• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet And Clank: Rift Apart Story Playthrough (5 hours and 20 minutes - no challenges, sidequests etc)

mod edit: user was banned for disingenuously framing thread. They are on permanent ban notice. The youtube comments have been added to OP and title updated to reflect the topic better. These discussions have been had before (e.g. The Order 1886 being 6/7 hours). We advise you not to get overly sensitive to the playtime of a youtuber. It is clearly specified what the player did and there is a video record of their playstyle; you are welcome to draw whatever conclusions you want from them.

Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart Walkthrough that shows the full game from start to end.

- Difficulty: Rebel Agent (Normal)
- No Deaths from Combat (but a few platforming falling deaths)
- Includes all Cutscenes
- Includes some side quests and collectibles, but not all of them (neither a speedrun nor 100% completion run).
- Includes all Clank & Glitch Spider Puzzles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kuranghi

I always have to multiply How Long to Beat times by about 2.5x to find how long it will take me personally, this probably means I'll spend 20+ hours on it, which is perfect for me. These games aren't made to be played for more than that, the gameplay gets stale.

thatJohann

I actually love short games so this is good news for me since I have very limited time. However, I did feel a bit uncomfortable spending $70 plus tax on this game. It's my first $70 game this gen.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I starting to think that The Chairman The Chairman just sit infront of his PC 24 hours, nit picking every single Playstation game, or find any article or video and try to "spin" in into a new anti Sony thread every week.

How many times you want to get ban seriously lol

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Numerous sites have said the game is about the same length as pervious titles. Not at all worried about a Let's Play wanting to get their video out first.

That next gen tax

Gosh I'm glad you said it, because this comment is NEVER going to get uninteresting or irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Soodanim

Gold Member
While Ratchet’s value in the past was always the challenge runs and getting the multiplier up to 20x to watch the counter fly up so I wouldn’t be bothered personally, it’s a shame that the push for $70 games has reframed every game’s value into something slightly less ideal.

I guess this is the low end of the spectrum for game length. These YouTubers are normally trying to speed through the game as much as possible, avoiding any side content and not stopping to smell the flowers so they can get their full playthrough up first for views.

So on average I would say it’s at least 10 hours if this was about 6 hours speeding through.

Most reviewers had the game for a week or so before the review embargo and so they were able to take their time and most clocked in at 12-18 hours.

Not too concerned about length. That’s about standard for this series. Just makes my head scratch and wonder if the people worried never played a game in the series before?

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I always have to multiply How Long to Beat times by about 2.5x to find how long it will take me personally, this probably means I'll spend 20+ hours on it, which is perfect for me. These games aren't made to be played for more than that, the gameplay gets stale.
but 5 times 2.5 is not 20+.

I'll still buy it and play it, and most likely enjoy it... but that's very disappointing (for €70), there's no way around it. Oh well, Village was sort of short too (for example, my Shadows playthrough was just short of 3 hours) and it was a phenomenal experience.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Didn't expect the game to be this short, it should have been cheaper than $70. what do you guys think?

Can the mods lock this bullcrap thread? We know how long it is from people who have played it. No need to pose speed runners as the average play through.

We did this EXACT thing with the PS4 game. Some guy beat it in 5 hours on his first play through then we found out it wasn't that short.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am not paying 90usd for this... I don't care if it's 6 or 12 hours. I would pay 100 if it was duke nukem forever incomplete 2001 build :p it's a matter of what do you like.

I don't think it's a bad thing for games to be short. Village took me 16 hours real time and in-game timer showed 11 hours. It does not count pause time etc

Last edited:

Nyxir

Numerous sites have said the game is about the same length as pervious titles. Not at all worried about a Let's Play wanting to get their video out first.

Gosh I'm glad you said it, because this comment is NEVER going to get uninteresting or irrelevant to the topic at hand.
You are welcome.
And this is with cutscenes? Damn.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Is this a Dishonored situation where a YouTube leaker put it on easy and literally blasted through the enemies running to the end, getting the "bad" ending and going, "lol, game sucks."

I am not paying 90usd for this... I don't care if it's 6 or 12 hours. I would pay 100 if it was duke nukem forever incomplete 2001 build :p it's a matter of what do you like.

I don't think it's a bad thing for games to be short. Village took me 16 hours real time and in-game timer showed 11 hours. It does not count pause time etc
my man lol GIF by Steve Harvey TV

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I don't mind shorter games....but I do feel for Playstation 5 owners who are going to be done with this after a weekend and then wonder "When is the next PS5 exclusive?" before realizing there isn't one on the calendar yet.

Hopefully that changes over this next week, but I don't have a lot of faith in Sony as of the last six months.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Was it for the platinum? Ratchet is the only series I play on hard then do a second playthrough on the unlocked difficulty to platinum it.

mcjmetroid

Yep I said I wasn't going to trust reviews on this game.

It's one of the first showcases of a PS5 game, reviewers were always gonna jizz themselves.

fart town usa

Gold Member
star wars lack of faith GIF

Yea, if you rush through a game it's going to be short.

I've easily put upwards of 20 hours into all the mainline ratchet games and that's for playthroughs where I don't collect everything.

I don't mind shorter games....but I do feel for Playstation 5 owners who are going to be done with this after a weekend and then wonder "When is the next PS5 exclusive?" before realizing there isn't one on the calendar yet.

Hopefully that changes over this next week, but I don't have a lot of faith in Sony as of the last six months.
That's why I don't get people who only play new exclusives. Even if I owned every single console (I almost do in fact), I wouldn't have anything to play for the majority of the year lmao.

nbkicker

If its similar time to finish to the last one on ps4 then im ok with that as normaly do a quick play through getting most things, then another play through grabbing everything, resident evil village took me 8-9 hrs on first play through and didnt get loads of stuff, yet speed runners where doing it in few hrs

lh032

Can the mods lock this bullcrap thread? We know how long it is from people who have played it. No need to pose speed runners as the average play through.

We did this EXACT thing with the PS4 game. Some guy beat it in 5 hours on his first play through then we found out it wasn't that short.
look at his previous message history, hes like...VERY anti Sony kinda person. Im not joking here. He got banned several times, never gave up lol

Last edited:
Only 5 hours and 20 minutes? And $70? And no multiplayer or co-op modes (that I am aware of? Correct me if I'm wrong here)? That's kinda....look, I don't think you should measure a game's worth by its length, but there's been free DLC expansion content for other quality games that length or more, for free or much cheaper in price at new.

Considering that's 5 hours and 2 minutes including cutscenes, take a safe guess there and that's probably 1 hour of cutscenes as an average so you're left with only about 4 hours of gaming content? Two tickets to two 2-hour movies probably looks like a better value in a monetary sense tbh.

That said, maybe this person only played through some parts of the campaign and skipped a decent amount of content, that is a possibility. I know there is replayability in the type of abilities you can use on given missions which is a trademark of the series but I don't know how much gamers are gonna dig that without a decent amount of unique scenarios to try it on, and it's not like the R&C games are inherently built on a replay value that's driven by mastery of the game mechanics.

In any case, I was at least expecting something closer to a 10-hour campaign.

EDIT: Wait, is that just a speedrun of the game and not the average playthrough length? So they ARE skipping a ton of content, in this case just for speedrun purposes?

If so the OP is extremely misleading tbh.

Last edited:

Unknown?

I thought most reviews clocked it at 10-13?

Most reviewers and people who got it early, yes. We did this exact same thing with the PS4 game. Someone beat it in 5 hours and everyone freaked but we soon discovered the average person took double that.

Last edited:
Only 5 hours and 20 minutes? And $70? And no multiplayer or co-op modes (that I am aware of? Correct me if I'm wrong here)? That's kinda....look, I don't think you should measure a game's worth by its length, but there's been free DLC expansion content for other quality games that length or more, for free or much cheaper in price at new.

Considering that's 5 hours and 2 minutes including cutscenes, take a safe guess there and that's probably 1 hour of cutscenes as an average so you're left with only about 4 hours of gaming content? Two tickets to two 2-hour movies probably looks like a better value in a monetary sense tbh.

That said, maybe this person only played through some parts of the campaign and skipped a decent amount of content, that is a possibility. I know there is replayability in the type of abilities you can use on given missions which is a trademark of the series but I don't know how much gamers are gonna dig that without a decent amount of unique scenarios to try it on, and it's not like the R&C games are inherently built on a replay value that's driven by mastery of the game mechanics.

In any case, I was at least expecting something closer to a 10-hour campaign.
I think it's closer to 10 hours for the average person. Probably worth it if you can get it for a normal price (not 80 euros lmao).

nbkicker

Plus i thought the developers said there is a load of mini extra rifts to find and explore so depends if person just went along to finish story quickly instead of exploring

Last edited:

lh032

I think it's closer to 10 hours for the average person. Probably worth it if you can get it for a normal price (not 80 euros lmao).
its more than 10 hours actually, and if you include challenges and new game plus and other side quest, it will be even longer than village i believe.

Hahahaha I would also pay $100 or more for the DNF 2001 build.

Make it happen Gearbox!

Well that's a short playthrough.... Looks amazing in the video. But it didn't seem to have that "keep playing me" mechanic. Maybe people will replay this game a billion times. Not me though

Flabagast

I mean you should just compare it to Ratchet PS4. This one had more or less the same length, it was a technical showcase at launch as well.. and it cost only only 40$

Fbh

I thought most reviews clocked it at 10-13?

Yeah. Most review say 10-15

But as in most games, if you set it to easy and rush to the objective you can really cut back on that time. Even more so in a game like ratchet where you usually take your time to explore the locations

Top Bottom