• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Realistically, what gaming studio can/should Nintendo buy to enrich their games library?

Orta

Banned
Shin'en Multimedia, worked closely and exclusively with Nintendo in the past. Makes excellent, technically impressive games.

Ember Lab. very promising future. Kena 2 to launch with a Switch Pro.

Crystal Dynamics, undoubtedly talented developer, Square don't seem to be too happy with them, ever.

Capcom, for teh lolz.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Nintendo has said in the past they don't like to buy developers

Ok, that just means they'll buy them, but they won't like it, like they'll have a mean face while acquiring them, be like "We reluctantly purchased FromSoftware against our better wishes and morals, we deeply regret the purchase and apologize for all effected by our actions....that being said" lol

Shin'en Multimedia, worked closely and exclusively with Nintendo in the past. Makes excellent, technically impressive games.

Ember Lab. very promising future. Kena 2 to launch with a Switch Pro.

Crystal Dynamics, undoubtedly talented developer, Square don't seem to be too happy with them, ever.

Capcom, for teh lolz.

Capcom is way too expensive for Nintendo

Jinzo Prime

Capcom is way too expensive for Nintendo
People seriously need a better understanding of the size and buying power of the companies they talk about in a M&A thread.

Right now Nintendo has a market capitalization of over 53 billion dollars. Capcom is at 5 billion, Sega: 3.5 billion, Bandai Namco: 18 billion, Konami: 7.6 billion.

Nintendo (and Sony and Microsoft) can afford whatever small gaming publisher they want; the question is whether that company fits into their overall strategy or risk assessment.

FStubbs

Mercury Steam would be an obvious choice.
Level 5 was skeptical about the Switch and didn't back it at first but whether they like it or not, Nintendo is really where they make their money
I think Platinum likes their independence

Ok, that just means they'll buy them, but they won't like it, like they'll have a mean face while acquiring them, be like "We reluctantly purchased FromSoftware against our better wishes and morals, we deeply regret the purchase and apologize for all effected by our actions....that being said" lol
Nintendo buying From, a studio that really doesn't develop on their hardware at all, would not only not make sense, but Neogaf would burn down due to rage.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Nintendo buying From, a studio that really doesn't develop on their hardware at all, would not only not make sense, but Neogaf would burn down due to rage.

For the very reason you stated it would make sense.

They don't develop on their hardware.....

They would be giving the base something new as they haven't made games on that hardware like Switch and haven't made Nintendo stuff for generations.

Thus....its wanted, the market is wide open and they'd be filling in a gap of something they DON'T HAVE.

Did some of you not realize that? Why would they NEED to buy a team to provide them of something they already have lots of? Its why many times I stated it makes sense that Sony doesn't make much if any JRPGs, they already get the games that move the most units ON THEIR systems, thus...they are not gaining much as the majority of said fanbase buys on PS anyway ie KH, FF selling majority on PS means its irrelevant for Sony to chase such a thing by making their own or buying a team that makes that etc.

Nintendo on the other hand has not From Soft titles exclusively and it fits many designs of what some Nintendo fans are already used to.

So not making games on the hardware already, is the justified reason sir.

00_Zer0

Mercury Steam
It probably won't happen, but this team is capable of AAA goodness as long as Nintendo is guiding them . They could keep making Metroid games, but also try to reboot series like Eternal Darkness or create their own series under the Nintendo ubrella.

Mercury Steam would be an obvious choice.
Level 5 was skeptical about the Switch and didn't back it at first but whether they like it or not, Nintendo is really where they make their money
I think Platinum likes their independence

yes!...that would be quite a sight

Ryu Kaiba

There was a time where I would have said Atlus but I worry Nintendo would nerf some of their darker themes.
I wouldn't want studios like FromSoft or Platinum being forced into the limitations of the switch.

Level 5 might be a great fit, they should buy them and give them Pokemon.

Sega is way too expensive for Nintendo
Sega Sammy has only a 3.5 billion dollar market capitalization. Nintendo has 5 times that in CASH. Not saying they would buy them, but it would be very easy for Nintendo considering their cash holdings and amazing credit.

Last edited:

Aldric

Something that people should keep in mind as well is that Nintendo don't like buying studios, they'd rather establish a long term relationship with development partners and let them have a certain amount of independance. If they haven't bought HAL Laboratory and Intelligent Systems I don't see them buying a big japanese company like Sega or FromSoft.

I'm trying to remember where I saw that but I'm pretty sure one of Nintendo's presidents specifically said in an investor Q&A that they didn't want to buy new studios especially western ones because they don't want talent to quit and be left with what's essentially an empty shell.

carlosrox

Banned
Sega, Konami, or Capcom so Nintendo can get awesome games done for their IPs.

Mega Man or Castelavnia done under their watchful eye would be amazing. Sonic and other Sega IPs too.

Majukun

someone able to do FPS because they really lack a mainstay name on the genre

if they buy sega maybe we will finally get a new F-zero, also Kazuma in smash

Castef

Banned
In the latest investor meeting, President Furukawa said in the background of increasing global competitions, they will invest $900m more in Switch game development in next 5 years and they will not rule out buying third party studios. So what studios do they have in mind?

Personally, being a HUGE fan of From Soft, I think they should make an offer to Kadokawa to buy From Soft (I just learned Kadokawa is not even that huge, only less than 1-billions valuation, so From Soft couldn't be that expensive). From Soft has worldwide recognition, and their games will fill in the gap for mature audience in Nintendo library.

So what do you guys think, what game studio they can/should buy?
Well, Mercury Steam is an obvious one.

I'd also go with:
- Platinum Games
- Level 5
- Head Cannon

Mister Wolf

Mecury Steam. They can get to work on the next 2D Metroid and the remake of Zelda 2 I proposed.

Last edited:

FStubbs

For the very reason you stated it would make sense.

They don't develop on their hardware.....

They would be giving the base something new as they haven't made games on that hardware like Switch and haven't made Nintendo stuff for generations.

Thus....its wanted, the market is wide open and they'd be filling in a gap of something they DON'T HAVE.

Did some of you not realize that? Why would they NEED to buy a team to provide them of something they already have lots of? Its why many times I stated it makes sense that Sony doesn't make much if any JRPGs, they already get the games that move the most units ON THEIR systems, thus...they are not gaining much as the majority of said fanbase buys on PS anyway ie KH, FF selling majority on PS means its irrelevant for Sony to chase such a thing by making their own or buying a team that makes that etc.

Nintendo on the other hand has not From Soft titles exclusively and it fits many designs of what some Nintendo fans are already used to.

So not making games on the hardware already, is the justified reason sir.
And then everyone who makes From special ragequits the company (because they clearly do not want to develop for Nintendo) and forms a new company and returns to Playstation development and Nintendo gains what?

Ezquimacore

Banned
Those people saying "Nintendo doesn't have any money for xxx" wtf do you think Nintendo has been doing for the past 40 years? Making profit and saving money every year with the exemption of a few bad years, their most expensive game was botw and according to Nintendo they just needed to sell 2 million copies to make money, the game sold 25+ millions and counting. They have the money, they're just very fkn protective with it.

Yoboman

Those people saying "Nintendo doesn't have any money for xxx" wtf do you think Nintendo has been doing for the past 40 years? Making profit and saving money every year with the exemption of a few bad years, their most expensive game was botw and according to Nintendo they just needed to sell 2 million copies to make money, the game sold 25+ millions and counting. They have the money, they're just very fkn protective with it.
They also traditionally go through boom bust cycles where their console doesn't land with consumers and they fail to sell, so they need to keep that profit in hand if they have some lean years

Ezquimacore

Banned
They also traditionally go through boom bust cycles where their console doesn't land with consumers and they fail to sell, so they need to keep that profit in hand if they have some lean years
That only happened with the Wii u and they didn't have huge losses in terms of money, just in terms of market share. The 3ds/software was keeping then afloat just like the gameboy and ds did in the n64/gc era. So even when those consoles were not selling well, they were making money. They have a huge bank account and assets to buy some stuff, but they can't afford to make a giant bad investment because gaming is their only business.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Devolver Digital?

Their library looks like the perfect fit of indie games and A/AA kinds of games. Some of their games come out for Switch too.

Only drawback is they make a ton of games for PC/mobile, so if they take it in house, they either support PC as usual or cut the cord and go Nintendo only.

Last edited:

EDMIX

And then everyone who makes From special ragequits the company (because they clearly do not want to develop for Nintendo) and forms a new company and returns to Playstation development and Nintendo gains what?

sir, you can make that "what if" BS scenario about any purchase.

In the latest investor meeting, President Furukawa said in the background of increasing global competitions, they will invest $900m more in Switch game development in next 5 years and they will not rule out buying third party studios. So what studios do they have in mind?

Personally, being a HUGE fan of From Soft, I think they should make an offer to Kadokawa to buy From Soft (I just learned Kadokawa is not even that huge, only less than 1-billions valuation, so From Soft couldn't be that expensive). From Soft has worldwide recognition, and their games will fill in the gap for mature audience in Nintendo library.

So what do you guys think, what game studio they can/should buy?
Why in the hell would you want From to be owned by Nintendo of all people?

Also why do people want platform holders to buy studios instead of curating them anyway? Then we get this Bethesda bullshit.

FStubbs

sir, you can make that "what if" BS scenario about any purchase.
Except IIRC Nintendo has actually cited that as a reason against purchases in the past, meaning it's not just BS. It's relevant to the discussion.

The evidence stands, sir.

EDMIX

cited that as a reason against purchases in the past,

and? That doesn't mean no purchase will happen in the future.

You took that statement waaaaaay too literal and absolute.

So you don't have actual "evidence" that From Soft will do that or has made statements like that.

FStubbs

and? That doesn't mean no purchase will happen in the future.

You took that statement waaaaaay too literal and absolute.

So you don't have actual "evidence" that From Soft will do that or has made statements like that.
"The Giants want to keep their offense limited to prevent their garbage offensive line from causing a jailbreak to the quarterback."
You: "There's no evidence that they'll do this against the Bucs because they haven't played the Bucs this year."

EDMIX

"The Giants want to keep their offense limited to prevent their garbage offensive line from causing a jailbreak to the quarterback."
You: "There's no evidence that they'll do this against the Bucs because they haven't played the Bucs this year."

Thats nice bud.

Again...you don't have any evidence that such a thing would occur by that team. You simply exaggerated a statement. Have a good one

(added on ignored as not to waste my time or yours bud, Nintendo will buy who the fuck they feel like buying)

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
SquareSoft
SquareEnix you mean. I was gonna say this, because I thought that for the longest time. But mainly because of Japan, and ironically Nintendo don't need them anymore overthere. It would be a waste of money.

FStubbs

Thats nice bud.

Again...you don't have any evidence that such a thing would occur by that team. You simply exaggerated a statement. Have a good one

(added on ignored as not to waste my time or yours bud, Nintendo will buy who the fuck they feel like buying)
So basically you admit your point is ridiculous and you concede. Cool. Take your ball and go home and eat your L.

Last edited:

EDMIX

SquareEnix you mean. I was gonna say this, because I thought that for the longest time. But mainly because of Japan, and ironically Nintendo don't need them anymore overthere. It would be a waste of money.

True, they can spend that money better. Lots of Square's titles haven't even sold the best on their platforms.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Thats nice bud.

So basically you admit your point is ridiculous and you concede. Cool. Take your ball and go home and eat your L.

Put eaach other on ignore or argue via PMs please. Thanks.

MikeM

Preferably none.

They apparently confirmed they'll try to drag their smartphone-level hardware for at least another 2 years, so I really don't wish anyone to be stuck on Bayonetta 3 graphics.

Except maybe Atlus.
This. We need progress, not studios being limited to developing on circa 2007 level hardware.

Top Bottom