• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recap: The Value Of Xbox Game Pass Keeps Getting More Insane

Said it before, say it again... GamePass is a great deal if you’re already an Xbox or PC gamer. But I don’t see how it gets fresh people to buy into the ecosystem, given how expensive a PC or Xbox is to buy. And if your marketing strategy is only to retain existing customers, you will be in trouble quickly. Services don’t sell consoles, games do.
Thats the dumbest thing i've read in quite some time. Games sell consoles? What do you think gamepass is about? Games, hundreds of games, big AAA games, small indie games, 1st party exclusives launch day 1 on game pass etc... for an extremely cheap price.

The only issue with gamepass is people like me who like to own their games and have their physical library.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
They already are #1. The upcoming battle is ecosystem vs. ecosystem, not hardware unit sales vs. hardware unit sales. MS are heading into next-gen with a headstart. I hope that Sony doesn't notice. Sony fans certainly don't, as this forum proves.
So losing money in hopes of gaining a lot of subscribers and selling less hardware this generation means Xbox won?

Thats the dumbest thing i've read in quite some time. Games sell consoles? What do you think gamepass is about? Games, hundreds of games, big AAA games, small indie games, 1st party exclusives launch day 1 on game pass etc... for an extremely cheap price.

The only issue with gamepass is people like me who like to own their games and have their physical library.
Gamepass doesn't stop you from buying games though... doesn't it actually give you a 10% discount for the full purchase? I don't see the issue, you can either buy it on disc or digital, or just use gamepass and "rent" it for as long as you want it / is available.

They're still clearly giving you the choice seeing as the new Xbox has a disc drive.

So losing money in hopes of gaining a lot of subscribers and selling less hardware this generation means Xbox won?

Why is it hard to understand that your definition of winning is not the same as their version of winning? It's been said before that hardware sales is NOT the main money maker in the game industry, it's the software and services that make the bulk of profit. I don't know if you've noticed either but regardless of Gamepass being a thing on PC, Xbox games seem to be taking over the Steam store at full purchase price, even SoT done very well 2 years after release + on gamepass.

Gamepass is one piece of the pie, it's used more as a demo tool and from what we've been hearing, it does translate to more players and sales of the game overall.

Not sure why you're being pessimistic about what is a good thing.

Last edited:
If you buy Gamepass you're basically renting games and it devalues games IMO. I've seen many posts about people no longer buying games because they have the service
Have to disagree, now millions of people will get to try out these games that would not get the chance to. So this will put value into the studios and games not devalue them.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Gamepass doesn't stop you from buying games though... doesn't it actually give you a 10% discount for the full purchase? I don't see the issue, you can either buy it on disc or digital, or just use gamepass and "rent" it for as long as you want it / is available.

They're still clearly giving you the choice seeing as the new Xbox has a disc drive.

Why is it hard to understand that your definition of winning is not the same as their version of winning? It's been said before that hardware sales is NOT the main money maker in the game industry, it's the software and services that make the bulk of profit. I don't know if you've noticed either but regardless of Gamepass being a thing on PC, Xbox games seem to be taking over the Steam store at full purchase price, even SoT done very well 2 years after release + on gamepass.

Gamepass is one piece of the pie, it's used more as a demo tool and from what we've been hearing, it does translate to more players and sales of the game overall.

I don't think Gamepass is a good thing for the industry but time will tell

Well i just baught Ori Will of the Wisp for 30 bucks, when i could have gotten it pretty much free if i had a cheap gamepass subscription. I guess thats one of the down sides to owning games. Gamepass isn't an issue for me, it's just not for me is all. I fully understand its value.

Kerotan

I don't think a little over double what they have now is going to be Game Pass' peak. It only took 3 years with, compared to what is coming, a lackluster amount of exclusives. And going by your last paragraph, you're as casual as it gets so I can see why it wouldn't be much of a value for you. I don't know a single person that only spends $100 on games a year. Not sure how to get 15 games for $100 without a humble bundle deal lol
Have you seen the sales on playstation? Buying the likes of tomb raider, God of war, batman, assassins creed for under $10 it's easy to own games permanently without needing a sub service for temporary ownership.

And I actually but the games I want rather then spending my time playing all these ps now games I have access too but don't really want to play. My mate has NOW and he's completely burnt out of gaming. Basically ripping through games and now he's bored of it. I much prefer to just buy games cheap that I actually want.

Now and Pass will ultimately go up in price and you'll be tied into a sub forever if you want to play your back catalogue. It's a shitty situation.

They are not going to leave 60 plus million potential buyers behind. They will always make consoles.
I'm not so sure. They're likely going to sell these things at a loss for the first few years and the lower their sales the harder it is to reduce production costs. Xbox was constantly having its inventory cleared through fire sales this entire generation.

In the UK only 16% of gamers currently intend to buy and Xbox. If their sales drop this gen to let's say 30M and they're sold at a loss it's not good business. And if half of them 30M are subbed to a loss making gamepass what's the point.

Might as well just cut the hardware and hope gamepass takes off on the pc, mobile phones, TVs etc. And maybe beg Sony and Nintendo to support GP on their consoles, obviously in return for a 30% cut.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Gamepass pushers seem to value quantity more than quality, I've had the service a few times and man I rarely found anything on it that I wanted to play, it's either stuff I have already played or a bunch of garbage.
GamePass - Stack em' high, sell em' cheap ☺

Last edited:

DavidGzz

If you buy Gamepass you're basically renting games and it devalues games IMO. I've seen many posts about people no longer buying games because they have the service

I wonder if you also look down on people who buy games when they are $7 on Steam instead of $60. And those Humble bundles making a mockery of at least a dozen games at a time. Do you think there are forums where people argue about Spotify and Netflix devaluing shows and music? I have Game Pass and still bought Greedfall recently on Xbox. It was only $12.50 though.

My takeaway from seeing the thoughts and success of devs on Game Pass is that no one is twisting their arm to allow access to their games on PS Now or Game Pass. They are making money and seem to be happy about the arrangement. Gamers seem to be happy at the offerings enough to subscribe. I don't know what the problem is to be honest.

Have you seen the sales on playstation? Buying the likes of tomb raider, God of war, batman, assassins creed for under $10 it's easy to own games permanently without needing a sub service for temporary ownership.

And I actually but the games I want rather then spending my time playing all these ps now games I have access too but don't really want to play. My mate has NOW and he's completely burnt out of gaming. Basically ripping through games and now he's bored of it. I much prefer to just buy games cheap that I actually want.

Now and Pass will ultimately go up in price and you'll be tied into a sub forever if you want to play your back catalogue. It's a shitty situation.

I'm not so sure. They're likely going to sell these things at a loss for the first few years and the lower their sales the harder it is to reduce production costs. Xbox was constantly having its inventory cleared through fire sales this entire generation.

In the UK only 16% of gamers currently intend to buy and Xbox. If their sales drop this gen to let's say 30M and they're sold at a loss it's not good business. And if half of them 30M are subbed to a loss making gamepass what's the point.

Might as well just cut the hardware and hope gamepass takes off on the pc, mobile phones, TVs etc. And maybe beg Sony and Nintendo to support GP on their consoles, obviously in return for a 30% cut.

At launch of the XSX alone I will have 8 launch games on Game Pass to play. Most will be brand new and there is no way to get them on sale. If I were content with older games only I'd be subbed to Now.

Xbox One sold 50 million. Do you really thing XSX and XSS will sell less? There is no way MS is ready to stop selling consoles. The market isn't ready for streaming only and most of their fans will be playing on console next gen as well. I think they know what they are doing. I doubt Sony or Nintendo want GP on their systems or else MS may do it.

Last edited:

Freeman

Banned
Gamepass should just be recognized as a religion at this point.

But yes, Gamepass is the future, just like Stadia was the future last year.

If gamepass was that disruptive people would actually care about PSNow too since it isn't far behind and it's cheaper. A lot of the gamepass subs are people who coverted for 1$, you get the constant one or who months trial always going on and you also have AMD giving free months to pretty much anyone that buys one of their GPU or CPU.

Last edited:
Gamepass should just be recognized as a religion at this point.

But yes, Gamepass is the future, just like Stadia was the future last year.

If gamepass was that disruptive people would actually care about PSNow too since it isn't far behind and it's cheaper.

Gamepass and Stadia are completely different things. Stadia is just an overpriced streaming service(which MS has an answer to with Xcloud)Gamepass are games you download locally to your hardware.

PSNow isn't as good of a service for many reasons, thats why it's not caught on like gamepass.

azz0r

Banned
They already are #1. The upcoming battle is ecosystem vs. ecosystem, not hardware unit sales vs. hardware unit sales. MS are heading into next-gen with a headstart. I hope that Sony doesn't notice. Sony fans certainly don't, as this forum proves.
Oh dear.

PS4 (released in 2013): 108.9 million

Nintendo Switch (released in 2017): 52.48 million

Xbox One (released in 2013): 46.9 million (estimated)

If thats winning, I think Sonys happy losing.

Freeman

Banned
Gamepass and Stadia are completely different things. Stadia is just an overpriced streaming service(which MS has an answer to with Xcloud)Gamepass are games you download locally to your hardware.

PSNow isn't as good of a service for many reasons, thats why it's not caught on like gamepass.
Why isn't it good compared to gamepass? It hasn't caugth up because no one really cares that much, Sony isn't pushing it an allowing you to convert from your already paid PS+ or giving it away and it's also still restricted to a few countries.

Unless you overvalue new games regardless of quality I would say PSNow actually has the better games (or had overtime counting what got in and out already), if only Sony had PS3 BC this would be obvious to everybody.

Last edited:

Kerotan

I wonder if you also look down on people who buy games when they are $7 on Steam instead of $60. And those Humble bundles making a mockery of at least a dozen games at a time. Do you think there are forums where people argue about Spotify and Netflix devaluing shows and music? I have Game Pass and still bought Greedfall recently on Xbox. It was only $12.50 though.

My takeaway from seeing the thoughts and success of devs on Game Pass is that no one is twisting their arm to allow access to their games on PS Now or Game Pass. They are making money and seem to be happy about the arrangement. Gamers seem to be happy at the offerings enough to subscribe. I don't know what the problem is to be honest.

At launch of the XSX alone I will have 8 launch games on Game Pass to play. Most will be brand new and there is no way to get them on sale. If I were content with older games only I'd be subbed to Now.

Xbox One sold 50 million. Do you really thing XSX and XSS will sell less? There is no way MS is ready to stop selling consoles. The market isn't ready for streaming only and most of their fans will be playing on console next gen as well. I think they know what they are doing. I doubt Sony or Nintendo want GP on their systems or else MS may do it.
Of course it will sell less. It seems to be flopping before it's even launched. Only 16% of gamers are interested in it vs 84% for the ps5. There was a great migration of gamers from the 360 to the ps4. You best believe there will be another from the xbone to the ps5. And the thing is many who bought the xbox one have already converted to the ps4 and will get the ps5.

The message is clear, buy a ps5 and if you want gamepass play on the pc.

DavidGzz

Of course it will sell less. It seems to be flopping before it's even launched. Only 16% of gamers are interested in it vs 84% for the ps5. There was a great migration of gamers from the 360 to the ps4. You best believe there will be another from the xbone to the ps5. And the thing is many who bought the xbox one have already converted to the ps4 and will get the ps5.

The message is clear, buy a ps5 and if you want gamepass play on the pc.

Joke post of the year. XSS and XSX will sell at least 50% more than Xbone. We'll see who is right in 7 years. You're taking some poll at a comic convention as gospel. What percentage of the combined 150 million consoles sold between PS4 and Xbone do you think have a powerful gaming PC? The bulk of console buyers do not have a gaming rig, enthusiast sites have your views skewed.

Funny how these guys keep coming into Game Pass threads trying to smother the flame that is Game Pass. The amount of warriors on this forum is endless.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: MrS
I bought an Xbox One SAD last Black Friday (129 euro) with 24 months of Gold (with deals and free upgrade to Ultimate) and broke even only three months later. If I can finish 10 games in the first year I have a free Series X console.

Kerotan

Joke post of the year. XSS and XSX will sell at least 50% more than Xbone. We'll see who is right in 7 years. You're taking some poll at a comic convention as gospel. What percentage of the combined 150 million consoles sold between PS4 and Xbone do you think have a powerful gaming PC? The bulk of console buyers do not have a gaming rig, enthusiast sites have your views skewed.

Funny how these guys keep coming into Game Pass threads trying to smother the flame that is Game Pass. The amount of warriors on this forum is endless.
Never mind 7 years in 2 years it will be obvious the xbox decline has continued. The reason MS are pretending console sales don't matter because they are aware of the trends and know a big decline is coming.

DavidGzz

Never mind 7 years in 2 years it will be obvious the xbox decline has continued. The reason MS are pretending console sales don't matter because they are aware of the trends and know a big decline is coming.

The Xbone was $100 more expensive than PS4, had a terrible E3 at the hands of Mattrick, and fewer exclusives than the 360. This time there will be more exclusives, it will come in at the same price as PS5, have a cheaper model for the casuals(XSS), will launch with a Halo, and will be launching with Game Pass. There is just no way.

All of the screw ups and it still sold well and has been selling out during this quarantine. 50 million is still great even if PS4 ran away with the win. Xbox will do just fine. More than fine next gen.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
As an older gamer I can afford to buy games and I don't even play that many these days, so I don't see the value in it.

But my mind would have exploded if I had this when I was a kid. I'm very envious of the current generation and how cheap games are...all the free to play stuff, and your $0.99c apps on mobile. It would be an amazing time to be a young gamer right now.

longdi

Banned
The Xbone was $100 more expensive than PS4, had a terrible E3 at the hands of Mattrick, and fewer exclusives than the 360. This time there will be more exclusives, it will come in at the same price as PS5, have a cheaper model for the casuals(XSS), will launch with a Halo, and will be launching with Game Pass. There is just no way.

All of the screw ups and it still sold well and has been selling out during this quarantine. 50 million is still great even if PS4 ran away with the win. Xbox will do just fine. More than fine next gen.

That is the same ground feel i am seeing. Sure i have a small sample size.
The excitement for Series X seems much much higher than all prior Xbox'es. The Gamepass is a silent undercurrent swelling.
Despite the harsh critics here pooping on Halo Infinite.
I wont be surprise if Series X and PS5 sold neck and neck from the go.

As i said, from both showings so far, neither of them scream a winner. It is only the hardware specs of Series X that presently form a winning factor. :messenger_peace:

Last edited:
S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
What quality has been released then. Titles that aren’t out can’t be classed since they’re obviously not out and their quality can’t be judged.

Are you asking which exclusive titles are available on Game Pass? Because I'm looking at it right now & can list some for you.

Alan Wake
Bleeding Edge
Crackdown 3
Forza Horizon 4
Gears 1,2,3,4,5 & Judgment
Grounded
Halo Wars
Halo Wars 2
Halo 5: Guardians
Ori & the Blind Forest
Ori & the Will of the Wisps
Quantum Break
Rare Replay
ReCore
Ryse: Son of Rome
Sea of Thieves
State of Decay
State of Decay 2
Sunset Overdrive

& moving forward, every new Xbox exclusive will launch day & date on Game Pass.

& this is on top of non-exclusive stuff, which currently includes

Alien: Isolation
Batman: Arkham Knight
Cities: Skyline
Darksiders 3
Devil May Cry 5
Dishonoured 2
Elder Scrolls Online
Fallout 76
Final Fantasy XV
Guacamelee 2
Hollow Knight
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Monster Hunter: World
Mortal Combat X
NBA 2K20
NieR: Automata
No Man's Sky
Outer Worlds
Plague Tale: Innocence
Rage 2
Red Dead Redemption 2
Remnant: From the Ashes
Surge 2
Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales
Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Yakuza Kiwami
Yakuza Kiwami 2

& that's just a taste of console Game Pass. There's more. & they regularly swap new stuff in & out. & we're getting Xcloud added to our subscription for free.

It's a great service for gamers. You could even say the value is insane.

Thirty7ven

Banned
It’s really great value.

Very exciting to see what the next three to four years will mean for the service and how it will change the industry.

The excitement for Series X seems much much higher than all prior Xbox'es.

Almost spit out a lung from the laughter.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS

FunkMiller

Are you asking which exclusive titles are available on Game Pass? Because I'm looking at it right now & can list some for you.

Alan Wake
Bleeding Edge
Crackdown 3
Forza Horizon 4
Grounded
Halo Wars
Halo Wars 2
Ori & the Blind Forest
Quantum Break
Rare Replay
ReCore
Sea of Thieves
State of Decay
State of Decay 2
Sunset Overdrive

Darksiders 3
Devil May Cry 5
Dishonoured 2
Elder Scrolls Online
Fallout 76
Final Fantasy XV
Guacamelee 2
Hollow Knight
Mortal Combat X
NBA 2K20
No Man's Sky
Outer Worlds
Rage 2
Red Dead Redemption 2
Surge 2
Yakuza Kiwami
Yakuza Kiwami 2

& that's just a taste of console Game Pass. There's more. & they regularly swap new stuff in & out. & we're getting Xcloud added to our subscription for free.

No one in their right mind would claim that access to all those games for that subscription price isn’t good value... but is it enough to persuade people to buy an XBox console or gaming PC, if they already own and enjoy the PlayStation brand? (Or Nintendo for that matter) That’s a lot of money to pay out, and I don’t think Microsoft have done enough to show fresh new games that justify that expenditure as yet.

Last edited:

Alan Wake
Bleeding Edge
Crackdown 3
Forza Horizon 4
Grounded
Halo Wars
Halo Wars 2
Ori & the Blind Forest
Quantum Break
Rare Replay
ReCore
Sea of Thieves
State of Decay
State of Decay 2
Sunset Overdrive

Darksiders 3
Devil May Cry 5
Dishonoured 2
Elder Scrolls Online
Fallout 76
Final Fantasy XV
Guacamelee 2
Hollow Knight
Mortal Combat X
NBA 2K20
No Man's Sky
Outer Worlds
Rage 2
Red Dead Redemption 2
Surge 2
Yakuza Kiwami
Yakuza Kiwami 2

I all most feel stupid for still buying all of my games.

Last edited:

JonnyMP3

It is great value. Ultimately I'll just pick myself up a cheap 2nd hand X1 or X1X, spend the sub, play what I want to play. And if there's nothing else I want to play for a while then I'll just cancel my subscription. I do the same with Netflix, Prime and the WWE network. I sub when I want and I cancel when I no longer have a game I want to play. I can't argue against the value of the thing. If you want to buy a brand new Xbox SX, go ahead. Personally, I don't see the point just yet.

howitis3

What’s even funnier than that is people who believe MS has a clue what it’s doing in any of its divisions. Propping up the win32/UWP fiasco as evidence of anything other than chaos is not good.

damn if MS is clueless what would you call almost every other company in the world who are no where near as successful.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
No one in their right mind would claim that access to all those games for that subscription price isn’t good value... but is it enough to persuade people to buy an XBox console or gaming PC, if they already own and enjoy the PlayStation brand? (Or Nintendo for that matter) That’s a lot of money to pay out, and I don’t think Microsoft have done enough to show fresh new games that justify that expenditure as yet.

As the library goes the case to buy a box grows.

When there's 4 or 5 games in GP you find appealing thats $250 or more in games (depending if the are $60 or lower).

When you look at their pitch with access via Xbox One, Lockhart, Series X and Xlcoud, it becomes a much easier sell.

When there's 4 or 5 games in GP you find appealing thats $250 or more in games (depending if the are $60 or lower).

When you look at their pitch with access via Xbox One, Lockhart, Series X and Xlcoud, it becomes a much easier sell.
Yup, especially in this economic climate. The more word gets around about gamepass, the more it will spread like wildfire.

Last edited:
Man, GamePass brings the value and it also brings the haters.

I see the same usual suspects from other Xbox threads spreading FUD about how GamePass is bad for gaming and will lead to MS pooping out a bunch of smaller shitty games so they can rapidly supply content, but they still can’t actually explain with any logic how it’s bad for gaming, or how MS would sell a service full of shitty games.

At least when people were fighting off wave after wave of SSD gospel, they were doing it with logic and facts.

FunkMiller

And there’s the important bit. As I say... I don’t think Microsoft have come up with the exclusive, hyped, fresh games yet to pull gamers over to the service. I’d want to see them hit us with a few more big exclusives to justify the outlay.

Dane

Then Blockbuster and Netflix are companies who harmed home video, which was a very profitable thing, until its near death.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
...is it enough to persuade people to buy an XBox console or gaming PC, if they already own and enjoy the PlayStation brand? (Or Nintendo for that matter)...

Who knows? Possibly.

In my opinion, there's room in the world for all 3 (& PC) to exist at the same time.

I all most feel stupid for still buying all of my games.

Agreed, but I can't help myself. I just like to buy & own my stuff. I still buy music, for example, even though YouTube & Spotify exist & I have an Amazon Prime subscription. Old habits & all that.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
And there’s the important bit. As I say... I don’t think Microsoft have come up with the exclusive, hyped, fresh games yet to pull gamers over to the service. I’d want to see them hit us with a few more big exclusives to justify the outlay.

Will have to wait and see but everyone's tastes are different. Some will say there's more than enough quality in there already.

Shmunter

Man, GamePass brings the value and it also brings the haters.

I see the same usual suspects from other Xbox threads spreading FUD about how GamePass is bad for gaming and will lead to MS pooping out a bunch of smaller shitty games so they can rapidly supply content, but they still can’t actually explain with any logic how it’s bad for gaming, or how MS would sell a service full of shitty games.

At least when people were fighting off wave after wave of SSD gospel, they were doing it with logic and facts.
There is a flaw with the subscription model coexisting with super expensive single player games. You need more quicker.....which means cheaper; to keep people subscribing. OR games as a service type games that don’t end so people play them for months; again keeping them, subscribed.

People that really like Sony style games, and that’s a lot of people. See it as the counterintuitive model to what they consider special. For me, my critique of Gamepass for example is not to downplay Xbox fans fun, it’s borne of not wanting Sony to follow suit. I also think if all the major platform holders move to such a model - gaming as a whole will change radically, and not for the better.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Will have to wait and see but everyone's tastes are different. Some will say there's more than enough quality in there already.

I’m sure they would, but the chances are they are people already using it!

I do think to lure people into GamePass, Microsoft still have to do exactly the same thing Sony do: announce and release exclusive titles that everyone wants to play, and that can’t be played anywhere else. GamePass in and of itself isn’t enough - for Microsoft to be successful they still have to provide excellent fresh content.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I’m sure they would, but the chances are they are people already using it!

I do think to lure people into GamePass, Microsoft still have to do exactly the same thing Sony do: announce and release exclusive titles that everyone wants to play, and that can’t be played anywhere else. GamePass in and of itself isn’t enough - for Microsoft to be successful they still have to provide excellent fresh content.

They just had an entire presentation with over 20 games debuting on game pass. They are working on it.

Again, time will tell. But word of mouth is almost universal praise. It's doing what it needs to at this point and time.

There is a flaw with the subscription model coexisting with super expensive single player games. You need more quicker.....which means cheaper; to keep people subscribing. OR games as a service type games that don’t end so people play them for months; again keeping them, subscribed.

People that really like Sony style games, and that’s a lot of people. See it as the counterintuitive model to what they consider special. For me, my critique of Gamepass for example is not to downplay Xbox fans fun, it’s borne of not wanting Sony to follow suit. I also think if all the major platform holders move to such a model - gaming as a whole will change radically, and not for the better.

There are plenty of "super expensive" single player games on GamePass already. Not sure why they'll suddenly stop? Also even the "super expensive" games tend to cost way less than the typical big budget movie or television series that subscription models produce, yet they still somehow are able to produce them constantly.

Also there's nothing wrong with developers supporting games in ways that has gamers still playing them for "months". People need to get over their silly fear of games as a service. Sony has their fair share of GAAS type games. GT, Uncharted, Last of Us, MLB, they've monetized and thrown GaaS in these franchises and others. They have said that with PS5 they want to go bigger into the GaaS area. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, as long as it's handled correctly. Last of Us having a downright sickening amount of microtransactions and premium MP content didn't stop it from having a fully fledged SP offering. Same can be said for Gears 5. And Forza Horizon 4, easily the best racer in a long time, has a gargantuan SP offering you can fully experience without ever needing to jump into MP. Even the GaaS elements there can keep you engaged and playing the game without ever needing to pay another penny or leave single player. This is a bad thing?

It's the same type of fear people had with EA Access, how a year or so after release we were going to have every single publisher locking their content behind their own subscription and now years later turns out, nah, nothing really changed at all, just an optional service. You're afraid that a model like these will stop Sony from spending five years making a one off single player game you can finish in a weekend and never touch again. There's no reason these can't coexist, they already do on GamePass, they already do on movie/television subscription services.

Sony is going in on this too. Can't wait to see loads of people suddenly loving the idea then.

Also for the amount of people you claim that love the type of games Sony makes, those numbers still pale in comparison to the people who buy multiplats and GaaS type games, and even a majority of PS4 owners didn't buy most of Sony's offerings. They sold a lot of games with bundles, and a great amount of games outside of those bundles in some cases, but even the best case scenarios like Uncharted 4 or Spider-Man sold to what, 1/10th of the userbase? 1/5th?

Thirty7ven

Banned

The fear is borne out of the correct assessment that this is an industry run by gold chasing execs.

I don’t want most games to be either GaaS or indies. I don’t want to play the same two or three games for years on end sprinkles by small time efforts in between.

But they can coexist, and I believe the right model is a subscription service for indies and older games, while big games keep getting the red carpet.

Dabaus

Banned
honestly starting to wonder if Gamepass is being shilled. the endless threads about the exact same subject is incredible. either that or a lot of insecurity

it would be like 5 threads a week made by nintendo or sony fans about how many highly rated exclusives they have.

and it's funny to see how many people MS have successfully convinced that console sales aren't important.

Was about to ask the same thing myself. There is no question in my mind that whenever someone, anyone, brings up games pass in games media or forums its an astroturfed, paid for ad by Microsoft. The obsession and nonstop shilling for this service is so nakedly obvious. PS NOW has more games, better first party games, and is cheaper and yet there is barely a peep about it, its obvious whose being fed PR lines.

Last edited:
Gamepass pushers seem to value quantity more than quality, I've had the service a few times and man I rarely found anything on it that I wanted to play, it's either stuff I have already played or a bunch of garbage.

I had this thought before I signed up for 3 years. Everything on there has pleasantly surprised me to the extent I will play anything on the service and...be pleasantly surprised by it. You do have to find a way to focus yourself on a game. But the curation is pretty top notch if you can open yourself up to what is on there.

Even if the game you are looking at reviewed poorly. Peoples expectations have skyrocketed and arent necessarily in line with "is this fun to beat if it just appeared in your library." That's a lot of what gamepass is.

Is the quality (not quantity) that you are looking for playstation exclusives, EA and Ubisoft titles? Those are never coming.

If that is you, I will say this: My playstation is broken so I had stop games in the middle and put a hold on my backlog until the new system is out. That was VERY frustrating for a few months. I honestly dont miss them at the moment, because I've had more fun with gamepass since only having that.

Alan Wake
Bleeding Edge
Crackdown 3
Forza Horizon 4
Grounded
Halo Wars
Halo Wars 2
Ori & the Blind Forest
Quantum Break
Rare Replay
ReCore
Sea of Thieves
State of Decay
State of Decay 2
Sunset Overdrive

Darksiders 3
Devil May Cry 5
Dishonoured 2
Elder Scrolls Online
Fallout 76
Final Fantasy XV
Guacamelee 2
Hollow Knight
Mortal Combat X
NBA 2K20
No Man's Sky
Outer Worlds
Rage 2
Red Dead Redemption 2
Surge 2
Yakuza Kiwami
Yakuza Kiwami 2

No I wasn't asking what exclusive games MS released or which ones were on gamepass.

I was asking which MS first party games have been decent quality in the last 3-5 years.
crackdown was hyped for example and after release passed off as 'perfect for game pass'

Top Bottom