• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recap: The Value Of Xbox Game Pass Keeps Getting More Insane

Redlancet

Banned
Exactly!

Comparing GamePass to a cheap buffet lol, GamePass is actually more like a voucher to some of your favorite restaurants.

My favorite restaurant is CD Project Red and tonight I'm having The Witcher 3 😋
You better eat quickly before they take the game out of the service

Mmnow

You better eat quickly before they take the game out of the service

And if they do and he wants to keep it, he gets it at a nice discount. All those other games being added takes the sting out somewhat as well.

Almost like there's no downside!

NickFire

So Halo will be on gamepass, and multiplayer is F2P. If I understand correctly, Gamepass revenue is distributed based on play time. I could be mistaken there. If that is correct though, did MS just nuke 3rd parties' share revenue from gamepass by making Halo F2P? I ask because I imagine Halo will be the most played game by far for a log time with multiplayer being free.

Mmnow

So Halo will be on gamepass, and multiplayer is F2P. If I understand correctly, Gamepass revenue is distributed based on play time. I could be mistaken there. If that is correct though, did MS just nuke 3rd parties' share revenue from gamepass by making Halo F2P? I ask because I imagine Halo will be the most played game by far for a log time with multiplayer being free.

Gamepass revenue isn't distributed based on playtime. As far as I've seen from devs, it's an upfront fee.

If gamepass is crazy value with 400 games than psnow must by insane with 700 of em!?

I have PS Now and use it a lot, but at least 300 of those 700 games are episodes of Strong Bad.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
So at the end you ended buying the thing,well thats much better for the dev, thats for sure

Exposure is far more important for some devs as it leads to more sales. SO yes buying a game will always be best but when game pass leads to more sales its a win win.

Redlancet

Banned
Exposure is far more important for some devs as it leads to more sales. SO yes buying a game will always be best but when game pass leads to more sales its a win win.

i still dont thing going into gamepass gonna make you better revenue,time will tell,as always time its a bitch

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
i still dont thing going into gamepass gonna make you better revenue,time will tell,as always time its a bitch

Based on what? We have seen many developers already saying they are seeing larger player bases because of GP. More players is more revenue.

Redlancet

Banned
Based on what? We have seen many developers already saying they are seeing larger player bases because of GP. More players is more revenue.
based on the real world,most of these devs are indies who gonna get ignored on a overstuffed marked its not rocket science if you put a triple AAA on the store the sales will be affected,even the outer worlds devs were cautious https://www.videogameschronicle.com...-game-pass-helped-outer-worlds-says-take-two/ as i said before time will tell

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
based on the real world,most of these devs are indies who gonna get ignored on a overstuffed marked its not rocket science if you put a triple AAA on the store the sales will be affected,even the outer worlds devs were cautious https://www.videogameschronicle.com...-game-pass-helped-outer-worlds-says-take-two/ as i said before time will tell

SO in the "real world" we cherry pick out the indie games and then try to form a narrative that focuses on one subsection of the market to discredit the overall market plan and market repercussions.

Because the AAA space isn't stuffed either with marketing and development teams carefully picking dates based on the competition and sales data. We definitely dont see delays happen to get out of the way of other AAA games.

We definitely dont see more AAA publishers releasing different strategies like FTP and Battle Passes in attempt to make more revenue on products to increase their life span.

We definitely dont have developers like Square Enix putting a ton of their AAA catalogue on Game Pass either.

Got it.

93xfan

Banned
lol I don't know why you see it as "This guy is on the PS5 side and I have to hit him with the SSD thing!" I never said you were even wrong. Just pointed out it was interesting how easily a group of fans can be persuaded to parrot a phrase over and over again for their plastic box masters.

Though, I guess it is interesting if a launch of a new console looks so grim that the most exciting thing about it is "the value of a subscription." We'd both be laughing together if Sony announced a bunch of free games for PS+ and a bunch of PS5 fangirls had so little to be excited about for the launch that they were all in unison describing the "value of PS+" over and over again.

You seemed reasonable until you started attacking the Xbox launch and doing some straw man arguments.

I’m excited for Halo, The Medium, The Ascent, Flight Sim, Scorn, and the best console version of Cyberpunk this year. Gamepass keeps things interesting with new surprises each week and also saves me money.

You coming into Xbox threads to promote the PS5 seems desperate

Redlancet

Banned
SO in the "real world" we cherry pick out the indie games and then try to form a narrative that focuses on one subsection of the market to discredit the overall market plan and market repercussions.

Because the AAA space isn't stuffed either with marketing and development teams carefully picking dates based on the competition and sales data. We definitely dont see delays happen to get out of the way of other AAA games.

We definitely dont see more AAA publishers releasing different strategies like FTP and Battle Passes in attempt to make more revenue on products to increase their life span.

We definitely dont have developers like Square Enix putting a ton of their AAA catalogue on Game Pass either.

Got it.

the AAA games you are getting have worked their funtional sales life on a system like xbox,you wont see new games released on the system,and entering this next gen its gonna be more obvious,they gonna take a lot of indies and similar,if you are ok with that,thats fine,but i dont think the big ones like take 2,ubi and similars are eager to launch their big budgets games on the service

as i said before,time will tell

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
the AAA games you are getting have worked their funtional sales life on a system like xbox,you wont see new games released on the system,and entering this next gen its gonna be more obvious,they gonna take a lot of indies and similar,if you are ok with that,thats fine,but i dont think the big ones like take 2,ubi and similars are eager to launch their big budgets games on the service

tenor.gif

Mmnow

Ubi aren't a good example, for obvious reasons.

But aside from that, we can only judge based on two things :big publishers are putting games on Gamepass, and they're often coming within a year of launch.

Going forward that might change. It probably won't. Microsoft want subscribers and the best way to get subscribers is a constant stream of content.

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
Ubi aren't a good example, for obvious reasons.

Going forward that might change. It probably won't. Microsoft want subscribers and the best way to get subscribers is a constant stream of content.

thats right,but how? they gonna pay big publishers to put their big games on day one? in a service its costing them money? i doubt it,we will see,game pass its getting games now because we are on the 6 year of this generation and there is a backlog of games,and microsoft first party will take is time to arrive

lol I don't know why you see it as "This guy is on the PS5 side and I have to hit him with the SSD thing!" I never said you were even wrong. Just pointed out it was interesting how easily a group of fans can be persuaded to parrot a phrase over and over again for their plastic box masters.

Though, I guess it is interesting if a launch of a new console looks so grim that the most exciting thing about it is "the value of a subscription." We'd both be laughing together if Sony announced a bunch of free games for PS+ and a bunch of PS5 fangirls had so little to be excited about for the launch that they were all in unison describing the "value of PS+" over and over again.
I've blocked you like three times what type of wizardry are you using I keep seeing your retarded post.

Shifty1897

GamePass is still too much for me to get it on PC. I'd rather have a smaller list of games to play for $9.99 a month (or less) than the monster list that currently exists.

Top Bottom