• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend Xbox backward compatibility games

Soodanim

Gold Member
We’ve been hearing some good things about the Xbox approach to backwards compatibility, but that’s a lot of games to sort through. If you were coming into the Xbox world for the first time, you wouldn’t know where to start.

What games would you suggest to someone that wanted to take advantage of the Xbox Series X’s backwards compatibility?

What games would you like to see benefit from performance boosts and/or auto-HDR?

This thread is a good example of a game that benefits from BC boosts:

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I assume you're speaking about Xbox 360. That said... I would recommend games that boost to 4K automatically.
-Ninja Gaiden Black (all OG Xbox games do, but this is the best one)
-Ninja Gaiden 2
-Skate 3
-Gears 2/3
-RDR
-Fallout 3
-Mirror's Edge
-Forza Horizon
-Final Fantasy XIII (ok the game is kind of ass but they did a great job with it, it really is more like a fresh One X port than BC)

I hope they can boost as many 4K games as possible. The Xbox 360 games really still do look fantastic.

Last edited:

Dane

Bayonetta, runs at 60 FPS with only minor dips to 55 FPS, its technically the best way to run in a console. Not enhanced.

Crackdown, it's just on the pure fun side, runs at 4K.

OG Xbox games run all at 960-1080p on One and 1920-2160p on One X (it's all due to their screen format) and on One X you get all the texture filtering upgrades that helps a lot.

BuntesFeuer

Neo Member
Seconding Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey and the original Prey here. Would like to add Enchanted Arms when it comes to JRPGs.
Condemned 1/2 would be really great to see with enhancements. I loved those games.

GTA4 and FFXV will both run at 60fps (console firsts) with HDR, would get both.

Definitely Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon for JRPGs. Would throw Resonance of Fate, Tales of Vesperia and Enchanted Arms in there if you like the genre too.

Banjo-Kazooei Nuts & Bolts looks fantastic with the auto HDR and Viva Pinata should do too. Get them.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Starting by the OG Xbox
- Ninja Gaiden
- Knights of the Old Republic
- Jade Empire
- Splinter Cell
- Halo 1 and 2
- Soul Calibur II

Xbox 360
- Ninja Gaiden 2
- all Platinum games
- Mass Effect Trilogy
- Halo 3
- Alan Wake
- Gears trilogy
- Red Dead Redemption
- Street Fighter IV
- Banjo Kazooie and Tooie

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Panzer Dragoon Orta
Radiant Silvergun
Lost Planet 2
Virtual On: Ontorio Tangram
Daytona USA
Ace Combat 6
Metal Gear HD Collection + Rising Revengeance
Strania
Guardian Heroes
Ninja Gaiden Black + II
Virtua Fighter 5 Final Evolution

That lineup is ridiculous.

GTA4 and FFXV will both run at 60fps (console firsts) with HDR, would get both.

Definitely Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon for JRPGs. Would throw Resonance of Fate, Tales of Vesperia and Enchanted Arms in there if you like the genre too.

Banjo-Kazooei Nuts & Bolts looks fantastic with the auto HDR and Viva Pinata should do too. Get them.

GTA4 at 60 fps is buggy though. When I last played it the bike physics were all messed up until I capped it at 50 fps. The bike would slip out at the slightest turns. Will they add a 30-50 fps locking option?

GTA4 at 60 fps is buggy though. When I last played it the bike physics were all messed up until I capped it at 50 fps. The bike would slip out at the slightest turns. Will they add a 30-50 fps locking option?

You're thinking One X. GTA4 runs locked, and smooth, at 60 on Series X though, watch DF Richard's breakdown.

Banned
-Ninja Gaiden Black, runs at 1920p at 60 fps and looks amazing.

-Ninja Gaiden 2, runs at 1755p and the framerate drops the original 360 had are basically all eliminated.

-GRAW 1&2, these games have no enhanced patch, but due to some weird glitch hat disables the vsync of the original code, the once 30fps locked games become unlocked, and even on One X the games already run close to 60fps, on Series X they should run at a completely locked 60.

-Mirror's Edge, this one runs at a full 4K, it sadly has a 30 fps lock in place, hopefully Microsoft's BC team will unlock this, BUT it supports HDR natively and looks amazing in 4K HDR. this is not the auto HDR AI thing the Series X does, this is HDR the game's engine already supported simply unlocked to be taken advantage of.

and since we're talking Series X here, this means Xbox One games count here too.
and for those:

-Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, the game has a performance mode on Pro and One X, but it has a terrible performance either way. the Series X will push this game most likely to an almost locked 60fps, and the game is amazing if it wasn't for the abysmal framerate and stutters.

-Hitman 2, put it into graphics mode and unlock that framerate!

-Sekiro, 1800p, 60fps, amazing FromSoftware game, what more could one want? The game runs like ass on current systems, but Sekiro was already tested on Series X and basically locks to 60fps for the most part. I already played it on PC simply to avoid the terrible performance on current consoles.

Are they actively still taking suggestions? I thought the guy in charge of that left.

they stopped taking suggestions because the whole team was focusing on Series X compatibility, this is now almost done so the back compat program will most likely continue to grow

Last edited:

Komatsu

Panzer Dragoon Orta, Red Dead Redemption and Witcher 2 are amazing in 4K. The KotOR games are great as well.

Also, the Metal Gear Solid collection running on 1X BC’s compatibility layer is the best way of playing MGS2 and 3 nowadays.

Last edited:

Banned
Ive played the crap out of it but Forza Horizon 4 is still the game Im itching to load up first....

Horizon 4 will also get a full on Series X patch, so 4K60 at higher settings. I mostly played it on PC at 1440p ultra settings, so even for me that's gonna be an upgrade.

Bubba77

Horizon 4 will also get a full on Series X patch, so 4K60 at higher settings. I mostly played it on PC at 1440p ultra settings, so even for me that's gonna be an upgrade.
I mostly played on PC as well at 1440p, but I missed HDR. and my 4k hdr tv can finally be played at 60fps

I played it on PC. Did Rockstar create a patch for Series X? Or did they fix it when they made the The Complete Edition for PC?

I'm not sure, but it's fixed on Series X whatever happened. It was one of the few 360 games MS allowed journalists to play out of the gate so I suspect it was focused on specifically.

intbal

1kj2S5U.jpg

Not many of the Original Xbox games on the BC list were widescreen. This one was.
On the Xbox One X, it might as well be a 360 game.
If you have a potent sound system, it puts most movies to shame.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Also, the Metal Gear Solid collection running on 1X BC’s compatibility layer is the best playing MGS2 and 3 nowadays.
I didn’t think of that, even with MGS2 on PC this as a release is arguably better even without 3 included. The value of BC shows itself for these top tier titles that otherwise get left behind
1kj2S5U.jpg

Not many of the Original Xbox games on the BC list were widescreen. This one was.
On the Xbox One X, it might as well be a 360 game.
If you have a potent sound system, it puts most movies to shame.

Didn't they use Black as one of the BC showcase games for OG? Says a lot for how they’ve got it to run.
Sonic generation is 4k 60 fps
Always annoyed me that it’s capped at 60 on PC, but this should be buttery smooth. If auto HDR works it should be a very pretty game

Xenon

Too human is free, plus it runs and looks much better. I think it's enhanced.

Even though New Vegas and Dark Souls are not enhanced both were great on the Xbox1/1X

TeKtheSanE

I just want to play the Biohazard remaster and Biohazard Zero remaster again, wonder if XsX auto-hdr does anything for those games.

Or Biohazard Code Veronica if we want to go older bc.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
OG Assassins' creed. Really interesting game and looks Great in BC, has 4k, improved shadows and forced the highest quality LODs

DustQueen

Banned
Do not know if it was recommended here but... The Darkness.
This is the game made to appreciate BC push for Xbox.
No PC version or remaster exists, only PS360 versions n this is one hell of the game from developers who later on went to reboot Wolfenstein n then later turned rebooted Wolf into woke thash with it's sequel, but The Darkness is their magnum opus. Just fucking great. And Gustav Grefberg ost is just what your ears need if u miss quality music with some real character to it

Last edited:
Top Bottom