• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart will run at dynamic 4K resolution, targets 60 FPS for performance mode

Reindeer

but people still believed in unrealistic claims of "secret sauce" coding and "the Zen CPUs will make a hellava difference over Jaguars".
Same Zen 2 CPU that is beaten in gaming by ancient Intel architecture based on 14nm, lol. Zen 3 is actually the real deal and consoles should have been launched with it a year later along with more powerful GPUs. The amount of nonsense people were spouting here for months about how these consoles were something they're not was very funny. People overhype consoles every time only to have their fantasy hopes crushed faster than PS5 SSD can load data.

Last edited by a moderator:

DinoD

G5_GC19_Marcus_Solo.jpg

-Native 4K
-60FPS
-120 FPS multiplayer mode
-Ray Tracing
-Ultra textures assets
-Only possible with 12TF machine.
-No comprises like performance mode and dynamic resolution to hide hardware limitations.

So you have a Ferarri without the petrol tank?

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
I said "you look like a dumb pro PC" witch was true, based on your first post. But ok, maybe I was too agressive and I'm sorry.
But
We already have a few 4k 60fps games on Sex and PS5, so I am an idiot I guess.

Edit:
And to clarify, this is what I posted in first page:
"The only thing that matter is that the game will look gorgeous, and will probably feel very smooth and people who actually PLAY won't care about 30 FPS because this isn't a fast paced shooter."
And I play on PC first, but I own a PS4 and I plan to get a PS5 in time (because it seem we have to justify ourselves today)

WTF, you are missing my point totally.

Here is the 1st post I responded to:

Once again, this thread is showing its stupidity by expecting native 4k/60fps with next gen visuals +raytracing like Ratchet and Clank. Like someone else said, if you want all of those things, go buy yourself an RTX 3090 and i9-10900k and go play on PC. It is not happening on a $500 console

Then all I was doing was pointing was pointing out that DF showed today, the brand new RTX 3080 could not hit native 4K60 with ray-tracing on a last gen game. So i am perfectly fine with R&C being a dynamic 4k60. I just trying get these people that are disappointed dynamic 4k and saying that this unacceptable to realize that the RTX 3080 had to use DLSS to get to 60 fps which is not a native 4k.

Wait what?!?! No, I'm not annoyed or pissed about it not being native 4K. I never look at video game trailer or game play trailer and think "What resolution is this" I'm shocked that it looks that clean and crisp at dynamic 4K. Sorry, but I play games not numbers. The resolution of a game never helped or hindered my enjoyment of a game. Please give me higher FPS, more effects, bigger worlds all that I don't care if it's 1440p scaled up!

Edit: Who gives a shit if a game is Native 4K60 if it doesn't look good or next gen? If HellBlade 2 looks the way it looked in the trailer but is sub 4K and only 30fps will you be disappointed 🤔 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Reindeer

Then all I was doing was pointing was pointing out that DF showed today, the brand new RTX 3080 could not hit native 4K60 with ray-tracing on a last gen game. So i am perfectly fine with R&C being a dynamic 4k60.
Not apples to apples to apples. There's a big difference between RTX 3080 doing full scale ray tracing at ultra settings in high resolution and consoles doing select ray tracing for certain objects at low quality and low resolution. I agree that these consoles are very underpowered* though and people shouldn't expect miracles.

*underpowered as in not powerful enough to run next gen games at 4K60.

Neo_game

This is a good thing IMO. As someone else said 1440P should be the target for these consoles. Xbox SS is an inrrelevant console IMO that hopefully will get discontinued. If SS is targeting 1440P then we cannot expect good gfx this gen.

turtlepowa

Banned
Ladies and gentlemen, here you can see the Defence Force in its natural habitat :messenger_beaming:
Sure the game looks good, but if not even a first party dev manages to get native 4k or stable 60fps, that's a bit disappointing. Ryse looked good too, but nevertheless the 900p were disappointing.

That’s what happens when you put more resources into graphics instead of focussing on a 4K target. Which is what we saw with Halo Infinite.

Still waiting for a third party game to be revealed as dynamic 4K on PS5 snd locked on Series X. Last I saw Valhalla was 4k60 on both. If SIE studios decide to go with lower resolution to get better graphics that is their choice. I expect Xbox studios to go for locked 40 and high frame rates and to produce good looking current gen games vs next gen from Sony.

Last edited:

Reindeer

Sure the game looks good, but if not even a first party dev manages to get native 4k or stable 60fps, that's a bit disappointing. Ryse looked good too, but nevertheless the 900p were disappointing.
I would take best possible visuals at 1080p then underwhelming visuals at 4K. Toy Story 1 in its original 800p still has better image quality than anything we've seen on current gen running in 4K.

Traxtech

1440p with proper AA tech looks as good as 4k if done correctly. So many people just hating on stupid shit. I mean look at DLSS, it's just a better upscaling technique than the much older checker board one so I'm hoping the next iteration of checker board is atleast the next step up from the original or they have developed a new technique which doesn't have as many artifacts in motion.

Wish people would stop being so concerned with numbers and focus on how the game actually looks and just appreciate that.

Edit: guess I need to clarify, I meant proper aa with a good up scaling technique. Also native 4k isn't a necessity when you're viewing a 4k TV from a distance. For pc use on a monitor it doesn't come close, but that's why we have dlss

Last edited:

tryDEATH

The power(12.15TF) and features(VRS) of Xbox are looking like they will be the difference between games running native 4K on Series X and dynamic 4K on the PS5, just like with the mid-generation consoles. But we will have to see that with 3rd party games, but it isn't encouraging when your 1st party games are unable to run at native 4K. Sony might have just gimped the PS5 too much to compete graphically by going all in on the SSD. That would just be bad optics and not the ideal way to start of the new generation at all.

Blond

Banned
G5_GC19_Marcus_Solo.jpg

-Native 4K
-60FPS
-Ray Tracing
-Ultra textures assets
-No comprises like performance mode and dynamic resolution to hide hardware limitations.

Death Stranding
30 fps
current gen
no fancy ray tracing
no ultra textures, just good art direction
Looks better than Gears 5 on next gen hardware

The one thing a lot of studios do on Sony's side is art direction because no way in hell that image is that impressive if it took them hardware 4x as powerful as their competitions previous machine to blow past a games art direction that makes it look technically better than it is.

NZaFnC9.gif

I thought we were getting 4K/60 FPS this gen?

c8c14ac285343d2cab1c68faa34d0ab4.gif

Will there be native 4K/60 games? Absolutely. Will developers prioritize native 4K over dynamic 4K, with the former giving them less headroom for visual effects + lower framerates while the latter gives them more headroom for more impressive graphics + higher framerates? I think the fuck not.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
1440p and above plus 60fps and I'm happy. I don't think I'll get this game as i haven't played the Ps4 game much. But at least console owners are getting a 60fps option. Although I thought the game looked graphically impressive at 30fps it looks too busy with lots of things all on screen, so at 60fps it will play a lot lot better in those busy moments.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I fully expect native 1440p/30 to eventually be the target for all these games. Call me when Gears 6 is running on Unreal 5 with ray tracing, 60 FPS, native 4K etc and I’ll say you’re on the right track. Also, never forget Uncharted 4 looked like this at one point.

That's literally a render farm trailer that could not run in real time, as confirmed by Naughty Dog. You picked the worst possible example you could have here, short of the Killzone 2 one lol.

turtlepowa

Banned
Wish people would stop being so concerned with numbers and focus on how the game actually looks and just appreciate that.
It's a Sony game, so chances are good. The Ryse 900p thread here had 37 pages in 24 hours and had to be closed even though it was by far the best looking game on consoles and there was another thread with 20 pages. I don't think we make it to page 5 here, because it seems to be fine.

Reindeer

That's literally a render farm trailer that could not run in real time, as confirmed by Naughty Dog. You picked the worst possible example you could have here, short of the Killzone 2 one lol.
Naughty Dog keeping that CGI Sony legacy intact with these pre rendered and unrealistic trailers for the reveal of their games. They did come very close with Nate's render, but the foliage and framerate are a whole generation ahead, lol.

Neo_game

So we're basically seeing the seesaw effect with the way the PS5's variable frequencies work.

Higher framerate with lower resolution when using the CPU the most.

Higher resolutions with lower framerates when using the GPU the most.

Makes sense.

Not sure if serious. Most games are gpu dependent and moreover even if we assume that cpu clock running say 3.5ghz to say 3.2ghz will have very little impact in fps.

Last edited:

Orpheum

Great news. Especially since insomniac statet that they weren't going for 60fps anymore a couple of years back. So looking forward to this game

I think 4K is still a waste of resources on console where the specs are so limited due to the price and need to stay within a certain power and temperature target.

1080p does look very poor IQ wise and it’s always a shock when I play something on base PS4 after being on PC or Xbox One X but 1440p or a dynamic 4K are hard to tell apart from native 4K if it’s not a side by side (on my screen at least).

60fps “target” doesn’t sound great though. Will need a VRR screen I guess this gen as I’m super sensitive to frame rate fluctuations.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I have to imagine that most of the people saying 1440 and 4K are hard to tell apart are basing this on playing on a PS4 Pro, where pretty much anything that's 4K was just reconstructed 4K and not native 4K to begin with. On a good 4K tv with actual Native 4K games vs 1440p it's easily noticeable.

You must be gaming on 15 inch monitor.
55inch though have the money sitting there for a 65inch+ OLED once we move so I'll probably be back here complaining about how poor 1440p IQ is.

I can see why people with bigger screens or who sit closer think 1440p looks like a mess as I find the IQ of 1080p disgusting now when I obviously didn't previously so I'm not saying 4k is useless just that you make too many sacrifices when consoles are so limited. Maybe next gen..

I'd never play on PC at anything under native res DLSS aside.

Ar¢tos

It's funny that people expect a 20% gpu difference to guarantee native 4k for a whole gen...
Dynamic res and reconstruction techniques will soon be standard in both machines for big games.
Ratchet with dynamic res is still 100x prettier than Craig at native 4k.

Wait for 3rd party games running on both consoles before you try to compare machines.

Reindeer

55inch though have the money sitting there for a 65inch+ OLED once we move so I'll probably be back here complaining about how poor 1440p IQ is.

I can see why people with bigger screens or who sit closer think 1440p looks like a mess as I find the IQ of 1080p disgusting now when I obviously didn't previously so I'm not saying 4k is useless just that you make too many sacrifices when consoles are so limited. Maybe next gen..

I'd never play on PC at anything under native res DLSS aside.
I hope you don't have an issue with poor eyesight as not being able to see difference at 55 inches doesn't sound right.

CrysisFreak

Banned
G5_GC19_Marcus_Solo.jpg

-Native 4K
-60FPS
-Ray Tracing
-Ultra textures assets
This is literally a last-gen game with last-gen assets.
You can see his model doesn't have enough polygons. Check out his shoulders and his ears.
And don't get me started on the environment.
Come on this doesn't compete with Ratchet.
It's Black Ops Cold War tier. Time to stop being delusional boyo.

Bodomism

Banned
This is literally a last-gen game with last-gen assets.
You can see his model doesn't have enough polygons. Check out his shoulders and his ears.
And don't get me started on the environment.
Come on this doesn't compete with Ratchet.
It's Black Ops Cold War tier. Time to stop being delusional boyo.
Native 4K, 60FPS, RT and ultra setting assets. Show me native 4K60FPS+RT enabled game on PS5 and XSX that looks this good. Performance mode with lower than Native 4K resolution without RT and resolution mode with 30FPS don't count.

I'll wait.

Riky

$MSFT
It's Dynamic 4K at 30fps? Or only dynamic in performance mode? Isn't clear to me. I find it hard to believe it's not even 4k 30.

Damigos

I dont care if its dynamic or native or whatever. I care about what i see, nothing else. So far, this is the most impressive looking next gen game

Bodomism

Banned
Dynamic 4K and 30FPS is very underwhelming. At least tone down a couple of graphical levels to bump the resolution to the native 4K.

McCheese

We've seen this running for 10 minutes, is anything in this announcement contradictory to what's already been shown?

Top Bottom