• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me just ONE Pokemon game

jigglet

Banned
Sword and Shield, haters be damned.

It looks great, it has a bunch of QoL improvements, and you can play it on the big screen.

People only hate it cause they wanted it to be the BoTW of Pokemon games. In isolation, and without those expectations, it's a fantastic game.

MrA

Banned
51WRVroPz7L._SX385_.jpg
81F+Uq-7kCL._SX385_.jpg
s-l500.jpg
81sum2bqWsL._SX385_.jpg
solid advice, but remember to add the warning, there will be dong chariots

Banned
and you can play it on the big screen.

you can play literally every Pokemon game on the big screen... and I'm not only talking about emulation here. you can play every GameBoy game using officially released hardware like the Super Gameboy, Super Gameboy 2, the N64 Transfer Pack or the GameCube Gameboy Player.

and all the newer ones are of course... emulatable

jigglet

Banned
you can play literally every Pokemon game on the big screen... and I'm not only talking about emulation here. you can play every GameBoy game using officially released hardware like the Super Gameboy, Super Gameboy 2, the N64 Transfer Pack or the GameCube Gameboy Player.

and all the newer ones are of course... emulatable

What about the DS / 3DS games?

And I just read he doesn't even have a Switch, which would seem the most likely console you'd have if you want to play Nintendo games. If he doesn't have a Switch I doubt he's going to be battling collectors on eBay to pickup a Super Gameboy or Gameboy Player.

Last edited:

e0n

It's Black 2/White 2 for gameplay/animations. HG/SS if you just dislike the new monsters and want that classic moment everyone talks about.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
HeartGold or SoulSilver, the gen2 remakes. They still haven't been beaten.

Kumomeme

completely agree with Pokemon Crystal/Gold/Silver recomendation here

Even the NDS remake version of HeartGold/Soulsilver also very great

personally, best pokemon game.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Pokemon-Heart-Gold-Soul-Silver.jpg

It's almost impossible for me to remove the nostalgia I have for the original release of these, but IMO Gold/Silver are still the quintessential Pokemon experience and the DS remakes are a great way to play them.
IMO Jhoto and Kanto are still some of the best regions and the number of Pokemon was still low enough that the designs are consistently good (for the most part). I also appreciate how they were still mostly light on story as opposed to some of the newer games which make you sit through their awful storylines.

With that said some of the newer titles have some welcome quality of life improvements like no random encounters and no need for HM slaves (essentially a pokemon you have to keep around because it has many needed traversal skills)
this is the only right answer. best gen, great remake.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I don't know how much you know, so to give you a brief rundown of major changes in the series:

GB(C)
  • Gen 1 - Green/Red/Blue/Yellow
    • Very buggy
      • No need to play these
  • Gen 2 - Gold/Silver/Crystal
    • Adds Dark and Steel types, balancing the types and giving variety
    • Post-game includes the entire first game's map
GBA
  • Gen 3 - Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
    • Adds Abilities: innate perks that have some sort of effect (stronger punch moves, faster in rain, etc)
  • Gen 1 - Fire Red/Leaf Green
    • Remake of the originals with upgrades up to that point
DS
  • Gen 4 - Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (DS)
    • Touch screen menus (not forced)
    • Attacks are now clearly either Physical or Special (or other) as well as their given type
  • Gen 2 - Heart Gold/Soul Silver (DS)
    • Again, remakes with upgrades
    • Lots of post-game content, including legendaries from other generations
  • Gen 5 - Black/White (DS)
    • No old monsters until you finish the main game. Probably less novelty there to a newcomer.
    • Reusable TMs, which is a fantastic change
  • Gen 5 - Black 2/White 2 (DS)
    • Includes Easy and Challenge modes
    • More regional Pokemon than BW1
3DS
  • Gen 6 - X/Y
    • 3D, for better or worse
    • Adds the Fairy type
    • Adds Mega evolutions: temporary bonus evolutions limited to certain pokemon, and only one per trainer per battle
  • Gen 3 - Alpha Ruby/Omega Sapphire
    • Another remake, but their remakes are all good
    • A lot of post-game content, you'll see more legendaries than you know what to do with
  • Gen 7 - Sun/Moon
    • I hope you like low framerates
    • Classic 8 gym system replaced entirely with each island having a trial
    • Post-game has lots of strange, other dimension pokemon
    • Ditches Mega Evolution (a common theme with this series, good ideas are often abandoned)
    • Adds Z Moves: instead of upgrading a pokemon, you upgrade a move once per battle
  • Gen 7 - Ultra Sun/Moon
    • I dunno, S/M was not good so I quit the series

Pokemon Crystal Clear, hands down. It's a rom hack that combines Red/Blue and Gold/Silver into one open world game where you can challenge any 16 Gym leaders in any order that'll get stronger and more strategic the more badges you get. All 251 Pokemon over the two regions, 15 different starters, quality of life updates, added side quests and stories, and you can play it on your phone, PC, etc. It's not just some fan made story, it's literally the two games smashed into one with amazing stuff added.

If you're not wanting rom hacks? I'd say play Pokemon Red. It's charming and nostalgic and just had it's own vibe I haven't seen in many other games.
If it's an option available to you, will be the route I recommend. ROM hacks give you QoL upgrades the main series sometimes never got, and remove the duality of two games and everything that comes with that (like trading to evolve).

If you can't play a ROM hack: Black/White (maybe 2, I haven't played it but it's allegedly one of if not the best in the series)
If you can play a ROM hack, I'd go with Gen 3 or Gen 5:
Gen 3 hack: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1991/
Gen 5 hack: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4575/

Edit: originally put the wrong link for Gen 3 hack, instead putting a link to a Fire Red hack

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
Colosseum is the coolest, but other than that they're all basically the same. The older ones have fewer annoying characters and tutorials.

CeeJay

Gotta play em all™

Just play any one of the coloured version games on whichever device you have available

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Colosseum is the coolest, but other than that they're all basically the same. The older ones have fewer annoying characters and tutorials.
Colosseum has a great soundtrack and an interesting plot for a Pokemon game, but no routes and being so repetitive brings it down considerably.

engstra

I'd say Pokemon Yellow. I think the simplicity and focus of the originals is what make them the best. Don't really care for anything past the original 151.
If not a mainline Pokemon game then Pokemon Snap. I'd put that game on my top 10 games of all time.

Legitimately I would say try either Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire OR Heart Gold Soul Silver.

These games are a full package with good features and are seen as some of the most peak Pokemon has been in terms of Game quality.

Sword and Shield, haters be damned.

It looks great, it has a bunch of QoL improvements, and you can play it on the big screen.

People only hate it cause they wanted it to be the BoTW of Pokemon games. In isolation, and without those expectations, it's a fantastic game.
I thought people hated it because Dynamax was a busted mechanic on-tier with Gen 1 Psychic type and Gen 1 favorites were effectively made paid DLC.

Doczu

Ahit did any recommend the remasters of Gold/Silver? The DS entries.are a great first experience. Two continents, day/night and week tracker, radio, cellphones with contacts. Legendary battle with Ash/Red.

Shit is dope

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
pokemon tcg for gameboy

Finally, a man of taste. I made the same recommendation on the first page of thread.

I just don't get the interest in traditional pokemon games, but the TGC deck building & card battles are fantastic and full of strategic options / replayability.

tkscz

Heart Gold or Soul Silver.

Silver and Gold were meant to be the LAST pokemon games before it blew up in popularity. These two were the only ones, in my opinion, that felt like sequels. You get a main campaign PLUS an addition romp through the lands of the first gen games (Red, Blue, Green, Yellow) with a secret boss at the end. You get the re-challenge trainers for extra XP and money. Multiple pokeball selection and just enough pokemon to not feel overwhelmed. HG and SS just add additional gameplay elements that had been added to the games up to that point (abilities, mini-games etc...). You can play either one of those two and be done honestly.

HF2014

Go with Sword or Shield. Never played Pokemon games before, it was the game that hook me to the serie about a year ago. Dont listen to the hate, its fun and easy to play , compare to other game which can be harder.

Bridges

Black/White for the DS for sure.

Last game in the series before they introduced party-wide XP share and made the game on permanent easy mode. Completely original pokedex for the first and only time since the original game, lots of stuff to do in the post-game, arguably the best story in the series (though you shouldn't be playing these games for the story or you will be disappointed regardless), lots of interesting mechanics that never really returned like rotation battles... It's my personal favorite in the series and feels like the last truly great entry imo.

Barring that, can't go wrong with FireRed/LeafGreen on the Gameboy Advance. They're the superior remakes of the original (though LGP/LGE are fun in their own right) and give you a good sense of why people care about these games in the first place.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Heart Gold or Soul Silver.

Silver and Gold were meant to be the LAST pokemon games before it blew up in popularity. These two were the only ones, in my opinion, that felt like sequels. You get a main campaign PLUS an addition romp through the lands of the first gen games (Red, Blue, Green, Yellow) with a secret boss at the end. You get the re-challenge trainers for extra XP and money. Multiple pokeball selection and just enough pokemon to not feel overwhelmed. HG and SS just add additional gameplay elements that had been added to the games up to that point (abilities, mini-games etc...). You can play either one of those two and be done honestly.
Despite not recommending them in my post, they're definitely a great choice

Top Bottom