• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RDR2 - Ampere Architecture Optimization Tips to Increase Performance (Owners of AMD & non-Ampere GPUs are also welcome!)

Md Ray

I know, a bit late with the PC performance-related thread for RDR2 now, but since DLSS is right around the corner for this game and a lot of you might jump back into it to test it so I figured this might be helpful. Anyway, I'll cut to the chase.

Specs:
Ryzen 7 3700X
RTX 3070
16GB DDR4-3200

(This is not a graphics tweaking guide)

Graphics quality used: Custom (Ultra-High)
Resolution: 1440p

DX12: ReBAR: off, transfer queues: off, async compute: off - FPS: 78.13 - BASELINE
ZnqumLf.png

If you are playing the game using DX12 API on an Ampere GPU for some reason, then consider enabling resizable bar, if your system (motherboard+CPU) happens to support it. Guide here.

Let's enable ReBAR only.

DX12: ReBAR: on, transfer queues: off, async compute: off - FPS: 83.66 +7% BOOST!
OVA05il.png

Enabling transfer queues (more on this below) may add another 0.5 or 1fps further.

Let's switch to Vulkan API now with ReBAR off for a baseline:

VULKAN: ReBAR: off, transfer queues: off, async compute: off - FPS: 87.82 +5% BOOST!
piqDR6n.png

You may think enabling ReBAR w/ Vulkan will carry over the perf improvement you saw with DX12, but that's not the case. I found no improvement w/ ReBAR on + Vulkan. In fact, there was a slight regression. Margin of error stuff, really. So it doesn't make much of a difference whether ReBAR is on or off when using Vulkan.

VULKAN: ReBAR: on, transfer queues: off, async compute: off - FPS: 87.46 -0.4% REGRESSION!
u7gBhTe.png

Now, let's enable transfer queues and keep ReBAR on as is!

VULKAN: ReBAR: on, transfer queues: on, async compute: off - FPS: 92.49 +6% BOOST!
Vr9GTIJ.png

An overall boost from DX12 baseline (78fps) to Vulkan w/ transfer queues enabled (92.5fps) is a nice, near +20% uplift with no impact to visual quality on Ampere architecture! :messenger_ok:
That's like a difference between a juddery, unstable ~50fps to a locked 60fps, all without reducing any graphics settings.

Here's how you enable transfer queues:

Documents > Rockstar Games > Red Dead Redemption 2 > Settings > system.xml

"true" = on
false = off

S2QU6JS.png

-Transfer queues is likely a Vulkan-specific feature as enabling/disabling this using DX12 made no difference in perf whatsoever, at least on an Ampere GPU, however, there was a noticeable uplift with VK API.

-Enabling ReBAR benefits DX12, but it made no difference with Vulkan (so I recommend keeping ReBAR on, anyway).

-Finally, async compute. Enabling this decreased perf by a small percentage using Vulkan. With DX12 - there were straight-up crashes every time on RTX 3070. So it's best to keep it off on NVIDIA hardware (Ampere specifically). I suspect it's meant for AMD GPUs. Those GCN and RDNA architectures will likely benefit from it. I feel even NVIDIA's Turing architecture may benefit from it for reasons. I don't know, play around with async compute if you have a non-Ampere card.

Async on vs off stats:
Enabled: 85.88.5fps
Disabled: 87.5fps

As usual, your mileage may vary, these are my findings using an RTX 3070, so these tweaks may not apply to, say, RDNA 2, and the performance characteristics will likely be completely different for you. I encourage you to experiment with different combinations of APIs, async compute on/off along with transfer queues, etc.

Last edited:

Md Ray

I'm on a VRR display, so if I can't get a locked 120fps, my next perf target is 90fps.

So going from an unstable 78fps to over 90+fps avg. was a nice performance win with these simple .xml tweaks and without downgrading the resolution or graphics any further.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
"it's not a bug, it's a feature". The games has fixed animations that while beautiful have a negative impact on the gameplay, there's nothing that can be done about it, sadly.
It takes a gigantic time for the animations to start. They can fix at least this.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I'm waiting until I can just run this at (reasonable) max settings at native 4K at 60fps. Can't be bothered fucking around like this and its awful feeling at 30fps.

Thinking I'll need a 4080 or the like, judging by this.

Md Ray

I'm waiting until I can just run this at (reasonable) max settings at native 4K at 60fps. Can't be bothered fucking around like this and its awful feeling at 30fps.

Thinking I'll need a 4080 or the like, judging by this.
4080 isn't needed. Near max settings, 4K 60fps is achievable even with an RTX 3070 (I just tried it). So even a 3080 should be more than capable.

With DLSS on the horizon, a fully maxed 4K 60+fps should be a piece of cake for these GPUs.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Real life does not have input lag.
It actually does :D. There is a measurable delay between when you think of doing something, when the electric impulse reaches your muscles, and when the movement starts.

The OP gave me a bookmarkable post of why I prefer to game on Consoles and think having too many graphics preference setting in console games is reducing freedom but it is essentially to the console experience (devs is incentivised to make sane defaults). It feels like I would be optimising the game for the devs as choosing those settings is kind of part of a dev and art director’s job IMHO ;).

It is nice for PC users to mod games and adapt them to their liking, it is what makes gaming in PC… gaming on PC :).

Last edited:

Md Ray

Guys, post your TQ on vs off results from your AMD and non-Ampere NVIDIA GPUs. Curious to see them. 🙂

Last edited:
I only got my gaming pc 2 weeks ago and I'm playing this game for the first time. Things I hate about the game:
- Press E to loot, takes way too long because of the animation.
- All the bullshit about cleaning your guns
- Cleaning horse, wtf...
- Using cheats = saving disabled...
- Dumb ass fetch quests.
- prompts i.e. 'press E to do this' while it should've just been part of the cutscene
- takes too long to fast travel. Build camp > press button > load > finally you're there
- cops spawn everywhere in the town.
- Some incredibly dull missions which are basically fetch missions.
- camp management, I ignore it all together. Complete bullshit.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
I only got my gaming pc 2 weeks ago and I'm playing this game for the first time. Things I hate about the game:
- Cleaning horse, wtf...
- Dumb ass fetch quests.
- prompts i.e. 'press E to do this' while it should've just been part of the cutscene
- takes too long to fast travel. Build camp > press button > load > finally you're there
Seems ur not getting in the spirit of the slow western life. Its not gta

Thebonehead

Banned
- Cleaning horse, wtf...
- Dumb ass fetch quests.

You need to add the following to the settings file

<noAnimations value="true" />
<autocleanGuns value="true" />
<autocleanHorse value="true" />
<dumbAddFetchQuests value="false" />
<excitingMissions value="true" />
<noCops value="true" />

oh and

<stopWhiningAboutRDR2 value="true" />

Vick

Gold Member
- Cleaning horse, wtf...

- Dumb ass fetch quests.
Yeah.. luckily, this R* passion project was not made for you. I'd find something else to invest time on.

Makes me wonder what newcomers would think of the original 1.00 version, by far my favorite, where looting animations take even longer and there's no camp fast travel altogether..

And a way less arcadey horse handling as well, along with many, many differences. Such a shame it lacks weapons lockers and pajamas though.

With a R* as bold as CDPR with the mature content, instead of cutting it entirely last moment, a less cartoonish Sadie Adler, some ridiculous content here and there toned down (Italians 100% bad, French 100% good, Chinese 100% good, Native Americans 100% good, etc.), a proper
Marston model like his NPC version instead of the frankensteinish shit we got in the end, and a chance of obtaining the Legend of the East outfit as Arthur without having to resort to glitches
(which are super fun and challenging though), i'd regard this as the best game ever made.

It actually does :D. There is a measurable delay between when you think of doing something, when the electric impulse reaches your muscles, and when the movement starts.

The OP gave me a bookmarkable post of why I prefer to game on Consoles and think having too many graphics preference setting in console games is reducing freedom but it is essentially to the console experience (devs is incentivised to make sane defaults). It feels like I would be optimising the game for the devs as choosing those settings is kind of part of a dev and art director’s job IMHO ;).

It is nice for PC users to mod games and adapt them to their liking, it is what makes gaming in PC… gaming on PC :).
soon to be a thing of the past...who's down??

Approach - Neuralink

ei01ktd.png

Top Bottom