for you.

When we have GTAs from past gens beating easy Cyberpunk, just imagine what Red Dead Redemption 2 does.
lol and remember when folks liked to shout that CDPR was at or above Rockstar just because of 1 game?

not in open world interaction... the witcher 3 was as static as it gets. of course nobody cared because the game didn't have cars or guns. in missions? they destroy rockstar. but again. different games. rockstar isn't even trying to make the quests the way cdpr does and cdpr isn't even trying to make the open world the way rockstar does it.

Last edited:
cdpr isn't even trying to make the open world the way rockstar does it
This is where the argument fails hard. I don't want a Rockstar open world. Absolutely not. But absolutely bog standard AI and almost non interactive world makes drags the whole game down. Nothing feels real. Once you stray away from scripted missions the game falls apart.

Also CDPR said your actions will make your open world experience different and potentially dangerous. I've played the game for 55 hours and haven't seen anything like it except scripted parts. I enjoyed it but one would expect the open world to be better than TW3, it's been 5 years since it came out after all. It's ok to expect better, especially when CDPR hyped it up to the moon saying 'Next-Gen Open World' experience and stuff.

Last edited:

harmny

Banned
This is where the argument fails hard. I don't want a Rockstar open world. Absolutely not. But absolutely bog standard AI and almost non interactive world makes drags the whole game down. Nothing feels real. Once you stray away from scripted missions the game falls apart.

Also CDPR said your actions will make your open world experience different and potentially dangerous. I've played the game for 55 hours and haven't seen anything like it except scripted parts. I enjoyed it but one would expect the open world to be better than TW3, it's been 5 years since it came out after all. It's ok to expect better, especially when CDPR hyped it up to the moon saying 'Next-Gen Open World' experience and stuff.

Why would they do something different if they did the same thing in tw3 and everybody loved that world. I mean, Rockstar has been doing the same game for more than decade and everybody loves them too

Last edited:

Certinty

Red Dead Redemption 2 is literally the benchmark by a mile in so many categories.

Open world map.
Story.
Characters.
Voice acting.
Visuals.
Soundtrack.
Small details.
How alive the world feels.
Animations.

God knows what else, no wonder it destroys CP77 (which I also loved by the way). RDR2 is by far the greatest video game I’ve ever played.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
water is wet
Water's not wet, by the very definition of the word “wet,” water physically cannot be wet.

Liquid water is not itself wet, but can make other solid materials wet.

Wetness is the ability of a liquid to adhere to the surface of a solid
, so when we say that something is wet, we mean that the liquid is sticking to the surface of a material.

Whether an object is wet or dry depends on a balance between cohesive and adhesive forces. Cohesive forces are attractive forces within the liquid that cause the molecules in the liquid to prefer to stick together. Cohesive forces are also responsible for surface tension. If the cohesive forces are very strong, then the liquid molecules really like to stay close together and they won't spread out on the surface of an object very much. On the contrary, adhesive forces are the attractive forces between the liquid and the surface of the material. If the adhesive forces are strong, then the liquid will try and spread out onto the surface as much as possible. So how wet a surface is depends on the balance between these two forces. If the adhesive forces (liquid-solid) are bigger than the cohesive forces (liquid-liquid), we say the material becomes wet, and the liquid tends to spread out to maximize contact with the surface. On the other hand, if the adhesive forces (liquid-solid) are smaller than the cohesive forces (liquid-liquid), we say the material is dry, and the liquid tends to bead-up into a spherical drop and tries to minimize the contact with the surface.

Water actually has pretty high cohesive forces due to hydrogen bonding, and so is not as good at wetting surfaces as some liquids such as acetone or alcohols. However, water does wet certain surfaces like glass for example. Adding detergents can make water better at wetting by lowering the cohesive forces . Water resistant materials such as Gore-tex fabric is made of material that is hydrophobic (water repellent) and so the cohesive forces within the water (liquid-liquid) are much stronger than the adhesive force (liquid-solid) and water tends to bead-up on the outside of the material and you stay dry.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I love both games and they both are stunning and fun as hell on PC.

Last edited:
Why would they do something different if they did the same thing in tw3 and everybody loved that world. I mean, Rockstar has been doing the same game for more than decade and everybody loves them too
There's a difference between better and different. There's a ton of difference between GTAV and RDR2 even on a core level they're very similar.

SJRB

Gold Member
It takes literally 30 seconds to realise that even GTA IV > Cyberpunk in terms of dynamics and mechanics.

Isendurl

Water's not wet, by the very definition of the word “wet,” water physically cannot be wet.

Liquid water is not itself wet, but can make other solid materials wet.

Wetness is the ability of a liquid to adhere to the surface of a solid
, so when we say that something is wet, we mean that the liquid is sticking to the surface of a material.

Whether an object is wet or dry depends on a balance between cohesive and adhesive forces. Cohesive forces are attractive forces within the liquid that cause the molecules in the liquid to prefer to stick together. Cohesive forces are also responsible for surface tension. If the cohesive forces are very strong, then the liquid molecules really like to stay close together and they won't spread out on the surface of an object very much. On the contrary, adhesive forces are the attractive forces between the liquid and the surface of the material. If the adhesive forces are strong, then the liquid will try and spread out onto the surface as much as possible. So how wet a surface is depends on the balance between these two forces. If the adhesive forces (liquid-solid) are bigger than the cohesive forces (liquid-liquid), we say the material becomes wet, and the liquid tends to spread out to maximize contact with the surface. On the other hand, if the adhesive forces (liquid-solid) are smaller than the cohesive forces (liquid-liquid), we say the material is dry, and the liquid tends to bead-up into a spherical drop and tries to minimize the contact with the surface.

Water actually has pretty high cohesive forces due to hydrogen bonding, and so is not as good at wetting surfaces as some liquids such as acetone or alcohols. However, water does wet certain surfaces like glass for example. Adding detergents can make water better at wetting by lowering the cohesive forces . Water resistant materials such as Gore-tex fabric is made of material that is hydrophobic (water repellent) and so the cohesive forces within the water (liquid-liquid) are much stronger than the adhesive force (liquid-solid) and water tends to bead-up on the outside of the material and you stay dry.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I love both games and they both are stunning and fun as hell on PC.

2m0s2q.jpg

I think that's enough internet for you today, buddy.

RDR2 is a great game but people only seem to be appreciating it now that there is another game to dump on.

Exactly, what I was thinking. When it came out, 75% of the talk about it on forums was negative and picked apart every flaw they could come up with. Now the mob wants to tear down the next big thing, so Red Dead Redemption 2 is used as the example of how to do it right.

harmny

Banned
There's a difference between better and different. There's a ton of difference between GTAV and RDR2 even on a core level they're very similar.
Well there is a ton of difference between witcher and cyberpunk too. many improvements too. Just not in the npc department.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I liked them both just fine but it's hard to make a straight up comparison between the two. RDR2 has a great story but suffers from many of the archaic mechanics and lurching progression Rockstar is known for. Cyberpunk has a so-so story but is more easily jumped into and is more action oriented.

I mean damn they're really different experiences from a gameplay perspective.

Well there is a ton of difference between witcher and cyberpunk too. many improvements too. Just not in the npc department.
I wanna know in what ways. My impression from my 55 hours was the city looks fabulous, it's designed well enough too but world just isn't vertical enough. Scaling buildings by using double jumps is fine but where are the interiors. Street vendors and stalls are just for show. And you can't use flying vehicles which a bummer for me personally. They did say that won't present in the game, so that's fine but they did say there'll be a lot of interiors and floors in tall buildings to explore freely, not just in quests.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I wanna know in what ways. My impression from my 55 hours was the city looks fabulous, it's designed well enough too but world just isn't vertical enough. Scaling buildings by using double jumps is fine but where are the interiors. Street vendors and stalls are just for show. And you can't use flying vehicles which a bummer for me personally. They did say that won't present in the game, so that's fine but they did say there'll be a lot of interiors and floors in tall buildings to explore freely, not just in quests.
Well, the radio selection is 100% better in Cyberpunk 2077 than Witcher 3. And the gunplay. So there's that I guess.

Top Bottom