• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RDR2 tips 'n' tricks (aka I never knew that!)

cormack12

Gold Member
Up to date as post #106

Seems given a few other topics it might be worth cataloguing some of the more common issues people are having in the game so throw your tip in here and I'll update the OP. Some I've picked up, read and consolidated. I'll organise into categories once we get enough as well. All links will only jump to posts in this thread

1. Bring up map quickly by keeping hold of Start/Options
2. Fight controls (bare handed)
Grapple - Triangle or Y
Block - Square or X
Punch - Circle or B

Dodge - Square/X and direction
3. Build up horse bond by hitting L3 while riding to 'calm' it. Feeding it will also increase bond. Less nutritional/healhty foods will not have as much as an impact as healthy/nutritional snacks. Grooming it by equipping the grooming brush from the inventory. Also keeping ti clean by riding through water when it is muddy and patting it down;
4. Cores will drain over 90 minutes of real world time (doing nothing at all). You can check how long your core will last by going into Options->Player->Arthur
5. The drain speed is adaptive to to Arthur's condition. Being hungry, wearing incorrect clothing or hunting will drain the core faster.
6. The rings around the cores are related to the endurance of Arthur, think of them as stamina. Your stamina will regenerate over time;
7. The deadeye ring is different, you can refill this by killing enemies or animals (though each kill doesn't give you a ring boost);
8. Horse controls (when unlocked after bonding):
Rear - R1 + Square/X
Skid turn/stop - R1 + X/A
Drift - Hold Square/X and direction
9. Fancy holster by tapping L1 twice;
10. When rustling a horse you need to approach slowly with L1 and calm it with Square/X. You then have to put your saddle on it to make it your main horse.
11.You pay 80% of your bounty by turning yourself in and doing jail time. You also get fully rested and released in Valentine, so it can be a type of fast travel.
12. There is a $500 gold bar in the burned down Sheriff's building in the valley just down the hill from your camp (down and left on the map). Can also be exploited for wealth - patch version 1.02 - (Also, for the glitch to work, DO NOT take the horse pamphlet! )
13. The first upgrade to Dutch's tent makes other donate more, the second upgrade unlocks fast travel.
14. Hold down on the D-Pad to quickly change the mini map and HUD scale/visibility
15. In the clothing selection screen (starting with Outfits at the top) press X (Modify) to get some general options (clothing adaptive)
Roll/unroll sleeves
Buttoned/opened collar
Tuck pants in boots or not
16. Using the companion app on your phone brings up a real time Map similar to your in-game map, but it eats battery
17. Camp basics
18. Pearson basics
19. You can activate Deadeye aiming by lightly holding the right trigger like you would when you’re in a duel.
20. Auto travel/cinematic travel - set a waypoint, enter cinematic mode (touchpad) and then hold/tap X/A - be careful as when in this mode you can still collide with the world or environment
21. Press the left part of the touchpad to change the camera angle
22. When dismounting, keep hold of Triangle/Y and it will peg your horse, or alternatively while walking away, press L2 and select 'Stay'
23. Pick up the gunslinger quest from Valentine, use the pistols and revolvers, upgrading these should be OK to get you through the game. You will also geta rifle that can take you through the game in Chapter 2
24. Take it slow on horseback through towns, if someone runs in front and you knock them down it will raise your wanted level.
25. The resale value of horses to stables is extremely poor.
26. If you need to bathe, you can use the hotel in Valentine, or go for a swim.
27. You can set up a night camp by pressing L1, hit R1 to go to items, then in the bottom slot (progression locked)
28. Antagonising the wrong folk can also get you a bounty
29. Saying Hi and being friendly gives honour a small boost
30. To get a perfect skin, study your quarry (binoculars), make sure it is a 3 star rated animal, then hit R1 to show info. It will tell you the best way to get a perfect skin. Some animals require a specific weapon.
31. NPC's can escape hogties
32. You can manage stock online via the web here: https://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/rdr2/catalogue
33. You can insult the performers on the stage at the theatre
34. You can access the log when the prompt disappears by tapping left on the D-Pad
35. Eagle vision lets you find interactive objects indoors (L3 + R3)
36. Use 'Cover Scent' when hunting (can be bought from general store or crafted)
37. Legitimate ways to make early game $3,000 - here
38. Tapping Up on the D-Pad gives a short whistle, holding gives a longer whistle allowing you to customise your horse whistle
39. You can look at your pocket watch in first person to maintain immersion
40. There is a full game manual available on the RDR2 phone app. It's downloadable and includes full description of the controls.
41. Get drunk and ride your horse and you will start singing
42. Whilst aiming press Square/X to dive
43. Turning off HDR at this moment (patch 1.02) fixes the blurry look - Rockstar aware
44. If your dead eye has a red 'X' in the centre, it means Arthur is fatigued and needs sleep.
45. More responsive controls can be found via Broomsticks youtube guide - external link
46. To name your horse, take it to a stable
47. To get an animal compendium to 100%, fully study it AND track it
48. Avoid confusion when looting guns and read this post
49. The horse brush is unlocked via story progression
50. Fishing is unlocked via story progression
51. Interactive map cna be found online here with various filters etc. https://rdr2map.com/

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
  • You pay 80% of your bounty by turning yourself in and doing jail time. You also get fully rested and released in Valentine, so it can be a type of fast travel.
  • There is a $500 gold bar in the burned down Sheriff's building in the valley just down the hill from your camp (down and left on the map).
  • The first upgrade to Dutch's tent makes other donate more,t he second upgrade unlocks fast travel.

Last edited:
THANK YOU for this thread. Y’all are the real MVP. Most of this stuff I didn’t know

I’m still confused about the rings around the cores tho, can someone explain them further?

lefty1117

Gold Member
Good thread.

In the clothing selection screen (starting with Outfits at the top) press X (Modify) to get some general options like ....

- Roll/unroll sleeves
- Buttoned/opened collar
- Tuck pants in boots or not

Some of these options wont be available depending on what other clothes you're wearing. For example you won't be able to unbutton your shirt collar if you have a kerchief on.

partime

Using the companion app on your phone brings up a realtime Map similar to your in-game map, but it drains your battery faster than a fat kid chasing an ice cream truck.

Future

THANK YOU for this thread. Y’all are the real MVP. Most of this stuff I didn’t know

I’m still confused about the rings around the cores tho, can someone explain them further?

Rings are how much health, stamina, dead eye meter you actually have. The core determines how fast in regenerates back, or if can regenerate at all. Generally food and rest gives you cores and sometimes rings, where as tonics give you rings. I don’t fully understand what makes a core deplete though besides eating the wrong shit. I thought it was just over time, but my dead eye core depletes faster than the others all the time

Last edited:

LOLCats

Banned
  • You pay 80% of your bounty by turning yourself in and doing jail time. You also get fully rested and released in Valentine, so it can be a type of fast travel.
  • There is a $500 gold bar in the burned down Sheriff's building in the valley just down the hill from your camp (down and left on the map).
  • The first upgrade to Dutch's tent makes other donate more,t he second upgrade unlocks fast travel.

much obliged, gon' get me a gold bar after supper t'nite.

Elenchus

Banned
Thanks guys! This game is all I can think about today at work! Gonna be a long day but I cannot wait to try these out.

Found these videos helpful as well because they do not include any spoilers:

Basic Camp Guide

Basic Pearson Guide

RDR1 was my game of the gen so I am grinning ear to ear over RDR2! Glad everyone is enjoying it.

AlexxKidd

Whoa, whoa, stop the press. Does this mean I can sell that bar for $500 once I find it?

lefty1117

Gold Member
  • You pay 80% of your bounty by turning yourself in and doing jail time. You also get fully rested and released in Valentine, so it can be a type of fast travel

Lol my daughter will be so mad when I tell her this. She actually restarted her game after getting about $500 in bounties

Last edited:
Rings are how much health, stamina, dead eye meter you actually have. The core determines how fast in regenerates back, or if can regenerate at all. Generally food and rest gives you cores and sometimes rings, where as tonics give you rings. I don’t fully understand what makes a core deplete though besides eating the wrong shit. I thought it was just over time, but my dead eye core depletes faster than the others all the time

Oh, I was way off on what I thought was happening
So when I eat or sleep I just refresh my ability to regen those things, not the actua attributes themselves?

FatalT1

Banned
You can activate Deadeye aiming by lightly holding the right trigger like you would when you’re in a duel.

You can essentially get unlimited gold bars with an exploit in the old burned down town near the end of the Dakota River in the Sheriffs Office from a lock box:
1) Make sure you have no bounty and auto save is off
2) Open the lock box but don’t loot it
3) Stand over the box so the option to take the gold bar is showing in the bottom right but don’t loot it
4) Save your game, back out to the load screen, and load the save you just made
5) Head back to the lock box and loot the max amount of gold bars you can carry (you will notice the horse recipe/pamphlet in the box is gone)
6) Head to a Fence and sell all the bars for $15,000
7) Head back to the lock box but this time close the box then open it. This returns the horse pamphlet
8) Repeat steps 3-7 for ALL THE MONEY

There’s a fence in Saint Denis to the east but if you’ve unlocked the fence at Emerald Ranch, that’s the closest one.

Here’s a video guide to the gold bar exploit in the burned down Sheriffs office that’s helpful:

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
Auto-Travel: You cant simply get on your horse and have it take off on it's own but for long distances going from point A to point B Cinematic mode is your friend.

Set a waypoint, go into cinematic mode, hold down the A button. You can either rapidly tap it to go faster or just hold it down for a slow pace but it will take you to your waypoint destination with the hold of a button.

This game is filled with so many distractions this is a good method for not getting sidetracked on long rides and being able to enjoy a beverage while still making ground

Last edited:

AlexxKidd

You can activate Deadeye aiming by lightly holding the right trigger like you would when you’re in a duel.

You can essentially get unlimited gold bars with an exploit in the old burned down town near the end of the Dakota River in the Sheriffs Office from a lock box:
3) Stand over the box so the option to take the gold bar is showing in the bottom right but don’t loot it
5) Head back to the lock box and loot the max amount of gold bars you can carry (you will notice the horse recipe/pamphlet in the box is gone)
7) Head back to the lock box but this time close the box then open it. This returns the horse pamphlet

There’s a fence in Saint Denis to the east but if you’ve unlocked the fence at Emerald Ranch, that’s the closest one.

Here’s a video guide to the gold bar exploit in the burned down Sheriffs office that’s helpful:

Scratch what I said earlier, THIS will be the first thing I try. This is potentially gamebreaking, but there's no rule saying you HAVE to spend all that money? (Though, who am I kidding) :)

Couple of things on this.

1) That video is of a cave, not a burned out Sheriff's Office unless I'm missing something?
2) The gold there is 3 bars stacked inside the middle statue you unlock by hitting them in the right order
3) The guy in the video you linked has his autosave on
4) I'm trying this right now and mine glitched in reverse where I got the 3 bars, reloaded then come back and it's glitched OPEN with a bar in it, but I can't take it, lol.

I'm guessing the gold bar trick works on the other location as well?

It also doesn't always put you right near the cave like the guy in the video, it bounces me all over the area.

Edit: I'm guessing you could use this trick on other similar locations if you wanted something else. Though gold bars are probably one of the most valuable things so..

Also, another thing I notice about the cave. Once you have the statue open, every time you go back to it you get the cash register 'cha'ching!' sound.

One more thing as well, DO NOT SCREW up the order of the statues. It'll glitch you out of getting the 3 in there period as well. At least it did for me. Whole cave seems really glitchy.

Last edited:
Hmm yeah. Couldn't really get the gold bar trick to work in that cave. I managed to get it to give me one while playing around with different ways and reloading, but then I went back and couldn't grab any. Though it showed 2 more in there. Really odd glitch.

AlexxKidd

1) That video is of a cave, not a burned out Sheriff's Office unless I'm missing something?
2) The gold there is 3 bars stacked inside the middle statue you unlock by hitting them in the right order
4) I'm trying this right now and mine glitched in reverse where I got the 3 bars, reloaded then come back and it's glitched OPEN with a bar in it, but I can't take it, lol.

It also doesn't always put you right near the cave like the guy in the video, it bounces me all over the area.

Edit: I'm guessing you could use this trick on other similar locations if you wanted something else. Though gold bars are probably one of the most valuable things so..

Also, another thing I notice about the cave. Once you have the statue open, every time you go back to it you get the cash register 'cha'ching!' sound.

One more thing as well, DO NOT SCREW up the order of the statues. It'll glitch you out of getting the 3 in there period as well. At least it did for me. Whole cave seems really glitchy.

Hmm yeah. Couldn't really get the gold bar trick to work in that cave. I managed to get it to give me one while playing around with different ways and reloading, but then I went back and couldn't grab any. Though it showed 2 more in there. Really odd glitch.

From the YouTube comments:

Confirmed working more than once on ps4 pro (i.e. I've looted 6 so far and it's letting me loot 9). What I did: Have three saves (one just in case, two for glitch purposes) using same method as Bli7zTV. Loot all three gold bars by HOLDING DOWN SQUARE, don't press one, loot, then press again. Just keep holding that sucker. If you don't do this you will later see SOME gold bars but be unable to loot! That's what causes that glitch! Save IMMEDIATELY after getting the popup indicating the third gold bar has looted on the second save slot, as described. Rather than closing the whole game, just go to exit game after saving in the same menu area. Then after exiting just press x to go to story. Go back to the statue and the gold should still be there and able to be looted, as well as in your inventory. Loot again, save in save slot 2 again, repeat. NOTE: TURN AUTO SAVE OFF. Also for those still having difficulty here, there's an infinite duplication place outlined in this video.

Make sure to look at either my comment or the most recent one by the creator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLqYm0UkoOQ&lc=z22ghpfxfvuggb0u5acdp432x0kkzoml2v3fbwlor0tw03c010c.1540756897807459

How does that work? i paid over $100 with just $245 bounty on me.

how can you turn yourself in?

I'd like to know this as well. I had a big bounty the other day and I wanted to turn myself in because I got tired of constantly being a target. When I got off my horse with my weapons holstered they still began shooting. I spent $600 to pay off my bounty and I don't want it back anytime soon!

Last edited:

They posted the wrong video. You want this one:

You can retrieve your horse in any stable if you get too far from it due to missions and such. Just go to the owned section, select it and it'll give you the prompt to make it magically appear.

And for perfect pelts, you always need to carefully choose the right weapon for that particular animal, just check the compendium entry; aside from that, the animal needs to be in 3 stars "pristine" conditions and you need to basically one-shot it.

HotPocket69

Banned
Hitting left on the d pad brings up your log book

Buying the chicken coop for the camp will give the camp stew the power to refill your dead eye core as well as your health core

Buy the percolator in the general store to be able to make coffee at your mini camps

Vaev

If you turn on your Hunting sense (click both thumbsticks) in buildings it will highlight lootable items/cabinets/drawers. Helpful when scouring interior areas.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Lol my daughter will be so mad when I tell her this. She actually restarted her game after getting about $500 in bounties

I also heard you can put your money in storage (camp?) and turn yourself in and pay nothing.

how can you turn yourself in?

Just get caught by the law who search for you. You hold Y or something to put your hands up.

Whoa, whoa, stop the press. Does this mean I can sell that bar for $500 once I find it?

I think you have to fence it in Saint Denis, but you can also donate it to the camp.

Last edited:

MastAndo

Gold Member
Can you just hold onto these at your camp? I'm not at home right now to test this out.
It stores the 30 in your satchel, and to my knowledge, there's no way to hold/store more than that even at your camp.

That said, even the initial $15000 you can get from 30 bars is a game-changing tremendous amount of cash. I bought basically everything I wanted at this point in the game for myself, my camp and my horse and I'm still at a little over $12000. Yeah, some will say it's lame to exploit the game in this way, but personally, my enjoyment of it all has skyrocketed without having to micromanage money and resources to purchase and stuff, and having fast travel sooner rather than later. I can't say I'm really into that kind of management in games, to be honest.

EDIT: Also, for the glitch to work, DO NOT take the horse pamphlet!

Last edited:

DryvBy

It stores the 30 in your satchel, and to my knowledge, there's no way to hold/store more than that even at your camp.

That said, even the initial $15000 you can get from 30 bars is a game-changing tremendous amount of cash. I bought basically everything I wanted at this point in the game for myself, my camp and my horse and I'm still at a little over $12000. Yeah, some will say it's lame to exploit the game in this way, but personally, my enjoyment of it all has skyrocketed without having to micromanage money and resources to purchase and stuff, and having fast travel sooner rather than later. I can't say I'm really into that kind of management in games, to be honest.

I might do this and never sell them unless I get super lazy. I have too much fun worrying about money right now though.

AlexxKidd

Looks like I’ll be doing this tonight just in case it gets patched anytime soon. I tend to miss out on exploits like this so thanks for posting.

Yeah, this would be my suggestion as i suspect a fix for this to be coming in the firsr or second patch. They cant overlook this one, its insane and incredibly easy yo exploit. That said CDPR didnt patch the Witcher 3's Willis beehive glitch until more than a year after release so who knows.

Nodnol

Completely pointless (I think), but if you tap up on the D-Pad, it’s a short whistle to call your horse, whilst a press and hold is a longer whistle.

LordPezix

No money glitching for me, that shit is week.

Good posts and info though.

Had one pay off already for being good. I saved a guy from a bunch of wolves, later met the dude in a town and he said I could get any item from the Gunsmith on him. So I bought the Volcanic Pistol or whatever, saved me like $240.

This game is amazing.

Yup, not glitching and not letting anything 'alter' my experience. I want to know how people have started their game ?

I have hard time earning money and i know this is by design so im not forcing the issue, although i do find myself haunting more often than not compared to the rdredemption, i think they've got the hunting right. Also, not jumping to the main mission as i want to savor the SP experience but the only way to upgrade equipment in the beginning is by doing missions as they have some hefty pay. I think the game expects you to do preliminary missions but its tough for someone like me who likes to max out side stuffs, when everything is tied behind the economy system. For eg. upgrading equipment is tied to the economy as well, and the side stuffs, including selling merchs doesn't contribute much.

Also, i like the idea of exploring the map as the story progresses as some mission have their own way of unraveling a location, much like when you
first move away from the Grizzlies
. Other than that, im in constant awe and cant get over how beautiful the game looks.

lefty1117

Gold Member
Yup, not glitching and not letting anything 'alter' my experience. I want to know how people have started their game ?

I have hard time earning money and i know this is by design so im not forcing the issue, although i do find myself haunting more often than not compared to the rdredemption, i think they've got the hunting right. Also, not jumping to the main mission as i want to savor the SP experience but the only way to upgrade equipment in the beginning is by doing missions as they have some hefty pay. I think the game expects you to do preliminary missions but its tough for someone like me who likes to max out side stuffs, when everything is tied behind the economy system. For eg. upgrading equipment is tied to the economy as well, and the side stuffs, including selling merchs doesn't contribute much.

Also, i like the idea of exploring the map as the story progresses as some mission have their own way of unraveling a location, much like when you
first move away from the Grizzlies
. Other than that, im in constant awe and cant get over how beautiful the game looks.

You'll do some pretty big jobs at the end of chapter 3 that will lead to good payouts. Do that and a couple of home invasions and you'll have plenty of money. I was able to max out my camp near the end of chapter 3.

Top Bottom