• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Razer Edge' android game handheld launches starting at $399, 6.8 FHD+, 144Hz, 8GB RAM, (5G Exclusive to Verizon for $200 more))

https://www.razer.com/mobile-handhe...did=droid-life.com&cid=Skimbit Ltd.-affiliate
https://www.verizon.com/tablets/raz...af2c58fa9da111ed8099011a0a82b82a&vendorid=CJM

https://www.cnet.com/tech/gaming/razer-edge-game-handheld-arrives-what-to-know/
The Edge isn't a Steam Deck-alike, even if it costs the same as one: This is an Android tablet, more like a large 6.8-inch phone that's not a phone. It has a similar feel to smaller tablets of the past, like the Nvidia Shield Tablet, but far slimmer.

Hands-on thoughts: Yes, it's like a phone with a controller​

At first, it's… underwhelming. I've seen Razer's Kishi snap-on game controllers for phones, and the Edge has the same concept. It uses an improved version of the Kishi design with support for vibrating haptics, which I didn't get to experience. The tablet part, well, it's a tablet, like many Android things.

The combination of parts could add up to more, though. The large, vivid, 6.8-inch AMOLED display does look lovely, and the new G3X chipset on this tablet could be better at handling streaming games. Razer boasts that it'll be the ultimate way to try Xbox cloud gaming or playing games via Steam Link, although I also didn't try that yet either.

But the specs are nice: It has a 2,400x1,080-pixel resolution display that runs at up to 144Hz, and the G3X processor promises active cooling to prolong game sessions. The 128GB of storage can be bumped to 2TB with a microSD card slot. The Kishi V2 Pro controller it comes with, which is removable, adds vibrating haptics the other models didn't have before. It uses Google Play plus existing streaming game services and Razer's already-working Nexus app for captures and gameplay streaming. Its advantage, to me, is that it's not starting over -- it's leaning on what already works, aiming to do it better.

Why not just buy a Kishi controller for your phone?​

That's the big question here. There are already several great snap-on controllers made for phones, and you could do the same and potentially get the same experience as the Edge. The Edge does have some added extras, including vibrating haptics in the controller and (maybe) boosted chip performance, but if you have a recent iPhone or Android phone, you might want to just convert what you have.

The Edge looks to propose a not-too-expensive solution, potentially, for those who don't already have a phone... or who might want a dedicated device. That's the idea, at least. How that ends up playing out versus a Steam Deck or a Nintendo Switch depends on whether you'd prefer to be in an Android ecosystem or not.

What about the 5G version?​

We haven't tested the Verizon-exclusive 5G model at all, but buying one with 5G obviously involves the cost of 5G service, and any other added costs via Verizon. Sure, that would mean the Edge would work anywhere with a decent Verizon cellular signal, but we don't know how battery life on 5G will perform. If you really want an Edge, go with the regular Wi-Fi model and connect to a mobile hotspot.
https://www.droid-life.com/2023/01/26/razer-edge-now-available-for-pre-order-in-us-priced-at-399/

SPECS
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon G3X Gen1 processor
  • 2,400x1,080-pixel, 6.8-inch AMOLED display (144Hz)
  • 8GB RAM
  • 128GB internal storage (microSD card slot supports up to 2TB)
  • Two microphones, two speakers
  • Wi-Fi 6E
  • Bluetooth 5.2
  • USB-C port
  • 3.5mm headphone jack
  • eSIM for 5G model
  • 260 x 85 x 11mm (10.2 x 3.3 x 0.4 inches)
  • 264g (9.3 ounces) for tablet, 401g (14.1 ounces) for handheld and tablet together
https%3A%2F%2Fhybrismediaprod.blob.core.windows.net%2Fsys-master-phoenix-images-container%2Fhae%2Fhc8%2F9469799727134%2F230120-edge-wifi-1500x1000-3.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fhybrismediaprod.blob.core.windows.net%2Fsys-master-phoenix-images-container%2Fh55%2Fhcb%2F9469799694366%2F230120-edge-wifi-1500x1000-4.jpg

razer-edge-2023.jpg

razer-handheld-gaming-2161.jpg

Razer has finally launched their anticipated android handheld the 'Razer Edge" originally shown off at CES.

It definitely is surprisingly a lower starting price than what I would usually expect from a Razer product. Although i do wonder what kind of advantage this gives over a phone using a side-to-side controller or detachables.

A decent phone to run most android games or to stream probably does cost $399 minimum on its own, so I guess you are getting a large tablet and gaming device in one. This is not however, a phone. Just a gaming tablet, so keep that in mind when you think about buying.

https://9to5google.com/2023/01/26/razer-edge-gaming-handheld/

Verizon has an exclusive version that's $200 more, the only difference being it adds 5G functionality, which seems to be a hefty premium to pay for 5G. But they do offer it for only $10 a month if you don't want to buy it upfront in order to incentivize the price conscious to have it on a payment plan.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is this just the Kishi V2 that comes with a 6.8 inch "tablet"?

I'm hoping the Snapdragon G3X Gen1 brings superior performance to justify purchasing. I'm looking forward to seeing some reviews.

I have a kishi and a note 20 and it looks about the same as that, this feels pointless to me.

If you want to use emulators or gamepass Kishi is the cheaper option if you already have a decent phone.

Last edited:

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
There's absolutely no reason for that screen to have rounded corners like that. Can this trend die already? Not that I'm buying it anyway, but still...

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I love the idea just need more quality android games to play. If you are not into pub G or fortnite most of the remaining android games are micro transaction creepers. There are a few good quality android games without the pay to win motto.

Dural

I'm hoping the Snapdragon G3X Gen1 brings superior performance to justify purchasing. I'm looking forward to seeing some reviews.

Same here, can't wait for the ETA Prime and Taki Udon reviews.

Not loving the aspect ratio of the screen though, should have gone with 16:9.

I’m into it. GeForce Now can handle ultrawide streaming at 120hz on this thing. And in my experience it feels indistinguishable from native response times, which is so freaking impressive.

Having a dedicated device for that use case is rather appealing.

BeardGawd

Banned
I like the idea of a dedicated device but the form factor and controller look better on the Logitech G Cloud for a cheaper price.

These streaming handhelds really need to be less than $250 if they want any traction.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
What games are you thinking of, because I gave up looking on the store long ago. Even the racing games are P2W.
Streets of Rage 4, Leo's Fortune, Dead Cells, Beach Buggy Blitz, Space Marshalls, Dan The man, Hill Climb 2, Into the dead 1 and 2, dead trigger 1 and 2, Oceanhorn, tetris, vampireSurvivors, Xenowerk, amoung many others. In the games I listed you can buy stuff but almost all are just cosmetic. Some of those can be bought straight out with little to no ads.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I know everyone gave the Logitech G Cloud shit, but at least that had a proper handheld form factor with an actual large 16:9 screen and proper console quality controls.

This Razer device is just stupid and pointless.

Last edited:
Streets of Rage 4, Leo's Fortune, Dead Cells, Beach Buggy Blitz, Space Marshalls, Dan The man, Hill Climb 2, Into the dead 1 and 2, dead trigger 1 and 2, Oceanhorn, tetris, vampireSurvivors, Xenowerk, amoung many others. In the games I listed you can buy stuff but almost all are just cosmetic. Some of those can be bought straight out with little to no ads.

Yeah those aren't really 9for what I can only play on android) really the type of games of interest to me. I prefer more umph to my games and Android store is lacking outside p2w and huge grind/crafting/exp walls.

Top Bottom