• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RDR2 tips 'n' tricks (aka I never knew that!)

MastAndo

Gold Member
Is anyone who did the money glitch worried that R* might do some cheeky patch later to punish those who used the glitch. Just feels like something they would do.

giphy.webp

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Study the animals fully to unlock that compendium 100%.

If you are running by on the horse, and you quickly examine to find out and did not spend enough time watching them (depending on the animal), you will not have a full unlock bar in the compendium. It does not take long, and you do not have to hunt them (as far as I know). You can study in the distance with binoculars. I have been having so much fun just watching nature. The characteristics they put into each animal just blows me away. Makes the world feel so much more alive.

Also, if he does not study them enough, you will notice in your journal his drawings for said animal are not complete. They are just an outline, and fill in more, the more you study. When fully studied, they come into proper realization in there. So much attention to detail!

Last edited:

AlexxKidd

Study the animals fully to unlock that compendium 100%.

If you are running by on the horse, and you quickly examine to find out and did not spend enough time watching them (depending on the animal), you will not have a full unlock bar in the compendium. It does not take long, and you do not have to hunt them (as far as I know). You can study in the distance with binoculars. I have been having so much fun just watching nature. The characteristics they put into each animal just blows me away. Makes the world feel so much more alive.

Also, if he does not study them enough, you will notice in your journal his drawings for said animal are not complete. They are just an outline, and fill in more, the more you study. When fully studied, they come into proper realization in there. So much attention to detail!

Studying does not fully complete many of them. Make sure you track them as well.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Also one thing about acquiring new guns (on the ground/looted) I found confusing at first until I messed around with it.

If there is a specialty gun (let's say a mission), it gives you the option to pick it up, but you have to "swap" for the one you are holding since you can only carry one of that type. At first, I thought I would lose the one I originally had, but that is not the case. The new gun you do not have will flash yellow on the ground, when you swap for the one you currently have for it, the one you swapped with will be now on the ground flashing in white. That means you already have it in your horse inventory (weapon wheel).

Thus, when you get on your horse, the flashing white one will disappear on the ground, and you now have the new one, and still your original.

Last edited:

Vaev

Also one thing about acquiring new guns (on the ground/looted) I found confusing at first until I messed around with it.

If there is a specialty gun (let's say a mission), it gives you the option to pick it up, but you have to "swap" for the one you are holding since you can only carry one of that type. At first, I thought I would lose the one I originally had, but that is not the case. The new gun you do not have will flash yellow on the ground, when you swap for the one you currently have for it, the one you swapped with will be now on the ground flashing in white. That means you already have it in your horse inventory (weapon wheel).

Thus, when you get on your horse, the flashing white one will disappear on the ground, and you now have the new one, and still your original.
Good point, very crucial when picking up weapons from gunslingers (they have cool, custom guns with engravings and better stats)

thanks! thats not very intuitive without prior knowledge. this games so deep that you can easily get lost in the depth of the mechanics

Last edited:

DryvBy

If you're a sick SOB like me, one cool thing is you can gib someone's head clean off by shooting it over and over after they're lifeless body is lying on the floor.

Vawn

Banned
Is anyone who did the money glitch worried that R* might do some cheeky patch later to punish those who used the glitch. Just feels like something they would do.

I didn't do it because I didn't want to lessen the experience. But, there is no way they'd punish people for doing something like this in an offline game.

Now, using an exploit like this in Red Dead Online, or any other online game or MMO, could very likely come with a ban of some sort.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
How are you even needing to do the money glitch? I’m not even on chapter 3 yet and I’ve used, like, $10,000 at least, and that was far more than enough to fully upgrade the camp and buy all available weapons? I would imagine by the time the others unlock I would have more.

No need to break the game :)

Zimmy68

I did 3 of the rare guns in the gunshop side missions yesterday.
The one in Valentine, I robbed the owner to get to the back, killed everyone quickly, just took the revolver and money on the table and got wanted.
It was only a small bounty, like $16. I ran, they shot me dead, when I awoke, I still had the gun, and I just went and paid the bounty and was done.
The other was the kid in the basement of gun shop/schofeild repeater one.
I killed the owner and had a small bounty on my, when I walked out of the shop I just surrendered.
I spent a night and got out.
I am not sure which way was better.

lefty1117

Gold Member
If you're a sick SOB like me, one cool thing is you can gib someone's head clean off by shooting it over and over after they're lifeless body is lying on the floor.

No need to be so sadistic, a close range shot from a double barreled shotgun will do the same! I happened to do it last night on a mission, and it was the slo-mo kill shot. Should have recorded it!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No need to be so sadistic, a close range shot from a double barreled shotgun will do the same! I happened to do it last night on a mission, and it was the slo-mo kill shot. Should have recorded it!

Are you playing on the PS4? Not sure about Xbox, but the PS4 has a constant recording, I think the last 15 minutes is default. I sent mine to 1 hour that way if something cool happens I can quickly hold the Share Button and then trim and edit the spot I want all while the game is paused.

Horns

Here's how to restart a checkpoint or an entire mission. From Reddit.

Press Left on the D-Pad to open your Log, click/press on the mission you're on, and hold Square/X to abandon it. It'll take you to the same screen as when you die, with the option to restart the checkpoint, the whole mission or to abandon it entirely.

AlexxKidd

Here's how to restart a checkpoint or an entire mission. From Reddit.

Press Left on the D-Pad to open your Log, click/press on the mission you're on, and hold Square/X to abandon it. It'll take you to the same screen as when you die, with the option to restart the checkpoint, the whole mission or to abandon it entirely.

This is invaluable. I've been looking to see if it were possible.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
yeah and watch your stamina it boosts a bit. I noticed it last night and when he was really low it boosted after i did it

Makes sense, encouraging your horse will make them want to perform better for you. So many details. Thanks for the tip!

Nymphae

Banned
The one in Valentine, I robbed the owner to get to the back, killed everyone quickly, just took the revolver and money on the table and got wanted.
It was only a small bounty, like $16. I ran, they shot me dead, when I awoke, I still had the gun, and I just went and paid the bounty and was done.
I killed the owner and had a small bounty on my, when I walked out of the shop I just surrendered.

What happens when you kill a shop owner? Does the shop just get a new owner the next day?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

So that is what happened to the paperboy!

Early on when I first arrived there, he was muttering that he wanted to do something about that paperboy outside of his shop. Then I noticed the paperboy was gone after the story mission bar fight.

I was hoping to buy the paper and read about my bar fight the whole town was talking about.

Last edited:

Lort

Banned
everytime my girlfriend "goes exploring" she gets a bounty and is wanted everywhere... So ya. Money Glitch is welcomed here, i had like 160$ last night and after she played it was about 65$

So ya i got a buncha gold bars, now she can do whatever i dont care because there is plenty of money.

Whats she like in real life lol?
In guessing shes not a play by the rules kinda person ( that is kinda cool).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If you are ever bored at work, or somewhere else...

You can use the online catalog via the App or Website to browse/purchase clothing and items, and they will be there waiting for you the next time you boot up the game.

Last edited:
Number one tip: don’t walk outside of the boundaries of the Uncle mission “Polite Society Valentine Style” near the beginning, the autofail will lead to a yet unpatched game breaking bug where people (John, Jack, Sadie, and Abigail) are missing from camp.

Number one tip: don’t walk outside of the boundaries of the Uncle mission “Polite Society Valentine Style” near the beginning, the autofail will lead to a yet unpatched game breaking bug where people (John, Jack, Sadie, and Abigail) are missing from camp.

I really wish there were better boundary warning signs

Snoopycat

Banned
You can get a great Arabian horse up by Lake Isabella. It's near the middle on the left side. It only takes a couple of minutes to track and calm it down.

I was really worried, hadn't seen Sadie for a while. Jack, John and Abigail have always been around though. Turns out Sadie is usually hiding behind wagons near the camp entrance. That blows so hard for people that did get the bug. That's at least a dozen or more quests up in flames for people.

Sad hint: There are no hookers in this game. One situation has you 'choose', and the two options are 'Decline' and 'Reject'. Every Bar and Hotel doubled up as a brothel in this period. While I can gruesomely dismember innocent civilians including women, I can't pay for sex? Feminists ruin everything.

Last edited:
I use 2 horses when I go hunting by using an old stabled one and a new stolen one

useful obviously cuz you can pack out twice as many large hides

Last edited:

Inviusx

I want to rob people in the wild without killing them but it always leads to a gunfight. Anyone figured out how to do this dynamically without using force?

Zimmy68

What happens when you kill a shop owner? Does the shop just get a new owner the next day?
I did not stick around long. After I got out of the clink, I walked to the train station and noticed the store was grayed out and locked.
Not sure if it ever wakes up again.
The same with the Dr in Valentine. He hasn't been open for business since the unfortunate event.
I'm not sure where my camp is stocking that cocaine gum from anymore.

are animal spawns random (respectively) or are there lots of specific rules to when/where they come out... obviously certain location, but like at certain times of day, or by certain food sources, or if i crouch and am quiet and still animals will start coming out by me...?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
If it’s a single person lasso them and hog tie them up.
Yeah, you can also do this with lots of man sized or smaller animals — and when they’re lassoed, you can press a button to kill them. Makes it easily to preserve the pelt, and you don’t have to do a bunch of sneaking, you can just chase animals on your horse.

Horns

Can anyone else confirm this? Far as I can tell dead eye doesn't regenerate naturally, not like health and stamina. And the only thing dead eye core seems to do is act as an extended dead eye meter.

I think you're right. Dead eye refills with kills or food/sleep. I am pretty sure dead eye drains faster when Author is tired. I am sleeping every few missions otherwise dead eye doesn't last as long for me.

If it’s a single person lasso them and hog tie them up.
yeah... if you want to rob... TBH, don't use the NPC Interaction -> Rob feature... not unless you don't mind gunfight...

cuz ppl in this game are assholes and half the time they will fight back -- it's like playing as Trevor in GTA5 lol everyone is an ass

you're better off just jumping them and doing something like hogtying them... maybe shooting their gun arm first and tackling them. I prefer to lasso them cuz you can drag 'em behind your horse off the road, and you're quickly away from any potential witnesses (likewise when you leave the guy... or body).

you can snipe ppl pretty far, too... and if a few seconds later someone else accidentally rides up on the scene before you go down there, you're far enough away you can get away without being spotted.

I usually snipe far from up in the hills to take out stage coaches. drop the driver and the passengers run off with no risk of spotting and identifying you. then you just circle around until (if needed) the heat dies down, and go grab your wagon. actually, works with trains, too.

biggest trouble actually in this game, similar to GTA, despawns shit too fast.

i've had wagons despawn on me many times while sniping and trying to circle around and such =/
are animal spawns random (respectively) or are there lots of specific rules to when/where they come out... obviously certain location, but like at certain times of day, or by certain food sources, or if i crouch and am quiet and still animals will start coming out by me...?
all animals seem to have conditions such as location and time of day... e.g. skunks and raccoons and opossums mostly or only come out at night, and usually only places with more greenery.

i was trying to get 2 perfect skunk pelts for the trapper boots and I kept checking near camp in the Heartlands because I remember I had killed some there before, but I spent over an hour and only saw a couple. the area on the map just SE of camp... just east of where there's a skunk on the actual map. and I found there are kinda spawn points... like there's a small copse just east of the skunk on the map (kinda just west, a tiny bit north of where that dead bison always spawns) where a 'varmint' usually spawns... usually a skunk or raccoon.

and i started heading kinda east toward the green grasslands with that creek that goes north to Emerald Ranch, and I found a lot of raccoon and skunk spawn along the grassy hillside (going east to the creek alongside the train tracks) and more so along the creek bed that goes north toward Emerald Ranch.

also, there are kinda set spawns. e.g. the dead bison i mention above, usually spawns and sometimes spawns an actual bison. but there are others, such as west of Valentine over the river, if you take the one path that goes up to the train tunnel, there's a spot there where on the left above the river (west side) where a grizzly always always spawns, sitting on its butt. and there's another just north of there (otherwise of tracks) by that little lake near the path that goes into the snowy mountains, there's a grizz that often spawns on the east side of that lake... sometimes wolves there, too, and they fight. up in the snowy mountains at Isabella Lake, too... there's a moose that can spawn on the lake where he's slipping on the ice and can't stand up for 10 seconds or so. i've seen it there a few times but it's not a guaranteed spawn... but it's always the same spot if it does.

i've spent like 100 hours on the game so far haha mostly hunting and you start to notice patterns, for sure. not a lot of 'guaranteed' spawns but there seem to be a lot of spawn points where a couple different things can spawn there. e.g. the spot near camp that always spawns a nocturnal varmint; the sitting bear I describe above, or that moose on the frozen lake, etc.

Last edited:
Got a pretty brutal one a couple days ago, mild location spoiler I guess.
Did that last night! Now to come up with a name for her.
I named mine Artax. It was pretty sad today when I loaded the game up and she randomly glitched and wasn't in my stable anymore :(

autoduelist

Thanks for this. With two small kids I haven't had much time to dedicate to the game. I'm only on my first mission after getting my first big camp. It's overwhelming trying to get back into it after a few days. I know I'll eventually internalize all the controls, for right now it's almost putting me off

Top Bottom