• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate the poster above you's 5 favorite bands/artists

teezzy

Banned
RATE THE POSTER ABOVE YOU'S 5 FAVORITE BANDS/ARTISTS

1e91b53e-4aab-4d8a-8d6b-8768550e95e9.gif

Rules...

1. Provide at least one Youtube video representative of each band/artist. Music video/favorite song/live performance/other which will be the sole reference point the next poster has if your band is some hipster obscure garbage nobody else has heard of but you.
2. One honorable mention only. Feel free to include a 6th band and mark it as so. No more than one, don't be a wuss.
3. Bands don't have to be in any order specifically. Don't get hung up on that. SIX BANDS MAXIMUM WITH ONE NOTED AS AN HONORABLE MENTION
4. You can post more than once, I guess, just include different songs (or even different bands) if you do.
5. Let's have fun

Okay, here's mine... also this will be the best post of the entire thread.

1. Deftones

2. Tool

3. Radiohead

4. Nine Inch Nails

5. Smashing Pumpkins

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
OT: 8/10

Mine:

1. Rage Against the Machine
2. Bob Marley and the Wailers
3. Smashing Pumpkins
4. Wu-Tang Clan
5. Beastie Boys (Edit: this one could be replaced with Vampire Weekend. Close.)

Last edited:
I honestly couldn't tell you right off the bat what my top five are but....

1. The Birthday Massacre
2. The Smiths/Morrisey
3. Switchblade Symphony
4. The Cure
5. Depeche Mode

Actually none of this is really accurate except for the first one. I'm a huge fan of the Birthday Massacre, although mostly their older stuff.

I know that recently I'm really loving Enigma. I absolutely love their sound and they have so many good tracks.

Last edited:
RATE THE POSTER ABOVE YOU'S 5 FAVORITE BANDS/ARTISTS

1e91b53e-4aab-4d8a-8d6b-8768550e95e9.gif

Rules...

1. Provide at least one Youtube video representative of each band/artist. Music video/favorite song/live performance/other which will be the sole reference point the next poster has if your band is some hipster obscure garbage nobody else has heard of but you.
2. One honorable mention only. Feel free to include a 6th band and mark it as so. No more than one, don't be a wuss.
3. Bands don't have to be in any order specifically. Don't get hung up on that. SIX BANDS MAXIMUM WITH ONE NOTED AS AN HONORABLE MENTION
4. You can post more than once, I guess, just include different songs (or even different bands) if you do.
5. Let's have fun

Okay, here's mine... also this will be the best post of the entire thread.

1. Deftones

2. Tool

3. Radiohead

4. Nine Inch Nails

5. Smashing Pumpkins

I really like Smashing Pumpkins. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness was an absolutely amazing album.

Last edited:

Jennings

I'll put together a list, but when it comes to rating the person "above" me I will need to take the time to actually listen to the songs if I'm not familiar with them, so there might be other replies before I'm finished. Because of this I might end up rating someone "far above" me. In any case, we'll see how it goes.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I really like Smashing Pumpkins. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness was an absolutely amazing album.

That album is one of the greats. What I love about Pumpkins music is that so many songs feel like love letters to rock, or pop, or 80 ballads, etc. They obviously drew a lot of inspiration from others and it shows.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Maybe my top 5 below. I skew mostly to 80s/90s stuff with lots of guitar. Although here and there I like modern music like some Ed Sheeran. There's a ton of old loud hair bands I put as honourable mention.

Bon Jovi

Roxette (RIP Marie Fredriksson 2019)

U2

Shakira

Stabbing Westward

Bad English (honourable mention)

Last edited:

Dark Star

Maybe my top 5 below. I skew mostly to 80s/90s stuff with lots of guitar. Although here and there I like modern music like some Ed Sheeran. There's a ton of old loud hair bands I put as honourable mention.

Bon Jovi

Roxette (RIP Marie Fredriksson 2019)

U2

Shakira

Stabbing Westward

Bad English (honourable mention)

I'm feeling a strong 7 out of 10. I like Bon Jovi, Roxette a lot. U2 is OK. Shakira is kind of a wild card here IMO, nice. Stabbing Westward and Bad English are interesting, cool.

Here's mine. No old/retired/dead bands or artists. Tool, for example, who probably won't release another album until like 2030 lol. Just bands/artists that are still consistently releasing kickass songs/albums in 2022 even though they formed in the 90's or whatever:

Deftones

Breaking Benjamin

Slipknot

Korn

Opeth (either Opeth or Katatonia. I love The Great Cold Distance by Kataonia. Both bands started really heavy death metal and then shifted into progressive stuff)

Honorable mention : Alice In Chains post-Layne Staley

I like a lot of new music/bands/artists too, like Static Dress, Softcult, Beach House, Bones/TeamSesh, $uicideboy$.
Honorable mention for new artists: I found this genre "hyperpop/melodic breakcore" recently, it's insane:

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I honestly couldn't tell you right off the bat what my top five are but....

1. The Birthday Massacre
2. The Smiths/Morrisey
3. Switchblade Symphony
4. The Cure
5. Depeche Mode

Actually none of this is really accurate except for the first one. I'm a huge fan of the Birthday Massacre, although mostly their older stuff.

I know that recently I'm really loving Enigma. I absolutely love their sound and they have so many good tracks.
8/10

I dont know who some of those bands are, but I always liked The Cure and Depeche Mode. Never big into their music or backgrounds, but enough I got some tunes on my media player like their popular stuff In Between Days, Just Like Heaven and It's No Good.

Some reason I always forget How Soon is Love is from The Smiths, since I enjoyed it from The Charmed Soundtrack sung by Love Spit Love.

You a New Order fan? Kind of fits the same mould of artists. I would probably had been a much bigger fan of your list of bands, but back in the day with only so much money to buy tapes and CDs. I know my friends back then were big into Alternative back then including The Cure.

I had a lot of New Order and Pet Shop Boys stuff, and spread out to other artists like Aerosmith or GNR, and then mainstream pop like Roxette and some George Michael. Also had Beck and Tragically Hip.

Last edited:

Jennings

Metallica
With the song Unforgiven, Metallica was my introduction to metal in high school. It wasn't long before I started buying up all the Testament, Slayer, Pantera and other albums I could get my hands on. My love for the genre has only grown since then. The following performance of Creeping Death is one I first heard on the radio during a one-hour segment of a nightly show called Mandatory Metallica on the now-defunct KNAC metal station. I taped it back then and listened to it for years before I had enough experience to properly appreciate it and realize what an absolute stand-out performance it was, with Jason really adding a lot to it during his verse. This was Metallica at their prime.

Vanessa Mae
Unfortunately Vanessa's Mae's pop-classical fusion career was only represented by a few albums some 2.5 decades ago, but they're still albums I listen to regularly to this day. There might be other artists out there fusing these genres together as well as Vanessa Mae, but I don't know about them and wish I did. She can really shred.

Fear Factory
Fear Factory is a band that has struggled to maintain stability and consistency from pretty much from day one, and their biggest enemies are each other. Regardless of the seemingly unending behind-the-scenes drama, they've released some of my favorite songs of all time. And while it would probably considered a sin to many of their fans to link any song that didn't originate on their first few albums, I'm here to say that even their later stuff delivers the goods.

Regina Spektor
Her sound has changed throughout her career and all my favorite songs of hers originate during her pop phase. The other stuff is good too, but it doesn't electrify me quite the same way. I love her voice to no end and I respect the shit out of her for composing her own material, unlike other pop stars that just show up to auto-tune a few words into random bullshit beats and call it a day.

Pro-Pain
This is working man's metal. Until 2015 or so these guys had released an album every 1-3 years like clockwork for the past 30 years. Unfortunately the tour for their latest album was cut short when the heart and soul of the band was mugged and brutally attacked by a couple guys he met and hung out with at a bar between shows while touring in Europe. Because of this attack he suffered severe head trauma and been on a long road to recovery ever since. His inability to play riffs has hampered his ability to write new music, and as the singer-songwriter of the 140+ songs of their career it's currently unknown if any future albums are expected on the horizon. Most of their catalog is groove metal in the vein of New York hardcore punk.

Honorable mention: Cattle Decapitation
They've introduced me to a whole new genre of technical metal and I can't get enough of it. It's thanks to them I've discovered so many new favorites like Dying Fetus, Cryptopsy, Archspire, Gorod and more. Often with this genre the songs are just too fast and clicky to be as pounding and aggressive as they could be, but that comes with the territory. The highlight of this band, for me, are the diverse vocal styles taken up by the lead singer, Travis Ryan.

I'm feeling a strong 7 out of 10. I like Bon Jovi, Roxette a lot. U2 is OK. Shakira is kind of a wild

Deftones
Breaking Benjamin
Slipknot
Korn
Opeth

Honorable mention : Alice In Chains post-Layne Staley

I love a ton of Slipknot's output but there's an equal amount of their stuff that's never quite done it for me. Still though, when they hit they fucking hit.

Same goes for Korn. I mean, damn, Korn and Follow the Leader are impeccable, but try as I might I just can't get into much else besides a few songs off Untouchables, and believe me I've tried.

As for Opeth, I dig absolutely everything they did until they turned into a 70s progressive wannabe. I support bands than want change, but I do expect them to still maintain a somewhat unique (even if new to them) sound. And what Opeth did was ditch one very unique sound that only they could deliver and embrace a new sound that was nothing more than a sound-alike of their 70s favorites. Of the newer albums I only like Sorceress. But I'm fully on-board for Watershed and everything that came before it.

Deftones, I could never once get into them, I don't enjoy Chino's raspy delivery. By all other accounts they're great at what they do though.

I'd never heard Breaking Benjamin until your post, but the singer sounds a bit auto-tuned or whiny for my tastes. Interesting instrumentation though.

Alice in Chains, one of my GOATs. Dirt, Jar of Flies, and their self-titled are 100% untouchable for me. The only albums that don't do anything for me are the Sap EP, Facelift (with the exception of Man in a Box), and Rainier Fog. I love 2 out of the three Duvall albums, and don't judge yhem based on the necessary line-up change. And unlike some fans, I would never ever suggest that they should have closed up shop after Stayley died. It was a tragedy, but Cantrell has always carried the band and he delivers. I even love his first two solo albums, but haven't heard enough of his latest one for it to click yet.

Last edited:
8/10

I dont know who some of those bands are, but I always liked The Cure and Depeche Mode. Never big into their music or backgrounds, but enough I got some tunes on my media player like their popular stuff In Between Days, Just Like Heaven and It's No Good.

Some reason I always forget How Soon is Love is from The Smiths, since I enjoyed it from The Charmed Soundtrack sung by Love Spit Love.

You a New Order fan? Kind of fits the same mould of artists. I would probably had been a much bigger fan of your list of bands, but back in the day with only so much money to buy tapes and CDs. I know my friends back then were big into Alternative back then including The Cure.

I had a lot of New Order and Pet Shop Boys stuff, and spread out to other artists like Aerosmith or GNR, and then mainstream pop like Roxette and some George Michael. Also had Beck and Tragically Hip.
Yeah I like New Order and "parent" band Joy Division.

In regards to The Birthday Massacre....

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
My most meaningful songs with matching artists, in few people's tastes. Not that they're the best songs, but had important meaning in different phases of my life.

1- Robert Miles - Children - For me that was the start of a new EDM trend with Trance music and finally ended grunge (hated the music). Been waking up to this song for the last 26 years.

2 - Rank1 - Opus 17 - It's more of a reserved kind of trance. Love their music in general. I went to a concert of theirs and it was just after getting stitches removed. A girl screamed seeing me because she tought I got stabbed and security expelled me from the venue. I was pissed because the skin broke and had blood everywhere. Saw them a year after in Belgium and was a better experience lol.

3 - Kylie Minogue - Your Disco Needs You - Campiest as you can get but had amazing times at her concerts with this one. Song that cheered me up when I had to study for exams and was hungry.

4 - A.R.D.I. - Hopeful - Was alone on my birthday and nearly OD-ed on GHB listening to this song. Was lucky to woke up alive albeit in my vomit. I listened nowadays to ground me up.

5 - Sander Van Doorn - Daisy - Song that started a decade of partying with friends at the Bal en Blanc in Montréal with resulting in my incapacitated liver today. Getting old is the worst human disease. Still was the most amazing White Party I went to.

* Mylène Farmer - Désenchantée - Best concert/song atmosphere I attended to 15 years ago.

# Andrew Rayel - Find Your Harmony #308 - Latest concert I attended. Was fun to be finally mask free!!!!

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
6/10 on the above. I like Robert Miles. The other stuff isn't really to my taste.
Thanks and I think you were generous because I'd probably kill myself to your music lol. Why do people like to be yelled and screamed at? I ask and still no clear answer.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
Thanks and I think you were generous because I'd probably kill myself to your music lol. Why do people like to be yelled and screamed at? I ask and still no clear answer.

If you don't understand the appeal of grunge, then you'll never grasp what draws people to metal. It's raw and real and angry.

You're not being screamed at. You're going along for the ride. It's akin to enjoying spicy foods. Some people just don't get it, and that's entirely okay.

The stuff Catphish Catphish posted is super tame for the genre but an awesome top 5 list. id give it like a 9. Classic bands. All 5 of em. your love of trance/dance isn't something I share so I won't judge

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
If you don't understand the appeal of grunge, then you'll never grasp what draws people to metal. It's raw and real and angry.

You're not being screamed at. You're going along for the ride. It's akin to enjoying spicy foods. Some people just don't get it, and that's entirely okay.

The stuff Catphish Catphish posted is super tame for the genre but an awesome top 5 list. id give it like a 9. Classic bands. All 5 of em. your love of trance/dance isn't something I share so I won't judge
I loathed grunge, like I wanted to punch kids who listened to it. I never got teen angst in general either. I love spicy food but I know my intestines can handle the ride.

anthony2690

Banned
The Smiths:

The Libertines:

Feeder:

Smashing Pumpkins:

Brand New:

PolyPhia

I'm definitely missing other favourites, I love lots of bands/songs etc and I definitely have phases of what I fancy.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
The Smiths:

The Libertines:

Feeder:

Smashing Pumpkins:

Brand New:

PolyPhia

I'm definitely missing other favourites, I love lots of bands/songs etc and I definitely have phases of what I fancy.

You have a list of 6 instead of 5 here, but it works out since I've never heard of Feeder, so they're out.

The Smiths = I'm not British, so no opinion
The Libertines = Like The Smiths, they are EXCEEDINGLY British. Heard a few of their songs back in the day, but I was a bigger fan of The Kooks and Arctic Monkeys who I bucket in with The Libertines, fairly or not
Smashing Pumpkins = Great taste. They were my first ever favorite band, meaning in middle school, I bought all their albums, EPs, and bootlegs I could find. First learned guitar to "Cherub Rock" and others
Brand New = "Sic Transit Gloria" and "Fork & Knife", babayyy! Lots of nostalgia for these guys
Polyphia = The song "G.O.A.T." isn't lying--it's one of the GOATs. People complain about all their songs sounding the same, but when you sound like no one else, haters gonna hate

Rating: 10 out of 10 since opinions can't be wrong. Minus 4 points for not being my list, so 6/10 overall

My Top 5 at time of this writing:
1) Squarepusher
2) Smashing Pumpkins
3) Perfume
4) Tool
5) The Beatles

Last edited:

lem0n

You have a list of 6 instead of 5 here, but it works out since I've never heard of Feeder, so they're out.

The Smiths = I'm not British, so no opinion
The Libertines = Like The Smiths, they are EXCEEDINGLY British. Heard a few of their songs back in the day, but I was a bigger fan of The Kooks and Arctic Monkeys who I bucket in with The Libertines, fairly or not
Smashing Pumpkins = Great taste. They were my first ever favorite band, meaning in middle school, I bought all their albums, EPs, and bootlegs I could find. First learned guitar to "Cherub Rock" and others
Brand New = "Sic Transit Gloria" and "Fork & Knife", babayyy! Lots of nostalgia for these guys
Polyphia = The song "G.O.A.T." isn't lying--it's one of the GOATs. People complain about all their songs sounding the same, but when you sound like no one else, haters gonna hate

Rating: 10 out of 10 since opinions can't be wrong. Minus 4 points for not being my list, so 6/10 overall

My Top 5 at time of this writing:
1) Squarepusher
2) Smashing Pumpkins
3) Perfume
4) Tool
5) The Beatles

Squarepusher: Interesting sound, I didn't know much about this one so I looked them (him) up on Spotify. I dig it, some of the tunes remind me of movie soundtrack stuff. Might give it a go later actually.
Smashing Pumpkins: a 90's classic, cannot talk about alternative without mentioning SP. 1979 was my favorite song for many years, so I'm very partial.
Perfume: Not for me haha but I respect it
Tool: what needs to be said about TOOL. 10/10
The Beatles: Nope. I'm a Beatles hater to the core

My favorites:

1- Rammstein

2- The Mars Volta

3- The Midnight

4- TOOL

5- Death

Last edited:

Aggrotek

My favorites:

1. Rammstein
  2. The Mars Volta
  3. The Midnight
  4. TOOL
  5. Death
Rammstein, The Midnight, Tool, and Death are all fantastic. Love all of them. 10/10

Here are mine in no particular order:

Oliver Tree

Carpenter Brut

The Midnight

Xavier Wulf

Ne Obliviscaris

Last edited:
The Oliver tree was ok, 2nd one meh, the midnight that stuff is right up my alley. Hated the last 2.

Deftones

Breaking Benjamin -

Saliva

Linkin Park

evanescence

Last edited:

lem0n

Rammstein, The Midnight, Tool, and Death are all fantastic. Love all of them. 10/10

Here are mine in no particular order:

Oliver Tree

Carpenter Brut

The Midnight

Xavier Wulf

Ne Obliviscaris

Ah yes, Xavier Wulf, the only dude that raps about S13s hahah. Respect. Also I just picked up a Carpenter Brut vinyl last weekend💪

JBat

The Oliver tree was ok, 2nd one meh, the midnight that stuff is right up my alley. Hated the last 2.

Deftones

Breaking Benjamin -

Saliva

Linkin Park

evanescence

I like some Deftones stuff and don't mind Evanescence but the rest isn't for me. here are mine in no particular order

RAÏSanÏa

I like some Deftones stuff and don't mind Evanescence but the rest isn't for me. here are mine in no particular order

I like Glass Animals, not only for the music but their videos are amazing. I am almost certain the video for Gooey is about the mythical elixir Amrita.
Zep is legendary and I've listened to them so much that I can hear them across timelines and my own incarnations.
AJR is new to me but seem fun and enjoyed. Peppers are good pop. Dubliners rule.
9/10

Unsure where to start a list like this as it could change on my mood. Although any of these general favourites would catch my attention if someone played them.

Alice in Chains

While hanging out closely on the couch with a couple gfs in our 20s in the early 90s listening to this album my older roommate(mid 30s) barged into the living room to proclaim he couldn't understand how we "could listen to this shit!" when this particular fave was playing making the moment and song an epic memory. Sex, drugs and rock n roll, baby. K enjoyed Offspring more and A.'s favourite album then was Jar of Flies. A couple witches I'd helped with their initiation that year just hanging out discussing plans for the esbat. Used a lot of different music in ritual and significant ceremonies at the time. TKK, Orb, Orbital, Opus III introduced by other witches.

Aleah Stanbridge

This dialogue between herself and her angel/divine self/shadow is the most well captured spiritual journey in modern lyrical music I've found.

Mozart

The piece in this scene with Salieri had a profound effect on my appreciation of music and drew me into listening to classical and learning piano.

Faith No More

B52s

HM -
Jazz is delightful
df3dc248-21b1-48f1-93de-10102aeb867d_text.gif

Havoc2049

^^^^^
8/10
That Alice in Chans song rocks and I like the majority of their stuff. Not a fan of Faith No More. The B-52's are always fun.

Social Distortion - Been listening to Mike Ness since I was a kid. I feel the pain deep in my soul. Grew up in SoCal, so it hits home. I've seen them in concert like 15-20 times.

Tiger Army- SoCal psychobilly band. I even have a ghost tiger never die tattoo.

The Misfits - Fan of both the Glen Danzig and Michale Graves Misfits and all the bands that have spawned out of the Misfits, like Samhain, Danzig, Gotham Road, Gorgeous Frankenstein, Doyle and Michale Graves.

Avenged Sevenfold - Another SoCal band that is mainly metal/hard rock with a little punk.

Lion's Law - My current fav hard hitting punk oi band from Paris, France.

Top Bottom