• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare's 'totally niche pirate GAAS game' Sea of Thieves now has 30 million players

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
why isn't this multiplat!!! i have 3 playstations in the house (4,Pro & 5) and i would love to play this with the kids.. damn you MS and this excellent looking game

ManaByte

Blinking The Office GIF

I didn't ask a question.

No you just made a bullshit shitpost claiming a free update was paid MTX.

From what I know there is zero player progression in this game. I fail to see any worth in it.

What the hell are you talking about? There's progression and an endgame.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
How many people have actually purchased the game? I don't care about how many people downloaded it and tried it, that doesn't tell me anything about how many people actually wanted the game.
5m on Steam alone as of December 2021.

How many have bought the game on Xbox and the Microsoft Store? I don’t know. I own it on Xbox. I think it’s fair to say this game might be more popular on PC, but if I was to conservatively estimate total sales I’d say 8m would be on the lower end.

Banjo64

cumsessed
From what I know there is zero player progression in this game. I fail to see any worth in it.
I just treat it like custom games in Halo: MCC.

It’s just a laugh. Good if you have someone to play with.

I’d played with my nephew for about 20 hours overall when a Kraken literally picked me up when my character was drunk and it started shaking me about. I had no idea the Kraken could do that. We were laughing our heads off.

Another time I said ‘turn around’ to him when I was behind him. He turned slowly and I lobbed a nade at his head which pushed him off the ship.

It’s just a funny game if you just want to do silly stuff and have fun.

Everyone talking about sales numbers, nobody asking the real question about how much money the game makes via MTX. Game sale revenue is likely gonna be peanuts compared to that number. You guys are mentally stuck in an ancient business model :messenger_beaming:
I bought the Banjo set with the golden figure head but subsidised it with MS reward points. They’ll be making dough.

pasterpl

How many people have actually purchased the game? I don't care about how many people downloaded it and tried it, that doesn't tell me anything about how many people actually wanted the game.
We know that at least 5m purchased it on steam in 18 months since it was released. Steamspy estimates owners between 5-10m + we don’t know exact numbers for Microsoft pc store and Xbox sales. From steam alone they have made at least 200m usd in revenue. We have no idea about other store fronts, and mtx revenues. But this game is probably the most successful Rare game in terms of player base and profit.

Chukhopops

One thing that comes to mind when people in online games start communicating is "sufferable personality".
You can communicate with random players in SoT but the main idea is to communicate with your crew. Even if you have just one friend it’s a great experience but you need at least that.
We know that at least 5m purchased it on steam in 18 months since it was released. Steamspy estimates owners between 5-10m + we don’t know exact numbers for Microsoft pc store and Xbox sales. From steam alone they have made at least 200m usd in revenue. We have no idea about other store fronts, and mtx revenues. But this game is probably the most successful Rare game in terms of player base and profit.
Also keep in mind there have been over two years between the Xbox / MS store release and the Steam one. No way to tell but I think the game actually sold more overall on Xbox / MS store due to the head start.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Xbox:
KHtvWc7.png

Steam:
SxaljHW.png
I’m not sure what this is supposed to show, but the numbers aren’t bad at all. They’re actually good for a pirate game.

On Xbox every region has a different chart. I’m guessing yours is the US one, where it’s at 33? In the UK it’s sitting slightly higher at 29.

On Steam the peak monthly player count has been between 20k and 36k since November last year.

It’s lowest concurrent user count on Steam over the last week (12k) is much higher than Halo Infinite’s highest concurrent player count (7.8k). SoT’s highest concurrent player count this week was 27k.

When you factor in Xbox and MS Store cross play it’s likely that there’s around 40k-50k playing this game every day at peak times and around 15k-20k playing it at off peak.

Season 6 released 3 months ago too so it’s not like there’s even anything boosting the numbers at present.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

It's ridiculous to count people that logged in once or twice with a sub as players of the game. How many active players are there currently on a daily basis is the only relevant question for a live service game.

tmlDan

Wouldn't be an Xbox success thread without the blue boys swarming in to downplay and troll :messenger_beaming:
You do the same thing in the other sides threads, stop acting like you don't.

who tf called this game niche btw, they be outta their minds - this games is the definition of E for everyone lol

Boss Mog

Wouldn't be an Xbox success thread without the blue boys swarming in to downplay and troll :messenger_beaming:
There wouldn't be a need to if the title wasn't so incendiary and inaccurate. Title should read "Over 30 million players have tried Sea of Thieves", anything else is nonsense.

lefty1117

Gold Member
i wish it was a little friendlier to the single player, but I do really like it. Great art, fun world they created. I sure wish Rare would do a Grabbed By The Ghoulies reboot...

Kev Kev

I was standing on the shore and a ship approached. A guy told me he is not going to kill me and just gave me shitloads of chests. I’m lucky, I guess.
thats the beauty of games like this. i used to do stuff for people like that. its always more satisfying to work together or help people imo, as opposed to killing everything

anthony2690

Banned
why isn't this multiplat!!! i have 3 playstations in the house (4,Pro & 5) and i would love to play this with the kids.. damn you MS and this excellent looking game
Buy an Xbox for the household and see how game pass works for you and the kids, would be a lot of fun playing some new titles, unless funds are issue then ignore this comment. (As I know gaming isn't cheap)

Everyone talking about sales numbers, nobody asking the real question about how much money the game makes via MTX. Game sale revenue is likely gonna be peanuts compared to that number. You guys are mentally stuck in an ancient business model :messenger_beaming:
I actually purchased the game on disc, but I purchased the latest plunder pass what was about £7, loved the ship set you could unlock with it & I was quite happy to pay for it as the game has provided me with 21days 22 hours of playtime.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Every single thread I go in is blue snakes trying to downplay everything...like everything.

Cmon guys, let us green rats have some fun over these days we green rats have a lot to look forward too over the next 12 months .....the games a huge success and has had years of support and people love it. What's the problem?

Came in to say congrats Rare they really made something special with this game and it just keeps getting better.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

There wouldn't be a need to if the title wasn't so incendiary and inaccurate. Title should read "Over 30 million players have tried Sea of Thieves", anything else is nonsense.
yeah thats fair

but at the same time, this is a marketing move that every company on planet earth does. so anyone who doesnt live under a rock should be able to figure out that the statement is implying how many have tried the game, not how many current players there are.

i think the point mana is trying to make is that the game is wildly popular despite people hating on it and calling it niche. and that part is factual, with or without the corporate marketing speak

Every single thread I go in is blue snakes trying to downplay everything...like everything.

Cmon guys, let us green rats have some fun over these days we green rats have a lot to look forward too over the next 12 months .....the games a huge success and has had years of support and people love it. What's the problem?

Came in to say congrats Rare they really made something special with this game and it just keeps getting better.
kevinchang6mkkg.jpg

anthony2690

Banned

Cmon guys, let us green rats have some fun over these days we green rats have a lot to look forward too over the next 12 months .....the games a huge success and has had years of support and people love it. What's the problem.
It's genuinely sad.
Literally every thread about a game at the event, has the usual suspects being negative, downplaying, sharing some console warrior twitter nonsense and it just devolves into ruining the thread about the game and turns into some console warriors arguing over stupid shit.

I really like neogaf and I really like video games and sharing my excitement for them, but some off the unsavoury people here really suck the fun out off it & make me not even want to bother engaging.

There is one user with an anime pfp literally in every thread insulting every game/or studio, it's genuinely weird behaviour, especially when you realise it's probably a grown ass man too.

Schmick

It's genuinely sad.
Literally every thread about a game at the event, has the usual suspects being negative, downplaying, sharing some console warrior twitter nonsense and it just devolves into ruining the thread about the game and turns into some console warriors arguing over stupid shit.

I really like neogaf and I really like video games and sharing my excitement for them, but some off the unsavoury people here really suck the fun out off it & make me not even want to bother engaging.

There is one user with an anime pfp literally in every thread insulting every game/or studio, it's genuinely weird behaviour, especially when you realise it's probably a grown ass man too.
I'd be interested to know what percentage of the 30 million players the down players think only played the for less than an hour.

Meowtor

Gold Member
i bought it on release and have been playing on and off since then. Its really wild seeing how much has been added and fixed up, im happy to dive back into it with the new captain stuff now.

Hezekiah

Banned
Yeah same as Forza Horizon 5.

It would interesting if there was a metric showing the average number of hours played.

Thats great and all, but I still say GaaS updates and DLC should get sidelined to the pre/post/2nd show.
With more and more GaaS games coming from everyone, these shows are going to get really lame if we sit through like 10 GaaS updates.

Hezekiah

Banned
There's that lie again. In FH5 in order to be counted on the leaderboard in-game, you actually have to play through the entire intro and reach the first Horizon festival. It doesn't count people who just boot the game and close it.
What on earth are you talking about?

I'm talking about sales 🤦

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I really like and appreciate rare, but this number has to be taken with a grain of salt.
Am I a "player". I tried it once for an hour......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom