• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart will run at dynamic 4K resolution, targets 60 FPS for performance mode

Well looking past the numbers, I’ve been really impressed by the footage we’ve been shown. Sometimes it can be quite a rarity so early on in a new generation. I really wouldn’t get too hung up on the numbers.

DJT123

It has the specs of a mid-level PC, alright. Current-gen mid/upper-level. The game still looks gorgeous.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Dude focus, eyes forward,

this is what you said

What does that up there have todo with the unrelated article below.

at least answer in your own words what are 8k textures?

You don’t know what an 8K texture is?
First, do you know what a texture is?

Edit: We’re probably straying too far off-topic. Ping me if you’d like to learn more.:messenger_peace:

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
It's odd to me that they'd admit this is dynamic 4k when it's obviously close enough to native that digital foundry didn't realise otherwise, and in scenes with shitloads of action going on.

That suggests the drops will be fairly minimal. You'd think smart marketing would just say "runs in 4k" or something like that, which isn't exactly a lie, and would probably never be picked up on.

I wonder if there's more to this to come out. Perhaps the 'dynamism' of the 4k refers to the full range of resolutions across both modes?
Games are getting harder to pixel count due to all the post processing. Ratchet and clank has some weird vignette style blurring around about 30% of the screen, which makes counting any pixels there impossible.

For clarity: Rachet & Clank on PS4 (Pro) ran at 30fps 4K, but with temporal reprojection. Which isn't as bad as checkerboarding, but not quite "true" 4K. Obviously, no ray tracing.

So it's easy to imagine that this time round they'll still use temporal reprojection again, since it's their baby, but the RT is what's causing the performance hit.

Not to mention, Insomniac like to cram a lot of goodies onto the screen at once, which is the reason RnC PS4 was 30 as well; it looked amazing. This looks even better, IMO.
That’s not at all why the last R&C was 30fps. They dropped to 30fps because they said that their research and history showed that 60fps didn’t benefit them in any way sales wise despite playing better.

Tempora reprojection is also definitely not “not quite” 4K. It’s not 4K, at all.

Last edited:

CAB_Life

We’ll be seeing a lot of this next gen on both consoles and who cares? Anything over 1080p—1440p+ ideally—with all the bells and whistles on looks good enough for 99% of us.

Mister Wolf

Games are getting harder to pixel count due to all the post processing. Ratchet and clank has some weird vignette style blurring around about 30% of the screen, which makes counting any pixels there impossible.

That’s not at all why the last R&C was 30fps. They dropped to 30fps because they said that their research and history showed that 60fps didn’t benefit them in any way sales wise despite playing better.

Tempora reprojection is also definitely not “not quite” 4K. It’s not 4K, at all.

Is Temporal Reprojection even better than Checkerboard Rendering?

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
Seems to be the trend for PS5 : 4K/30fps or 1440p/60fps.

As long as it' stable and the games looks good ( as Rachet and Demon Souls ), I'm fine.

But let's stop that narrative that this isn't disappointing early Next Gen. This looks like the repeat of the Xbox One vs PS4 in 2013. Except the PS5 is in the Xbox One shoes this time.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Which makes it all the odder that they'd openly admit this is dynamic 4k.

Again, I wouldn't be totally shocked if this just turns out to be terrible wording and the quality mode is native 4k after all.

Not saying it's probable, just a possibility.

PC gamers with Ampere cards watching consoleros discuss 4k/60 with RT on their 10/12tf RDNA2 boxes....

381.png

The reality that 10/12tf are not even close to being sufficient for such render targets with next-gen-visuals will hit some people hard I guess...

Last edited:

Hunnybun

As long as it' stable and the games looks good ( as Rachet and Demon Souls ), I'm fine.

But let's stop that narrative that this isn't disappointing early Next Gen. This looks like the repeat of the Xbox One vs PS4 in 2013. Except the PS5 is in the Xbox One shoes this time.

I think it not being native 4k even at 30fps might be slightly disappointing, mainly because it's less than we came to expect from the initial reveal.

But you're wrong that these consoles should be capable of native 4k at 60fps AND a big leap in graphics. It's just not realistic.

4 x the resolution and twice the frame rate is basically 8x the rendering cost. The PS5's GPU is MAYBE 8x more powerful than the PS4's. Where is this magical performance supposed to come from?

Cos it certainly won't come from the extra 18% you get on the Series X, if that's what you're thinking.

DonMigs85

to be honest with the soft TAA look of modern games nowadays sub-native 4K doesn't really look bad at all. Even 1440p on a 4K TV can look very nice.

Kokoloko85

Pc gamers cant even play ratchet and clank what are half of you on about?

Go play and brag about some crappy ubisoft game you can play at 4k 60fps with your $1000 pc lol
Ill take my console exclusives from Playstation and Nintendo any day

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Yeah, and because it isn't worth it, they cater the visuals to that locked framerate. They can put more shit on the screen at once within the temporal 4K output due to not having to meet a higher minimum framerate, and it really shows. So sure, it's not necessarily the "why", but one informs the other.

"not quite 4K" still means "not 4K", it just means that it's closer to native than a lower resolution without temporal, or checkboarding, or any of the other halfway solutions. Correct me if I'm wrong, but temporal is still outputting a 3840x2160 image, even if all the information isn't there. And hell, 4K itself is technically "not quite 4K" given that it's a marketing term since 2160p sounded boring, and it's good enough for Joe Consumer.

Allandor

People thinking AAA(A) next-gen games on any console will be in true 4K at locked 60fps while having all the next-gen graphical bells and whistles enabled... 🙄

Native 4K
60fps
Next-gen looks

We'll be lucky to have 2 out of 3 in each mode, fellas.
No, but people were hoping at least for native 4k when a game runs with 30fps.
That's the problem with the PS4 Pro and xbox one x 1440p seems to be old stuff now ;)

1. You say it’s a trend. How many games are we talking here?

2. You think the difference between the PS5 and the XSX is similar to the difference between the PS4 and the XOne?

VFXVeteran

Banned
No thats crap. Show us ray tracing game at 60 FPS on XSX or native on Nvidia and come back. Here a 2080ti and 3080 with RT native and highest settings, do you think 3080 is bandwidth limited ? FFS

Yt8A81V.png

All these cards/consoles are bandwidth limited if you try going 4k @ Ultra @ RTX. They can't process the pixels fast enough to render @ 60FPS.

VFXVeteran

Banned
PC gamers with Ampere cards watching consoleros discuss 4k/60 with RT on their 10/12tf RDNA2 boxes....

The reality that 10/12tf are not even close to being sufficient for such render targets with next-gen-visuals will hit some people hard I guess...

Yea, especially since they argued tooth and nail to the contrary for months.

pyrocro

You don’t know what an 8K texture is?
First, do you know what a texture is?

Edit: We’re probably straying too far off-topic. Ping me if you’d like to learn more.:messenger_peace:
LOL, as said in my previous post.

I want you to explain how this is true.
in case you have not figure it out by now, you're capitulating to nonsense, on a topic I think you don't understand.
so please tell us.

I guess you didn't figure it out.:messenger_open_mouth:.
Pure folly on your part.

Ratchet & Clank looks good as expected.
most games on both console will run at 4k dynamic resolution.
with series X handing in sharper images and series S bring up the rare.
I hope more games on pc will support this as an option, not forced.

geordiemp

LOL, as said in my previous post.

I guess you didn't figure it out.:messenger_open_mouth:.
Pure folly on your part.

Ratchet & Clank looks good as expected.
most games on both console will run at 4k dynamic resolution.
with series X handing in sharper images and series S bring up the rare.
I hope more games on pc will support this as an option, not forced.

Sreies X handing in sharper images with ray tracing, show dont tell without any proof. We ahve seen no good looking XSX games yet to even compare, why is that.

Only comparisons we have for console RT gameplay is Ratchet, Demons souls and spiderman ......and likely other ps5 titles...

Last edited:
You can say it had whatever numbers you want, the game looked frigging awesome in the gameplay trailer. Non-stop action and loads of stuff going on screen while looking visually stunning, shows me more than numbers ever will.

pawel86ck

Banned
The SSD is also required to stream 8K textures. Xbox won’t be able to do that.
Can you provide evidence for such claim (for example developer working on XSX game who would said something like that), because with SFS texture bandwidth reduction XSX should be able to transfer high quality textures as well as PS5. Maybe you wrote a lie on purpose just to provoke people? If the latter is the case then you are the one who should be banned, not Bodomism who responded to you with similar tone.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

381.png

As with anything, there can be compromises made to accomplish render targets. The quality of the RT can be manipulated, just like the framebuffer resolution.

I don't know what this has to do with PCs, as this will be on console only for the forseeable future. Your post might be relevant if/when a PC port gets announced. PC gamers shouldn't have to be so petty, given you spend so much for the sometimes tangible graphics bump. You should just enjoy the gains with the rich library of blockbusters that come with the investment.

Last edited:
I don't know what this has to do with PCs,
this isn`t about a specific game. the whole 4k/60 discussion is laughable with the hardware available. It´s marketing without any substance.
As with anything, there can be compromises made to accomplish render targets.
We´ve seen those compromises in the GT7 and DMC RT previews already. Reflections so pixelated that normal SSR would`ve looked better.

There is a reason why Nvidia has invested so heavily into the development of DLSS. The reality of limited render budgets.
Hardware is hardware, be it in console form or in PCs.

Last edited:

theddub

Banned
Yes and i agree with those people who wish to have PS5 and Xbox Series X games at lower resolutions.
This is to add more graphical fidelity to the game. This is apparent through all first party developers who target lower resolutions to deliver better looking games. It really is not rocket science.

We all purchase next gen consoles to play next gen looking games. If you want to play current games at higher resolutions or framerates, get a PC.
But an equivalent PC costs more than 1500 dollars and is less convenient to play on etc...Some people want the superior machine that's a console, which isn't a PC. Why does anyone console game then to your point?

theddub

Banned

381.png

It could be with DirectML and FidelityFX improvements.

pyrocro

Sreies X handing in sharper images with ray tracing, show dont tell without any proof. We ahve seen no good looking XSX games yet to even compare, why is that.

Only comparisons we have for console RT gameplay is Ratchet, Demons souls and spiderman ......and likely other ps5 titles...

Big NAVI handing in sharper images with ray tracing, show dont tell without any proof. We have seen no good looking Big NAVI games yet to even compare, why is that.

That's it big Navi confirmed to be less capable than the PS5.

Wow that logic you got there.

Is the PS5 GPU not the same architecture as the XSX, I wonder why one would be able to accurately predict that the XSX would have better performance and there by produce a sharper image with multiplatform games using dynamic resolution. If only we had something call MATH, if only 12+ was greater than ~10, if only :messenger_neutral:.

While I don't mind non-native 4K in the slightest, Sony and Microsoft dug their own graves on that one.

They're the ones who started advertising 4K all over the place with their upgraded consoles and Microsoft especially with their "uncompromised 4K" regarding the Xbox One X. I don't think you'd be seeing anywhere as many complaints if they hadn't put resolution at the forefront of the line in their marketing.

I never cared much for native 4K. 60fps is paramount to me but this isn't happening because gamers just decided to be douches about it. Sony and Microsoft shifted the talks to 4K and uncompromised 4K. Putting 4K/120fps in bold letters didn't help either.

MastaKiiLA

this isn`t about a specific game. the whole 4k/60 discussion is laughable with the hardware available. It´s marketing without any substance.
We´ve seen those compromises in the GT7 and DMC RT previews already. Reflections so pixelated that normal SSR would`ve looked better.

There is a reason why Nvidia has invested so heavily into the development of DLSS. The reality of limited render budgets.
Hardware is hardware, be it in console form or in PCs.
I'm just not sure this adds anything to the discussion of R&C on the PS5, but the thread was already way off the rails on page 1. These are just plain silly times for gaming. I can't wait for the game to come out, so I can play it, and not have to wade through the muck searching for information and screenshots.

mitchman

Gold Member

Consoles punched above their weight previous generation, and that is likely to happen again. It's not like Ampere can comfortably do 4k/60 with RT on either :)

Consoles punched above their weight previous generation, and that is likely to happen again. It's not like Ampere can comfortably do 4k/60 with RT on either :)
That´s the point. Not even Ampere can pull this off without tech like DLSS and people here are pondering over native 4k/60......
And while you can optimize a lot better on consoles than on PC that gap is still faaar too wide.

Last edited:
In my opinion native 4K is better than lower resolutions with “better graphics”. Lower resolutions mean lower PPI, which means less detail can be detected on screen, which means worse image quality, which means worse graphics.

pawel86ck

Banned
You’re forgetting that raytracing costs a lot. 1440p with RT is not the same as 1440p without RT.
Assuming RT workload will be within rays budget (for certain resolution and framerate target) there's only small performance hit with RT. For example in metro exodus if you balance RT with rendering resolution there's only 8% performance hit on 2060S.

J3vXfGI.png

There are games like quake 2 RTX, where RT performance impact is extreme (1000fps to around 60-100fps at 1080p with RT on 2080ti), but if developers would improve graphics to the point where Quake 2 would run at around 60fps without RT, then RTX performance impact would be also minimal.

RT reflections in GT7 are butchered but if rays budget is enough there should be also small performance hit. I bet polyphony would not bother with RT if it would cut performance in half.

geordiemp

Big NAVI handing in sharper images with ray tracing, show dont tell without any proof. We have seen no good looking Big NAVI games yet to even compare, why is that.

That's it big Navi confirmed to be less capable than the PS5. B

Wow that logic you got there.

Is the PS5 GPU not the same architecture as the XSX, I wonder why one would be able to accurately predict that the XSX would have better performance and there by produce a sharper image with multiplatform games using dynamic resolution. If only we had something call MATH, if only 12+ was greater than ~10, if only :messenger_neutral:.

I was not referring to PC parts or big NAVI 80 CU or whatever it turns out to be. Big Navi is leaked to 10 CU shader arrays and frequency focus as Ps5, strange that.

XSX is not big NAVI LOL.

If only we had somehing called maths, where L1 feeding 10 CU at 2.23 Ghz will perform much better than an L1 cache feeding 14 CU at 1.825 GHz. I guess 12 and 10 numbers are the limit of peoples math capability

Feeding CU is just as important as the number of them, its only MS who gauge performance in TF, everyone else uses benchmarks and how games perrform.

And TF has nothing to do with the method of ray tracing, do you think Ps5 is doing it the same as others. Have you heard of local Ray. If Ps5 is using FP16 for ray tracing and oher tricks in the local ray 32 patents then it could be doing half the RT work, what does that do for your performance maths ?

Lets see, power divided by half erm....

Have you noticed the amount of ps5 ray traced titles coming, strange.

Wow the logic and understanding you got there is not so good. When XSX has a good looking next gen title with some ray tracing, come back and talk.

Last edited:

scydrex

Oh look...another thread where people complain about a game not being native 4K. Even though at such high resolutions they won’t be able to tell the difference. You all need help.

Don't forget that 1440p or 4k DLSS 2.0 or equivalent looks better than Native 4k and perform better but if doesn't say native 4k it sucks.

Last edited:

Reave

I’m no expert on this kind of hardware/tech subject. But, I will say this much. The belief that 4k is a waste or doesn’t matter feels like a very 2020 opinion to me.

A few years from now when, like it or not, 4k is more of a baseline expectation for multimedia, I doubt 1440p console gaming will be as praised or acceptable as it is now — especially as more homes make the jump to 4k televisions and want true 4k experiences, only to find out their PS5 might not have enough juice to fully deliver. I highly doubt people will be pleased with 1440p in 2024 or something.

Do I personally care about the resolution drama? Not really. But, I think it’s perfectly valid that some people are disappointed (or at the very least, concerned) about how things are starting off with PS5.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Assuming RT workload will be within rays budget (for certain resolution and framerate target) there's only small performance hit with RT. For example in metro exodus if you balance RT with rendering resolution there's only 8% performance hit on 2060S.

J3vXfGI.png

There are games like quake 2 RTX, where RT performance impact is extreme (1000fps to around 60-100fps at 1080p with RT on 2080ti), but if developers would improve graphics to the point where Quake 2 would run at around 60fps without RT, then RTX performance impact would be also minimal.

RT reflections in GT7 are butchered but if rays budget is enough there should be also small performance hit. I bet polyphony would not bother with RT if it would cut performance in half.

1080 p ? what about 4k ?

J0KHSOs.png

You realise that not all ray tracing api and methods will be the same, do you know if Ps5 is using the same method or something different ?

Top Bottom