• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Leading Platformers into the Next Level [No Spoilers]

Did you enjoy R&C: Rift Apart?

• Total voters
Whatever it is, platformer or not - I liked it more than basically every other platformer (except for super Mario odyssey). But that's because I like shooting things probably. I think it's actually being undersold as an experience. YES the graphics are the best ever currently, but also, in combination with the dual sense - it feels "new" in the way it plays. And it's got awesome variety with the minigames and different set pieces. Really feels like a next gen experience, I can honestly say I enjoyed this just as much as Last of Us 2. Also can I say I absolutely LOVE whatever they're doing with the damage models or whatever - like you really feel like you're destroying enemies completely and visually seeing them blow apart and physically feeling it

GymWolf

As bad as he says? All I saw him say is that it's not game of the year in terms of gameplay which is pretty fair.
It's a good platformer but it's not like it's as good as Mario or something.
It's not a platformer.

It's like saying that mario is a brawler because you kill something every once in a while.

Mario is mediocre because even knack has far better combat...see how it works?!

Ogbert

I was just wondering since first you said platforming in the game is pretty much non existent and now, that the game is really small.
This platforming thing keeps coming up.

I'm honestly not trying to be contrary, but I can only think of a handful of moments of 'jumping' that might qualify as 'platforming'. There's the rift where you have to shoot away some crates in order to reach the armor, and another where the platforms become invisible. It's no more a platformer than sunset overdrive is. It's so blatantly a third person action shooter with lots of guns.

Anyway, no point disagreeing. Absolutely loved it. Best visuals in a console game and the guns were a blast. I just think it's too short. I fully get that people will disagree with me, but I do think there's a legitimate discussion to be had about Sony's current first party titles and their price of entry. Had zero issues with Demon Souls as it's a title that lends itself to replayability, but both Ratchet and Returnal have left me feeling a little short changed.

Ogbert

but also, in combination with the dual sense - it feels "new" in the way it plays.
I believe that the adaptive triggers are actually the best feature of the PS5.

I *loved* how they implemented it in this game. The machine gun, in particular, is brilliantly conceived; the controller feels as if it's jangling around in your hands and difficult to control. The only one I struggled with slightly was the shotgun as the individual shot versus the dual shot can be difficult to distinguish.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!

I'm honestly not trying to be contrary, but I can only think of a handful of moments of 'jumping' that might qualify as 'platforming'. There's the rift where you have to shoot away some crates in order to reach the armor, and another where the platforms become invisible. It's no more a platformer than sunset overdrive is. It's so blatantly a third person action shooter with lots of guns.

Anyway, no point disagreeing. Absolutely loved it. Best visuals in a console game and the guns were a blast. I just think it's too short. I fully get that people will disagree with me, but I do think there's a legitimate discussion to be had about Sony's current first party titles and their price of entry. Had zero issues with Demon Souls as it's a title that lends itself to replayability, but both Ratchet and Returnal have left me feeling a little short changed.
I agreed to you that the game is not a platformer but there is platforming in the game. More than just a bit.
But since you don't count things like the grappling hook, the dash or wall running as platforming it might make sense in your eyes.

I think it could be longer but i'm happy with what is on offer here.

GymWolf

I believe that the adaptive triggers are actually the best feature of the PS5.

I *loved* how they implemented it in this game. The machine gun, in particular, is brilliantly conceived; the controller feels as if it's jangling around in your hands and difficult to control. The only one I struggled with slightly was the shotgun as the individual shot versus the dual shot can be difficult to distinguish.
Reading that only make me feel happier that i disabled that thing without even trying it :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Yes, you can turn off the gear/armor (the advantages that each offer will remain, if I understood the help text); just toggle it off by pressing over the armor that is equipped and it should revert to the defautl.
Oh snap thanks ima try it out in a moment!

I been running around(and im pretty far) with no armor getting stomped by the tougher enemies lmao

GymWolf

Oh snap thanks ima try it out in a moment!

I been running around(and im pretty far) with no armor getting stomped by the tougher enemies lmao
You still get all the armour bonuses without wearing any armour.

Strange choice on their part, i guess they didn't wanted to ruin the look of the protagonists by forcing you to wear something.

Like for example my rivet doens't wear any boots because i can't get enough of her fluffy feets.

/s

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
Can’t say I did. It’s the same ratchet game I’ve played for 20 years, plus I feel like the series peaked with either Up or Arsenal or Crack in Time depending on the day and they haven’t done anything interesting since.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Action adventure or cartoony tps, i fucking hate platformers and i love ratchet saga.

Nobody buy ratchet for the little platform you find in it.

It's the full package: Action Adventure, Platforming (that's how it's described on Metacritic as well), storytelling, shooter, puzzle solving, etc.

Comparing it to any classic platformer make them look so bad and outdated, Mario 3D World? Methos#1975 Methos#1975 this would've been fun 20 years ago.

Super-mario-3d-world-2013611162028_1.jpg

It really looks, plays, and feels so bad in comparison, it's really embarrassing to compare the two. Mario 3D is a very good, simple platformer, but it's just R&C is too good and surpassed the standards of this stagnant genre.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Something really funny happened saturday afternoon with the game. So my brother and I are both trying to plat it and play the hell out of it, and he only lets my nephew & niece play games on the weekends..No bullshit within 5 mins of loading it up they both said "Its too much going on, on screen" and that they didnt like it.

He looked at me and laughed and said "Perfect I don't have to share this sh*t, all mine" and booted up Fortnite for them :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I love the hell out of this game, no complaints from me or my bro lol

Quick question is there an option to disable the appearance of your equipped armor/gear like in some other games? Cause I really would like to finish my playthrough wearing the default gear, if I DID have to make a complaint its that I don't really like how any of the gear looks

Yes, you can choose whatever suit/parts you want and still have the perks on. I usually use no helmets and sometimes combine different parts ;)

Nice review! While there are bits of text that I don't really understand, there's great effort put into covering many aspects of the game, providing quality screenshots and also consideration towards people who are averse to spoilers.

However there are no details on audio besides that one point in the Pros & Cons section, lol. Still, I like that you talked about the haptics; good vibrations should always be talked about.

Yeah I'm sorry if my wording isn't clear in sometimes, but I'm being very cautious not to spoil stuff as if this review is mainly for the ones who didn't play the game yet or still waiting.

3D audio is just positional audio with all stuff inside the game has its own unique sound emitters making the city feel full and lively. The more games you play with 3D it just feels standard to you, but when you shut down 3D audio and shift to 7.1 it sounds HORRENDOUS! It really sends you a generation back. It's like if you're used to drive a Ferrari for sometime then shifting to Toyota Prius.

You may ask about any aspect you would need further details about and would use the spoiler cover if it has any spoilers. Thanks for your comment!

• Genre(s): Action, Platformer, 3D

Reading that only make me feel happier that i disabled that thing without even trying it :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

He is WEAK! I think that's a bit hyperbole, my less-than-3-years-old daughter would handle it with no problem. It actually feels so satisfying. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Ratchet and clank games were always a lot of fun. This one just takes everything to level 11.

Edit: for some reason the quality shown here is lower than the actual image that was uploaded. Maybe will host somewhere else later.

Taken from this post on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/gallery/nzyfy1

I know this is photo mode but there are scenes with ray tracing that look that good during the gameplay.

That’s why I am laughing at people saying the stuff shown for Xbox this week is “way ahead” of PS5.

It’s like …man, you don’t even know what you’re missing right now.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I know this is photo mode but there are scenes with ray tracing that look that good during the gameplay.

That’s why I am laughing at people saying the stuff shown for Xbox this week is “way ahead” of PS5.

Absolutely. 4K ray-traced reflections during gameplay + 60 FPS + LOD0 cutscene assets during gameplay. It's marvelous.

Well since you said platformer and not third person action adventure I'd have to disagree. In terms of puzzles and platforming I think It Takes Two is a much better game than Ratchet tbh. I know it has forced co-op that lets you do things from a creative point of view that you can't do in a single player game but it was a fantastic experience if you have someone to play through it with. It was one of the most inventive games I've played all while being held back by last gen so I'm looking forward to what Hazelight do next.

Ratchet obviously looks better (although It Takes Two is beautiful too) and is a top tier action game that has way better combat and controls about as well as anything I've played.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Well since you said platformer and not third person action adventure I'd have to disagree. In terms of puzzles and platforming I think It Takes Two is a much better game than Ratchet tbh. I know it has forced co-op that lets you do things from a creative point of view that you can't do in a single player game but it was a fantastic experience if you have someone to play through it with. It was one of the most inventive games I've played all while being held back by last gen so I'm looking forward to what Hazelight do next.

Ratchet obviously looks better (although It Takes Two is beautiful too) and is a top tier action game that has way better combat and controls about as well as anything I've played.

Just to make my point clear: I don't think R&C is the best in platforming alone, my whole point was providing a much bigger experience than what simple platformers been giving us in the last 30+ years. Insane gameplay diversity, platforming included, amazing shooter with 20 unique and different weapons with nice upgrade route, unmatched graphics and IQ, wonderful storytelling that's literally an animated film digested by a game. It's the complete package, you might find some "platformers" excel in one or two of these, but none will provide this perfect level of top quality in all fields.

Last edited:

Ogbert

It's the full package: Action Adventure, Platforming (that's how it's described on Metacritic as well), storytelling, shooter, puzzle solving, etc.

Comparing it to any classic platformer make them look so bad and outdated, Mario 3D World? Methos#1975 Methos#1975 this would've been fun 20 years ago.

Super-mario-3d-world-2013611162028_1.jpg

It really looks, plays, and feels so bad in comparison, it's really embarrassing to compare the two. Mario 3D is a very good, simple platformer, but it's just R&C is too good and surpassed the standards of this stagnant genre.
You’re trying way, way too hard with this.

Ratchet and Clank is stunning, probably the most visually impressive console game ever released. But the gameplay is beyond simple. It’s a lot of fun, but it’s also one of the easiest games I’ve played in years. There’s zero challenge, which is why we’ve all platinumed it within a weekend.

Mario 3D world is, in contrast, a Nintendo classic. It starts easy, but the main game prepares you for the proper challenge - which is the off world levels post game. They’re inventive, amazing and hard.

In terms of gameplay and game design, it’s nowhere near 3D World.

shubik

Can we talk for a second about the sound design of the weapons? This shit is excellent! The shotgun has such a crisp and punchy sound to it. playing this game with a good pair of headphones adds a lot to the already fantastic presentation. I´m almost done with the story and I can already say that this is one of the most fun games I have played in a long time.

Ogbert

Can we talk for a second about the sound design of the weapons? This shit is excellent! The shotgun has such a crisp and punchy sound to it. playing this game with a good pair of headphones adds a lot to the already fantastic presentation. I´m almost done with the story and I can already say that this is one of the most fun games I have played in a long time.
It’s phenomenal.

I conducted the ‘Destiny test’ yesterday. Switching between the games, R&C’s gun design, feedback and sound is on par with D2. Obviously different genres - and D2 is much more ‘realistic’, so to speak.

But R&C is the new good standard of 3rd person action, in terms of how the game feels to play.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Great game. Not my favorite PS5 exclusive (that would be Demon's Souls, followed by Returnal), but it was fun and gorgeous.

Ratchet and Clank humor has always been mediocre to me though.
I've never been huge on Ratchet humors, hit and miss, but Nefarious screaming, "Doesn't anyone print instruction manuals anymore" had me chuckle!

Rea

Photo mode and gameplay with fidelity mode is basically the same thing. Its not like photo mode changes the whole scene into CGI bullshots.
I always try to pause and move my camera as close as possible to objects during gameplay (fidelity mode) then i compare with photo mode, they look the same damn thing.

MaKTaiL

I loved the implementation of the adaptive triggers for the Sniper the most. Pressing half way to aim and all the way down to slow time was a simple but genious idea. It made me think that this could be implemented in Battlefield for exemple. You aim halfway and hold your breath when pressed all the way down.

Last edited:
I've never been huge on Ratchet humors, hit and miss, but Nefarious screaming, "Doesn't anyone print instruction manuals anymore" had me chuckle!
There are definitely a few parts that were genuinely pretty funny. Usually it comes off as Nickelodeon where only kids would find that funny, instead of Pixar, where people of all ages can find that funny for different reasons.

Ogbert

I loved the implementation of the adaptive triggers for the Sniper the most. Pressing half way to aim and all the way down to slow time was a simple but genious idea. It made me think that this could be implemented in Battlefield for exemple. You aim halfway and hold your breath when pressed all the way down.
Yeah, the sniper is done really well.

Adaptive triggers are new, so it will take a bit of time to work out what’s best. I think, on the whole, I like the ‘press variation’ being applied on the left trigger (so aiming or alternate fire).

I’m not such a fan of variation on the right trigger. The shotgun is fun, but its too easy to confuse single shot and dual shot. Obviously doesn’t matter in a game like R&C, but where precision is more important, it probably won’t work.

Yeah I'm sorry if my wording isn't clear in sometimes, but I'm being very cautious not to spoil stuff as if this review is mainly for the ones who didn't play the game yet or still waiting.

3D audio is just positional audio with all stuff inside the game has its own unique sound emitters making the city feel full and lively. The more games you play with 3D it just feels standard to you, but when you shut down 3D audio and shift to 7.1 it sounds HORRENDOUS! It really sends you a generation back. It's like if you're used to drive a Ferrari for sometime then shifting to Toyota Prius.

You may ask about any aspect you would need further details about and would use the spoiler cover if it has any spoilers. Thanks for your comment!
Hey no worries, unless I feel it's an important point that I'm missing I typically take small parts that I don't understand in my stride.

Ah, actually when I gave feedback on audio, it's not just about the technical aspects. When I read your review I realized I did not know how you felt about the game's (imagine Karak saying this) sound, music and voice, lol.

Sidenote: you know the Horizon Forbidden West gameplay trailer thread? That trailer had a lot of fantastic music done for it (dynamic implementation with very interesting and varied instruments) yet I think I counted less than ten comments picking up on it, it's a bit of a shame really.

And yea once again respect to you for being considerate about spoilers. I'm mostly numb to them myself but I do my best to avoid spoiling stuff for others too, so yea, great job!

MaKTaiL

Just got the platinum trophy. God tier game quality all around. Insomniac are absolute gods! Can't wait for the next one:

Big potential for a coop sequel and origin story for the Lombax.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Amazing review (just straight to point, no bullshit). Will play it on next (this) weekend, because I have some family meeting, my brother has this game on his PS, can't wait!

Awsome review bro!
This game is so good! I would rate it a 10/10, it is and probably will be my GOTY!
I'm playing in Fidelity mode , i keep switching between modes and i find the fidelity mode the prettiest, i kept switching from performance RT and Fidelity and i could see some aliasing problems in the distance on RT mode .

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You’re trying way, way too hard with this.

Ratchet and Clank is stunning, probably the most visually impressive console game ever released. But the gameplay is beyond simple. It’s a lot of fun, but it’s also one of the easiest games I’ve played in years. There’s zero challenge, which is why we’ve all platinumed it within a weekend.

Mario 3D world is, in contrast, a Nintendo classic. It starts easy, but the main game prepares you for the proper challenge - which is the off world levels post game. They’re inventive, amazing and hard.

In terms of gameplay and game design, it’s nowhere near 3D World.

Platform only, won't argue there. Hmm, let me give it to you this way, Mario might have the best fires, but the whole meal is bland compared to the big variety that R&C meal offers. :messenger_winking_tongue:

One of the weakest points of the game is difficulty, as highlighted on the OP. To me for pure platforming alone I liked Rayman Legends the most in recent memory. I would say AstroBot is the direct competitor to Crash, Mario, Sonic, etc. Those are very simple games imho, you can enjoy them fully, but would never rate them as GOTY level as they lack the complete package that games like R&C provides.

Hey no worries, unless I feel it's an important point that I'm missing I typically take small parts that I don't understand in my stride.

Ah, actually when I gave feedback on audio, it's not just about the technical aspects. When I read your review I realized I did not know how you felt about the game's (imagine Karak saying this) sound, music and voice, lol.

Sidenote: you know the Horizon Forbidden West gameplay trailer thread? That trailer had a lot of fantastic music done for it (dynamic implementation with very interesting and varied instruments) yet I think I counted less than ten comments picking up on it, it's a bit of a shame really.

And yea once again respect to you for being considerate about spoilers. I'm mostly numb to them myself but I do my best to avoid spoiling stuff for others too, so yea, great job!

Although 3D audio has been great so far, I think Horizon FW is the first game that will use raytraced audio/physics. It'll be interesting to see how it's feel but raytraced 3D audio is a massive step over regular 3D audio. I think most engines are still not 100% ready to bring the full next-gen experience, but so far so good on PS5.

Amazing review (just straight to point, no bullshit). Will play it on next (this) weekend, because I have some family meeting, my brother has this game on his PS, can't wait!

You'll love it! Amazing game, indeed ;)

Awsome review bro!
This game is so good! I would rate it a 10/10, it is and probably will be my GOTY!
I'm playing in Fidelity mode , i keep switching between modes and i find the fidelity mode the prettiest, i kept switching from performance RT and Fidelity and i could see some aliasing problems in the distance on RT mode .

Yeah aliasing could happen in some places, but it's usually pretty rare. Aliasing could even happen to Fidelity mode in rare places like that lava factory.

Top Bottom