• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real Talk: Gaming Hardware Is About Maximizing Efficiency Not TFLOPs

Chiggs

API overhead, no cache scrubbers and less priority lanes and custom controllers/co-processors with the I/O and SSD; decompression not handled completely by the custom features in the I/O freeing up the cpu.

But they’ve still got an SSD with good bandwidth and a faster grouping of RAM. Some of the arguments I see from the Sony faithful border on the ludicrous, as if the Series X has some sort of mechanical drive that’s going to sputter and smoke.

Chiggs

I'm not a hardware engineer, please correct me if I'm wrong, but it sure seems like there is a lot more under the hood than just hurdur slower CPU + weaker GPU + super fast SSD is no replacement for +2TF of GPU power.

Personally, I don’t think there is. The Xbox Series X has a faster CPU, a better GPU and a faster grouping of RAM, which will give it an advantage...I just don’t think anyone will really care.

Similarly, Sony’s big claims to fame:
  • Great SSD and custom I/O
  • 3D audio

Inuteu

I am not reading that wall of text :)
72dce108e6b01f35ff36075fb1571d95.jpg

Leyasu

Banned
For those that want the TLDR:

"Look, I'm not saying that either system is more powerful but the PS5 is more powerful because Sony devs praised it and also TFLOPS are just like, theoretical and stuff, it is all about efficiency and removing bottlenecks not TFLOPS. Again, not claiming that one is more powerful but the PS5 will be more powerful."
Made me chuckle

TheContact

Here's a thought:
the PSX, for example, was a console that required the developers to learn the hardware in order to make better looking games. An example of this would be when you compare the graphical fidelity of FF7 compared to 9. The SNES was the same way. I haven't been playing a ton of console games since the ps3/360 era, is development the same way now? Has there been a noticeable progression in terms of development from launch games to end of console life games?

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
I see bigger number therefore better.

Seriously, cache scrubbers, greater I/O efficiency, large and fast data decompression and CU occupancy will make a demonstrable difference.

Series X will have some advantages no doubt, but I mostly see them coming down to output res and ray tracing, yet for sheer fidelity? I see Sony having the edge there, the amount of data it can stream with the major bottlenecks gone - on tap and on the fly - is crazy.
It’s like high res textures and assets are going to be exclusive to the ps5. I thought that they had been a thing for years.... Even on PCs without SSDs

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
MS: "industry experts" say Xbox One has "a better line-up", gamers "don't buy stats"

Microsoft's corporate vice-president Yusuf Mehdi has told investors that the upcoming clash between Xbox One and PS4 is great for consumers, and reiterated his colleague Albert Penello's claim that the statistical capabilities of each machine are "meaningless" in themselves.
"One of the things that has never happened is we go head-to-head with a competitor on a console launch. "Competitively speaking, so far, I feel like we have a much better... more complete value prop," Mehdi went on. "We do things that aren't found on other platforms with the Kinect, a huge piece of differentiation. As I said before, the fact that we do entertainment and gaming.

"And then even if you just take gamers, hardcore gamers, gamers buy for the game. They don't buy for stats on a spec sheet. And if you look at the games we have, according to most industry experts now, a better lineup of games."

Sep 9, 2013

Phil Spencer felt “even better” after knowing the PS5 specs

Apr 3, 2020

Phil Spencer "Just being honest" Claims Advantage over PS5

“Just being honest, I felt good after seeing their show. I think the hardware advantages that we have built are going to show up as we’re talking more about our games and frame rates and other things,”

Saturday at 2:20 AM

The past 7 years have been a goldmine. Microsoft will never stop, not to be manipulative, bending the rules to fit their narrative. Based on the games we´ve seen from Microsoft ... after overhyping the event, claiming for 7 years to have the best e3 line-up in xbox history (every january) ...

We better all have enough aspirin ready, because gonna be unbearable from now on.

SaucyJack

Sure, there's RAM bandwidth, which the XSX has more of as well.

Sure, and also the slightly more complicated memory structure that the Xbox has

And there's also the heavy customisation of the I/O pipeline in the PS5

And MANY other features and customisations in both consoles.

Tqaulity

That's kinda the point of his post.

Sure, the Series X is theoretically more powerful. That's undeniable. And you're right the difference in that processing power may actually not amount to much, native 4K vs 82% of 4K with checkerboarding or maybe 1 billion ray bounces vs 800 million. You're right we'll probably need DF to tell us.

But the question the OP poses is that you need to consider, in addition to the theoretical maximum performance, how easily can you extract that performance. Because no computer system runs at 100% performance continuously. So for sake of argument say that on average SeriesX gets 75% then that's 9.1 Tflops but if PS5 gets 90% then thats 9.2 (numbers plucked out my arse to make the point).

The OP's point is that efficiency is just as important as max power and can equalise things. This exact scenario was demonstrated in real life with both PS3 and Dreamcast which were outperformed by theoretically weaker systems.
Thank you for actually reading it and paying attention :)

Sure, there's RAM bandwidth, which the XSX has more of as well.

That's not really true. The Series X RAM is split with 10GB of GDDR6 @ 556GB/s and 6GB of GDDR6 @ 336GB/s

That CPU side will depend completely on how much of the PS5's Unified RAM will be used for games. This is the point of the OP, but many of you have dismissed it completely even though the 12TF number only represents the Series X GPU, not the console as a whole.

SaucyJack

I'm with you OP but there isn't much reason to think XSX is bottlenecked majorly in any area.

Sure there is.

- Constraints from having two pools of memory at different speeds.
- GPU functions that are linked to clock speed rather than CU count.
- I/O

We don't know enough about either system yet and, as the OP says, we still need to see games running side by side.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Sure there is.

- I/O

We don't know enough about either system yet and, as the OP says, we still need to see games running side by side.

I/o isn't a bottleneck neck simply because it's not as fast as ps5.

The clock speed is high, but again not as high as ps5.

Not being as fast in ps5 on some areas is not a bottleneck.

Two memory pools...maybe. but neither is slow. At most will require a bit more optimization to ensure what's on the fast set is supposed to be there.

Last edited:

Chiggs

Sure there is.

- I/O

I'm sorry, but no. We're not talking about the PS3 and its XDRAM vs GDDR3 fiasco here.

Whoever insinuated that, no matter who the source is, is being incredibly disingenuous.

Last edited:

chilichote

I'm with you OP but there isn't much reason to think XSX is bottlenecked majorly in any area.

Suppose it is a more traditional design, which is something that has hinted at so far; and the PS5 consistently goes the way of efficiency and thus a more untraditional way, then the XSeX has more bottlenecks in comparison. How much this will ultimately have an effect and whether the XSeX will ultimately be ahead will be shown.

SaucyJack

I/o isn't a bottleneck neck simply because it's not as fast as ps5.

The clock speed is high, but again not as high as ps5.

Not being as fast in ps5 on some areas is not a bottleneck.

Two memory pools...maybe. but neither is slow. At most will require a bit more optimization to ensure what's on the fast set is supposed to be there.

I/O is more than just the SSD speed.

I/O is the biggest bottleneck on current systems except for maybe the crappy CPUs

Xplainin

Banned
Sure, and also the slightly more complicated memory structure that the Xbox has

And there's also the heavy customisation of the I/O pipeline in the PS5

And MANY other features and customisations in both consoles.
There is nothing on the PS5 that is going to allow it to get more out of the GPU than the XSX can. And in Fact, with the PS5 using variable clocks, there is more chance of the PS5 not getting the most out of it.

The reality is, even if the XSX can use the full 12.2tflops, and the PS5 can use the full 10.24tflops, its not going to make it look much better, if at all.
That's the only point that needs to be made here.

truth411

The discussion on which next gen console is more "powerful" has been heating up lately with most believing the Xbox Series X to be more powerful solely on higher spec counts in certain categories. Yet some folks counter that with how the custom hardware in PS5 will alleviate some of it's relative performance deficit and the difference will be minimal.

Before I proceed, let's really think about what we mean by "powerful" in this context because it could mean several different things. People tend to just toss that number around and say "system X has more TFLOPs so it's more powerful" or "System Y can run at higher framerates so it's more powerful". It is an important distinction in the context of the next generation consoles since both system have advantages in different areas.

For this discussion, I want to focus on actual game performance as the goal. Meaning which system can actually process the most data in the shortest amount of time. This will yield richer worlds at higher framerates. Thus, I am getting away from the theoretical and the TFLOPS and high level specs and focusing on which system ultimately runs games with same or higher details and higher framerates.

Now of course let me state the obvious: at this point, nobody really knows which system is more powerful between the Xbox Series X and PS5. Why? Because nobody has seen both running in final hardware form up close with the same game side by side to do a comparison. So I'm not here to declare either one as more "powerful" but just to check some folks on claiming one as superior solely based on numbers on paper or video streams.

Now many people in the know including developers have said this but let me reiterate: virtually no real world game running on any system does so in a manner which utilizes 100% of that system's capability at all times. As beautiful as TLOU2 or God of War looks on PS4, it is completely incorrect to think that either of those games are extracting the maximum 1.8 TFLOPs of GPU power for any sustained period. Yes, even if the clock speeds are fixed the actual utilization is based on the software running on it. For example, I can have a 5 Ghz CPU and a 2Ghz top of the line GPU running a simple 'for' loop or simple binary search algorithm. Does that mean that the system is running at it's theoretical 14 TFLOPs while running those few lines of code in that for loop simply because it's frequencies are locked? Theoretically, I could build a 15 PetaFlop machine (15000 TFLOPS) that is several orders of magnitude more powerful than anything on the market today. But if all it could play were Wii games by design, would that be a system which is utilizing it's full potential? Would that be next gen?

The point here is something that I've mentioned several times in this forum and I think a lot of people miss. When we really think about "next gen" gaming and transitioning to a new generation it really isn't the hardware that achieve those milestones. It's the actual software/games that truly define a new generation. We don't remember the specs of the N64 and how much more horsepower it had over the PS1, but we remember how seeing Super Mario 64 for the first time took our breath away. Try as we might, few people could look at Mario 64 in motion and translate that to exactly what hardware specs made that possible and how any theoretical advantages over competing hardware is showing up in the images being rendered before in front of them. The same could be said in moving to PS2: it was seeing GT3, Metal Gears Solid 2, and GTA III that defined what "next gen" really meant for that generation. It was not a GFLOP count or marketing buzz words like "Emotion Engine". We could go on with seeing Halo for the first time, Gears of War, Uncharted 2, and Killzone Shadowfall in later generations but you get my point. But here is the question: if you didn't know the hardware specs of the system running those games, would that change how you looked at that system? In other words, if Kojima today mentioned that MGS2 on PS2 only used <1 GFLOP of performance, would you now look at the PS2 as being "weaker" than the Dreamcast (capable of a theoretical 1.4 GFLOPS) even though it clearly looked better than anything on the Dreamcast at that time?

In thinking with that, we should realize that all of this talk about TFLOPs and theoretical numbers is really moot at the end of the day and misses the point. If we understand that maximum theoretical numbers are quite meaningless in determining actual real game performance and we agree that the real world performance or demonstrative power is actual more meaningful to evaluate, then we should be focusing on which system will actually be able to deliver it's theoretical performance best to the screen. There are indeed a tremendous number of system components and variables that all have to play nice and align perfectly for a system to operate at it's maximum capacity. In truth, it almost never happens with real workloads but the systems that are perceived to be the most "powerful" are generally the ones that have come closest to it's theoretical maximums…meaning the ones that are most efficient. That truly is the name of the game…trying to remove bottlenecks and create a balanced system that can work together effectively is the really the art of designing a game console ( or any system).

I recently got into a back and forth with someone who shouted to me: Xbox Series X is clearly more powerful because "The numbers don't lie". I literally LMAO and shouted back "LOL. YES THEY DO!" There are countless examples of this and many on this forum have posted PC GPU comparisons demonstrating the lower TFLOP GPU outperforming (in real games) a higher TFLOP GPU etc. But there are 2 examples I want to remind people of in particular:

1. The first and more recent example of "numbers telling lies" is with the PS3 and Xbox 360 comparison. Now on paper, there is no denying that the PS3 had a much higher theoretical performance ceiling when you factored in the Cell, it's SPUs, along with the RSX GPU. Yet, most multiplatform games ran better on the Xbox 360. Why? Because the X360 was a much more balanced system that allowed developers to extract more performance with less effort than the PS3. In other words, it's "power" was much more accessible and the system more efficient. It's unified memory, symmetrical CPU design, and larger GPU with more parallel pipelines meant there was more power on tap in the X360. This was evident in many third party games throughout the generation but was very evident in the first few years (Anyone remember Madden 07 running at 60fps on X360 vs only 30fps on PS3). But other big titles such as Read Dead Redemption, Skyrim, Assassin's Creed and many others ran at lower resolution and/or lower framerates on the PS3. One way to categorize this at a high level of abstraction (not literal figures, just an example to illustrate the point) is that 70% of the Xbox 360 was better than 40% of the PS3.
  2. For those old enough to remember, the second major example of this was with the original PS1 vs the Sega Saturn. People may not remember but on paper the Sega Saturn was superior to the PS1 in almost every respect! More polygon pushing power, higher pixel fillrate, more RAM and VRAM, better sprite processing, higher maximum resolution and more! Yet and still, the vast majority of 3rd party multiplatform games looked and ran better on the PS1. Games like Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, and Wipeout are just some example where the Saturn version had poorer performance or was missing visual elements altogether. Why was this? Again, the Saturn was notoriously difficult to develop on and particularly to harness it's max potential. It featured dual CPU processors that was very tricky to code and in fact most developers literally ignored the 2nd processor altogether reducing the theoretical performance of the system by a tremendous amount. The PS1 on the other hand was well balanced and easy to get the desired level of performance out of it. For developers, you got much more out of it with less effort. Again, high level abstraction description: 60% of the PS1 was a lot better than 30% of the Saturn

So how does this relate to the current discussions around PS5 and Xbox Series X. Again let me reiterate, I'm not saying that one is more powerful than the other. In fact, by my comments in this thread I cannot say that until I've seen games running side by side on both. I believe like many that both will have their advantages in different areas. But we've been hearing and talking a lot recently about how so many developers seem to be singing the praises of the PS5 using big hyperbolic words like "masterpiece", "best ever", "dream machine" etc. The general excitement from the development community around the PS5 seems tangible and there isn't that same vibe at this time around the Series X (despite the higher spec numbers). Why is that?

We've heard things mentioned about the PS5 such as it's one of the easiest systems ever to develop on, it's very easy to get the power out of it, it removes many of the bottlenecks that have existed for many years, it frees developers from design constraints that they have been working around for decades etc. These kinds of statements all point to a system that will be extremely efficient and allow developers to harness more power for less time and effort. The fact that we haven't heard the same sorts of statements around Series X lead me to believe that the PS5 is in fact the more efficient between the two.

This means that you can get much closer (still not likely 100%) to that 10.28 TFLOPs of GPU power more consistently in actual workloads. This means that you can utilize much more of those 8 Zen 2 cores to doing meaningful work that that the player will see as opposed to "under the hood" tasks around data management, audio processing etc. This means that can actually achieve near 100% of the theoretical SSD read/write speeds without the traditional bottlenecks that have existed with HDDs in games for years. This means that you can get much more efficient use out of the physical RAM allotment because there is less wasteful or unnecessary assets taking up space.

The people that truly follow what I'm saying in this thread will realize that these things are much more exciting to both a developer and end user than some higher numbers on a spec sheet. These are the things that can make a meaningful difference in the quality of games we play in the next few years. These are things that will directly improve the quality of the software, which is really what delivers the next gen experience. This is absolutely cause to sing the praises of the PS5 as many developers have done.

Unfortunately for Cerny and the team at Sony, most of the real work and genius in the PS5 design is not easy to communicate to end users. It's also not something that end users can really appreciate since it's not something they can truly understand until they see the results. And that of course will not happen right away at launch in 2020. But ultimately, there is much to be excited about with the innovations Sony is bringing in the PS5 and the level of efficiency they could have possibly achieved.

So while I am not saying the PS5 is definitely more powerful (meaning more performance) than the Series X, I am saying that it is absolutely inaccurate to say that the Series X is more powerful solely based on TFLOPs ratings and other theoretical specs. In other words, despite what the numbers say it is entirely possible that we may see many cases where games are performing better (i.e. more complex scenes and/or higher framerates) on PS5. To use my analogy above: 85% of the PS5 maybe better than 60% of the Series X (for example). It wouldn't be the first time that the numbers did not tell the whole truth :)
I didn't read all of this but the fundamental flaw here is thinking multiplatform games demonstrates a console full potential rather than Exclusives.
A. The PS3 was more powerful than the 360 and the EXCLUSIVE games that took advantage of cell showed it. Multipats couldn't really design their games around cell because of budget, time and having to release on other platforms (PC, 360) etc...
B. Again sounds like your setting up multiplats as the standard between PS5 and XSX, not exclusives which doesn't work.
Both have different approaches, the PS5 is about ludicrously fast data throughput, which will fundamentally affect Game/Level design. While looking excellent.

Microsoft is more about cross gen development, at least more so than Sony. This is the key difference imo from a software perspective. If your designing your game that has to be able to run on last gen 5400rpm hdd and jaguar cores then increasing resolution and frame rates is ideal.
Long story short heres how i see it.
Multiplats PS5<XSX ( generally speaking)
Exclusives PS5>XSX (generally speaking)

Last edited:

Vaelka

While that is true to some extent, if you have better hardware you've got more to work with...

I didn't read all of this but the fundamental flaw here is thinking multiplatform games demonstrates a console full potential rather than Exclusives.
A. The PS3 was more powerful than the 360 and the EXCLUSIVE games that took advantage of cell showed it. Multipats couldn't really design their games around cell because of budget, time and having to release on other platforms (PC, 360) etc...
B. Again sounds like your setting up multiplats as the standard between PS5 and XSX, not exclusives which doesn't work.
Both have different approaches, the PS5 is about ludicrously fast data throughput, which will fundamentally affect Game/Level design. While looking excellent.

Microsoft is more about cross gen development, at least more so than Sony. This is the key difference imo from a software perspective. If your designing your game that has to be able to run on last gen 5400rpm hdd and jaguar cores then increasing resolution and frame rates is ideal.
Long story short heres how i see it.
Multiplats PS5<XSX ( generally speaking)
Exclusives PS5>XSX (generally speaking)

You don't even know what exclusives the XSX really has yet.
Microsoft bought a shit ton of studios that haven't showcased anything yet.

Considering how TLOU2 turned out I don't think that people should just assume that Sony exclusives ( especially sequels ) are automatically amazing or as good as the first.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xplainin

Banned
That's not really true. The Series X RAM is split with 10GB of GDDR6 @ 556GB/s and 6GB of GDDR6 @ 336GB/s

That CPU side will depend completely on how much of the PS5's Unified RAM will be used for games. This is the point of the OP, but many of you have dismissed it completely even though the 12TF number only represents the Series X GPU, not the console as a whole.
Considering the OS on both will use about 2.5gb of RAM, that leaves about 3.5gb of XSX RAM for the CPU and Audio etc.
And with the PS5 tempest engine, Mark Cerny himself said that the 3D audio could consume as much as 20% of the PS5 bandwidth.
The XSX has the faster RAM bandwidth solution. It just does.
Now you can argue that the XSXs extra bandwidth might not show much of a benefit on the pixels in the game, and until we get further in we wont know if it will.
The PS4 Pro had less RAM, less GPU power, less CPU speed and less RAM bandwidth than the XOX, yet 99% of people could never tell the difference between the XSX 4k image and the Pros checkerboard one.
Diminishing returns dictates that.
I'm far more interested to see what MS can do with ML than what the extra 18% of flops will do.

Last edited:
The CU delta is so small that you're not going to see any quantum leap of difference, at all.

And of course high texture assets have existed before lmao, the point is how fast they can stream on the fly now without occupying ram.

Also, sure series X has a good SSD and it's integrated well, better than PC currently, Sony's is on a whole other level however with coherency engines and latency efficiencies across the board thanks to custom controllers and more priority lanes, etc. This will make a bigger difference for devs than a 15% or so theoretical TF delta. Also I game on PC so no straw manning about being "SoNY FaiThFulL".

Both systems will have their own respective advantages over the other. Nuance please jfc. 😂

splattered

The CU delta is so small that you're not going to see any quantum leap of difference, at all.

And of course high texture assets have existed before lmao, the point is how fast they can stream on the fly now without occupying ram.

Also, sure series X has a good SSD and it's integrated well, better than PC currently, Sony's is on a whole other level however with coherency engines and latency efficiencies across the board thanks to custom controllers and more priority lanes, etc. This will make a bigger difference for devs than a 15% or so theoretical TF delta. Also I game on PC so no straw manning about being "SoNY FaiThFulL".

Both systems will have their own respective advantages over the other. Nuance please jfc. 😂

Every generation Sony tries to include something "new" or "different" and it always falls flat and comes down to the talent of the actual studios more than the tools they're using.

As people keep saying, it all comes down to the games.

ZywyPL

Banned
No offence OP, but I just couldn't get through all that wall of text, you especially lost me after the below paragraph, then the rest was basically digging your own grave by showing complete lack of knowledge, experience, and common sense, I dropped reading somewhere halfway through it, it was just painful.

Now of course let me state the obvious: at this point, nobody really knows which system is more powerful between the Xbox Series X and PS5. Why? Because nobody has seen both running in final hardware form up close with the same game side by side to do a comparison. So I'm not here to declare either one as more "powerful" but just to check some folks on claiming one as superior solely based on numbers on paper or video streams.

Of course everyone knows, it's like saying you can't compare standard Golf with a GTI until you take both on a drag strip, it's the exact same car, except one model is more powerful than the other, it's as simple as it can be. And in the same way both consoles are virtually identical: Zen2 vs Zen2, RDNA2 vs RDNA2, SSD vs SSD, 16GB GDDR6 vs 16GB GDDR6, one just has more powerful components than the other, that's really it. We could have argue if it was like Zen1+RDNA3 vs Zen3+RDNA1, DDR4 vs GDDR6, one having an Intel CPU, or NV GPU, but none of that is the case here, you look at the numbers and the power advantage XBX has over PS5 is crystal clear. But it doesn't stop there indeed, because as far as the so-called "efficiency" goes, on top of 12TF GPU XBX has stuff like VRS, Mesh Shading, and ML, to use its resources more effectively, rather than simply brute force all the unnecessary/not visible rendering, while so far, PS5 hasn't confirm to have any of that. Which BTW, what ever happened with all the "secrets" that were suppose to be yet unveiled? There was a rumor back in early April after the GDC presentation, that there's still a lot of information left to be shared, but a quarter passed and no new info was released...

But at the end of the day, for us, the end consumers, I don't think the power difference will be noticeable, like, at all, the games will be locked to either 30 or 60FPS, so we will never get to know if they could run any higher, maybe there will be some differences in the resolutions, like 1800p vs 2160p, which will be very hard to spot, which still, Sony showed quite a bunch of games recently already running at native 4K, so I doubt we will see sub-4K this generation like with Pro/1X, at least not in the games running at 30FPS. Maybe with VRR enabled, or unlocked framerate is a game will allow, we will be able to actually feel/experience the difference in the power levels, but that's about it. That's just how the consoles work, where the devs are in full control how the games behave/perform, if the weaker system will be able to hit 4K@30/60, then the stronger one won't get any benefits, the PS360 times are long time over.

Considering the OS on both will use about 2.5gb of RAM, that leaves about 3.5gb of XSX RAM for the CPU and Audio etc.
And with the PS5 tempest engine, Mark Cerny himself said that the 3D audio could consume as much as 20% of the PS5 bandwidth.
The XSX has the faster RAM bandwidth solution. It just does.
Now you can argue that the XSXs extra bandwidth might not show much of a benefit on the pixels in the game, and until we get further in we wont know if it will.
The PS4 Pro had less RAM, less GPU power, less CPU speed and less RAM bandwidth than the XOX, yet 99% of people could never tell the difference between the XSX 4k image and the Pros checkerboard one.
Diminishing returns dictates that.
I'm far more interested to see what MS can do with ML than what the extra 18% of flops will do.

Some of what you said doesn't really make any sense, especially the part where 3D Audio will use 20% of bandwidth. I think it's also worth noting that only 10GB of the Series X RAM is faster, which is why I said that advantage depends completely on how much RAM will be dedicated to games, which includes 3D audio by default. The Series X RAM is split so you cannot say with 100% certainty that Series X RAM is faster overall. Saying so without knowing how much of the PS5's RAM is dedicated to running and developing games just isn't accurate. Hypothetically, since the actual numbers are unknown, if Series X uses 10GB for games and the PS5 uses 13GB for games where will the advantage fall?

Last edited:
In paper I feel MS create a Pseudo PC called Xbox Series X it's just console brute forcing to gain graphical and performance for gaming purposes

While on Sony's aiming to eliminate bottlenecks,latency with revolution hardware that doesn't follow PC standard but a way of being a true console gaming experience

That's is my judge on this..... But I feel games will be the one will show the "result" of this agenda

How is this in any way possible when they are literally using x86-64 and have a beefier SSD I/O (i.e "brute forcing" the SSD I/O since we usually use the term 'brute force' in regards to power)?

If anything MS have spoken more on efficiencies than Sony, mentioning DirectML, SFS, BCPack, VRS, Mesh Shading features (higher sampling group size than even Nvidia's GPUs, at 2x the size aka 256 vs 128), dynamic latency input, executeIndirect and more. We've heard virtually nothing on any direct equivalents to this from Sony that are either direct equivalents or match up to some of MS's announced features (them referring to the Primitive Shaders for example doesn't mean too much since RDNA1 also had Primitive Shader units and Mesh Shaders supplant Primitive Shaders going forward. Same with Geometry Engine; it's AMD nomenclature and was already present in RDNA1, so either it's also present in RDNA2 GPUs as a default feature (thus XSX also has one), or it's been supplanted with something more efficient that is in XSX).

So if your opinion is your takeaway, you really haven't been paying much attention to the big picture 🤷‍♂️

teezzy

Banned
Your comparison would be accurate IF both systems were identical aside from the CPU, GPU, and HDD. In that case clearly the first system would dominate.

However, in the case of the Series X and PS5 there are far more differences than just the main components and those differences cannot be dismissed. Many of the other system components beside the GPU favor PS5 so how can we be sure that the Series X will be faster when we haven’t seen what it’s actual real world performance looks like compared to the PS5?

Because GPU matters more than most other components unless there's a major bottleneck? Given the design and specificity of the Series X, I highly doubt that's the case.

Vognerful

I was expecting a hardcore technical thread based on size of the wall. Turns out it's a bit of a rant.

I would say op, there is clear advantage in picking base PS4 over one s and vice versa with enhanced consoles.

Games are mostly the same except 10 odd exclusives per platform.

Only example you mentioned makes sense is seeing killzone shadow fall for first time. I would say it's counterpart is horizon 2.

But xbox is yet to show its full hand.

Who has said the PS5 will display greater detail than the XSX?
Its the GPU that puts the effects and details on the screen, not the SSD.
neoGAF

Tqaulity

Great comments guys. This was the point of this thread. Much of this was already being said by many around the forum but i thought it would be good to have it centralized and visible for more to see.

Let me add another nugget here. In terms of the efficiency difference between the PS5 and Xbox Series X, we can already see it in practice. Particularly with regards to I/O and SSD speeds we have some comparison points. Now mathematically, the full 100% utilization of the SSD speed for Seriex X would be 2.4 GB/s. So to load a full game into memory would take roughly 16 GB / 2.4 GB/s = 6.6s. So IF the Series X was 100% efficient with its SSD loads, then the worst case scenario for loading would be roughly 6-7s.

Now on the PS5 side, 100% efficiency from its raw SSD speed would be 5.5GB/s. Thus the time it would take to load a full game into memory would be 16GB/5.5GB/s = 2.9s. So assuming 100% efficiency, it should take worst case ~3s to load a full game into memory on the PS5. (NOTE: I intentionally did not account for compression. Worst case would be the data isn't compressed at all)

Now what have we already seen from both sides? Microsoft has already shown several demos highlighting the speed of their loading and quick resume feature. In particular, their official loading demo from their marketing team shows a the time to load a game on Series X compared to the Xbox One X. In that demo, the Series X took about 9s to load the game (for those that would point out this not being a great game to demo due to Backwards Compatibility, its the game their PR and marketing team selected! Believe me, if they had a better game to demo they would have).

Now what have we seen from Sony specifically with regards to loading. Well 2 things: one official and one unofficial. The official example which is great because it's in a live real-time game is in the Rachet & Clank demo on PS5. Go back and watch that trailer and count how long it takes for Rachet to travel to a new world through the dimensional rifts. He does this 5 times in the trailer and every single time, the new world was loaded in under 3s! Go back with a stopwatch and time it if you need to :)

The other unofficial demo of course is of the Spiderman PS5 loading demo. There we see PS5 loading a scene 10x faster than PS4 pro and doing it in just under 1s. Now you can say this isn't the actual game etc but it's still important because it actually demonstrates at least one example where the PS5 can load something in under 1s which was the goal mentioned by Cerny several times. Just as important, we actually see a real example where 10x improvement over current generation was realized. What a lot of people miss about this demo, is that the PS4 Pro was actually using an SSD! So that 8s load is fairly fast by current gen standards but the demo really highlights not just the raw SSD speed on PS5 but rather how PS5 removes the bottlenecks with the I/O and SSD bandwidth to actually get near 100% efficiency out of the raw theoretical specs.

If we go back to the Series X loading demo vs Xbox One X, the Series X did it in ~9s while the One X did it in ~50s. That's a great improvement for sure but that was only a 5x improvement over the One X which was using a standard HDD (as opposed to an SSD). Remember, PS5 demo was 10x over an SSD!

So guys, this discussion on efficiency isn't conjecture at this point. Everything that we have been privy to thus far including paper specs, direct communication from Sony and Xbox, and demos point to PS5 being the more efficient machine.

Now there has been talk about how some of those efficiencies can benefit the CPU and GPU as well as the SSD from developers and Sony directly. Things like how the Tempest engine, Coherency engine, Cache scrubbers, and other aspects of the I/O controller block will significantly alleviate the CPU and GPU allowing it to put more of its power directly into the game processing. IF the lengths of those efforts toward efficiency come close to matching what they've achieved with the SSD, then it is not far fetched to think that in real game workloads, that efficiency could make up for a 2% CPU advantage, 18% GPU advantage, and 20% bandwidth advantage...at least in some cases :)

SaucyJack

There is nothing on the PS5 that is going to allow it to get more out of the GPU than the XSX can. And in Fact, with the PS5 using variable clocks, there is more chance of the PS5 not getting the most out of it.

The reality is, even if the XSX can use the full 12.2tflops, and the PS5 can use the full 10.24tflops, its not going to make it look much better, if at all.
That's the only point that needs to be made here.

OK, thanks for confirming that you just don't understand the point being made.

The TFlops contest has got to stop. At least on this forum.

You can make the best game of the decade on 0.1 TFlops. It's meaningless, this pissing contest is making us get games like Death Stranding or TLOU2 that look incredible but the story is complete trash. Also the gameplay and AI is not getting enough love!

There are way better things to focus on.

Vognerful

Great comments guys. This was the point of this thread. Much of this was already being said by many around the forum but i thought it would be good to have it centralized and visible for more to see.

Let me add another nugget here. In terms of the efficiency difference between the PS5 and Xbox Series X, we can already see it in practice. Particularly with regards to I/O and SSD speeds we have some comparison points. Now mathematically, the full 100% utilization of the SSD speed for Seriex X would be 2.4 GB/s. So to load a full game into memory would take roughly 16 GB / 2.4 GB/s = 6.6s. So IF the Series X was 100% efficient with its SSD loads, then the worst case scenario for loading would be roughly 6-7s.

Now on the PS5 side, 100% efficiency from its raw SSD speed would be 5.5GB/s. Thus the time it would take to load a full game into memory would be 16GB/5.5GB/s = 2.9s. So assuming 100% efficiency, it should take worst case ~3s to load a full game into memory on the PS5. (NOTE: I intentionally did not account for compression. Worst case would be the data isn't compressed at all)

Now what have we already seen from both sides? Microsoft has already shown several demos highlighting the speed of their loading and quick resume feature. In particular, their official loading demo from their marketing team shows a the time to load a game on Series X compared to the Xbox One X. In that demo, the Series X took about 9s to load the game (for those that would point out this not being a great game to demo due to Backwards Compatibility, its the game their PR and marketing team selected! Believe me, if they had a better game to demo they would have).

Now what have we seen from Sony specifically with regards to loading. Well 2 things: one official and one unofficial. The official example which is great because it's in a live real-time game is in the Rachet & Clank demo on PS5. Go back and watch that trailer and count how long it takes for Rachet to travel to a new world through the dimensional rifts. He does this 5 times in the trailer and every single time, the new world was loaded in under 3s! Go back with a stopwatch and time it if you need to :)

The other unofficial demo of course is of the Spiderman PS5 loading demo. There we see PS5 loading a scene 10x faster than PS4 pro and doing it in just under 1s. Now you can say this isn't the actual game etc but it's still important because it actually demonstrates at least one example where the PS5 can load something in under 1s which was the goal mentioned by Cerny several times. Just as important, we actually see a real example where 10x improvement over current generation was realized. What a lot of people miss about this demo, is that the PS4 Pro was actually using an SSD! So that 8s load is fairly fast by current gen standards but the demo really highlights not just the raw SSD speed on PS5 but rather how PS5 removes the bottlenecks with the I/O and SSD bandwidth to actually get near 100% efficiency out of the raw theoretical specs.

If we go back to the Series X loading demo vs Xbox One X, the Series X did it in ~9s while the One X did it in ~50s. That's a great improvement for sure but that was only a 5x improvement over the One X which was using a standard HDD (as opposed to an SSD). Remember, PS5 demo was 10x over an SSD!

So guys, this discussion on efficiency isn't conjecture at this point. Everything that we have been privy to thus far including paper specs, direct communication from Sony and Xbox, and demos point to PS5 being the more efficient machine.

Now there has been talk about how some of those efficiencies can benefit the CPU and GPU as well as the SSD from developers and Sony directly. Things like how the Tempest engine, Coherency engine, Cache scrubbers, and other aspects of the I/O controller block will significantly alleviate the CPU and GPU allowing it to put more of its power directly into the game processing. IF the lengths of those efforts toward efficiency come close to matching what they've achieved with the SSD, then it is not far fetched to think that in real game workloads, that efficiency could make up for a 2% CPU advantage, 18% GPU advantage, and 20% bandwidth advantage...at least in some cases :)
Op, if you went through many SSD comparison on PC, you would know that if your game is not made to utilize SSD, you will have diminishing returns even if you used high speed SSDs. There is a famous video by Linus where he try to do blind test for different SSDs trying to run Doom. The difference between hdd, SSD and even Data III. But when. It came to SATA III and Nvme , no one could really tell the difference.

Second thing, you don't have direct comparison between the two consoles running a previous generation game. XSX demo was trying to show the benefits without optimizing the games.

Spider man demo was indeed to show that after optimizing your games to run on SSD, you can open big opportunities.

For R&C, as much I liked the game, how much data was the game was streaming? People are telling me it have loaded a full world in seconds. Really? How do you know? And if it did then that is actually inefficient since you are only teleporting to a small part of the map.

NullZ3r0

Banned
Fanboyism is about moving goalposts, not facts.

I don't want to hear anything about how TFLOPS dont matter when it was shoved down our throats all generation. Now that Sony has the weaker machine by 2 TFLOPS and 30% less CUs, all of a sudden none of this matters. Not buying it. Power is king.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
How many more of these massive pseudo tech talks do we have to endure? No matter how many pretty words you put out there trying to twist the narrative to 10>12, it doesn't change reality.

We DO know which box is more powerful, it's the one with 12tf, 52 CUs, dedicated HW raytracing, faster ram & CPU and a shit ton of software customizations.

Reality = 12>10

Last edited:

xPikYx

The thing is there is no next gen without the actual numbers that drive the power computation needed to the vision of the developers. Now sure is that if you want brute force, PC is the chioce no matter what, any games developed for this platform will have higher framerate and graphic effects, the thing is that a game to push the boundaries of that specific machine has to be built for that specific machine in mind, and this is specially true when looking at Sony's exclusive games and here is how really having the moat powerful machine doesn't really count, because generally speaking a game developed to run on multiple different machines are developed using a common denominator that does not affects the experience on the less powerful one, so when you run the said game on a higher spec machine what it gives you is just a little more effects added to it and better frame rates and resolution, nothing more, which is nice but it doesn't give you a completely new experience after all. The point of next gen is just rising up the specs of the common denominator so developer vision and baseline is supported by higher spec machines and that's all. Tge only game as far as I remeber that actually gave people an experience that was ahead of its time was Crysis. Crysis was the perfect example of how power really mattered. Today instead you have just to go for your preference. Want to play sony's exclusives? Buy a PS. Want to play a PC like game without the hassle of installing drivers, run into problems and such, buy a Xbox (hope the metaphore holds up),want the most powerful machine and run each game at its best? Buy a powerful PC. It's simple as that

soulbait

I am enjoying this so much. I don't consider myself a fanboy of either company, but I do usually go with Xbox first. This is due to me liking Xbox's controller more and I don't have an attachment to Sony from when I was younger (was a Nintendo fanboy all through school NES/SNES/N64 days) and didn't get a PS3 until I was an adult. I just prefer Xbox overall. However, I get all the consoles and I am excited to get a PS5.

With that being said, this past gen, I saw so many people attack Xbox for being the weaker console and so many Xbox fans twist and turn trying to defend their Xbox One. Rather than just saying, "yeah, the PS4 is more powerful, but I enjoy Xbox more", I got to see them try to make up a bunch of stuff on how Xbox One is "better" and then the Playstation fans laugh and mock.

Ya'll there is nothing wrong with liking something, even though when comparing power it is not as good as the competition. I love my Switch as well, but I will never write a wall of text trying to defend it just because someone says it is a weaker console over all when it comes to power. Same with Xbox or Playtation. Why waste your time? Why are you so invested where you have to prove it is the most powerful? What do you gain? Nothing is importance here, where changing someone's mind that the PS5 is more powerful than the XsX is going to improve the world today. Just enjoy what you like.

soulbait

MS: "industry experts" say Xbox One has "a better line-up", gamers "don't buy stats"

Microsoft's corporate vice-president Yusuf Mehdi has told investors that the upcoming clash between Xbox One and PS4 is great for consumers, and reiterated his colleague Albert Penello's claim that the statistical capabilities of each machine are "meaningless" in themselves.
"One of the things that has never happened is we go head-to-head with a competitor on a console launch. "Competitively speaking, so far, I feel like we have a much better... more complete value prop," Mehdi went on. "We do things that aren't found on other platforms with the Kinect, a huge piece of differentiation. As I said before, the fact that we do entertainment and gaming.

"And then even if you just take gamers, hardcore gamers, gamers buy for the game. They don't buy for stats on a spec sheet. And if you look at the games we have, according to most industry experts now, a better lineup of games."

Sep 9, 2013

Phil Spencer felt “even better” after knowing the PS5 specs

Apr 3, 2020

Phil Spencer "Just being honest" Claims Advantage over PS5

“Just being honest, I felt good after seeing their show. I think the hardware advantages that we have built are going to show up as we’re talking more about our games and frame rates and other things,”

Saturday at 2:20 AM

The past 7 years have been a goldmine. Microsoft will never stop, not to be manipulative, bending the rules to fit their narrative. Based on the games we´ve seen from Microsoft ... after overhyping the event, claiming for 7 years to have the best e3 line-up in xbox history (every january) ...

We better all have enough aspirin ready, because gonna be unbearable from now on.

Someone must not understand marketing and PR. Sure the guys in charge are going to say, "yup our console is weaker and our games this year? Well they are not going to be as good as our competition or the games from 2 years ago".

It is their job to hype everything up and make people believe they want to buy their products. It is the same as commercials that claim that diet soda taste the same, when everyone knows they don't (and in fact, most of the time taste like shit).

How can you be old enough to use a message board but not old enough to understand how marketing works?

Top Bottom