• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recent UE4 AAA release is not only causing problem for PC but for Xbox Series X and S as well manily CPU bottleneck problem.

Recent UE4 AAA release is not only causing problem for PC but for Xbox Series X and S as well.

I think it is related to DX12 and console has same problem that it utilizing 4 cores not 6 cores.

winjer

Gold Member
Maybe not so much a CPU bottleneck, but rather an API bottleneck.
Microsoft might be one of the biggest software companies in the world, but their software really sucks.
UWP sucks, the Windows Store sucks, Windows is full of bugs, DX12 is slow, and the Xbox App is a piece of crap almost of the level of Games for Windows Live.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Microsoft might be one of the biggest software companies in the world, but their software really sucks.
UWP sucks, the Windows Store sucks, Windows is full of bugs, DX12 is slow, and the Xbox App is a piece of crap almost of the level of Games for Windows Live.
Is DX12 slow or devs with a much lower level API (yet for Xbox a tad higher level than what they had with the GDK perhaps) are struggling mainly due to trying to target a gazillion of configurations?

winjer

Gold Member
Is DX12 slow or devs with a much lower level API (yet for Xbox a tad higher level than what they had with the GDK perhaps) are struggling mainly due to trying to target a gazillion of configurations?

They target an API, not individual PCs.

Darsxx82

I can't say it's not cause UE4-DX in part. But I have no doubt that the biggest cause is the lack of optimization time or even priorities. First those are screenshots of the launch of those games. Currently the performance in all of them has improved more than notably.

1-Calisto Protocol went from going to 25fps on average and without RT reflections to 30 fps blocked and RT (although more blurry) in less than 2 weeks. That only has one explanation and that is that it was launched without a minimum of optimization time.

2-Howarts Legacy. In this it is curious because, despite being launched in a worse state than the PS5 version, it was this one that received improvement patches and not XSX until patch 3, which is almost specific to XSX. The reason? I think it is clear and logical, the platform with the largest user base is prioritized. After that patch now the XSX version works at a stable 30fps and there are no more problems in the transitions.

3-Atomic Hearts is the same situation. The patches fixed serious framerate inconsistencies and many bugs in the XSX version that weren't in the rest. Now there is even 120fps mode.

Jedi Survivor is going to be the same. The fact is that the game is not properly optimized on any platform and it will take more time. But the summary is the same, lack of optimization time as the main cause.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They target an API, not individual PCs.
They develop, optimise, and test (dev loop) against individual PC’s else… well, you see GAF’s front page with PC ports lately ;)?

You bet we target Android and iOS API’s, but you bet we test them on a whole variety of devices and OS generations too, routinely working around bugs only happening in a subset of those. PC takes that and dials it up to 11.

Reactions: Rea
Jedi Survivor is exactly the same on PS5 - just a broken game don't read too much into it.

T59yiYv.jpg

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I wonder if that twitter account has thought that devs have just been shit this gen. How do games magically work after a month or so of patching?

Zathalus

If there was an API issue then these games would not be miraculously be fixed within a month of release. It's simply a matter of optimisation and nothing more.

T4keD0wN

Youre very right, but DX12 can be great (if used well, look at shadow of the tomb raider with different apis for example) and has many features, its just that they can totally botch it as we have seen with so many unreal engine 4 releases. DX12 should allow for better cpu utilization than 11.

Greater potential, but also far greater potential for disaster. The fact that unreal sucks so much at utilizing multiple threads so that we cant brute force it and IPC being the main thing that we can see performance increases in regards to cpu performance sucks, but thats probably on Epic.

In the end its the devs resposibility to get their software to run properly on platforms where they are selling it, otherwise they shouldnt expect to make money.
Its possible to make unreal engine 4 game runs well as we have seen before, but its very easy to fuck it up which is what ends up happening most of the time.

Last edited:
This screenshot showing loading stutter(look at the frametime spike), it's not what you think it is even you tried hard to cherry-pick exactly this moment.
So is the XSX one in OP and that is doing the rounds on Twitter that is supposedly showing the XSX is broken so thanks for proving my point.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Always and always DX12
I don't think so, how a lower level API runs worse then a higher level API? I think that mostly have to do with the additional amount of time and skills to properly utilize it in comparison to DX11, we can see how games get fixed later and they are just fine, if it was an API issue that wouldn't be possible.

Top Bottom