• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RDNA 3 To Offer More Than 50% Performance Per Watt Over RDNA 2, Confirmed To Be Chiplet Based.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I hope they wait for rdna 4 in

I will be interested to see what they do, buy a mid gen console with about double the GPU performance is really not worth it for me, we can already see on PC what sort of improvements it will offer, better rt reflections, better draw distance etc, i can hardly tell.

I will be interested to see what they do, buy a mid gen console with about double the GPU performance is really not worth it for me, we can already see on PC what sort of improvements it will offer, better rt reflections, better draw distance etc, i can hardly tell.
If they wait till rdna 4 it will be closer to a 2.5x jump (assuming 2024-2025) I don’t care about better visuals it can be used to amp the framerate (maybe offer 240hz support on some games)

Sosokrates

If they wait till rdna 4 it will be closer to a 2.5x jump (assuming 2024-2025) I don’t care about better visuals it can be used to amp the framerate (maybe offer 240hz support on some games)
Yes it will help in games which are not cpu bound.

GPUs are latency sensitive and chiplet design could introduce a lot of problems like stutter in games
Not really.
GPU's are bandwidth sensitive. Latency has never really been a problem as far as I can remember, because GDDR has absolutely awful latency compared to DDR.

Cryio

A friend of mine thinks RX 7000 flagship will be 10, maybe 20% faster than the 3090 Ti in rasterization.
I showed him benchmarks placing 6950 XT today at 5% faster in 1080p, same performance in 1440p and 6% slower in 4K.

He thinks an RDNA3 GPU that has 50% or 100% cores, higher clocks and uArch improvements than 6950 XT will yield just a 20% improvement, lmao.

I think it's going to be 50%+ easily.

Hot5pur

AMD very much brought it with RDNA2 and beat Nvidia in many segments. I think AMD will have the price/performance crown next gen and performance/watt, but will they catch up with FSR2 and raytracing performance? Raytracing started out as more of a gimmick but now it's becoming as a real "nice to have" in many games.
Nvidia have the better engineering pedigree but if the chiplet stuff translates well to GPUs maybe AMD will gain the edge, would be another Intel vs AMD moment. Either way, good for consumers.

Marlenus

i made assumption that TFLOPS performance would be better because it is newer hardware, plus with the discrete RDNA 3 hitting 3 Ghz, why would it not be better and more gains? Is that really AMD's objective to make TFLOP performance worse with newer hardware?

I expect there will be a regression here somewhat but if AMD can fit 2x the Tflops in a given area and gain 50% plus scaling from it that is a net win, doubly so if it allows much higher clock speeds.

Marlenus

A friend of mine thinks RX 7000 flagship will be 10, maybe 20% faster than the 3090 Ti in rasterization.
I showed him benchmarks placing 6950 XT today at 5% faster in 1080p, same performance in 1440p and 6% slower in 4K.

He thinks an RDNA3 GPU that has 50% or 100% cores, higher clocks and uArch improvements than 6950 XT will yield just a 20% improvement, lmao.

Your friend is an idiot.

This is what I was talking about. Gaming performance on ultra-thin laptops. I think this is AMD diving into blue ocean, because Intel has crappy iGPU's with amazing CPU's, while NVIDIA makes no CPU's and has amazing discrete GPU's. AMD has striked a balance, and this will be even more noticeable with Zen4/RDNA 3 combo. I hope this gives AMD the additional momentum it needs to be no longer the underdog, and be in the same big boy league as Intel, NVIDIA and Qualcomm

tusharngf

Rumor ! RDNA 3 could be a game changer if 50% performance watt is true

AMD Radeon RX 7700 XT Graphics Card Performance​

As for the performance of these monster GPUs, we can only use theoretical numbers here since the launch is a bit far away but based on what we know from the expected theoretical compute numbers, the performance is going to see over a 2.3x gain over the existing cards. This is a major leap
SLb4YI8.png

• AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT: ~75,00 TFLOPs (FP32) (Assuming 3.0 GHz clock)
  • AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT: ~64.50 TFLOPs (FP32) (Assuming 3.0 GHz clock)
  • AMD Radeon RX 7700 XT: ~46.08 TFLOPs (FP32) (Assuming 3.0 GHz clock)
  • AMD Radeon RX 6950 XT: 23.80 TFLOPs (FP32) (2324 MHz Boost Clock)
  • AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT: 23.04 TFLOPs (FP32) (2250 MHz Boost clock)
  • AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT: 20.74 TFLOPs (FP32) (2250 MHz Boost clock)
  • AMD Radeon RX 6800: 16.17 TFLOPs (FP32) (2105 MHz Boost clock)
  • AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT: 13.31 TFLOPs (FP32) (2600 MHz Boost clock)
  • AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT: 13.21 TFLOPs (FP32) (2581 MHz Boost clock)
  • AMD Radeon RX 6700: 11.29 TFLOPs (FP32) (2450 MHz Boost clock)

Crayon

∆∆∆∆ That seems really fast. Is it too optimistic? If that was the case I'd find myself waiting for a game that justified anything over a 7600. Would love it to be true...

I've been having fun keeping an eye on amd cards since zen and rdna. It does seem like that can pull a rabbit out of a hat when the really need to.

Sanepar

When next gen games arrive in 2023 these consoles will barely be capable of 1440p/30 fps.

You guys are looking to cross gen and old games.

Sanepar

Nvidia famboys are stupid like all fanboys.

Larogue

Rumor ! RDNA 3 could be a game changer if 50% performance watt is true

AMD Radeon RX 7700 XT Graphics Card Performance​

As for the performance of these monster GPUs, we can only use theoretical numbers here since the launch is a bit far away but based on what we know from the expected theoretical compute numbers, the performance is going to see over a 2.3x gain over the existing cards. This is a major leap
SLb4YI8.png

• AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT: ~75,00 TFLOPs (FP32) (Assuming 3.0 GHz clock)
  • AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT: ~64.50 TFLOPs (FP32) (Assuming 3.0 GHz clock)
  • AMD Radeon RX 7700 XT: ~46.08 TFLOPs (FP32) (Assuming 3.0 GHz clock)
  • AMD Radeon RX 6950 XT: 23.80 TFLOPs (FP32) (2324 MHz Boost Clock)
  • AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT: 23.04 TFLOPs (FP32) (2250 MHz Boost clock)
  • AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT: 20.74 TFLOPs (FP32) (2250 MHz Boost clock)
  • AMD Radeon RX 6800: 16.17 TFLOPs (FP32) (2105 MHz Boost clock)
  • AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT: 13.31 TFLOPs (FP32) (2600 MHz Boost clock)
  • AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT: 13.21 TFLOPs (FP32) (2581 MHz Boost clock)
  • AMD Radeon RX 6700: 11.29 TFLOPs (FP32) (2450 MHz Boost clock)

Oh My God Omg GIF

Sosokrates

When next gen games arrive in 2023 these consoles will barely be capable of 1440p/30 fps.

You guys are looking to cross gen and old games.

I doubt double the GPU power will be enough to double the frame rate though.
I'm fine with 1440p 30 FPS Vs 4k 30fps.

Sosokrates

Well I’m the pro models you would also hope it’s using a better cpu as well (the hope is low end zen 5 if they release in 2024)
That would be better, they didn't do this last time, but I guess jaguar was the only available option at that time.

If the ps5/XSX become only 30fps boxes and the pro models are 60fps that would tempt me. But I don't think it will be the case.

Leo9

Well I’m the pro models you would also hope it’s using a better cpu as well (the hope is low end zen 5 if they release in 2024)
The Ps4 Pro used the same Jaguar core at slightly higher frequency. The next pro model will likely still use Zen 2. Zen 5 is just fantasy imo.

Crayon

^^^ if they come out with a actually good gaming apus I'll consider waiting and building one. A very small low power machine with gpu performance that could get out of its own way on a $499 apu would be pretty cool. They need to put a lot more silicon on the gpu side than they do now, though. I don't think what they show will be *that* fast, tho. But someday in the future it will happen and I'll be down.

Although it's great that DDR5 has extra bandwidth compared to DDR4, is there any way to increase the bandwidth further? Is there some sort of ESRAM like xbox360 and Xbox One?

With the adoption of USB 4.0 with 40Gbps, and soon version 2.0 with 80Gbps, you can get a portable eGPU to get extra graphics performance. Will DirectStorageAPI with SFS also help with graphic fidelity (it has been confirmed its coming to PC from MS)?

Last edited:
That would be better, they didn't do this last time, but I guess jaguar was the only available option at that time.

If the ps5/XSX become only 30fps boxes and the pro models are 60fps that would tempt me. But I don't think it will be the case.
Also more 120hz support. I also want 240hz support specifically so 80fps modes can become a thing like how 40fps does for 120 currently

The Ps4 Pro used the same Jaguar core at slightly higher frequency. The next pro model will likely still use Zen 2. Zen 5 is just fantasy imo.
That would be an atrocious choice this time I hope they don’t do it. I’m personally willing to pay 600 if that’s what it takes to get zen 5 implemented but please don’t skimp out

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That would be an atrocious choice this time I hope they don’t do it. I’m personally willing to pay 600 if that’s what it takes to get zen 5 implemented but please don’t skimp out
Your best bet is no PS5 Pro, but all that money invested in making a better PS6. Technology is slowing down and has been for a while, give it a few more years ;).

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
You really think a more powerful new arch PS5 is gonna be 50 bucks more than a base PS5?

Sosokrates

Also more 120hz support. I also want 240hz support specifically so 80fps modes can become a thing like how 40fps does for 120 currently

Yeah its a subjective thing. I like good visuals and advances in tech but im not going around the whole rig a ma role of upgrading my consoles.

These consoles were launched at $499 they should be good for the whole gen. Looking back I would have not of bothered upgrading my ps4 to a pro.

Even just double the GPU will be like $699, because they would need to improve the memory bandwidth too.
If they do go for a Pro model based on RDNA 3, it's likely they'll go for a cost-effective solution revolved around efficiency similar with what they did with he PS4 Pro and checkerboard rendering.

A PS5 Pro with new generation upsampling technology which is hardware accelerated, along with a relatively cheaper memory solution setup like Infinity Cache is something they might go for.

RDNA 3 die space seem's to be ridiculously efficient considering they're going for roughly double the performance over RDNA 2 (refer to Angstronomic's leak).

Sosokrates

If they do go for a Pro model based on RDNA 3, it's likely they'll go for a cost-effective solution revolved around efficiency similar with what they did with he PS4 Pro and checkerboard rendering.

A PS5 Pro with new generation upsampling technology which is hardware accelerated, along with a relatively cheaper memory solution setup like Infinity Cache is something they might go for.

RDNA 3 die space seem's to be ridiculously efficient considering they're going for roughly double the performance over RDNA 2 (refer to Angstronomic's leak).
It does not work that way with console, we have seen this with the PS5 + XSX, ps4 pro and the 1x. Despite architecture improvements, the improvements of the games correlate with the increased compute performance.

Last edited:

they can also you know skip rdna 3 and go straight to 4 which is what im hoping they do

Sleepwalker

Im hoping for a shorter generation rather than pro consoles.

Why ps5 pro and xbox pro in 2024? Just bring the ps6 in 2025 and the new xbox. Generations dont need to last 8 years

truth411

The supply constrain pretty much garuntee that this gen will be longer, not shorter. Don't expect PS6 till holiday 2028, not to mention Game development cycles are about 4 years or more now.

amd-rdna-3-radeon-rx-7000-4-ghz-cpu-clock-rumor-refined-adaptive-power-mode-next-gen-infinity-cache-confirmed

https://community.amd.com/t5/gaming/advancing-performance-per-watt-to-benefit-gamers/ba-p/545586

Looking ahead, we’re continuing our push for more efficient gaming with AMD RDNA 3 architecture. As the first AMD graphics architecture to leverage the 5nm process and our chiplet packaging technology, AMD RDNA 3 is on track to deliver an estimated >50 percent better performance per watt than AMD RDNA 2 architecture – truly bringing top-of-the-line gaming performance to gamers in cool, quiet, and energy-conscious designs.

Contributing to this energy-conscious design, AMD RDNA 3 refines the AMD RDNA 2 adaptive power management technology to set workload-specific operating points, ensuring each component of the GPU uses only the power it requires for optimal performance. The new architecture also introduces a new generation of AMD Infinity Cache, projected to offer even higher-density, lower-power caches to reduce the power needs of graphics memory, helping to cement AMD RDNA 3 and Radeon graphics as a true leaders in efficiency.

We’re thrilled with the improvements we’re making with AMD RDNA 3 and its predecessors, and we believe there’s, even more, to be pulled from our architectures and advanced process technologies, delivering unmatched performance per watt across the stack as we continue our push for better gaming.

Last edited:
AMD very much brought it with RDNA2 and beat Nvidia in many segments. I think AMD will have the price/performance crown next gen and performance/watt, but will they catch up with FSR2 and raytracing performance? Raytracing started out as more of a gimmick but now it's becoming as a real "nice to have" in many games.
Nvidia have the better engineering pedigree but if the chiplet stuff translates well to GPUs maybe AMD will gain the edge, would be another Intel vs AMD moment. Either way, good for consumers.

It's the drivers. That is why I'll always buy Nvidia. Whether it's a 20 year old gamer or Yuzu Nvidia works.

Top Bottom