• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RDR2 tips 'n' tricks (aka I never knew that!)

managed to rob a train and blow both 2 safes with no Wanted Bounty

kinda slow and game-y... basically involves leaving the scene immediately after each crime (e.g. getting rid of a guard and luring the rest away)

kinda annoying, in that if you kill the caboose guard, another guard nowhere nearby always shows up within moments, and you end up with a Bounty. and when I try move the train, no matter no one around, you get Wanted within about 15 seconds and lawmen insta-spawn nearby you and you get a Bounty pretty fast because they chase you down on horses so fast.

i basically had to leave the scene before they even started investigating ... and had to do a lot of circling to make sure the train doesn't despawn (if I went much further it would have... it's not as bag as wagons or pelts tho).

kinda a lot of work for a couple money clips or smaller jewelry bags but was fun to do for roleplay or head canon reasons haha

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I love the ability to blow heads off (of course), but all corpses have that same neck-shape after their heads get blown off. I would really have appreciated some more variety/dynamic gibbing.

Ungrateful bastard.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
managed to rob a train and blow both 2 safes with no Wanted Bounty

kinda slow and game-y... basically involves leaving the scene immediately after each crime (e.g. getting rid of a guard and luring the rest away)

kinda annoying, in that if you kill the caboose guard, another guard nowhere nearby always shows up within moments, and you end up with a Bounty. and when I try move the train, no matter no one around, you get Wanted within about 15 seconds and lawmen insta-spawn nearby you and you get a Bounty pretty fast because they chase you down on horses so fast.

i basically had to leave the scene before they even started investigating ... and had to do a lot of circling to make sure the train doesn't despawn (if I went much further it would have... it's not as bag as wagons or pelts tho).

kinda a lot of work for a couple money clips or smaller jewelry bags but was fun to do for roleplay or head canon reasons haha

I was pissed when I hopped on a train and started killing people, and a bounty came up. I mean, shouldn’t there only be a bounty if the train stops, people get off, and get to a town? I just sort of feel like it discourages train robberies, which, when they happen dynamically, are some of the coolest parts of the game.

v0mitg0d

oh sheesh this should probably have gone in here. Found out how to access that secret room in the Gunsmith's shop in Saint Denis.

I was pissed when I hopped on a train and started killing people, and a bounty came up. I mean, shouldn’t there only be a bounty if the train stops, people get off, and get to a town? I just sort of feel like it discourages train robberies, which, when they happen dynamically, are some of the coolest parts of the game.
the biggest problem is how crimes being Reported don't always require them getting to town to a lawman... sometimes they just need to get away (out of draw distance I guess) and other times it seems like crimes are just auto Reported (e.g. kill someone on a train or even driving a train).

worse, once Reported, the lawmen spawn nearby and basically no matter what, soon as they get within 'proximity' (LOS doesn't matter), you automatically get Identified.

only way I was ever to rob a train without a Bounty or being Identified (e.g. that video I posted) was by basically leaving the scene instantly after committing each crime (if someone dies; if you drive the train; etc).

and it's super unreliable because the lawmen can spawn so randomly near you... and also because as you try outrun them, the train can disappear -_-

moreover, it's slow and kinda 'gaming' the system since it I only killed one guard and lured the rest out and they never return. the lawmen giving up, and then the train just sitting there (no guards or lawmen return to protect or recover the train) feels pretty weird, too.

it does work if you want to rob a train without a Bounty for, say, trying to play no bounties/no detection or something haha... or just role play / head canon.

but in terms of efficiency, you're better off robbing a train high up on a huge bridge or maybe in a really deep long tunnel, and just doing it much more quickly, accepting the $60-80ish Bounty, and just taking your profits to pay it off. probably a much higher $/hour.

Last edited:

Halo0629

I've been playing the game for 100 hours already and didn't know that you can actually dive ala max payne by pressing square/x while aiming. Lol!

Inuteu

You can get a great Arabian horse up by Lake Isabella. It's near the middle on the left side. It only takes a couple of minutes to track and calm it down.

I found it a lot harder to tame than a regular wild horse

It ran away and I coudnt track anymore

reloaded the game and the horse is not there anymore

I wonder in how much time in game days it will take to the horse respawn

Snoopycat

Banned
I found it a lot harder to tame than a regular wild horse

It ran away and I coudnt track anymore

reloaded the game and the horse is not there anymore

I wonder in how much time in game days it will take to the horse respawn

It bumped me and ran off but I saw it going up into the hills and I found it after a wee trek. I'd make a camp outside the area then go back and have a look around.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It bumped me and ran off but I saw it going up into the hills and I found it after a wee trek. I'd make a camp outside the area then go back and have a look around.

Same here, when she bucked me and took off, I just kept persistent and followed her. Took me on a little hike north around the lake, but kept with the calming spam and moving slow. The second attempt I was able to tame.

Last edited:

AlexxKidd

the biggest problem is how crimes being Reported don't always require them getting to town to a lawman... sometimes they just need to get away (out of draw distance I guess) and other times it seems like crimes are just auto Reported (e.g. kill someone on a train or even driving a train).

worse, once Reported, the lawmen spawn nearby and basically no matter what, soon as they get within 'proximity' (LOS doesn't matter), you automatically get Identified.

only way I was ever to rob a train without a Bounty or being Identified (e.g. that video I posted) was by basically leaving the scene instantly after committing each crime (if someone dies; if you drive the train; etc).

and it's super unreliable because the lawmen can spawn so randomly near you... and also because as you try outrun them, the train can disappear -_-

moreover, it's slow and kinda 'gaming' the system since it I only killed one guard and lured the rest out and they never return. the lawmen giving up, and then the train just sitting there (no guards or lawmen return to protect or recover the train) feels pretty weird, too.

it does work if you want to rob a train without a Bounty for, say, trying to play no bounties/no detection or something haha... or just role play / head canon.

but in terms of efficiency, you're better off robbing a train high up on a huge bridge or maybe in a really deep long tunnel, and just doing it much more quickly, accepting the $60-80ish Bounty, and just taking your profits to pay it off. probably a much higher $/hour.

Whenever the "Witness" thing pops up I find it annoying that the "witness" in question does not appear on my map. So basically I have to look around to try to find who I need to catch but they could be anywhere, not to mention the "witcher senses" view doesn't appear to highlight humans unless you're very close to them. When a potential witness is afoot, they should appear on your map so you know who to track down.

Nymphae

Banned
Whenever the "Witness" thing pops up I find it annoying that the "witness" in question does not appear on my map. So basically I have to look around to try to find who I need to catch but they could be anywhere, not to mention the "witcher senses" view doesn't appear to highlight humans unless you're very close to them. When a potential witness is afoot, they should appear on your map so you know who to track down.

They always do for me. It's a red icon on the mini map, I think it's an eye.

edit: moved blurb to the OT, since this is just tips/tricks thread

Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but I don't recall seeing them in the last two or three instances "witness" popped up and was making it a point to look.
definitely a red eye pops up on the map whenever a witness becomes active. dunno if on the mini map as i play with mine off, but its on the large overall map for sure.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
If you buy the larger saddle bags at a stable, you can carry up to 4 outfits rather than 3.

I found investing that 400$ to get a boat for your camp is kind of a waste.

Nymphae

Banned
Is there a way for me to save 2 custom outfits? I want to have my main Arthur outfit, and then an outfit of the exact same thing but without the coat on. I was dicking around trying to make this happen but it seemed like I could only edit one outfit.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Is there a way for me to save 2 custom outfits? I want to have my main Arthur outfit, and then an outfit of the exact same thing but without the coat on. I was dicking around trying to make this happen but it seemed like I could only edit one outfit.

Yes, you can save a bunch of them. I have 3 customs so far, and as mentioned above, you can store 4 outfits on your horse with the upgraded saddle bags.

Nymphae

Banned
Yes, you can save a bunch of them. I have 3 customs so far, and as mentioned above, you can store 4 outfits on your horse with the upgraded saddle bags.

Hmm, going to have to watch videos on this I guess. I tried for a while and couldn't get it to work.

AlexxKidd

If you buy the larger saddle bags at a stable, you can carry up to 4 outfits rather than 3.

I found investing that 400$ to get a boat for your camp is kind of a waste.

Yes because...

You get one free via the story not long after the option to pay for one becomes available.

v0mitg0d

Lot of people have kindly praised my Camp Basics/Pearson guides, so I threw everything into a single video. I tried to pack as much basic info into an easy to understand guide. Hope this helps!

Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but I don't recall seeing them in the last two or three instances "witness" popped up and was making it a point to look.
Maybe once or twice (I don't do it very often, granted) that I've had a 'Witness' in-town, I may not have had one on the mini-map either. I'm not sure and maybe it was just a bug, but it felt a little bit like GTA5, where if you commit a crime with enough people around, it doesn't require a 'witness to call police' but you just get an automatic 2 stars. I rarely commit crime openly in town though so I'm not sure.

But in the wilderness, I've definitely always had a Witness on the mini-map appear... and usually one that believable rides up to the scene. I add that just because some ppl say they've felt it was cheesy, as if one randomly just spawned in the woods... just in my experience, even if it felt that way at first, when I got back and check there always ends up being some place that has traffic in general play (even if it's a random hunter or something off the beaten path).

There was one or two times where I pretty confidently said 'FFS!' where I couldn't believe there was a witness (shooting a horse a good 100m into the woods lol) but even there technically I went back and did see there was technically traffic on a path nearby (granted, kinda unbelievable LOS 'detection' but I guess if they heard the gunshot and look maaaybe they could do see.

The way lawmen spawn and identify you is still pretty lame IMO but so far the Witness system mostly has been good for me in terms of always having a in-game tangible 'traffic source' that naturally does spot it. Improvement over GTA5 for sure, at least haha.

Solarstrike

You can load up two horses with skins and animal carcasses. When out in the field, be sure to bond with a second horse but make sure it's following you when hunting from your main horse. When both horses are at storage capacity, go to a butcher, your camp, or fence to sell the skins and pelts

Horse cargo capacity:
1 large animal carcass or Legendary skin (alligator, snapping turtle, crocodile, bear, bison, etc) can be stored on the back of each horse
1 small animal carcass can be tied to each side of the horse (pheasant, duck, fox, turkey, etc)
Multiple pelts/skins can be stored on the back of each horse even if you have large animal carcass on board already

note: With both horses loaded up with skins and carcasses, it might be possible to lasso one more animal and drag it along in tow. I haven't tried it yet though

Top Bottom