• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ready At Dawn Developing AAA Title, Self Funded And In Prototype Phase

Mista

Banned
the-order-1886-1024x576.jpg

Talking to GamesBeat, CEO Ru Weerasuriya revealed they were working on a new AAA production that they are funding themselves, and that they hope to take what they’ve learned from the VR projects they’ve worked on to that game to create a more immersive experience.
“Understanding that immersion, it’s something that’s hard to break away from now. We’re working on a triple-A console title right now as well, something we’re developing internally, and funny enough, a lot of the lessons we’ve learned about narrative and immersion and gameplay mechanics, we’re taking some of those lessons into console. It might not be the same display device, but the play agency we learned to do in this game—you’re always there. You can never expect the player to do what you want them to do. They’ll do whatever they want. That’s something we’re carrying with us to the console.”

Kacho

Gold Member
Hard to be excited when their last two games bombed spectacularly.

Will be interesting to see what it is at the very least.

DanielsM

Banned
Hard to be excited when their last two games bombed spectacularly.

Will be interesting to see what it is at the very least.

Very hard to tell on The Order 1886, it has very high production value but it is single player only so not sure on costs. I would not be surprise by 3-4m units lifetime sales with digitial. Below expectations I'm sure, but I wouldn't be surprised by a few dollars made. I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel, but because they did get about 90% of the game right i.e. music, graphics, sounds, setting, art, characters, story, voice acting, guns, combat... but than they kind of just didn't provide even close the amount of game play time in the game, oh and the QTE sucked big time.

Last edited:

DonF

man, sony dropped them way too fast. They make awesome games, very proficient devs, just need a better script or management. Maybe once the order was done they got the engine down and could develop a better game. The order was their first big console game and its incredible looking, even by todays standards.

Very hard to tell on The Order 1886, it has very high production value but it is single player only so not sure on costs. I would not be surprise by 3-4m units lifetime sales with digitial. Below expectations I'm sure, but I wouldn't be surprised by a few dollars made. I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel, but because they did get about 90% of the game right i.e. music, graphics, sounds, setting, art, characters, story, voice acting, guns, combat... but than they kind of just didn't provide even close the amount of game play time in the game, oh and the QTE sucked big time.

It would be stupid as hell not to give The Order one more try.

Look at Uncharted 1 and Uncharted 2 for example, Uncharted 1 was just a dry run for 2 and The Order is way better than Uncharted 1.

So Sony could potentially be missing out on the next Uncharted 2 by not giving The Order one more try.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
The order is far more interesting than uncharted. Such a cool setting, atmosphere, great twist on vampires, werewolves and the knights of the round. So cool.

I still blame the lack of some tacked on multiplayer. The campaign was fine. Typical shooter length. It had strong enough shooting mechanics where pvp would’ve added to the longevity and value.

It sucks that the order and drive club are both games I’d rather see more of than any kind of by he numbers naughty dog trash

Last edited:

pr0cs

lol no. The Order was terrible, and while the graphics were nice, it was trash. Uncharted 1 out of the gate was a good game, which is the exact opposite of the order.
Qft, There was so little interesting gameplay with The Order, which was a shame because it was a cool premise. They fucked around with graphics for so long they forgot to make the game fun and interesting.
Uncharted was what initially got me into Sony's ecosystem, it was rough but had its moments and had great characters

Aintitcool

Banned
The Order was more of an exercise on making next gen assets and "Cinematic" style game than it was about actually delivering a good gameplay loop. They were pioneering the nextgen development cycle with not a AAA team size.

I have to assume they profited and that sony thought graphics would sell it more than it did. Surprised it wasn't on PS+ yet.

Neolombax

It's a shame they're not working on the Order 2. I quite liked the Order. Every now and then I'd re-install and play the game.

The internet and wank-cunt journalists ruined this studio and unnecessarily ruined the order. It was and still is one of the nicest looking games on any console. It was a cool story with interesting characters set in a unique world.

Some say it was short? Me? I loved every last second.

I'm glad to see this studio back on their feet and I wish them nothing but the best in the future.

Qft, There was so little interesting gameplay with The Order, which was a shame because it was a cool premise. They fucked around with graphics for so long they forgot to make the game fun and interesting.
Uncharted was what initially got me into Sony's ecosystem, it was rough but had its moments and had great characters

I strongly disagree. The game didn't feel like it was meant to be 'fun'. It told a story in beautiful style.

Even if folk didn't enjoy it, the internet outrage and blatent fanboyism of the Microsoft camp, who were throwing a hissy fit because their console of choice was crap, was out of order. There was no need for it.

Constructive criticism could have seen The Order 2 with more 'fun' gameplay and who knows what else.

pr0cs

I strongly disagree. The game didn't feel like it was meant to be 'fun'. It told a story in beautiful style.
Sorry man but that's a cop out, if a game isn't fun or entertaining then why would I want to play it. Yeah but there were the usual suspects that were hating on it due to console wars idiocy but the fact is it simply wasn't a good game. I got it for $8 on a psn sale and still felt I overpaid for what it was... basically a tech demo with shooting thrown in.

DanielsM

Banned
Sorry man but that's a cop out, if a game isn't fun or entertaining then why would I want to play it. Yeah but there were the usual suspects that were hating on it due to console wars idiocy but the fact is it simply wasn't a good game. I got it for $8 on a psn sale and still felt I overpaid for what it was... basically a tech demo with shooting thrown in.

There is some truth to that.... I and probably others feel that those issues can be easily resolved. Literally, 90% of the game is top notch.... the way they put so little game play in i.e. combat is strange. The shooting and guns are great but the encounters were so very short and very few of them its really bizarre. The sections where your movement is restricted was bizarre and the QTE was not good at all. These issues to me can be easily corrected.... the base game play (gun combat) was actually real nice and the weapons were cool as shit, its just very bizarre that the game designer/s didn't realize there wasn't enough combat and that the QTE wasn't that great.

thelastword

Banned
It's funny that you would think an 8 game is where one element could have been expounded a bit more, and if that was rectified or improved it would shoot it up to a 9 or 10...Yet, Order 1886 sits at 63 Meta, yet it's a much better game than that....

1886 had everything, the characters, the setting, story backdrop, the graphics, the sound, smooth gunplay, physics........... The only issue it had was related to some game play mechanics related to stealth and QTE's....
RAD could have fleshed this out a bit better and we needed more of the game to be larger as it was towards the end...... They should also give Galahad more free reign when traversing/platforming as well.

Yet, these are issues that could easily be rectified in a sequel, I'm sure RAD has learnt a lot, particularly when they said players like to have the freedom to do what they want to do.....

1886 is ripe for a sequel, this could easily be a 9-10 series/game..... My advice, do something with the weapons, upgrade paths etc, the thermite rifle is awesome, make it even better, I want to use the arc gun much more, make lycans a normal enemy, give us a few more boss fights and antagonists and it's a wrap........

To each their own.

I've played a lot less fun games that haven't kept me engage for 1/4 of the time that the order did.

HotPocket69

Banned
Gimme Order 1887!

Loved 1886 despite its shortcomings (weaksauce "boss" battles, not enough Ratchet & Clank esque weapons, too many QTEs, etc) and I still think its one of the best looking games this gen.

What a fucking cliffhanger of an ending too...

lol no. The Order was terrible, and while the graphics were nice, it was trash. Uncharted 1 out of the gate was a good game, which is the exact opposite of the order.

As someone who just replayed Uncharted 1 a few months ago I'm going to have to strongly disagree, the shooting in Uncharted 1 is completely generic, the shooting in The Order not only feels weightier but the crazier weaponry makes it way cooler, Uncharted 1 is also shorter.

Make no mistake there's a lot of room for improvement for The Order, but it didn't deserve the negative reaction it got.

Toni

Ready for whatever Read At Dawn creates next. They need their big hit in the gaming industry.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
maybe this time they give us proper game instead of focusing too much on the graphics that would result in $60 E3 tech demo.

Bkdk

So more like they bet everything on this prototype and if they don’t get a publisher, it’s very likely this will get cancelled, why insist on developing AAA game anyway? Or is it just a advertising method for further fundraising? They should just do smaller projects and prove they are capable of providing gamers a fun gameplay experiences first before attempting another AAA project.

120v

i don't think there's any way around it, order was a failure. you can argue a sequel would've made everybody seen the light but they had their shot and blew it

isn't to say they aren't a talented studio, see: lone echo/arena. so there's something there but The Order isn't it

Last edited:
Top Bottom