• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Re-Volt July 29th Launch on Steam Trailer

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Re-Volt lets you guide one of 28 remote control cars through insane race tracks set in unusual environments. Curbs become huge walls, toys are obstacles, and everything is fair game to drive on, through, or over.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
isn't this game from 1999? why the fuck is it getting a steam release only now?
not that i'm complaining of course, i watched my friend play it and it seems like a very fun kart racer. just.... why now of all times?

Last edited:

clem84

Gold Member
Isn't Acclaim no longer in business? It's so weird seeing those relics from the past getting re-released.

Just looked it up. They filed for bankruptcy in 2004. The IP jumped hands a few times apparently.

In 2006, Throwback Entertainment purchased more than 50 of Acclaim's games, and vowed to bring such titles as Re-Volt, Extreme-G, Gladiator: Sword of Vengeance, Vexx, Fur Fighters and many other franchises into the next generation and beyond.

In July 2010, South Korean based company We Go Interactive purchased Re-Volt, [...] from Throwback.

Last edited:
Had some nostalgia for this, so went back and played my Dreamcast version and...woof. This game doesn't hold up well at all. The cars have no weight (appropriate for an RC game, I guess, but still not fun) and slip and slide all over the tracks at the slightest touch.

It may be fun for some people, but I've enjoyed the evolution of racing games to its current point, and it's hard to go back to 90s era stuff like this, Rollcage, the orignal WipeOut games, etc.

drganon

I remember playing an arcade version of this. As far as kart style racing games go, it was pretty fun.

Kadve

Hm.

Knowing the trend of modern rereleases it probably means that RVGL (a enhanced open source patch/port for modern systems) wont work with it.

Last edited:
When my uncle and I learned you could burn iso to CD for the Dreamcast, this was one of the first games.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
For the time, it had great graphics. And gameplay was a lot of fun.

BTW, here is the Steam page.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I remember playing this when I was younger. It run like shit on my PC back then but I didn't care, still had a blast.

Does anyone know if this supports local co-op?

Holammer

isn't this game from 1999? why the fuck is it getting a steam release only now?
not that i'm complaining of course, i watched my friend play it and it seems like a very fun kart racer. just.... why now of all times?
A lot of games only had GOG re-releases previously, or maybe rights issues complicated things.
Either way, we're getting more old stuff, even Speccy and C64 games. Nostalgia sells! I'd totally buy Diablo or Nox if they got Steam releases.

All the Gold Box SSI games were previously only on GOG.

Top Bottom