• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Raycevick YouTube] I Love Racing Games, They Suck!

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
So Raycevick has released a new video today discussing and lamenting the current state of racing games. Between overpriced microtransactions, every game having some sort of "catch", whether it be the Always Online/Menu system in GT7, the progression system in Forza Horizon 5, the inability to even buy Forza Motorsport 7 digitally, NFS Unbounds miniscule event lineup and repeats, to iRacings egregious car prices.

Do you agree with him? Are we getting further away from the same quality and content we used to have? Or do you disagree and think racing games are better than they have ever been?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Nah the PS2/Xbox gen was the peak imo. The best GTs, Need for Speeds, PGRs and Burnouts were there. The only series not at its peak was Forza Motorsport and Horizon which peak a gen and two gens later respectively.

Definitely. GT4 is still the best in the franchise and nothing has come close. Underground 2 and Most Wanted were easily the best of NFS and Burnout 3 is still the best burnout game, but Paradise was a great continuation, sadly the series died with it.

Guilty_AI

I'm not as doomey when it comes to the current state of gaming as some tend to be, but i do agree racers have been pretty lack luster.

I think thats due to the fact the genre isn't as popular as it once was, there just isn't a whole lot of racers you can choose from. And although there are good ones in the mix, you can't be picky.

Last edited:

sachos

I think part of the problem is focus on open world racing. Bring back old school style of design with closed track racing, that enables much more variety and beautifuly designed tracks and events. Driveclub did it right. Also variety, go back to PS2 era, the variety in arcade racers was insane. I think split screen should come back too, racing games are great that way imo.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Seems like a constructed premise to justify a video rather than a real problem.

How is it a constructed premise? Everything he stated in regards to the faults of the games *is* true. There is egregious priced MTX for games like iRacing. F1 22 is broken and barely playable online. Need For Speed lacks the same level of content of a game nearly 20 years its senior.

I think part of the problem is focus on open world racing. Bring back old school style of design with closed track racing, that enables much more variety and beautifuly designed tracks and events. Driveclub did it right. Also variety, go back to PS2 era, the variety in arcade racers was insane. I think split screen should come back too, racing games are great that way imo.

The sad part is that we *do* have those games. Forza, Gran Turismo 7 - yet they have less content than ever and major red flags with how limiting they last, a lack of "Complete" versions available for purchase or have always online components. Its insane how far we have backtracked. Feels like the only thing that improves in racing games these days is the visual fidelity.

Lasha

How is it a constructed premise? Everything he stated in regards to the faults of the games *is* true. There is egregious priced MTX for games like iRacing. F1 22 is broken and barely playable online. Need For Speed lacks the same level of content of a game nearly 20 years its senior.

iRacing is to Forza Horizon as Counterstrike is to Horizon Zero Dawn. Treating them as a monolithic genre when the community doesn't is just YouTube fodder. One doesn't decide to play GT7 if iRacing is too expensive because ACC, raceroom, rFactor 2 are cheaper alternatives without any "catch". I do agree that racing games skew towards multiplayer with fewer options for single player but that's just gaming in general. Gamers hate fail states and love variance. Battle royales give both. Racing games don't.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
iRacing is to Forza Horizon as Counterstrike is to Horizon Zero Dawn. Treating them as a monolithic genre when the community doesn't is just YouTube fodder. One doesn't decide to play GT7 if iRacing is too expensive because ACC, raceroom, rFactor 2 are cheaper alternatives without any "catch". I do agree that racing games skew towards multiplayer with fewer options for single player but that's just gaming in general. Gamers hate fail states and love variance. Battle royales give both. Racing games don't.

I don't think you understood the point of the video. The point that Racevick is making is that there is not enough variety within the racing genre and that each game these days has that one or two major issues that set it back, problems that didn't exist in those games in its early days or in earlier iterations. I would suggest you rewatch the video.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
I don't think you understood the point of the video. The point that Racevick is making is that there is not enough variety within the racing genre and that each game these days has that one or two major issues that set it back, problems that didn't exist in those games in its early days or in earlier iterations. I would suggest you rewatch the video.
another possible benefit of services like Game Pass.

Lasha

I suggest you post a transcript if you want people to debate your 40 minute videos.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I suggest you post a transcript if you want people to debate your 40 minute videos.

Thanks for admitting you didn't watch the video and literally made assumptions and declarations based on nothing.

Nickelodeon Yes GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

I think racing games are in a good spot, as there's been tons of fantastic releases in recent years. A new TrackMania, Forza Horizon is a killer, Need for Speed mostly found its mojo back, some of the licensed games like MotoGP and F1 haven't been this good in a long while, sims and simcades are thriving, not to mention the high quality indies like Hotshot Racing or Redout.

If anything, it's the classic track-based arcade racers died off a bit, with the last DIRT and GRID kinda bombing safe to assume Codemasters is also gonna focus on F1 and WRC from now on as well, leaving us with very few games like Ridge Racer, Project Gotham Racing, or even the more extreme ones like F-Zero or WipeOut. But this is a general state of mainstream gaming, as more niche titles are being pushed out of relevance due to their relatively low sales expectations that no longer justify the kind of budget that a high profile game may require. Having said that, I don't think I had a single year in the last decade where racing games weren't in my top 2 or 3 most played genre, and I mainly play new games.

Watched it earlier. Good video.

All racing games are ultimately just games. exactly my thoughts. Only thing that matters is if you’re having fun. Arcade or sim.

Top Bottom