• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ray Fisher Accuses Joss Whedon and Others of Abuse, Requests Independent Investigator; Refuses to Talk to Investigator

i mean yeah but as much as I am against things like this, justice league killed his career and it was caused by alot on internal issues. I dont feel bad for him trying to get what he can out of it.
He's probably aiming for sponsorship. Might hope to end up being a "brand representative" or something based off his "activism".

I dunno. Had he just said what he said and just kept quiet, i feel like that would have made him look better. Now he just comes off as a whiner even if its all true in the end.

Thats why the big movie stars have companies control their social media accounts. Exactly because of situations like this.

Bolivar687

Banned
I dunno. Had he just said what he said and just kept quiet, i feel like that would have made him look better. Now he just comes off as a whiner even if its all true in the end.

Thats why the big movie stars have companies control their social media accounts. Exactly because of situations like this.

I like the guy a lot and believe what he's saying but I unfortunately have to agree. There's a way to go about this but he really hasn't had much work so he's just exploiting this for any recognition he can get.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I don't necessarily think it's a good idea, but I'm wondering if he noticed how Dave Bautista lashed out publicly at Disney regarding the James Gunn firing, and thought "hey, maybe that's a way to get some positive attention." Remember when Amber Heard pretended to be abused even though she actually took a dump a dump in her husbands bed? She received a ton of sponsorships and became a brand ambassador for L'oreal among others. Oppressed is hot right now.

Last edited:

GloveSlap

It might really be about the Justice League stuff, but i kinda buy the exhaustion thing coming from Whedon. He never really seemed to like working much. He's like James Cameron in that he will fuck around for years at a time if he doesn't have an iron-clad schedule in place.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Chuck-Wendig-1.png

GamesAreFun

Banned
There's a lot of subjective, emotive language in her accusations. The complaints seem to be:

1. He was unpleasant on set
2. He called her fat (while not realising she was pregnant)
3. He mocked her tattoo
4. He asked if she was going to keep her baby
5. He made he work at 1am and she experienced false labor pains

2 & 3 are both understandable as the director, ideally you don't want an actress changing appearance mid-season. 4 very much depends on the tone he used, her decision would affect the show and whether they might need to write her character out of the plot if she intended to leave.

Perhaps he was an utter bastard, but these aren't Weinstein level accusations and he hasn't broken any laws I can see.

Last edited:

ManaByte

There's a lot of subjective, emotive language in her accusations. The complaints seem to be:

1. He was unpleasant on set
2. He called her fat (while not realising she was pregnant)
3. He mocked her tattoo
4. He asked if she was going to keep her baby
5. He made he work at 1am and she experienced false labor pains

2 & 3 are both understandable as the director, ideally you don't want an actress changing appearance mid-season. 4 very much depends on the tone he used, her decision would affect the show and whether they might need to write her character out of the plot if she intended to leave.

Perhaps he was an utter bastard, but these aren't Weinstein level accusations and he hasn't broken any laws I can see.

Xenon

That explains the sudden change in her character on the show. Whedon was obviously upset to write her out like that.

Yeah I don't think I can recall a character ever undergoing such a drastic change. Josh totally went salt the Earth with her. It really hurt the end of the series for me. What a Man baby

Shouta

Her basically nuked Cordelia from orbit in the series and in the worst possible way as I recall. So it kind of lines up with what Charisma Carpenter is saying.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Joss has always been a scumbag most of it was a secret. It isn’t anymore. Probably not worth watching his stuff.
A lot of Directors are complete assholes, the abuse on the set of The Shining is a famous example. It used to be 'acceptable' and even a pseudo positive trait, but times have changed. It would do a disservice to the people who suffered through that abuse for their art however unless they dissavow the shows or movies, which it is clear that Charisma Carpenter isn't.

bitbydeath

A lot of Directors are complete assholes, the abuse on the set of The Shining is a famous example. It used to be 'acceptable' and even a pseudo positive trait, but times have changed. It would do a disservice to the people who suffered through that abuse for their art however unless they dissavow the shows or movies, which it is clear that Charisma Carpenter isn't.
I think the whole thing can just get really tense at times for everyone.

Remember Christian Bale?

Lupingosei

Banned
This shit is really funny, especially when you remember how Sensitive Joss Whedon was reacting to Jurassic World. And also when you remember how Anita sucked up to him, to get into Hollywood.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Sure, but what is "it"? From what little is being said it sounds like Joss Whedon is a demanding boss with an abrasive personality, at worst.

They had an entire investigation. Whedon is OUT from WB and is toxic to Hollywood now. Fisher and Carpenter aren't the only ones to say anything. SMG and Michelle Trachtenberg (had no idea she's 35!) both said he did stuff that was untoward... Especially since Trachtenberg was a young teenager back then... Whedon is trash and a fake progressive/male feminist.

UnNamed

Banned
At the end, nothing he did is a crime since being an asshole is not a crime. So they could decide to bring him to court if they thought what he did was a crime, or left if his behavior was too much.

They didn't neither one or the other. Conplaying almost 25years later on Twitter instead of a court was much more easy.

teezzy

Banned
lots of Buffy actors seem in agreement that the environment was difficult to work with

wtf... why do i need to know this. i love Buffy/Angel and the rest of the Whedonverse so much

why must everything I like be tainted

Top Bottom